View Full Version : Wheeler District

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48

soonerguru
05-16-2022, 11:26 AM
I love the architectural diversity of this development.

progressiveboy
05-16-2022, 11:48 AM
I really like the "New Urbanist" design theme. Carlton Landing on Lake Eufaula is another example of this type of development. My favorite place is Seaside Florida which has this theme as well. Hopefully, Wheeler Park will reach it's potential and provide much density for this development!

Pete
06-13-2022, 05:59 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler060922a.jpg

Urbanized
06-13-2022, 08:42 AM
That is a pretty serious brick frame on this building.

They work with a builder who specializes in historic masonry-based construction. He relocated from (I believe) Atlanta just to work with these developers on their new urbanist projects. I was lucky enough to tour a home under construction at Carlton Landing a few years ago.

Most folks don’t immediately see THAT much difference between these structures and a typical home, but it is a completely different (and much older) technology at work here. In 99.9% of typical “brick” homes built in the last 100 years, the brick is really just a thin veneer applied in front of a wood framed structure. The home you see in this pic has ZERO wood framing at this point; the masonry is structural rather than simply decorative.

This is the way homes and buildings were constructed for centuries, right up until the industrial revolution began to slowly eliminate craftsmanship from the equation.

ManAboutTown
06-13-2022, 08:55 AM
Maybe the folks in Hollywood will film "The Truman Show 2" here. ;) :D

PaddyShack
06-13-2022, 09:21 AM
Couldn't find it in my quick search, but what are the HOA fees here?

Pete
06-13-2022, 09:25 AM
They recently platted out most of the property on the west side of Western, with lots more housing. Also more live/work units are planned on land adjacent to the existing.

They continue to sell houses as quickly as they can be built.

If things continue at this rate, they may start work on the east side of Western sooner rather than later. Western already carries tons of traffic that is moving very fast through that area; the intersection with I-40 is often backed up. I know they wanted to slow things down through there and make it easier to cross between the east/west sections, but it's hard to imagine that happening other than simple pedestrian crossing walks/lights.

warreng88
06-13-2022, 09:26 AM
Couldn't find it in my quick search, but what are the HOA fees here?

There is a property on zillow located at 1912 Pioneer Street. It is listed as $879M. The HOA fees is advertised at $2,352/year.

PaddyShack
06-13-2022, 09:34 AM
There is a property on zillow located at 1912 Pioneer Street. It is listed as $879M. The HOA fees is advertised at $2,352/year.

Thank you

warreng88
06-13-2022, 09:35 AM
Thank you

You're welcome. I have never lived in an HOA, so I don't know if the cost is the same regardless of the property size/price or if it changes if you paid more. Maybe someone can weigh in here.

soonerguru
06-13-2022, 10:59 AM
$2,352 a year seems very cheap for HOA. Are they building a community pool?

king183
06-13-2022, 11:42 AM
$2,352 a year seems very cheap for HOA. Are they building a community pool?

The pool is built, but not yet operational. Not sure what the delay is, but it should be open very soon by the looks of it.

I235+I44
06-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Western already carries tons of traffic that is moving very fast through that area; the intersection with I-40 is often backed up.
The backing up during commute hours has been crazy. I posted about it few months ago in the Action Center to give more time for Northbound traffic, but I haven't seen a change yet. I would love for those traffic lights to be either sensor-based or uneven times with more time being given to Northbound. I haven't seen any large backup of vehicles on the other 3 sides at any time of the day and it's always the Northbound that's backed up.

I know they wanted to slow things down through there and make it easier to cross between the east/west sections, but it's hard to imagine that happening other than simple pedestrian crossing walks/lights.
I saw Roundabout planned on Western, but I don't know when the work will start. I think the roundabout will definitely help for pedestrians with crossing Western, as well as for vehicles entering Western from the community.

king183
06-13-2022, 01:33 PM
The traffic at that bridge is ridiculous, as the poster above said. Some days in can take me 30 minutes just to get from one side of the bridge to the next because of the terrible design and light timing. I’m not sure what the city and ODOT can do short of a complete redesign, but it seems like a 1980’s design meant for 1/10th the traffic.

As to the roundabout, it would greatly improve the traffic situation on Western near the district. People regularly go 60 mph+ down that stretch, so a roundabout would stop that. It would also making egress and ingress much easier. My understanding is that it’s just a proposal right now and is a long way off (10 years) due to the need to get city approval and funding, but that could be an old understanding.

Canoe
06-16-2022, 07:46 AM
That townhome alley in wheeler district needs those stringed lights overhead.

Mantison
06-21-2022, 09:52 AM
Can you imagine a development with this kind of planning, but for housing that doesn't require the owners to be significantly wealthy?

king183
06-21-2022, 09:55 AM
Can you imagine a development with this kind of planning, but for housing that doesn't require the owners to be significantly wealthy?

I live in Wheeler and I would not consider myself to be "significantly wealthy" and I know several neighbors who are certainly not "significantly wealthy," including some who work service industry jobs and some families here who are on single incomes. So, yes, I can absolutely imagine a development with this kind of planning that doesn't require the owners to be "significantly wealthy."

shartel_ave
06-21-2022, 09:58 AM

that has to be the most expensive house in the world at $879m haha

DowntownMan
06-21-2022, 10:02 AM
that has to be the most expensive house in the world at $879m haha

In financial world m means thousands. And mm is millions.
So 879m means same as 879k

shartel_ave
06-21-2022, 10:03 AM
In financial world m means thousands. And mm is millions.
So 879m means same as 879k

Oh, you thought I was serious? What is this Rome?

Ginkasa
06-21-2022, 10:04 AM
I live in Wheeler and I would not consider myself to be "significantly wealthy" and I know several neighbors who are certainly not "significantly wealthy," including some who work service industry jobs and some families here who are on single incomes. So, yes, I can absolutely imagine a development with this kind of planning that doesn't require the owners to be "significantly wealthy."

"Significantly wealthy" is hyperbolic at best, but the cheapest house currently listed on Wheeler's site is $399,000 for almost $300 a square foot. The next cheapest is $609,000. You and your neighbors are doing pretty alright to afford to live there.

king183
06-21-2022, 10:11 AM
"Significantly wealthy" is hyperbolic at best, but the cheapest house currently listed on Wheeler's site is $399,000 for almost $300 a square foot. The next cheapest is $609,000. You and your neighbors are doing pretty alright to afford to live there.

Thanks. I am definitely doing "pretty alright" and I'm sure most of my neighbors are as well, but the poster I was responding to said "significantly wealthy," not "pretty alright." If he had said that, I probably wouldn't have responded. I'm sure you'd agree you don't have to have significant wealth to purchase a $400k home in OKC.

Mballard85
06-21-2022, 10:24 AM

A decent amount of these homes were build or had contracts prior to the current boom, I remember looking a couple of years ago and it was cheaper. If you're moving in now, it's a completely different story.

Ginkasa
06-21-2022, 12:31 PM
Thanks. I am definitely doing "pretty alright" and I'm sure most of my neighbors are as well, but the poster I was responding to said "significantly wealthy," not "pretty alright." If he had said that, I probably wouldn't have responded. I'm sure you'd agree you don't have to have significant wealth to purchase a $400k home in OKC.

You wrote this out like an argument which is weird because obviously we agree on the pretty alright point. I think Mantison's overall point is at least somewhat valid, but was adjusting his "significantly wealthy" comment into a more accurate "pretty alright" statement.

LocoAko
06-21-2022, 12:44 PM
The platting of the rest of the neighborhood (or almost all of the rest?) to the south and north of the current phase is in the process of going through Planning Commission approval last week and next week. Includes 238 additional single-family dwellings.

Teo9969
06-21-2022, 07:54 PM
The platting of the rest of the neighborhood (or almost all of the rest?) to the south and north of the current phase is in the process of going through Planning Commission approval last week and next week. Includes 238 additional single-family dwellings.

How far North?

Really hoping to see the parts where they get into multi-family.

king183
06-21-2022, 09:33 PM
How far North?

Really hoping to see the parts where they get into multi-family.

I’m betting you’re going to see multi-family in the current phase further south.

Pete
06-22-2022, 05:18 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler062222a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler062222b.jpg

shawnw
06-22-2022, 07:35 AM
will be nice for the connectivity between the wheel and the rest of the district to be formalized

CCOKC
08-22-2022, 02:28 PM
The GeoThermal is drilled and the construction fence is up for the next round of shop homes to the south and east of the existing Spoke street properties. The Wheeler sales office has moved out of the blue storage unit and into the barrel building next to the future home of Clarity Coffee. I am looking forward to the new retail neighbors whoever they may be.

PlannerDawg
08-22-2022, 05:40 PM
Just to put this into perspective, many homes that are 70+ years old are $800,000+ in many parts of the country.

PhiAlpha
08-23-2022, 10:45 AM
Just to put this into perspective, many homes that are 70+ years old are $800,000+ in many parts of the country.

You only have to look directly north of downtown to see that here as well and you can tack on an additional 20-50+ years on those.

TBD
10-13-2022, 08:43 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjifU_MrAO4/?igshid=ODBkMDk1MTU%3D

TBD
10-13-2022, 08:46 AM
The Big Friendly won a gold medal and a silver medal at The Great American Beer Festival this past weekend! They were also named Brewery of the Year in their size category. That's a pretty big deal for any brewery, let alone one that's not even two years old.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-13-2022, 09:28 AM
The Big Friendly won a gold medal and a silver medal at The Great American Beer Festival this past weekend! They were also named Brewery of the Year in their size category. That's a pretty big deal for any brewery, let alone one that's not even two years old.
Nice! The building is so good looking as well. Such a great brewery.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-13-2022, 09:32 AM
Saw that Fireman's #4 out of Texas won gold. Never understood why that beer wasn't dominating the OKC distributors. Way better than Boulevard out of KC equivalent.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
10-21-2022, 09:06 AM
Finally tried the taco nation, they have better quality corn tortillas that some other local places

corntortillas
10-21-2022, 03:02 PM
Finally tried the taco nation, they have better quality corn tortillas that some other local places

i'll be the real judge of that!

catcherinthewry
10-21-2022, 07:44 PM
i'll be the real judge of that!

lol

Jake
10-27-2022, 09:22 AM
Walked through here the other night and it's just really cool to see all the different houses and buildings. The variety in designs is fascinating. Really interested to see it continue to build out and get denser. I'm also excited for Clarity Coffee to open lol

Pete
12-06-2022, 07:17 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler120422a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler120422b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler120422c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler120422d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wheeler120422e.jpg

PaddyShack
12-06-2022, 11:28 AM
Has there been any progress on easing the congestion at the overpass over I-40?

ComeOnBenjals!
12-07-2022, 08:19 AM
From a Tulsan's perspective.. I think this is singlehandedly the best and most important development going on in OKC. I cannot wait to see what this looks like in 5-10 years. If my family ever moves back to OKC, I'll be looking at this neighborhood. I'm hoping that this spurs more dense development in the surrounding areas leading towards downtown.

Pete
12-07-2022, 08:34 AM
IMO the development has already hit critical mass and will just keep getting better.

With the restaurant, brewery and coffee shop you have pretty much everything you need within walking distance -- including a brand new elementary school, pool, park, playground and other businesses in the live/work sector.

With the advent of Kroger and other legit grocery delivery options, having a full store is really no longer needed.

I saw a new home listed at $1.6 million. Of course it's quite large, but still... Almost everything in this project is selling for near-record highs per SF.

It's not for me at this stage in my life as I am still decompressing from serious density trauma after all my years in California and then SoSA, but I could see changing my mind down the road.

It's awesome there is such an option in OKC.

king183
12-07-2022, 09:23 AM
IMO the development has already hit critical mass and will just keep getting better.

With the restaurant, brewery and coffee shop you have pretty much everything you need within walking distance -- including a brand new elementary school, pool, park, playground and other businesses in the live/work sector.

With the advent of Kroger and other legit grocery delivery options, having a full store is really no longer needed.

I saw a new home listed at $1.6 million. Of course it's quite large, but still... Almost everything in this project is selling for near-record highs per SF.

It's not for me at this stage in my life as I am still decompressing from serious density trauma after all my years in California and then SoSA, but I could see changing my mind down the road.

It's awesome there is such an option in OKC.

This house you reference is going to be amazing. It's so expensive because it's being built by Building Culture using structural masonry--all brick, no stick. Only one other house in the neighborhood is being built this way right now. All the work Building Culture is doing in Wheeler is very high quality, so I'm excited to see what they do with this one.

bucktalk
12-08-2022, 09:30 AM
I wish I knew if the area has a genuine 'community' vibe going on. I wonder if neighbors congregate on their front porches, etc. Is it more like Mayberry or Stepford Wives type of vibe?

Plutonic Panda
12-08-2022, 09:37 AM
I wish I knew if the area has a genuine 'community' vibe going on. I wonder if neighbors congregate on their front porches, etc. Is it more like Mayberry or Stepford Wives type of vibe?
I keep hearing about how they plan on integrating with the neighborhood to the west like how real cities around the world are designed but it’s looking more and more like there won’t be a connected street grid.

Pete
12-08-2022, 09:41 AM

The people I know that live there absolutely love it and interacting with neighbors is always listed very high on the list.

The pool, park, playground, school, restaurant and brewery are all congregating points.

bucktalk
12-08-2022, 09:49 AM
The people I know that live there absolutely love it and interacting with neighbors is always listed very high on the list.

The pool, park, playground, school, restaurant and brewery are all congregating points.

If it's that genuine, that's enough appeal for many. They continue to enjoy success I assume.

king183
12-08-2022, 10:31 AM
I keep hearing about how they plan on integrating with the neighborhood to the west like how real cities around the world are designed but it’s looking more and more like there won’t be a connected street grid.

I don't know what basis you have to say this. The plan has always been to connect and it's in process. They are finishing the current phase, which completes with the homes at the far south end of the development (in Pete's pics you can see the dirt moving on that), then they move north where the streets are being built that connect the neighborhood to the west all the way to Western.

Plutonic Panda
12-08-2022, 10:36 AM
I don't know what basis you have to say this. The plan has always been to connect and it's in process. They are finishing the current phase, which completes with the homes at the far south end of the development (in Pete's pics you can see the dirt moving on that), then they move north where the streets are being built that connect the neighborhood to the west all the way to Western.
I saw that on the basis of the aerial photographs and visiting the place in person but maybe I’m missing it.

king183
12-08-2022, 10:46 AM

By the way, I keep seeing comments by non-contributing zeroes on social media about how this neighborhood is a "compound" because it's not integrated with the neighborhood to the west, which typically is accompanied by some trite reference to Stepford Wives. The fact is the neighborhood regularly hosts events for which the surrounding neighborhoods are invited (and attend) and residents from those neighborhoods are constantly at the playground and park with their children, eating at the restaurant, drinking at the brewery, attending the weekly bike races, and they attend the same school as the kids in the neighborhood. Even without the street connection built out, there is already social integration. I imagine it will increase further as more businesses and more residents move into the neighborhood and, of course, the street connection and sidewalks are built.

ComeOnBenjals!
12-08-2022, 11:45 AM
Great design by the planners to include multiple "Third Spaces". Something that both OK's major cities are majorly lacking in outside of downtown/midtown.

Also, I've seen a lot of negative comments on social media about how the buildings look. I actually really like the look.. but I also think it will look better in 10-15 years. Good buildings/neighborhoods have to age and mature, like a good wine.

LakeEffect
12-08-2022, 01:46 PM
Also, I've seen a lot of negative comments on social media about how the buildings look. I actually really like the look.. but I also think it will look better in 10-15 years. Good buildings/neighborhoods have to age and mature, like a good wine.

Same. It makes me wonder what those people would prefer in its place? What other type of design is "good" or "better" than this?

Pete
12-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Next time, I'll post some ground-level photos that are far prettier than drone shots.

It's a really great place at street level.

Anonymous.
12-08-2022, 02:29 PM
The commenters on social media hating on Wheeler and the way the homes look, are probably posting from a boring cookies cutter suburbia home. The homes in Wheeler are unique and built with high quality material that take energy efficiency seriously.

Here is the home all the Wheeler haters are posting from:

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/61ac4fabf5e14c995f47352835be02d2-cc_ft_1536.webp

Jake
12-08-2022, 02:32 PM
"But where are you supposed to park??"

Pete
12-08-2022, 02:35 PM
As I've said before, it's great to have Wheeler as an option.

It's not for me at this stage of my life, but I'm glad it's there as a future option and for all those that want to live there.

I also understand why people want to live on big lots in Edmond. As we grow as a city, it's good to have a variety of options. Wasn't that long ago that the suburban tract home was the only choice.

okatty
12-08-2022, 03:00 PM
I'll say the Wheeler District has really intrigued us. I agree with Pete that it might not be for everyone but it's a pretty awesome neighborhood for families, and also could be for some empty nester folks who prefer no yard work - the downside on that is those people also usually don't want to walk stairs and many of the homes are two-three story. To me it is really impressive what they have done.

fortpatches
12-09-2022, 10:38 AM
I really like the Wheeler District. I am seriously considering it for our next move if we stay in Oklahoma.