View Full Version : Streetcar

Spartan
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
It didn't seem like there was anything of high importance on the agenda. The bomb shell was dropped at the last meeting. :)

Unless the Oklahoman is printing today... just kidding Steve!

Urban Pioneer
03-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Tuesday morning is probably the most important meeting since the intent language was approved. Phase 1A routing comes up for approval to accept from the committee to City Council.

Email me if your showing up and I'll give you an official streetcar button.

workman45
03-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Tuesday morning is probably the most important meeting since the intent language was approved. Phase 1A routing comes up for approval to accept from the committee to City Council.

Email me if your showing up and I'll give you an official streetcar button.

Where and what time is the meeting?

Spartan
03-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Could I get a bulletin even though I am obviously not going to the meeting?

Urban Pioneer
03-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Where and what time is the meeting?

It looks to be towards the end of the City Council meeting on Tuesday. So probably 9:30ish is a safe time to be there for the presentation.

Urban Pioneer
03-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Per Steve Lackmeyer's blog, an important question indeed...

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2011/03/27/a-ticket-to-ride/

Snowman
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Could I get a bulletin even though I am obviously not going to the meeting?

If it is city council meeting you should be able to access the adgenda, documents and usually a video from here (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/meet.aspx)

Urban Pioneer
03-27-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Gwin Faulconer Show tonight about MAPS 3 streetcar and transit.
7:05PM on 1000 KTOK AM

Larry OKC
03-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Hmmm, thought I posted it here (but possibly in another thread), if so, sorry about the duplicate...

Saw on the Cox City channel a short segment similar to the Mayor's Magazine (at least shot on the same set) with Councilman White and Bowman talking about Bowman's time on the Council and coming departure. Bowman mentioned one of his regrets was not pushing forth the idea of putting a 1 or 2 cent per/gallon City tax on GASOLINE to pay for Mass Transit (buses, "trolleys" etc). Thoughts?

Doug Loudenback
03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
I like it, Larry. Good idea.

BoulderSooner
03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
It looks to be towards the end of the City Council meeting on Tuesday. So probably 9:30ish is a safe time to be there for the presentation.

i don't see the street car 1a route as an agenda item .. is it going to be up for a vote or just be an informational item during the maps 3 report

Urban Pioneer
03-28-2011, 09:55 AM
i don't see the street car 1a route as an agenda item .. is it going to be up for a vote or just be an informational item during the maps 3 report

It appears as though it will be "received" by council towards the end of the meeting as part of the MAPS presentation.

There is a presentation document that seems to be a place holder. We directly conveyed that we wanted this to go to council immediately if it received support from the oversight board, which it did.

So my guess is it will be presented after Mike Mize with ADG presents the overall recommended MAPS 3 programming schedule.

Kerry
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Is this for the Alternative Analysis or the MAPS III street car committee?

Urban Pioneer
03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Is this for the Alternative Analysis or the MAPS III street car committee?

MAPS 3 Transit Streetcar Subcommittee

The recommendation cleared teh Oversight Board on Thursday.

The other important element to reinforce is that we agree with our positioning on the recommended ADG schedule.

Kerry
03-28-2011, 12:46 PM
So what are they actually voting on?

Urban Pioneer
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
So what are they actually voting on?

They are formally "receiving" our recommendation. That "preps" it for design and formal evaluation by engineers. It actually doesn't become a vote until a design/contract is awarded, from what I understand. That is with all of the projects from what I understand.

It is an important moment however. Reassuring them on our beliefs about the proposed schedule is also important.

Kerry
03-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Maybe you can answer this UP (or maybe not). In one of the other threads there is a picture of the Cincinnati Streetcar systems proposed route. Do you know what kind of process they went through to get that route?

Urban Pioneer
03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Maybe you can answer this UP (or maybe not). In one of the other threads there is a picture of the Cincinnati Streetcar systems proposed route. Do you know what kind of process they went through to get that route?

I don't know for sure, but I think they relied heavily on the consultants. If you have been to Cincinnati, the route they chose is quite intuitive. A great deal of the intuitiveness comes from a somewhat natural "spine" that is forced downtown by geography.

It has created something of a "travel path" in all regards.

Fort Worth is probably the closest process that I've seen to what were doing in terms of balance between public input and professional advice drawn from their AA.

Kerry
03-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks UP. I was looking thru a lot of the Cincinnati historical documents and it seemed like their route just appeared out of no where. I also read that 50% of the jobs within the city limits of Cincinnati were in downtown. That is amazing. Any idea what that number would be for OKC?

Urban Pioneer
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I just found out from city staff that the actual route recommendation has been bumped to April 5th.

Tomorrow, while very important, only the proposed scheduling is to be addressed.

My apologies for encouraging people to come for streetcar routes. I will still give you a button if you show up. lol Speaking on behalf of the streetcar at any meeting is appreciated, particularly on why t should remain a priority at the front of the schedule.

Here is an informational quote however from MAPS Program Director Eric Wenger that may address some earlier questions, "The agenda item which is scheduled for next week includes staff's recommendation that Council receive the Partial Streetcar Route as recommended by the subcommittee and Advisory Board. The action typically taken by Council in receiving items is a motion followed by a vote."

Spartan
03-29-2011, 12:07 AM
If it is city council meeting you should be able to access the adgenda, documents and usually a video from here (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/meet.aspx)

Really edgy stuff from okc.gov
http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=48812

Larry OKC
03-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Spartan, Thanks for the hearty laugh...almost sprayed my Diet Coke on the monitor

okclee
03-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Really edgy stuff from okc.gov
http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=48812

WOW! So much detail and info there, it will take me weeks to process it all. Good Job Okc, thanks for keeping us all informed. Awesome government transparency!

Can't wait to see what the highly anticipated OCURA website has in store for us!

Kerry
03-29-2011, 09:17 AM
WOW! So much detail and info there, it will take me weeks to process it all. Good Job Okc, thanks for keeping us all informed. Awesome government transparency!

Can't wait to see what the highly anticipated OCURA website has in store for us!

The OCURA web site is already up. Everything OCURA thinks you need to know is on it.

www.ocura.gov (http://www.ocura.gov)

Spartan
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Problem loading page. Shocker..

Kerry
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM

LOL - you didn't actually expect to find a web site did you?

I thought this would be a dead giveaway.

Everything OCURA thinks you need to know is on it

Larry OKC
03-29-2011, 09:19 PM

Think the joke's on us (once again)...

Address Not Found

www.ocura.gov could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

Larry OKC
03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Spartan & Kerry...may want to compete on "Last Comic Standing" or "America's Got Talent"

Kerry
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Sometimes you just have to go for the cheap laughs.

LetsTalkTransit
03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
AA Public Meeting Tomorrow
Join us Thursday, March 31 at noon or 5:30 pm at First United Methodist Church of Oklahoma City (131 NW 4 St), for a public discussion on future downtown transit alternatives. In this meeting, there will be an update on the greater downtown Alternatives Analysis. Both meetings will cover the same agenda.

The public meetings are one facet of a multi-phased planning study called an Alternatives Analysis (AA). This is one of the required steps to qualify for new Federal funding. The AA identifies potential transportation solutions that improve connections within Oklahoma City's downtown growth centers, spur economic development opportunities, improve mobility, expand transportation options and improve air quality.

The AA Steering Committee has been meeting to review input from citizens, transit consultants, city planners and engineers about both alternative routes and technologies that are being considered. COTPA and the Steering Committee are interested in receiving additional comments from the public.

If you're joining us for the first time, be sure to visit www.LetsTalkTransit.com (http://www.letstalktransit.com) to learn more about the AA and to follow the progress.

Urban Pioneer
03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
The streetcar route for Phase 1A goes to council this coming Tuesday, April 5th. Based on where it is supposed to be on the agenda, I recommend that supporters arrive at around 9:00 - 9:15 AM. The presentation and discussion will probably be underway around 9:15 AM.

MAPS 3 buttons will be distributed to convey your support in the audience if you are not speaking.

Many thanks for your support,

Jeff

Jeff M. Bezdek
Education Director (MTP)
Public Outreach Chair (RTD)
Alternatives Analysis Committee
MAPS 3 Transit Advisory Committee

MODERN TRANSIT PROJECT

1015 N Broadway (Suite 120)
Oklahoma City, OK. 73102

Main 405.231.1912
Fax 405.231.1998

www.mtpokc.com

Larry OKC
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Tentative time line from Wed's Oklahoman (3/30/11)

Modern streetcar/transit hub

Budget: $130 million

Construction: Procurement and construction of phase 1 from mid-2013 to early 2016; Construction of hub and phase 2 from mid-2016 to mid-2018

Urban Pioneer
03-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Yes. Hopefully council will maintain that schedule. It works well with other construction timelines and will save us money.

mcca7596
03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Will the streetcars themselves be ordered right around the same time construction on the tracks starts? I just wouldn't want to have to wait too long to see the tracks get used. :-) It really is hard to convey how exciting this project is!

betts
03-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Procurement relates to the ordering of the streetcars as well as rail, I believe. However, there can be as much as a 3 year wait for the cars once ordered.

mcca7596
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
So, best case scenario is that they could be operational by the end of 2016, that's not too bad.

Thanks, Betts.

Spartan
04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Tentative time line from Wed's Oklahoman (3/30/11)

Where is this?

Urban Pioneer
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Where is this?

It is derived from the proposed time-line spread sheet distributed to the council and advisory board/subcommittee members by ADG. There is also an article in the Gazette.

The "moment of truth" is a joint meeting between Advisory Board members and the OKC Council where the council will decide whether ADG's professional recommendations remain standing or whether they will be adjusted.

Obviously, there is lobbying going on for the Convention center to be moved up which will potentially, subsequently delay projects such as the streetcar.

Council did make it clear that the several of them would like to see sidewalks done at the very first all at once since enough money has been collected to get the project done. The only problem with that is I don't think the sidewalk committee know where they all will go. It is still fairly early in their process. Plus ADG doesn't seem to think that a singular contractor under a singular contract can handle the scale of the entire program and "do it well."

Larry OKC
04-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Where is this?

Here's the link: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-hears-maps-3-timeline/article/3553618

Spartan
04-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Thanks Larry. I'd been really wanting to get my hands on an actual schedule after all these articles for the last week referring to the dust-up around it..

Urban Pioneer
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Streetcar Routes at Council. Be there at 9:00 AM to show your support.

okclee
04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Is that the municipal building?

Doug Loudenback
04-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Is that the municipal building?
Yes, in the City Council chambers, 2nd floor. If you're not attending (like me), you can watch the meeting on Cox channel 20, beginning at 8:30 a.m.

Urban Pioneer
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Approved unanimously.

shane453
04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Great!

okclee
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Great! .....Urban Pioneer, truly great work.

Can you give a short summary of the next step?

Doug Loudenback
04-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Approved unanimously.
Well, actually, make that "Report received," and that would be correct.

Urban Pioneer
04-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Great! .....Urban Pioneer, truly great work.

Can you give a short summary of the next step?

Well basically, "receiving" is almost as good as "approved" as it provides direction to city staff, Project 180, and allows us to move forward and hire an engineer to start designing a system.

Next steps:

1. Ratify ADG's schedule at the April 19th meeting to maintain our momentum and position us to let funds to hire a professional engineer to start designing.

2. Make final decisions about the Hub and Convention Center Locations this month.

3. Go back to Council with "Phase 1b" of the streetcar line

4. Start estimating costs

okclee
04-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Would you say that this approved route "Phase 1a" is fairly safe from having any engineering problems?

Or do you think there could be a few areas along this route the engineers will have problems with?

David
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Is there a timeline for when the request for Federal funds will be sent in?

BoulderSooner
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Is there a timeline for when the request for Federal funds will be sent in?

the deadline as i understand it is in Sept 2011 for FY 2012

Urban Pioneer
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Would you say that this approved route "Phase 1a" is fairly safe from having any engineering problems?

Or do you think there could be a few areas along this route the engineers will have problems with?

I think that as with any streetcar project, the closer you get to the "core" of most downtown, the more involved the utility relocation. So yes, there will probably be challenges. They may be dealt with by simply changing lanes, but there will probably be something we will have to pay to have moved that will be difficult. However, I believe you should try to avoid "twists and turns" a route to go around obstacles thus preserving the expedient service experience by riders.

Right now, the two biggest, most costly obstacles that we have identified are the Sheridan and Reno bridges under the railroad if they need modification.

Urban Pioneer
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
the deadline as i understand it is in Sept 2011 for FY 2012

This is correct, I believe it is Sept 31st. They are scrambling to properly finish the AA so that we can apply for funds in both this fiscal year and the next.

Hutch
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
This is correct, I believe it is Sept 31st. They are scrambling to properly finish the AA so that we can apply for funds in both this fiscal year and the next.

Just to be clear, the September deadline is to be able to qualify for remaining FY 2011 Small Start funds. The FTA has no official deadlines for making Small Starts applications. However, to qualify for FY 2011 funds, you have to apply and be approved within that fiscal year, which ends September 30th. If we miss the FY 2011 funding cycle, we can still apply for the FY 2012 funding cycle, which begins October 1st.

brianinok
04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Can someone point me to the page of this thread that has the proposed route since I don't see it in the newsok article that mentions it was approved.

dmoor82
04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Can someone point me to the page of this thread that has the proposed route since I don't see it in the newsok article that mentions it was approved.

^^here you go,not from this forum but it works! http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-maps-3-street-car-route-pdf,0,1544491.acrobat

Snowman
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Did they give any hints as why they chose to jump down to the boulevard instead of Reno which seemed more natural to me, with talk of having a possible loop highlighted over to walker by way of reno and sheridan it seemed like it would be a natural extension to add another loop over to near byers/Lincoln especially since the north bricktown location kept getting thrown around for the convention center, the diversion south does not seem to gain better access to anything yet. It may be so they can close Reno for event nights, the reno bridge was an issue, hub location or how they want the system to develop; it just seems like it will be making normal use more of a hassle the rest of the time (or until the phase that makes sense gets here).

warreng88
04-05-2011, 07:37 PM
From the JR:

Proposed streetcar route submitted to OKC Council
By Brian Brus
Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2837
Posted: 04:58 PM Tuesday, April 5, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – The first four miles of a streetcar system through downtown Oklahoma City was submitted for City Council members’ consideration Tuesday.

The proposed spine of the streetcar route, to be funded with a temporary sales tax under MAPS 3, connects the Midtown district slightly northwest of downtown to the Bricktown entertainment district to the southeast. The plan also identifies potential extensions for a total of five to six miles, depending on other factors and costs as the project develops, officials said.

The $130 million project is part of a larger $777 million MAPS 3 package of infrastructure developments passed by city voters in 2009.

Other projects include a 70-acre park and downtown convention center in the core of the city, as well as wellness centers and trails in other areas.

The transit portion of MAPS 3 also allows for the possibility of a downtown transit hub to link the streetcar with other commuter rail and bus systems. City officials are seeking federal transportation money for commuter rail to expand the reach of the transportation system, although they warned such additional development would be many years away.

A typical modern streetcar usually uses a fixed, electric-rail system at street level, shares a lane with other vehicles and operates in high-pedestrian areas to link riders with major activity centers. Central Oklahoma Transportation & Parking Authority officials said that unlike older trolley systems, modern streetcar technology allows it to operate quietly, smoothly and efficiently in harmony with other vehicles.

The route identified Tuesday is the product of months of public input and committee review of alternate possibilities. MAPS Program Manager Eric Wenger said a consultant will likely be hired this summer for additional planning and engineering analysis before the route is finalized.

“We want to make sure that the route makes a lot more sense when we start talking about other things like economic development potential,” Wenger said. “But at least it’s a starting point.”

MAPS streetcar subcommittee member Jill Adler called the route revealed Tuesday a “spur to greater things.”

“After we get this route going and get the streetcar going, our focus can move on to an even more extensive and usable system for the entire city,” Adler said.

Jeff Bezdek, who has served on several subcommittees involved in the issue, said that a grocery store that is likely to be placed downtown will complement the streetcar’s popularity.

“Being able to connect greater downtown to grocery services is something that I think will resonate with the community broadly,” he said.

The route would go as far north as NW 13th Street, then down Broadway Avenue to Sheridan Avenue, loop through Bricktown as far south as SE Third Street, then up Robinson Avenue to NW 11th Street to finish the circuit.

“The route is subject to change pending the completion of the Intermodal Hub Study and the MAPS 3 Convention Center site selection study,” City Manager Jim Couch said in his report to council members.

The submitted route also provides guidelines for coordinating work with the ongoing Project 180 streetscape renovations throughout downtown, so that utility line relocations can be kept to a minimum.

The council did not act on the plan Tuesday. Mayor Mick Cornett called the submission a show of the city’s intentions.

“It’s a current intention. It’s very early in the process, but we do have a lot of overlapping projects and it’s nice for staff to have some direction, even though the council is not committing itself to any specific route at this time,” Cornett said.

betts
04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
There are a couple of arguments for bringing the streetcar down to the boulevard, although that's in the dotted line part of the route, which is still not completely defined. First of all, if so, it will stop across the street from the city park. It is possible that the convention center will be along the boulevard, and that's another important reason to potentially use it. In addition, we're not completely sure we can pass under any existing railroad bridges. There is some concern that the RR simply won't allow it, or that the cost of doing so will be prohibitive. Since the railroad bridge over the boulevard hasn't been built yet, we know that it can be built to accomodate a streetcar.

mcca7596
04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
So, Project 180 is currently working at a fairly quick pace on redoing Robinson east of the memorial.

I suppose there is not enough information about the technical aspects of the route that they could at least make it easy to redo when the streetcar work begins?