View Full Version : Streetcar

Rover
10-06-2019, 10:09 AM
I mean, each month, both leading up to it and the day of, it's all over their social media (both Embark and Streetcar), so if you don't know, it just means you're not following and paying attention to their social media. They also have a monthly email newsletter you can sign up for if it's tough to keep up with social (which it certainly can be). Anyway, not judging, just sayin. Not sure what else they're supposed to do for promotion these days. Probably not worth radio or TV commercials or a direct mail campaign. The amount of social promotion they're doing seems reasonable to me.

Why not do radio, tv and other. There’s a huge part of okc citizenry not into their social media accounts. Markets are really fragmented and that is the challenge for advertising/promotion these days. If you count on one channel only you miss whole segments.

shawnw
10-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Embark has an pretty limited budget, I'm not personally opposed to the city advertising transit on all media modes, so long as they don't take it out of the Embark budget.

Rover
10-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Advertising done right brings in more revenue. It’s not just an expense. If you are saying there is no market to be had, or there is no advertising promotion that will work, well that’s a different claim.

jccouger
10-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Advertising done right brings in more revenue. It’s not just an expense. If you are saying there is no market to be had, or there is no advertising promotion that will work, well that’s a different claim.

I think they should stick to social media, but EMBARK & Streetcar committee needs to get all the businesses along the route and other pages (like the scissortail park) to also market when free ridership days are.

I doubt its worth the expense to advertise on radio & TV.

KayneMo
10-25-2019, 01:31 PM
I just noticed that streetcar stops are on Google Maps now.

shawnw
10-25-2019, 06:59 PM
streetcar is also in TransitApp now, but according to Embark it's just scheduled times at the moment, though real-time is coming.

dankrutka
10-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Waited for the downtown loop with a huge group after the Thunder game last night. The screen said 5 minutes when we got there. After 15-20 minutes the screen said 3 minutes. Then someone told us all that a cyclist was hit on the track (not sure if by a car or streetcar?) and everyone left. Hopefully, the person is okay.

kukblue1
10-26-2019, 08:05 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience on the street car like I did last night. Got on at Myriad Gardens on bricktown loop. There are maybe 5 of us on there at a little after 5. First stop Cox center. No one pushed the button no one waiting on platform we stopped. Probably for a good minute. Next stop bricktown. Once again no one pushed the button no one on platform we stopped. Next stop Mickey mantel. I pushed the button to request stop. Got up standing by the door. The other people on there also got closer to the door also. Did the drive stop. Nope kept right on going. The one guy was even pushing the yellow button on the door. Then he went up and knocked and said hey we wanted to all get off.

Then we all got to talking and he says he works downtown and there have been a couple of times during his lunch break that he as been waiting on the platform and they have just drove right on by him. Does anyone else have any horror stories?

As far as it being full. It wasn't before the thunder game but was afterwards. No one checking fares and I bet 50% of the people getting on after the game didn't pay. They either need to do away with the fares all together or come up with some sort of scan system at the door.

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2019, 11:06 AM
They really need to get rid of the parking by the streetcar and install protected bike lanes along with a possible barrier between the streetcar and traffic lanes to prevent cars from using the streetcar lane. Why this wasn’t done in the beginning is beyond me. I think this would do wonders to improve streetcar reliability.

But instead we have this:

In a quiet meeting of the City Council, one Councilor’s motion to deny new parking was overridden by a vote of the suburban council members. Meanwhile, Mayor Holt’s redrafting of the controversial Greenwell Ordinance was passed by a 6-3 vote.

Street Parking

An item allowing a developer to create new parallel parking spots on NW 11th between Walker and Dewey in Ward 6 came on for consideration.

Ward 6 Councilwoman JoBeth Hamon* moved to deny the new parking.

Hamon cited the protest of Streetcar representatives at the Traffic and Transportation Committee meeting where this item was first heard.

- https://freepressokc.com/its-urban-vs-suburban-okc-council-members-on-controversial-ordinance/

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2019, 11:07 AM
For any streets that only have two lanes of vehicle traffic, make them one way and/or ban cars from using certain streets and convert the other lane to bus only lanes where feasible.

shawnw
10-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Somebody mark this down, the date PluPlan said "ban cars". :-P

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Haha. It should be well know that I’m not the biggest fan of the streetcar but it’s there and we need to capitalize off of it. It shouldn’t be used as a real estate development tool but rather a true piece of transit that works and induces riders.

Allowing mixed flow with cars increases chances of delays and its better off cars are banned from using streetcar lanes. Parking adjacent to streetcar removed and protected bike lanes put in. A study should be done to determine feasibility of banning cars on certain streets that the street car and conversion of other lanes to bus lanes and widened sidewalks.

soonermike81
10-28-2019, 08:05 AM
As far as it being full. It wasn't before the thunder game but was afterwards. No one checking fares and I bet 50% of the people getting on after the game didn't pay. They either need to do away with the fares all together or come up with some sort of scan system at the door.

I haven’t had the other experience you had with a bad driver. But during the handful of times we’ve ridden the streetcar, noticed tons of people who don’t pay. Only once did I see an employee asking for tickets, but even then, he didn’t go through and ask everyone. And one group that he did ask, they said they bought tickets, but he never asked to actually see them. I hope I was just seeing a small sample size that were just outliers. Even had 2 different parties, who seemed new to riding, ask me “its free to ride, right?” I bet they heard that from others who ride and don’t pay. I told them no and gave them pricing. They never got on and proceeded to walk to their destination. Sad.

Just curious for everyone reading this, do y’all notice tons of people who don’t pay? Not sure what the percentage is but can imagine us having this for a long time if people are abusing the system. After some time, I’m sure they won’t be able to afford employees to go through and clean it up, and it will become a dumpy public transportation system.

shawnw
10-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Wouldn't judge too harshly. I have an annual pass. I'm sure at least some other regulars have passes. When I get on I just walk on and sit down. To the casual observer I might seem to have not paid. But if challenged I can absolutely produce my annual pass.

amocore
10-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Agree,

also, sometimes I use the app to pay so I do not have a ticket in hand or seem not to have bought one at the station.
So I wont worry about it too much.

kukblue1
10-28-2019, 10:12 AM
I haven’t had the other experience you had with a bad driver. But during the handful of times we’ve ridden the streetcar, noticed tons of people who don’t pay. Only once did I see an employee asking for tickets, but even then, he didn’t go through and ask everyone. And one group that he did ask, they said they bought tickets, but he never asked to actually see them. I hope I was just seeing a small sample size that were just outliers. Even had 2 different parties, who seemed new to riding, ask me “its free to ride, right?” I bet they heard that from others who ride and don’t pay. I told them no and gave them pricing. They never got on and proceeded to walk to their destination. Sad.

Just curious for everyone reading this, do y’all notice tons of people who don’t pay? Not sure what the percentage is but can imagine us having this for a long time if people are abusing the system. After some time, I’m sure they won’t be able to afford employees to go through and clean it up, and it will become a dumpy public transportation system.

Road it after the Thunder game on Sunday. Maybe 6 people on it when it pulled up to the stop at reno. I would say probably 40 people got on and I can tell you no one had anything on their phones or tickets in their hands. I'll be honest me and my friend didn't pay. I don't think anyone is paying. How hard would it be to hire someone for $10 an hour during busy times to check for fares. How much money are they losing from people not paying? Well losing might not be the right term but you get my point.

David
10-28-2019, 10:29 AM
At least one of the times I have taken the streetcar there was someone aboard who came by eventually and validated my ticket.

Anonymous.
10-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Approaching a year later and the yellow construction fencing is still ziptied to all the railings of the stops. Whyyyy?!

As for the discussion above, everyone knows I have been a huge cheerleader for removing the fares. There is already hardly anyone paying them, why even have them? Sell the kiosks and put the money toward something useful. If the fare is only existing to keep [homeless] people from day riding, then make it a simple rule that one cannot ride the entire loop consecutively - which I think is already a rule, but this will give an excuse for a conductor to ask someone to leave.

I just had some friends from Dallas in town and they were shocked we had a streetcar. They saw the stops and the kiosks and thought it was an ATM of some sort.

I have ridden the streetcar basically weekly and never have been asked to produce a ticket. I would bet if we saw the numbers of payers versus riders, it would show less than 50% paying easily. I am sure the city does not want to disclose this number.

Bullbear
10-28-2019, 01:05 PM
there has been one time I have been asked to produce my ticket. I buy mine through the app so its always there but I don't pull it out other than the one time asked. the person who asked was all in black as "Security" but he did get off at one stop where he was parked and told the conductor have a good day and he would see him next shift. so I guess they are on there sometimes.

turnpup
10-29-2019, 09:31 AM
The one time we were asked to show our tickets (and we always use the token transit app so it's on the phone screen), the guy who asked was more of an "ambassador" type than security. In fact, he was super-nice, making various recommendations to the out-of-town people sitting next to us. I was pleased with the hospitality shown.

Pete
10-31-2019, 08:03 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/streetcar103119a.jpg

kukblue1
10-31-2019, 10:25 AM
So doesn't look like Concerts and Thunder Games are doing much to help numbers. I figured there be a little up tick. Wed 23th was GNR and Thunder games 25th and 27th

OKC Guy
10-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Those numbers are bad. I did some numbers to see what it costs per rider. I used 10 years as my benchmark because around then cars need replaced or major upkeep costs will be needed. I am not adding in day 1 to 10 year labor/ upkeep costs so it should kinda wash out. I used the rider numbers listed above and since Dec/Jan were novelty numbers but Nov is missing it should wash out and can use the 398,337 as a yearly avg.

Cost was roughly $140,000,000 and if we avg 33,195 riders per month that comes to 3,983,400 riders in 10 years. Simple math shows it will cost us $35.15 per rider over the 10 years. Way more than if we had just paid for Uber for all riders for 10 years and not torn up roads and caused the biggest MAPS division of all MAPS projects.

Its possible ridership goes up when OMNI/CC open, if so thats its best calling card. I am not factoring in any business who might have came here using SC as deciding factor. Nor am I factoring in businesses who lost money due to years of construction. Nor am I adding in extra costs added at start up like lights and spare parts.

Its just a simple way to show how much it really costs us per rider to have the SC cover 4.5 miles. Its also non adjustable. And disrupts traffic. But it looks good on brocheres.

jerrywall
10-31-2019, 12:12 PM
So doesn't look like Concerts and Thunder Games are doing much to help numbers. I figured there be a little up tick. Wed 23th was GNR and Thunder games 25th and 27th

I would have thought it too. Especially GNR. I know several people who go to concerts who use the SC. I'm curious if the nice weather affected usage.

LakeEffect
10-31-2019, 12:16 PM
Way more than if we had just paid for Uber for all riders for 10 years...

Uber isn't the answer, especially based on cost. It's lost $16.2 BILLION in 5 years. It also has led to increasing congestion. Stop it.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/8/20793935/uber-q2-earnings-5-billion-loss

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/8/20793793/uber-5-billion-quarter-loss-profit-lyft-traffic-2019

https://jalopnik.com/uber-lost-another-5-2-billion-has-now-burned-16-2-bi-1837077596

OKC Guy
10-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Uber isn't the answer, especially based on cost. It's lost $16.2 BILLION in 5 years. It also has led to increasing congestion. Stop it.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/8/20793935/uber-q2-earnings-5-billion-loss

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/8/20793793/uber-5-billion-quarter-loss-profit-lyft-traffic-2019

https://jalopnik.com/uber-lost-another-5-2-billion-has-now-burned-16-2-bi-1837077596

I assumed everyone would not take Uber example literally but as an example of how much we taxpayers are paying for each SC ride. And a vast majority of rides are not the 4.5 miles.

I have always contended small micro luxury buses in core would have been perfect combined with had we spent that $140m on systemwide bus system.

runOKC
10-31-2019, 01:19 PM
I assumed everyone would not take Uber example literally but as an example of how much we taxpayers are paying for each SC ride. And a vast majority of rides are not the 4.5 miles.

I have always contended small micro luxury buses in core would have been perfect combined with had we spent that $140m on systemwide bus system.
Yeah... we know

Plutonic Panda
10-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Uber is a weird deal and surely there is a way to make them profitable. The fact they are contributing to traffic congestion and possibly putting a dent in ridership numbers on transit agencies shows the demand for ridersharing. Seemingly when given a choice people will choose Uber over transit of money allows.

I also wonder how many DUIs were prevented and lives saved from ridersharing companies.

OKC Guy
10-31-2019, 01:54 PM
Yeah... we know

This place gets a lot of views and not all “might know” as you claim. So, do you support the massive costs compared to all other forms of transportation?

Edmond Hausfrau
11-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Was downtown Friday night for a play and dinner, could see the streetcar from our table. 7pm on, saw 2 streetcars with absolutely no riders. None. On a Friday in the core section along 10th. We didn't stay to see if the third would be empty because it was making me sad.

kukblue1
11-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Wonder what numbers will be like for Today Sat 2nd. Decent weather. Thunder game at 4. I rode it to bricktown for lunch then to the game it was a little less than half full. Saw many walking on with paid tickets and then looked confused when no one took the ticket. They didn't seem to know what to do with the tickets. There were 5 in my party. I dare say i only paid for 2. They need to figure out some kind of scan system for when you walk on. Either have to scan your phone or scan your ticket. Or better yet get rid of fares all together.

SEMIweather
11-03-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm sure there's probably an answer somewhere in this thread that I've missed, but are the charts Pete's posting the paid ridership numbers, or are they the actual number of people who walked on.

My assumption from following this thread recently is that there are a significant portion of people who are riding without paying, but not sure if that would be included in the charts or not.

OkiePoke
11-04-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm sure there's probably an answer somewhere in this thread that I've missed, but are the charts Pete's posting the paid ridership numbers, or are they the actual number of people who walked on.

My assumption from following this thread recently is that there are a significant portion of people who are riding without paying, but not sure if that would be included in the charts or not.

I believe those numbers are counted as people enter/exit the street car. There is a counter above the doors.

Anonymous.
11-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Yes it has been clarified those numbers are riders, not payers. As far as I am aware, there has been no released data on collection of fares.

I feel like the quietness on this front may be an early indicator of going fare-free or an unofficial statement of 'just shutup and get on'.

baralheia
11-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Wonder what numbers will be like for Today Sat 2nd. Decent weather. Thunder game at 4. I rode it to bricktown for lunch then to the game it was a little less than half full. Saw many walking on with paid tickets and then looked confused when no one took the ticket. They didn't seem to know what to do with the tickets. There were 5 in my party. I dare say i only paid for 2. They need to figure out some kind of scan system for when you walk on. Either have to scan your phone or scan your ticket. Or better yet get rid of fares all together.

For what it's worth, DART and TRE operate in this fashion as well. Pay your fare and board, but nobody checks every ticket. It'll just take a little time for people to get used to, that's all.

Laramie
11-04-2019, 06:09 PM
In all fairness to the streetcar routes especially in the vicinity of the park, hotel & convention center; the streets are in disarray with all the construction, street barriers & detours in place. Making comparisons to Kansas City's free ride 2 miles circular SC system that services a vibrant downtown isn't a fair gauge.

There is no way you can accurately gauge the streetcar's potential, success or failure. We didn't build the streetcar with hopes that it would pay for itself; we certainly don't want it to a drag on the city financially.

We have enough streetcar rail (4.8 miles) already established; the streetcar was more of a mini-transit mechanism to service Downtown, Midtown & Bricktown. Somewhat of a novelty in that it adds a little prestige to larger cities; our streetcars are colorful, sleek and modern--leaves an impression on visitors.

If OKC were to make the streetcar a free ride; you'd probably see the ridership numbers triple.

RedDollar
11-04-2019, 06:11 PM
For what it's worth, DART and TRE operate in this fashion as well. Pay your fare and board, but nobody checks every ticket. It'll just take a little time for people to get used to, that's all.

It doesn't matter if anyone pays a fare, because the taxpayers are gonna pick up the tab for this boondoggle.

Year after year after year, money will be appropriated from the General Fund to cover the operating losses of streetcar.

So who really cares if anyone pays a fare ? Everything is free !!

And this is just one of a multitude of reasons I'm voting NO on MAPS4 .

HangryHippo
11-04-2019, 06:27 PM
It doesn't matter if anyone pays a fare, because the taxpayers are gonna pick up the tab for this boondoggle.

Year after year after year, money will be appropriated from the General Fund to cover the operating losses of streetcar.

lulz. It's just like subsidizing the "free" roads!

RedDollar
11-04-2019, 06:37 PM
lulz. It's just like subsidizing the "free" roads!

Terrible, simplistic analogy that's been beat to death.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2019, 07:05 PM
lulz. It's just like subsidizing the "free" roads!cars are the least subsidized form of transit that exist and the highest user capital cost as well.

HangryHippo
11-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Terrible, simplistic analogy that's been beat to death.
Okay. Lulz

dankrutka
11-04-2019, 09:23 PM
cars are the least subsidized form of transit that exist and the highest user capital cost as well.

Can you explain this? I would think car infrastructure requires massive public spending. The cost of roads, highways, repairs, etc. would be far more subsidized than all other forms of transit... combined.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Can you explain this? I would think car infrastructure requires massive public spending. The cost of roads, highways, repairs, etc. would be far more subsidized than all other forms of transit... combined.Sure! This article has a great run down on costs and subsidies of transit modes. This can obviously vary and is more varied with transit as the more people that use it the more impactful revenue and subsidies would be.

https://opportunityurbanism.org/2019/09/transport-costs-and-subsidies-by-mode/

dankrutka
11-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Sure! This article has a great run down on costs and subsidies of transit modes. This can obviously vary and is more varied with transit as the more people that use it the more impactful revenue and subsidies would be.

I read through the article, but to be honest, I don't have the 1-2 hours to work through all the details. Obviously, the organization has an agenda to prove suburbs are good. That's fine. New urbanists have an agenda too. I just think the former is generally wrong and latter right in what's better for the environment, people's heath, and local economies. Anyway, some of the data is obviously and purposely skewed. For example, comparing subsidies per mile is silly considering the entire point of urban transit is to reduce the miles traveled. Anyway, thanks for sharing even though I'm not really buying their interpretation, selection, and framing of data.

TheTravellers
11-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Sure! This article has a great run down on costs and subsidies of transit modes. This can obviously vary and is more varied with transit as the more people that use it the more impactful revenue and subsidies would be.

Just want to point out that per Wikipedia, our streetcar's cost per mile (including the cost of the streetcars) is $29.6 million, and the article you posted says that the least expensive light rail line under construction at the time the article was written (Sep 2019) is $75 million per mile (probably not including the cost of the rail cars). So while the article is a good generalization, it appears our streetcar is way under normal costs, not sure how that translates into actual dollars in subsidies, though.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Just want to point out that per Wikipedia, our streetcar's cost per mile (including the cost of the streetcars) is $29.6 million, and the article you posted says that the least expensive light rail line under construction at the time the article was written (Sep 2019) is $75 million per mile (probably not including the cost of the rail cars). So while the article is a good generalization, it appears our streetcar is way under normal costs, not sure how that translates into actual dollars in subsidies, though.
Good point! Our streetcar uses a single wire being a loop system though I’m not educated enough in the engineering aspect of civil projects to know exactly what the difference between rapid light rail and a streetcar system.

I should also point out this article I posts leaves much to be desired as you pointed out some flaws. Infrastructure is complex and I’m not convinced light rail is as subsidized as this article claims. I’m generally in favor of subsidized transportation anyways as I think the poor(monetarily), students, government employees, minors,and disabled should be able to ride free. I don’t support free fares entirely but I don’t fare enforcement either. So for the most part I’d base it on an honor system and let those who can pay do so as it would be policy. I know it sounds silly but I think more people would abide by it than most think. There are times I’ve hopped turnstiles and even ran from transit police who will pursue you when I couldn’t pay. Though almost always I pay when I have it.

I think there are many factors into how different modes of transportation are subsidized. I support it so it doesn’t bother me. My beef with the streetcar which I’ve emphasized is it doesn’t move fast enough though I suppose most in OKC don’t care about that. I support streetcar for Edmond as a novelty and tool to connect a college town with its downtown and university but for a major city like OKC it needs an elevated or subterranean line that moves faster. The demand isn’t there yet than build enhanced bus service.

But since that hope is gone I support backing the streetcar and I think the best way now is to ban cars from using the streetcar lane and removing adjacent parking to the streetcar, a physical barrier between the line & other lanes, and installing protected bike lanes. I bet if this is done end to end travels are reduced, capacity increases, reliability increases, and ridership goes up.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2019, 10:11 PM
I read through the article, but to be honest, I don't have the 1-2 hours to work through all the details. Obviously, the organization has an agenda to prove suburbs are good. That's fine. New urbanists have an agenda too. I just think the former is generally wrong and latter right in what's better for the environment, people's heath, and local economies. Anyway, some of the data is obviously and purposely skewed. For example, comparing subsidies per mile is silly considering the entire point of urban transit is to reduce the miles traveled. Anyway, thanks for sharing even though I'm not really buying their interpretation, selection, and framing of data.
New urbanism is specially formulated to address and include cars. To the extreme anti-car crowd even this is now too pro-car for some to chew.

I don’t see a problem with a per mile comparison. There are articles posted all the time by Vox(curbed) and CityLab or Strongtowns, with those publications having big biases. Yes New Geography is biased towards suburbs. Your preference to urban areas is great but the point cars are the least subsidized form of transportation is true and even can be argued they are less subsidized than that article claims.

I like new urbanism though I prefer the traditional urban layout seen in many older cities like Philadelphia. But it I still prefer suburbs over anything. Good for the environment or not, people have a right to choose how they want to live.

catch22
11-05-2019, 08:00 AM

every year dollars are earmarked out of the general fund to pay for the losses incurred by our streets.

TheTravellers
11-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Good point! Our streetcar uses a single wire being a loop system though I’m not educated enough in the engineering aspect of civil projects to know exactly what the difference between rapid light rail and a streetcar system.
But since that hope is gone I support backing the streetcar and I think the best way now is to ban cars from using the streetcar lane and removing adjacent parking to the streetcar, a physical barrier between the line & other lanes, and installing protected bike lanes. I bet if this is done end to end travels are reduced, capacity increases, reliability increases, and ridership goes up.

Yes, absolutely to the last paragraph, OKC needs, needs, needs, to get its sh*t together WRT pedestrians, bicycles and streetcar.

For the first paragraph, I had gone to this article to see if I could find out what the difference is, and the author lays out the major differences, but in the end pretty much says "Good luck, almost every light-rail system has streetcar aspects, and vice versa". It is pretty good at just listing all that goes into defining (as much as it can be) streetcar and light-rail.

https://ggwash.org/view/36980/how-to-tell-the-difference-between-streetcars-and-light-rail

Oh, and I think PluPan's article mentions how money is taken from other federal funds to go to the highway fund, per catch22's post, I think he allowed for $10 billion annually for that, not sure how much is done in OK/OKC for that.

LakeEffect
11-05-2019, 01:47 PM
every year dollars are earmarked out of the general fund to pay for the losses incurred by our streets.

Not to mention that owning a car costs people a lot of money... https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/total-cost-owning-car/

Laramie
11-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Just love the word 'earmarked' reminds me of its use with Oklahoma's vocational & agriculture funds.

HOT ROD
11-10-2019, 10:15 PM
the difference between streetcar and light rail are frequency, # of stops, ROW, and capacity. Light Rail tend to be less frequent and fewer stops since the trains ate often longer and stops more pronounced/expensive than streetcar but Ligh Rail makes up for it in capacity - running longer trains than streetcars normally do. Streetcars run almost exclusively in existing vehicular ROW whereas light rail will have much more dedicated ROW to achieve headways.

You can have streetcar approach a light rail when you double them up but then they are often termed the Eurpoean name Tram. They still run in the street and although more capacity than a three car streetcar that we have still far less than a typical light rail train.

Those are the differences. Both modes use the same (light vehicles) and most often overhead Catenary. There isn't a need for a second wire since the rail serves as ground to complete the circuit. 2nd wire is seen for trolleybus and trolleys since they have no ground.

Metro is always fully grade separated (above or under, fenced when on ground/never in the streets). Metro can be automated (Vancouver SkyTrain) but most systems require drivers. Automated metros have incredible frequencies and therefore great capacity without having very long trainsets. Metros have much higher pax loads than light rail but fewer stations since they are buildings vs. just a set of platforms in the open. Metros most often have 3rd rail for power however many new/Asian systems use overhead.

Mode comparison: Most/highest to least

* Frequency: Automated Metro, BRT, Metro, light rail, streetcar, bus, commuter express bus, commuter rail
* Passenger Capacity (Total): Metro, light rail, Commuter Rail, BRT, commuter express bus, streetcar, bus
* Passengers (each): Metro, Auto Metro, Commuter Rail, light rail, BRT, commuter express bus, streetcar, bus
* Grade Seg: Metro, Commuter Rail, light rail, streetcar, BRT, Commuter express bus, bus
* Electrification: (3rd Rail to Cat to Elect/Petro): Metro, light rail/streetcar, Commuter Rail, BRT, Commuter Express bus, bus
* Platform Length: Metro, Auto Metro, Commuter Rail, light rail, BRT, Streetcar, Commuter Bus, bus
* # stops: bus, streetcar, BRT, light rail, Auto metro, metro, Commuter Bus, Commuter Rail, Express bus
* Speed: Metro, Auto Metro, light rail, Commuter Rail, BRT, Express Bus, Commuter Bus, Bus

hope this helps.

Anonymous.
11-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Embark announced free weekends (Fri-Sun) beginning November 22 and lasting through January 5.

Babysteps to fare-free.

HangryHippo
11-14-2019, 10:16 AM
Embark announced free weekends (Fri-Sun) beginning November 22 and lasting through January 5.Babysteps to fare-free.This is great.

PaddyShack
11-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Embark announced free weekends (Fri-Sun) beginning November 22 and lasting through January 5.

Babysteps to fare-free.

Is this for buses too??

Pete
11-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Is this for buses too??

I believe it's only for the streetcar.

shawnw
11-14-2019, 02:30 PM
_usually_ the CIRC bus follows along with what the streetcar does, but I'd confirm with embark first.

hoya
11-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Saw some dude getting towed at lunch today. Don't know how long the streetcar had been waiting, but glad to see they were getting the inconsiderate jerk out of the way.

TheSteveHunt
11-15-2019, 05:53 AM
In all fairness to the streetcar routes especially in the vicinity of the park, hotel & convention center; the streets are in disarray with all the construction, street barriers & detours in place. Making comparisons to Kansas City's free ride 2 miles circular SC system that services a vibrant downtown isn't a fair gauge.

Vibrant!!!!!

https://youtu.be/9fmk0lZX5Lc

kukblue1
11-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Man I hope when the convention center opens we can get more riders. Rode it at 5 to automobile alley from the park and then back to the thunder game at 6 and 5 of us on it both times. On a Friday night during a Thunder game. Right now it's not a good look when it keeps going bye empty all the time.