View Full Version : Wheeler District

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Canoe
01-24-2019, 01:25 PM
How does okc's school plan (pathway to greatness) affect the planned school inside the wheeler district?

amocore
01-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Is the Wheeler district planned to expend on the East side of Western av ? There are so much room and Evans electric is moving

LakeEffect
01-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Is the Wheeler district planned to expend on the East side of Western av ? There are so much room and Evans electric is moving

West side.

king183
01-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Yes, that's the plan, but only after the west side is complete.

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2019, 07:56 PM
KFOR Update:

OKLAHOMA CITY - Developers said they had no idea the amount of success they would have when they purchased a plot of land just south of the Oklahoma River.

"We only started construction seven or eight months ago and we're already 65% sold out in phase one,” said Josh Kitchen, vice president of Wheeler Home.

The Meier family is about to move into their first home in the Wheeler District.

"A close-knit community because we're so close to our neighbors and I feel like the more people that are going to be here, the more opportunities there is to make good friendships," Karsten Meier said.

Crews are in the process of building 54 homes in phase one, and now developers are doubling that number for phase two.

It's a popular concept that they couldn't even imagine when they broke ground in 2017.

"We are meeting a need for Oklahoma City residents that want to be downtown but don't want the headache of plumbing that's 80 years old, they don't want old wiring,” Kitchen said.

Jonathan Teal's family was one of the first to sign on.

"Just a very unique deal to have a new construction house and be right in downtown,” he said.

Soon, crews will start construction on apartments and condos, as well as 30,000 square feet of commercial space and a school.

- https://kfor.com/2019/02/13/wheeler-district-booming-even-before-residents-move-in/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c65759d04d30169d0a9c755&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&fbclid=IwAR2a6dOP15TPRgvzRgLCvdl_2zROD7FsjDBFal2VZ 2c9L93I91Hx0Ds3V_E

traxx
02-19-2019, 10:57 AM
KFOR Update:

- https://kfor.com/2019/02/13/wheeler-district-booming-even-before-residents-move-in/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c65759d04d30169d0a9c755&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter&fbclid=IwAR2a6dOP15TPRgvzRgLCvdl_2zROD7FsjDBFal2VZ 2c9L93I91Hx0Ds3V_E

They picked an appropriate place to interview Josh Kitchen.

king183
03-04-2019, 10:31 PM
First, they took down their prices, now they’ve removed their floor plans and designs. They only show a couple houses for sale. Any idea what’s going on here?

SuburbanNation
03-04-2019, 11:09 PM
First, they took down their prices, now they’ve removed their floor plans and designs. They only show a couple houses for sale. Any idea what’s going on here?

All indications point to the fact that pre-sale demand has outpaced initial expectations in Wheeler District. The News 4 article states that Phase 1 is nearly 70 % sold out- even before anyone has even moved in. It appears only recently sold and nearly completed/available homes with prices are listed on the Wheeler website. The initial large wave of Wheeler District pre-sales would allow the development and construction team to complete the final 30% of Phase 1 homes with intentional,speculative planning and new architectural designs rather than on custom builds. I’d imagine those remaining unsold homes will be priced and added to the website when all interior/exterior selections have been finalized by the design and architecture team- this is unless they are sold before the Wheeler team has a chance to market for sale.

king183
03-05-2019, 07:14 AM
And then perhaps new designs for phase 2?

Richard at Remax
03-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Call me a debbie downer but 35 sales out of 54 homes is hardly what i would consider booming for such a project that has had this much exposure

Pete
03-11-2019, 08:24 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler030919a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler030919b.jpg

kevin lee
03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Are they planning on adding a pool and pool house?

chuck5815
03-11-2019, 11:13 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler030919a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler030919b.jpg

So basically this is Seaside on the High Prairie.

Not nearly as odd as I thought it might look.

urbanCOWBOY
03-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Work is quietly beginning at the Wheeler Hanger for a restaurant. Building permit was filed for 1741 Wheeler Street for an $80,000 remodel.

DallasOkie086
03-27-2019, 07:12 AM
I still find it strange that they didnt place the concrete for all the roadways and parking prior to construction on the homes. Did they have a delay in approvals from ODOT or the utilities? I wouldnt suggest placing the roads for the entire area but at least phase one.

Dob Hooligan
03-27-2019, 08:02 AM
I'm gonna make a wild guess and venture that the streets are going to be asphalt and they don't want traffic from heavy trucks associated with construction to break down the surface prematurely.

Pete
03-27-2019, 09:19 AM
The streets that are already in place are concrete. I don't think they'll use asphalt on the others.

traxx
03-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Work is quietly beginning at the Wheeler Hanger for a restaurant.

Why quietly? There's no one around to hear them. They can be as loud as they want.

DKG
04-09-2019, 01:14 PM
The streets that are already in place are concrete. I don't think they'll use asphalt on the others.

I haven't been down there in a while, but a friend was there this weekend and said some of the streets and the bike lane were poured. It also sounded like they may be asphalt. Any drone pics of the area with streets in place? Appreciate all you do, Pete.

Pete
04-09-2019, 01:16 PM
It looks to be a mix of concrete and asphalt; concrete for main roads and asphalt for the residential:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler033119b.jpg

DKG
04-09-2019, 01:33 PM
It looks to be a mix of concrete and asphalt; concrete for main roads and asphalt for the residential:

That was quick! Thank you!

Harbinger
04-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Wheeler hosted a tour for ULI for the first phase of houses, and the pics posted on Facebook really illustrate the vision behind this whole project...
https://m.facebook.com/ULIOK/photos/a.2663479560334574/2663481270334403/?type=3

warreng88
04-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Wheeler hosted a tour for ULI for the first phase of houses, and the pics posted on Facebook really illustrate the vision behind this whole project...
https://m.facebook.com/ULIOK/photos/a.2663479560334574/2663481270334403/?type=3

It was a great tour. You don't really get a full understanding of the scope of the development until you see it in person and hear from the people who are putting it into motion.

Urban Pioneer
04-12-2019, 07:30 AM
I think it is really interesting that they are following the old landing strip. I think that is pretty cool architectural homage to the past.

mimino
04-12-2019, 08:13 AM
it's gonna be fun walking those asphalt streets in the summer...you're already collecting near $200/sq. ft for these, why not put some quality roads down? no backyards on those boxes either? (unless you're supposed to hang out in the back with the condensers and call that your back patio) I mean, I get the chic-ness, but this looks like a big-time ripoff. IMHO, of course.

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
I’m definitely NOT digging the asphalt. I think the small yards are intentional. I love my big green yard but not everyone wants that.

PaddyShack
04-12-2019, 09:22 AM
My wife and I would have love to live here, but the economics just don't make sense for us. Still looking for that high earning career that every one around town seems to have...

Celebrator
04-12-2019, 09:49 AM
it's gonna be fun walking those asphalt streets in the summer...you're already collecting near $200/sq. ft for these, why not put some quality roads down? no backyards on those boxes either? (unless you're supposed to hang out in the back with the condensers and call that your back patio) I mean, I get the chic-ness, but this looks like a big-time ripoff. IMHO, of course.

Yeah, people are buying here because they believe in new urbanism and want to live it. This means density and more shared outdoor spaces than private yards. We lived in a new urbanist community in FL before moving here a decade ago now (!) and it is a different mindset and lifestyle than the traditional 'burbs. It is kind of a hybrid of a master-planned suburban subdivision and urban core living. That said, we loved it because the shared outdoor spaces were well-thought out and really promoted a sense of community. We definitely had stronger ties with our neighbors down there than we do here--you can hardly help it because you live VERY close to one another!

warreng88
04-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Yeah, people are buying here because they believe in new urbanism and want to live it. This means density and more shared outdoor spaces than private yards. We lived in a new urbanist community in FL before moving here a decade ago now (!) and it is a different mindset and lifestyle than the traditional 'burbs. It is kind of a hybrid of a master-planned suburban subdivision and urban core living. That said, we loved it because the shared outdoor spaces were well-thought out and really promoted a sense of community. We definitely had stronger ties with our neighbors down there than we do here--you can hardly help it because you live VERY close to one another!

Exactly, if you want a huge house on a huge lot with a big backyard and don't really want to interact with your neighbors, this is not the place for you. If you want to go to shared spaces and like to be outside, this is where you need to be. The whole neighborhood is built around interaction with the surrounding people and walkability.

PhiAlpha
04-13-2019, 09:51 AM

You could just walk on the sidewalks like normal people who have sidewalks?

mimino
04-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Exactly, if you want a huge house on a huge lot with a big backyard and don't really want to interact with your neighbors, this is not the place for you. If you want to go to shared spaces and like to be outside, this is where you need to be. The whole neighborhood is built around interaction with the surrounding people and walkability.

like i said, those were just my thoughts. my main point was about skimping on something so simple as a road. where else did they cut corners?

You could just walk on the sidewalks like normal people who have sidewalks?

fair enough (nice jab on the "normal people" ref ;) ). what about kids who usually play in the street? or is this is a no-kids neighborhood too? lol

Rover
04-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Having a yard doesn’t mean you are antisocial. My neighborhoods have always been friendly, social, and interacted. You don’t have to cram houses up together to force people to interact. Private back yards can be very desirable for young families, families whose extended families like to get together without doing it in a park, etc. oh, you can have yards AND neighborhood gathering spots... pools, parks, tennis courts, baseball fields all in the neighborhood. This neighborhood will be a nice alternative but not for everyone... and that doesn’t make them odd or antisocial.

Plutonic Panda
04-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Having a yard doesn’t mean you are antisocial. My neighborhoods have always been friendly, social, and interacted. You don’t have to cram houses up together to force people to interact. Private back yards can be very desirable for young families, families whose extended families like to get together without doing it in a park, etc. oh, you can have yards AND neighborhood gathering spots... pools, parks, tennis courts, baseball fields all in the neighborhood. This neighborhood will be a nice alternative but not for everyone... and that doesn’t make them odd or antisocial.
Yep. Spot on here. Not to mention many neighborhoods or what some new urbanists might want to degrade and call subdivisions in an insulting way often have green belts with walking trails and parks. At the very least every neighborhood I’ve been in almost always has people out walking throughout and interacting with those doing the same or tending to their yards.

This development will be nice and different from the experiences in suburbia, but that doesn’t mean it has to compete. Private yards are hardly anti social though it is a nice benefit of it being private when you want it to be.

Pete
05-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Work has started to convert the old Downtown Airpark terminal building into a restaurant, bar and mailroom.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler051019a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler051019c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler051019b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler032019a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler032019b.jpg

Executionist
05-12-2019, 08:03 AM

$200/sq. ft. for this? A fool and their money are soon parted.

btmec
05-13-2019, 07:08 PM
I don't know how many times I landed on that runway. I'm happy they are keeping where the original runway was between the houses.

TheirTheir
05-16-2019, 07:56 AM
No mailboxes at each home? The community must retrieve their mail from the mail room?

Ross MacLochness
05-16-2019, 08:14 AM
No mailboxes at each home? The community must retrieve their mail from the mail room?

They are probably on the porch like most homes in the area??

rezman
05-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Very cool place. But I wonder. Is the OCPD air unit going to continue to be located there? It will be interesting when the place fills up and then complaints start rolling in for noise associated with the pre-existing VTOL pad.

TheirTheir
05-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Pete's post above says there is a mail room being built.

BoulderSooner
05-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Very cool place. But I wonder. Is the OCPD air unit going to continue to be located there? It will be interesting when the place fills up and then complaints start rolling in for noise associated with the pre-existing VTOL pad.

they are moving to the airport

Pete
05-16-2019, 09:18 AM

But could be for future multiple family. Not sure if it will serve the single family homes or not.

AusKlos
05-16-2019, 09:28 AM

I could be wrong, but I think the USPS has disallowed the use of residential porch/wall mounted mailbox delivery on routes established after a certain date. It was a cost cutting measure and all existing routes of this type were grandfathered in. All new construction must has a roadside mailbox or some kind or cluster/mailroom solution.

Ross MacLochness
05-16-2019, 09:34 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the USPS has disallowed the use of residential porch/wall mounted mailbox delivery on routes established after a certain date. It was a cost cutting measure and all existing routes of this type were grandfathered in. All new construction must has a roadside mailbox or some kind or cluster/mailroom solution.

Hmm.. I lived in a house less than two years old that had a porch mailbox. All new construction in this particular core neighborhood had the same.

Pete
05-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Living in an older neighborhood, I have a porch mailbox and it's almost sinfully decadent to have someone hand-deliver all my mail right to my doorstep.

And a tough job for the person who has to tote that mailbag through rain, snow and gloom of night.

shawnw
05-16-2019, 10:17 AM
they are moving to the airport

They were supposed to, but that structure seems long complete and the choppers haven't moved....

Richard at Remax
05-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Living in an older neighborhood, I have a porch mailbox and it's almost sinfully decadent to have someone hand-deliver all my mail right to my doorstep.

And a tough job for the person who has to tote that mailbag through rain, snow and gloom of night.

This is one of the things I miss most about living in Edgemere Park. Became good acquaintances with the route men/women.

BG918
05-16-2019, 01:06 PM

In the Stapleton New Urbanist community in Denver the houses share a box with about a dozen individual mail boxes that you access with a key. I've seen that in other newer neighborhoods in Colorado but have never seen it in Oklahoma.

It looks like this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvd_-TuHvdX4Zoc7cxM5xIO9A9AidHb9wHqi81VT_-gvz6U7DHFw

TeeDub2
05-16-2019, 01:37 PM
I believe there are some mailboxes this style at the Civic condos just outsided their gate.

Scott5114
05-16-2019, 01:42 PM
In the Stapleton New Urbanist community in Denver the houses share a box with about a dozen individual mail boxes that you access with a key. I've seen that in other newer neighborhoods in Colorado but have never seen it in Oklahoma.

It looks like this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvd_-TuHvdX4Zoc7cxM5xIO9A9AidHb9wHqi81VT_-gvz6U7DHFw

There are a few neighborhoods in Norman that have those. The last neighborhood I lived in was built in the late 1980s and had them.

TheirTheir
05-17-2019, 07:28 AM
I have confirmed with a friend working on the project that all mail boxes will be in the mail room. Glad to put this case to rest.

Pete
07-15-2019, 08:34 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler071219a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler071219b.jpg

5alive
07-15-2019, 10:55 AM
This is only a tiny part of the overall development and already it is so awesome!!!

shawnw
07-15-2019, 07:45 PM
I hadn't been by in months and rode my bike by it this past weekend and was really surprised how many houses there were at this point. Looks great from Western already.

shawnw
07-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Yikes:

https://oklahoman.com/article/5636293/okcps-board-denies-application-to-create-dual-immersion-charter-school-in-wheeler-district

jonny d
07-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Yikes:

https://oklahoman.com/article/5636293/okcps-board-denies-application-to-create-dual-immersion-charter-school-in-wheeler-district

Eh, with all the vitriol and venom spewed towards EPIC, I doubt they were chomping at the bit for more charter schools in the area.

dankrutka
07-15-2019, 08:54 PM
I don't know enough about Wheeler's proposal to comment on it besides saying that dual language immersion schools are in my opinion the best school model there is. My only question has been, why can't new Wheeler residents just get involved in the existing local school and work with local families already attending the school to advocate for a dual language immersion school? It always rubs me the wrong way to see people with means move into an area and decide that their children should get the school of their choosing.

Plutonic Panda
07-16-2019, 01:39 AM
^^^^ why shouldn’t they? If you have the money and means you should be able to send your kid where you choose. What is the problem?

jonny d
07-16-2019, 04:44 AM
^^^^ why shouldn’t they? If you have the money and means you should be able to send your kid where you choose. What is the problem?

But not by creating a brand new school whenever you want.

SouthSide
07-16-2019, 06:44 AM
This has already been done with John Rex Elementary and the middle school at Myriad Gardens. They also intend to add a high school.