View Full Version : Crossroads Mall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Jesseda
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
it is common sense the mall would close soon, lol.. common just look at the mall this past year. there is no doubt the place is closing, the post of future plans, just more retailers leaving, put two and two together, the place is closing soon..

jn1780
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
From someone in a position that would know, that has no reason to lie about it.

Not trying to be coy but that's about as specific as I'm gonna get - hope you understand.

The Bestbuy store right? I think people are getting confused and think your talking about Crossroads Mall.

Jesseda
03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
i think he is talking about best buy, i read it wrong earlier, but still .. crossroads will be closing soon I dont understand how they can still be open.

Thunder
03-23-2011, 08:35 PM
i think he is talking about best buy, i read it wrong earlier, but still .. crossroads will be closing soon I dont understand how they can still be open.

Maybe because some new stores moved in. Berlin wall or whatever it was, wasn't built in a day.

oneforone
03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi, Matt.
Where did you here that? More info, please!

Big spaces, big deals
Inman and Stuart said notable transactions over the past six months include:
• Hobby Lobby ” 60,000 square feet at Walnut Square Shopping Center, near Interstate 240 and S Pennsylvania Avenue.
• Walmart Neighborhood Market ” 53,000 square feet at Reno Avenue and Midwest Boulevard.
• Gold's Gym ” 50,000 square feet on Memorial Road near N Pennsylvania Avenue.
• Best Buy ” 32,500 square feet at 240 Penn Park, I-240 and S Pennsylvania Avenue.
• CDR Electronics ” 19,006 square feet at Southern Hills Shopping Center, I-240 and S Pennsylvania Avenue.
• Tom's Formal Wear ” 23,600 square feet at Southern Hills Shopping Center.
• Northern Tool 18,019 square feet at Southern Hills Shopping Center.
• Gold's Gym 31,000 square feet at 3625 Northwest Expressway.
• Planet Fitness ” 29,000 square feet at Lakeshore Shopping Center, NW 63 and Northwest Expressway.
• ULTA ” 20,000 square feet, University Town Center, Interstate 35 and Robinson in Norman.
• CitiTrends ” 13,000 square feet at Penn Crossing Shopping Center, NW 23 and Pennsylvania (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Pennsylvania&CATEGORY=STATE).
• Party Galaxy ” 10,000 square feet at Edmond Crossing Shopping Center, 33rd Street and Broadway in Edmond (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Edmond+(Oklahoma)&CATEGORY=CITY).

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-dark-stores-seeing-the-light/article/3538316#ixzz1HV4U4JGE

Jesseda
03-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Stores going in, but more going out then in.. i know of 2 spots are empty or will empty soon..

Bailey80
03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
it is common sense the mall would close soon, lol.. common just look at the mall this past year. there is no doubt the place is closing, the post of future plans, just more retailers leaving, put two and two together, the place is closing soon..

I talked with some of the merchants there and none of them knew of any plans to close the mall. They are still collecting rent over there from about 40 tenants. The mall is still on the market and worth way to a potential buyer if it remains open than it would be closed and completely empty.

Jesseda
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
it ws mentioned earlier, lenscrafters and th massengale eye clinic are moving to moore soon. The mall if it will get back to mall status, will have to have a major remodel, th parking lot is bad the inside is outdated, etc.. the mall pretty much is almost flea market status, they only have i belive 6 name brand stores, and the rest are mom and pop places, kinda like how the mall in midwest city was for a year or so before the closing of it

Soonerman
03-24-2011, 10:58 PM
I wonder if Hot Topic left yet?

rondvu
03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Wonder when the end of this thread is near? :-)

kevinpate
03-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Wonder when the end of this thread is near? :-)

Seems someone was asking that just the other year ... '08 I think it was <VBG>

Lauri101
03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Seems someone was asking that just the other year ... '08 I think it was <VBG>

When the area formerly known as Crossroads is nothing but a big steaming pile of...rubble - yeah, that's it...

Spartan
03-27-2011, 05:54 AM
From someone in a position that would know, that has no reason to lie about it.

Not trying to be coy but that's about as specific as I'm gonna get - hope you understand.

Well, your username DOES start with the letter 'm' ;)

megax11
03-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Good news about the Best Buy. Easier access, plus it being on the core of southside, should bring some more businesses around the area.

Now I will live 1 mile away from Best Buy. I plan to spend lots now to show my support.

If nothing is going to happen to Crossroads, especially the plans that WERE in place (supposedly), then **** it. Tear that thing down, and do something with it. Maybe those stupid business colleges will be ran out of town too. So worthless.

Snowman
03-28-2011, 08:02 PM
If nothing is going to happen to Crossroads, especially the plans that WERE in place (supposedly), then **** it. Tear that thing down, and do something with it. Maybe those stupid business colleges will be ran out of town too. So worthless.
24 million is a big price to pay to tear down the structure that is a large part of what you just paid for, at best it will probably just be renovated to some other purpose. Now who would want it as something to start from is a problem, it would not surprise me if ends up the federal version of Shepard Mall.

megax11
03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
If it is renovated into some idiotic government office complex, or pitiful business college (which seems like all southside is filled with), then they should just nape the place and call it a day. Some pilot could drop a bomb and call it an accident.

I can't stand to see such a huge mall, that I have fond memories of, wasting space. It's only spitting in the face of those who love that mall, if they do something other than keep it a mall.

Thunder
03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
It can still be a mall, a government mall. If all of them relocate from Shepard Mall to Crossroads Mall, it will for sure help revive the place, and then it will help some of the businesses with steady traffic flow, such as those flocking to the SSA office. I have seen some gift shops at the Shepard Mall. It wouldn't bother me to own a store inside a government mall.

BrettM2
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
It can still be a mall, a government mall. If all of them relocate from Shepard Mall to Crossroads Mall, it will for sure help revive the place, and then it will help some of the businesses with steady traffic flow, such as those flocking to the SSA office. I have seen some gift shops at the Shepard Mall. It wouldn't bother me to own a store inside a government mall.

I don't see the government relocating all of their offices from 23rd and Villa to I-240 and I-35. That's a big move, doesn't really make much sense in terms of the rest of downtown (and other government offices) are not far from Shepard Mall. I grew up with Crossroads mall, but wanting to resurrect doesn't seem possible.

Swake2
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
If it is renovated into some idiotic government office complex, or pitiful business college (which seems like all southside is filled with), then they should just nape the place and call it a day. Some pilot could drop a bomb and call it an accident.

I can't stand to see such a huge mall, that I have fond memories of, wasting space. It's only spitting in the face of those who love that mall, if they do something other than keep it a mall.

At least you still have your dreams....

Lauri101
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Unfortunately, it won't happen, although I'd much rather see our offices at Crossroads rather than downtown. Our customers hate coming downtown, parking is horrendous and employees take a pay cut in order to pay to park and come to work.

GSA doesn't want anything to do with Crossroads - and GSA makes all the decisions of location of federal offices. I've already asked our facilities folks and it's not happening.

Megax11 - sorry - but I'd rather see the building put to good use - even with "idiotic government offices" than rot away. Even idiotic government employees need a place to work so YOU can utilize all the services that you wouldn't have without government workers at local, state or federal levels.

earlywinegareth
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Here's my idea: world's largest indoor skating rink/skateboard park. Disco night will be frickin amazing.

Thunder
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, it won't happen, although I'd much rather see our offices at Crossroads rather than downtown. Our customers hate coming downtown, parking is horrendous and employees take a pay cut in order to pay to park and come to work.

GSA doesn't want anything to do with Crossroads - and GSA makes all the decisions of location of federal offices. I've already asked our facilities folks and it's not happening.

Megax11 - sorry - but I'd rather see the building put to good use - even with "idiotic government offices" than rot away. Even idiotic government employees need a place to work so YOU can utilize all the services that you wouldn't have without government workers at local, state or federal levels.

I'm sad that these malls were ruined. :-( HPM and now CRM.

megax11
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
At least you still have your dreams....

Yeah, no kidding. I've had more since, but we will see what happens.

ljbab728
05-14-2011, 12:21 AM
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-11661-crossroads-mall%E2%80%99s-future-at-a-crossroads.html

Larry OKC
05-14-2011, 01:42 AM
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-11661-crossroads-mall%E2%80%99s-future-at-a-crossroads.html

The second option, he said, would be to leave it as is and turn it into a discount mall. This would require bringing in an owner with some retail background, and opening nontraditional stores that offer discount goods.

Or the Outlet Mall. Seems like this would have been a far better location than on the edge of town.

rcjunkie
05-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Or the Outlet Mall. Seems like this would have been a far better location than on the edge of town.

Edge of town ?, it's almost the same distance from downtown OKC to Crossroads as it is to I-40 and Council

Larry OKC
05-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Your right about the distance part. its a perception thing, Council still seems like the edge (but getting smaller) where OKC seems fairly developed all the way through Moore and Norman. At Crossroads it would seem more centrally located in the metro area (aren't there more people to the South, than there are to the West? Pulling some of the business we have recently lost to Moore back to OKC. Another good location putting it as a Southern edge Core to Shore anchor, but if not there, at least utilize existing space with Crossroads, but it is being built where its being built and I hope it is a success.

the michigander
05-14-2011, 08:22 AM
I just moved to okc a couple of months ago and I have never seen a mall like crossroads with no anchors then I seen gangland and I found out why it is they way it is.

To bring crossroads mall back 1st think that has to be addressed is security. If u could get the highway patrol office to move in there I tjink that would help with that. That would bring 2 things security and foot traffic. Second if u could get that sears on 44th and western to move there along with burlington would also help. Then try to get some stores that bypassed the outlets on council like nordstrom rack and u could start a renaissance.

Snowman
05-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Your right about the distance part. its a perception thing, Council still seems like the edge (but getting smaller) where OKC seems fairly developed all the way through Moore and Norman. At Crossroads it would seem more centrally located in the metro area (aren't there more people to the South, than there are to the West? Pulling some of the business we have recently lost to Moore back to OKC. Another good location putting it as a Southern edge Core to Shore anchor, but if not there, at least utilize existing space with Crossroads, but it is being built where its being built and I hope it is a success.

While their are more people to the south than the central-west, both the south and central-west pail to how many are in the north and north-west. Any business that built a building will not be interested in a new location for quite some time, especially one at the location of a major construction project that will probably take a decade. Crossroads at this point being a failed mall is a barrier for attracting new stores. While construction at C2S looks more attractive now, the project to put one at council has been in development for years and I think was suppose to be already be open but delayed by the economy. Given building trends it seems like near the intersection of NW Expressway and the Kilpatrick turnpike, off Broadway Extension or near Quail Springs would have been the next most likely locations chosen for the project.

jn1780
05-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I hope they think someone will buy the mall soon because people are seriously looking at buying the mall. If anyone did something with the mall I'm sure the city would sign off on it. The city itself isn't going to do anything to the Crossroads site, they have other issues to worry about.

OKCNDN
05-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Crossroads is too close to Moore and the many shops located there. I think retail is out of the question for that location. The new outlet mall at I-40 and Council is far enough away to be successful.

soonerliberal
05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Like any other retail, outlet malls look for positive demographics. I guarantee you that there will be plenty of BMWs in the parking lot at the new mall on Council, just as there are in Grapevine or Allen, TX outlet malls. Everyone wants a bargain, regardless of income. With that, the retail establishments look for desirable demographics. Unfortunately, the 2.5 and 5-mile radius average income of Crossroads mall is not nearly high enough to attract retail, whether it is outlet or not.

mcca7596
05-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Like any other retail, outlet malls look for positive demographics. I guarantee you that there will be plenty of BMWs in the parking lot at the new mall on Council, just as there are in Grapevine or Allen, TX outlet malls. Everyone wants a bargain, regardless of income. With that, the retail establishments look for desirable demographics. Unfortunately, the 2.5 and 5-mile radius average income of Crossroads mall is not nearly high enough to attract retail, whether it is outlet or not.

The only BMWs parked at the outlet mall that will come from within a 5 mile radius would be from Yukon/Mustang.

rcjunkie
05-15-2011, 06:49 PM
The only BMWs parked at the outlet mall that will come from within a 5 mile radius would be from Yukon/Mustang.

My daughter drives a BMW, lives in Norman, and she'll definately shop there.

mcca7596
05-15-2011, 06:56 PM
My daughter drives a BMW, lives in Norman, and she'll definately shop there.

Right, I know it will bring people from all over the state. I said within a 5 mile radius that Yukon/Mustang is the only place an expensive foreign car would come from.

ljbab728
05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Right, I know it will bring people from all over the state. I said within a 5 mile radius that Yukon/Mustang is the only place an expensive foreign car would come from.

Are you not familiar with all of the relatively upscale housing areas located in OKC between Mustang and Yukon?

soonerliberal
05-16-2011, 07:37 AM

You are missing the point. While people from all over the metro will come to a destination retail setting, the developers generally don't consider that. Developers look at the 5 mile and 10 mile median income (sometimes the 15 mile). The fact remains that Crossroads mall area has awful demographic data.

megax11
05-16-2011, 10:51 AM
With southsides luck, it will become another pitiful office complex like Shephard Mall.

I say they lay waste to the entire area and redevelop if that's the case. Put a six flags there or somethin'.

mcca7596
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Are you not familiar with all of the relatively upscale housing areas located in OKC between Mustang and Yukon?

I know where you are talking about, basically east of Morgan road. It's Mustang schools and all those people more so identify with Mustang even though they have an Oklahoma City address.

I guess there are better demographics in Oklahoma City proper around that area than I first thought.

OKCNDN
05-16-2011, 11:14 AM
There are also many upscale homes just east of Lake Overholser.

mcca7596
05-16-2011, 01:37 PM
The fact remains that Crossroads mall area has awful demographic data.

I certainly don't deny that.

Snowman
05-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I know where you are talking about, basically east of Morgan road. It's Mustang schools and all those people more so identify with Mustang even though they have an Oklahoma City address.

I guess there are better demographics in Oklahoma City proper around that area than I first thought.

I think you mean west of morgan, around nw 5th is the dividing line in which go to yukon and which go to mustang.

SoonerDave
05-16-2011, 07:38 PM
You are missing the point. While people from all over the metro will come to a destination retail setting, the developers generally don't consider that. Developers look at the 5 mile and 10 mile median income (sometimes the 15 mile). The fact remains that Crossroads mall area has awful demographic data.

Your facts are in error.

The highest per-capita income density demographic in the central part of Oklahoma is at the edge of that 10-mile radius, anchored by areas such as Rivendell, Greenbriar, and Lakeridge Run (to name a few). That's one of the reasons Odom built the Chatenay shopping center at SW 104th and Penn. I have to admit that I was stunned when I saw that data, because I thought there was no way that area could eclipse Edmond or north OKC, but sure enough...

Not saying that fact alone could justify the resuscitation of Crossroads, because the *one-mile* radius around the mall is troubled, and will likely become even moreso in the next decade when they really do decide to rebuild the I-240/I-35 interchange...but the notion that the area is devoid of potential shopping dollars is simply inaccurate.

KarenAGypsy
05-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe those stupid business colleges will be ran out of town too. So worthless.

Remember that the next time you need an X-Ray or other medical test done and there's a knowledgable and well trained tech there to do it for you.

Where do you think those skills are learned? On the job training?

oneforone
05-17-2011, 02:34 AM
No matter what happens somebody is going to have invest a ton of money to bring the place back to being useful again. Tearing it down is going to cost millions if not billions. Renovation is going to cost millions if not billions. We need to he honest about this and realize Crossroads retail days are long gone. It won't be long before big box retail becomes a thing of the past. Almost all retailers including Best Buy and Walmart are realizing that people are not frequenting the larger stores as much. Online shopping and the desire to consume less is making the big stores harder to stock. I noticed most supercenters in the city have scaled back on stock. They are now stocking what will move fast an strategically placing seasonal items near the exits to cater to the customer who only plans to get one or two items and get out. The two east side stores seem to make it a point to have the express checkouts and self checkouts all open while only keeping a handful open for the basket full crowd.

I think the best use for Crossroads would be a mix use of medical clinics, city, state and federal offices that see high traffic. Such as DPS licensing, vital records, passports, a satellite center for city and county courts, a hub center for city buses. They could convert the inner walking area to an indoor city park with picnic areas, playgrounds, amphitheaters, walking trail, minature golf, the list goes on.

The only option we should not do is let the place sit and slowly die. If that happens one many commercial property slumlords will likely buy and let it rot until the city is forced to tear it down for health and safety reasons.

bombermwc
05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Not entirely accurate there. What big box stores are learning, is how to correctly use "just in time" inventory. Many lessons can be learned from Home Depot to cite an example. They have always used a business model in their inventory that maximizes profit from inventory.

Take a box of electrical outlets on a trip through their system. They order the shipment from the manufacturer and it arrives on a semi at the distribution center. That shipment NEVER makes it to a shelf at the distribution center...EVER. In less than an hour, that product has distributed itself to various belts that split the large order up to many smaller orders to be palletized for individual stores and is back out the door. So from the time the shipment arrives at the dock, in less than an hour, it's already on a truck out to the store. So the traditional idea of a large distribution enter with stacks of shelving with forklifts running arround to create a store delivery are non-existent. That ability to push the inventory down to the store level means they save TONS of money.

So I wouldn't say the big box store is gone, but it will turn into survival of the fittest, like any capitalist venture. Those that are able to adjust, survive.

But that is all totally irrelevant to something like a mall. It's not big-box, it's a collection of strip-mall size shops. Yes there are anchors, but those stores didn't all die, they simply moved. Penny's went to MWC and Moore and are making a tone more money now. Sears was smart from the start and never went into Crossroads and still kicks it on Western. Wards went bankrupt, Dillard's and Macy's just left. Again, thost that could adjust, survived and didn't go bankrupt. You don't see Penny's, Koh'ls, Belks, etc in danger of filing Chapter 11.

megax11
05-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I can almost bet that anyone who wishes for CRM to turn into an office complex, lives close to a mall, or a better selection of stores, unlike us southsiders.

Those people should live on southside OKC, and see what they think about the retail selection around here, instead of always thinking anything on southside should be nothing more than government or medical offices.

soonerliberal
05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Your facts are in error.

The highest per-capita income density demographic in the central part of Oklahoma is at the edge of that 10-mile radius, anchored by areas such as Rivendell, Greenbriar, and Lakeridge Run (to name a few). That's one of the reasons Odom built the Chatenay shopping center at SW 104th and Penn. I have to admit that I was stunned when I saw that data, because I thought there was no way that area could eclipse Edmond or north OKC, but sure enough...

But you are ignoring the 75 percent of the neighborhoods and apartments within that 5 mile radius that are low income. Indeed, 73170 is the highest income zip code in the state, BUT the circle around Crossroads only skirts the area. It also totally encompasses some very low income zip codes and some low to average income zipcodes (73139/part of 59).

soonerliberal
05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
I can almost bet that anyone who wishes for CRM to turn into an office complex, lives close to a mall, or a better selection of stores, unlike us southsiders.

Those people should live on southside OKC, and see what they think about the retail selection around here, instead of always thinking anything on southside should be nothing more than government or medical offices.

I lived near 104th and Western for around 18 years. Crossroads is not the end all be all for retail. There is plenty of room (both financially and physically) on the southside for more retail. However, there are plenty of other areas on the southside that are proper for greater retail growth.

earlywinegareth
05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Which is why I am eager to see what develops along the I-44 corridor east of the airport. The "Westmoore" area of OKC is an underserved market...our nearest mall choices are Norman or Penn Square. The next closest retail center is I-35/19th St in Moore. So 3 choices within about 20 minutes drive time, but nothing close.

soonerliberal
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Which is why I am eager to see what develops along the I-44 corridor east of the airport. The "Westmoore" area of OKC is an underserved market...our nearest mall choices are Norman or Penn Square. The next closest retail center is I-35/19th St in Moore. So 3 choices within about 20 minutes drive time, but nothing close.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Spartan
05-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Actually, I am anxious to see something more fitting start to serve the Westmoore area. It's time for OKC to move beyond shopping malls and strip malls. The Westmoore area would be better off with something more like Spring Creek in Edmond. What this area of OKC does NOT need is Crossroads Mall. The sooner we move beyond Crossroads and close that mall for good, the better. The two things that need to be pursued are a lifestyle center somewhere in south OKC or revitalizing the inner south side with actual, urban retail. These are the only two things that can really combat the tax slippage to Moore and Norman.

Don't just offer what Moore is offering, offer a shopping area that is unique and better than anything Moore could offer. Why is this concept difficult to understand? What we don't need is to revive Crossroads and bring in more strip malls.

megax11
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I lived near 104th and Western for around 18 years. Crossroads is not the end all be all for retail. There is plenty of room (both financially and physically) on the southside for more retail. However, there are plenty of other areas on the southside that are proper for greater retail growth.

But I bet you do most of your shopping near or on 19th street in Moore?

I mean what does southside OKC have besides 240 Penn Park? The plaza west of it only has an FYE, Hobby Lobby, and Conns. Otherwise, it is filled with business schools and a hair college.

What's by Crossroads? Best Buy is going to 240 Penn Park (mentioned above), and Toys R Us is the only place there, with the mall dying and the surrounding areas filled with yet more business schools.

So let's see. We got Dollar Tree and Hancock fabrics we can shop at, a plethora of eateries, and carlots. If I want to shop at a mall, I have to go to northside or Quail. If I want to go to the nice theatre, I have to go to Moore. If I want to go to a REAL bookstore, it's northside or Norman. Where does southside factor into anything but the lower bottom of the retail foodchain?

soonerliberal
05-18-2011, 02:09 PM
But I bet you do most of your shopping near or on 19th street in Moore?

I mean what does southside OKC have besides 240 Penn Park? The plaza west of it only has an FYE, Hobby Lobby, and Conns. Otherwise, it is filled with business schools and a hair college.

What's by Crossroads? Best Buy is going to 240 Penn Park (mentioned above), and Toys R Us is the only place there, with the mall dying and the surrounding areas filled with yet more business schools.

So let's see. We got Dollar Tree and Hancock fabrics we can shop at, a plethora of eateries, and carlots. If I want to shop at a mall, I have to go to northside or Quail. If I want to go to the nice theatre, I have to go to Moore. If I want to go to a REAL bookstore, it's northside or Norman. Where does southside factor into anything but the lower bottom of the retail foodchain?

I'm not sure where we disagree. I agree that there are a ton of not-so-amazing options in South OKC. I still believe:

Crossroads is not the end all be all for retail. There is plenty of room (both financially and physically) on the southside for more retail. However, there are plenty of other areas on the southside that are proper for greater retail growth.

My point is that retail growth on the southside does NOT have to be near Crossroads. There are a TON of other areas that can be developed in many different ways. I agree with Spartan in that far south OKC needs something that is different than 240 Penn Park or the 19th and I-35 area in Moore. However, those concepts do NOT need to be at Crossroads.

While extremely unlikely, I would love to see a small lifestyle center that is anchored by a Dillards or Macy's along I-44 in SW OKC. However, something more feasible that I also would like to see is a Spring Creek type of place near 119th or 134th and May or Penn. Neither of those types of locations are going to happen in the Crossroads area or along I-240.

Spartan
05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
y point is that retail growth on the southside does NOT have to be near Crossroads. There are a TON of other areas that can be developed in many different ways. I agree with Spartan in that far south OKC needs something that is different than 240 Penn Park or the 19th and I-35 area in Moore. However, those concepts do NOT need to be at Crossroads.

While extremely unlikely, I would love to see a small lifestyle center that is anchored by a Dillards or Macy's along I-44 in SW OKC. However, something more feasible that I also would like to see is a Spring Creek type of place near 119th or 134th and May or Penn. Neither of those types of locations are going to happen in the Crossroads area or along I-240.

I just don't understand how anyone could still be clinging to Crossroads, especially the Crossroads location. The reason for south OKC's retail slippage is the urban donut hole effect. Obviously Crossroads was a bad idea because it emptied out all of Capitol Hill's former retail district, which not only led to the decline of that once-great part of the city, but then it made the next logical step for all of the retailers that moved out to Crossroads to just move out further to Moore.

megax11
05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
I would love for southside to boom, but as long as those who own Dodson's, Almonte, and other empty plazas filled with bingo halls, do nothing, southside will be nothing when it comes to retail.

Those people who own these plazas probably think all they need to do is make money off the bingo halls, while leaving their plazas looking like crap, which makes southside look like the ghetto.

I wish the city would step in, and tell the people who own these plazas to do something for the sake of growth in the city, and a better look, or they will do whatever it takes to intervene.

Spartan
05-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I would love for southside to boom, but as long as those who own Dodson's, Almonte, and other empty plazas filled with bingo halls, do nothing, southside will be nothing when it comes to retail.

Those people who own these plazas probably think all they need to do is make money off the bingo halls, while leaving their plazas looking like crap, which makes southside look like the ghetto.

I wish the city would step in, and tell the people who own these plazas to do something for the sake of growth in the city, and a better look, or they will do whatever it takes to intervene.

Nope, and renovating old bingo halls on I-35 South isn't going to do it either. Where do you live exactly, Valley Brook?

Thunder
05-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Spartan, what do you have against the very few BINGO places across the metro?

ljbab728
05-18-2011, 11:27 PM
If I want to go to a REAL bookstore, it's northside or Norman.

So I guess that means that you don't consider Half Price Books to be a REAL bookstore. LOL
Would you prefer to have one of the national chains that are going out of business instead of one that is expanding?

megax11
05-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Half-Price books doesn't even get new books when they release.

Since when was Barnes and Noble going out of business?