View Full Version : Crossroads Mall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Patrick
05-05-2007, 04:38 PM
As long as Quail has the AMC movie theatre.. it will be visited... we went last night to see Spiderman 3.. (as did half the state it seemed like!) ... it was packed!

We bought tickets early in the day and came back about 50 min before show time... there was already a line but by the time they let us in the theater, the line was wrapped around the place.. they showed it in 7 theaters.. every 1/2 hour and still, the lines were amazingly long. The food court was jam packed and the entire mall was bustling.

Actually mall management at General Growth properties has told me, that the movie theater has actually hurt sales in the mall since it was built. They have a tough time getting any upscale national retailers to locate there. Upscale retailers don't want to locate at a mall that's known for its "teen problem." Shop-lifting at the mall has actually increased since the theater was built, per mall management.

Seems like management at Quail Springs has been trying to attract families with its stores. So I guess that's the route they're going. That might actually be a good move since Spring Creek Plaza, Spring Creek Village, and possibly a new mall in Edmond, would still the higher Edmond dollars away from the mall.

Patrick
05-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately, I think Crossroads Mall has already started a trend downward, and I think it's going to be too hard to revive the mall. A new type of retail won't do well there IMO because of the demographics of the surrounding area. Most outdoors type centers don't attract people in the same radius that malls do. For example, Spring Creek is mostly supported by Edmond. But, Penn Square and Quail Springs draw from all over.

On another note, the large parking lot that Crossroads sits on might make a nice lot for a commuter rail line serving the Moore/Norman area. People can park at the mall, and ride commuter rail into downtown, the capitol area, and the OUHSC.

Millie
05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
What about the demographics of the surrounding area? Is this another thread that's going to turn into a north vs south thing? Yeah, Crossroads doesn't attract the nicest element of people at this time. That doesn't mean that a completely revamped mall would attract the same people, and it certainly isn't a comment on the surrounding area. Unless, that is, you define "surrounding area" as the mall parking lot.

Karried
05-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I would think the increase of shoplifting might be in direct correlation with the increased number of visitors brought in by the movie theater .... percentage wise. Usually, when most of the teens are there in the evenings for the movies, the stores are all closed.

I shop there all the time..a few times a week. I haven't encountered any 'teen' problems .. in fact, my teen contributes quite a bit to Hot Topic! lol..

PUGalicious
05-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I do not need to post an article. It is your choice if you believe the truth. You have chosen against it.
Rather, I think the choice was to believe you or believe the truth as represented by actual facts. It's either/or, not both.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
05-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I have the perfect tenant for Crossroads Mall.

The Family Wreck-reation Center

That's right for as little as $50 per family you can enjoy the entertaining sport of operating wrecking machines.

Your kids will love the...

http://www.guysdirt.com/bull_dozer.jpg

Dad will love the wrecking crane.

http://www.metrocouncil.org/directions/images/snelling_kapow400.jpg

Mom will love the excavator jack hammer.

http://www.essex-demolitionltd.co.uk/images/excavator.gif

Even Grandma and Grampa can relive old memories with our instant implosion machine.

http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/implosion.jpg

Act now and join the fun today because next week when the dump trucks arrive.....

http://www.jmhtrailers.com/images/heavy-dump-trucks/Dump-T1.jpg

Family Wreck-reation Center will be HISTORY!!

okcpulse
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I recall the time I worked at a jewelry store at Quail Springs Mall. A lot of store managers wished AMC 24 wasn't built thanks to increased problems with teens. Another issue at hand was and still is... Tilt Arcade. It needs to be closed. Honestly, arcades have outlived their usefulness, and were best in a time when barely any households owned a game console. Teens quickly burn through money at today's arcades, and when they do go broke, what else is there to do but cause trouble. Granted, not all teens are trouble makers. Some are good kids. But those that are there to cause issues results in a costly burden for mall security. Those that do not drive to the mall get bored until their parents pick them up.

I remember having to constantly kick teens out of the kids' play area in front of our store for climbing all over the toys with little children still playing. In some cases, security had to be called.

In any case, Crossroads Mall is at a point of no return. Unless some ambitious developer has some irresistible plans for the property, the mall is as good as dead. The money is returning to Oklahoma City from the suburbs, but not in all areas. And certainly not at Crossroads.

Keith
05-05-2007, 09:38 PM
My daughter and I went to Crossroads three weeks ago so that I could get some new glasses from Lenscrafters. While we waited, we decided to take a stroll through the mall. This was about 5 PM on a weekday evening, and the mall was like a ghost town. There was hardly anyone there.

The employees at many of the shops we passed were either reading magazines, talking on their cell phones, or just staring outside their stores. We decided to eat at Chick-Fil-A, and there was no line at all.

My daughter, who is 14, informed me that she hadn't been to Crossroads to shop in at least a year or so. The only reason she has come to Crossroads lately, was to eat at Chick-Fil-A....and that was only because my son worked there. She told me that Penn Square is where lots of teens go now to shop. She said that parents of her friends refuse to drop them off at Crossroads.

I believe it is just a matter of time before the place shuts down and turns in to something else. I can guarantee you that the merchants at Crossroads are not making any money.......no customers=no profit.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Go there at noon on a weekday and it's pretty hoppin'. Not a bad crowd either. Older folks, lots of mall-walkers too.

It's the closest mall to my house (I live east of Moore), so I shop there when I have to.

Easy180
05-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I do not need to post an article. It is your choice if you believe the truth. You have chosen against it.

Thank you for finally admitting you were mistaken...Little different wording for an admission but we will take what we can get on here

As for Crossroads...Just don't see them spending a lot of money to revamp the mall to try and revive it in that area...Penn Square pulls from all over OKC and Edmond...Moore and Norman folks use Sooner and NW shop at Quail...That doesn't leave much of a base for Crossroads to pull from

Still very convenient for many, but all of us that are married know convenience isn't very important...They will happily drive for an hour to get to those $150 shoes :fighting3

Intrepid
05-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I am probably in the minority here, but I decided a long time ago that online shopping was the best for me. Especially with free shipping, and sometimes no sales tax, deals all over the place.

It's very rare that I set foot inside a mall anymore.

Patrick
05-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I would think the increase of shoplifting might be in direct correlation with the increased number of visitors brought in by the movie theater .... percentage wise. Usually, when most of the teens are there in the evenings for the movies, the stores are all closed.

I shop there all the time..a few times a week. I haven't encountered any 'teen' problems .. in fact, my teen contributes quite a bit to Hot Topic! lol..

Actually, sales at Quail Springs have fallen below $150 per square foot, while sales at Penn Square are about to top $250 per square foot. The mall's movie theater may be doing well, but the stores are not. That's all I can tell you. Anytime a mall goes over $200 per square foot you can expect high end national retailers to locate there.

Patrick
05-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I recall the time I worked at a jewelry store at Quail Springs Mall. A lot of store managers wished AMC 24 wasn't built thanks to increased problems with teens. Another issue at hand was and still is... Tilt Arcade. It needs to be closed. Honestly, arcades have outlived their usefulness, and were best in a time when barely any households owned a game console. Teens quickly burn through money at today's arcades, and when they do go broke, what else is there to do but cause trouble. Granted, not all teens are trouble makers. Some are good kids. But those that are there to cause issues results in a costly burden for mall security. Those that do not drive to the mall get bored until their parents pick them up.

I remember having to constantly kick teens out of the kids' play area in front of our store for climbing all over the toys with little children still playing. In some cases, security had to be called.

Yeah pulse you're 100% correct. That's exactly why mall management at Penn Square didn't renew their lease with Alladin's Castle arcade back in the 1990's. The teen problem it created actually put a dent in their overall sales. And that's why Penn Square hasn't gotten a larger theater, although theater companies have approached the mall about adding on a larger theater.

Tilt arcade at Quail Springs definitely needs to go. BUT, I doubt they'll boot out the arcade, because mall management at Quail Springs-General Growth Properties is focused on reaching families.

You know, Woodland Hills Mall, the state's largest mall, doesn't even have a movie theater, and with good reason. Mall management there has simply wanted to avoid the problem.

Both Penn Square and Woodland Hills Malls have focused on the retail components of their malls and abandoned the entertainment options. That's a decision that's resulted in both malls netting higher end retailers and thus becoming the two top malls when it comes to sales per square feet, Penn Square being #1, and Woodland Hills being #2.

Ask a few of the security guards at Quail Springs, the few that have been there the longest, whether they like Quail Springs better today or pre-AMC 24 and everyone of them will tell you they liked the old Quail Springs Mall better. The toughest project for mall management at Quail Springs has actually been getting the kiosks near the entrances/exits filled with tenants. I've been there a couple of times when those kiosks had tenants, and teens shop-lifted from them. Several months ago when I was at the mall, one teen grabbed a whole rack full of sunglasses, and ran with it out the mall. Mall management chased after him, but he was gone by the time mall management even got out the door.

That being said, Quail Springs isn't in jeopardy of closing anytime soon. But they really need to watch their focus, and the retailers they try to attract.

Crossroads on the other hand is on life support.

Patrick
05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
What about the demographics of the surrounding area? Is this another thread that's going to turn into a north vs south thing? Yeah, Crossroads doesn't attract the nicest element of people at this time. That doesn't mean that a completely revamped mall would attract the same people, and it certainly isn't a comment on the surrounding area. Unless, that is, you define "surrounding area" as the mall parking lot.

Well, although the south side does have one of the wealthiest zip codes in the city, it is true that most of the wealth in OKC in concentrated in the Northwest segment of the city. Look at any demographics map, and you'll see that.

Much of the money in the south is closer to the Moore/Norman areas, not Crossroads, thus Crossroads suffers.

Patrick
05-06-2007, 01:32 PM
As for Crossroads...Just don't see them spending a lot of money to revamp the mall to try and revive it in that area...Penn Square pulls from all over OKC and Edmond...Moore and Norman folks use Sooner and NW shop at Quail...That doesn't leave much of a base for Crossroads to pull from

Very true!

dismayed
05-06-2007, 01:41 PM
That's an interesting observation about theaters and the malls. I think the same things is happening in Bricktown and not just malls. It's amazing if you're down there on a Friday or Saturday night. If you cross over Reno going south (towards the theater), the average age-group drops about 10-20 years. As we all know it eventually led to curfews.

Karried
05-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I can see how unsupervised teens could cause problems. They try to show off for their friends and feel invincible.

I guess when my teen is there, he is supervised. I don't let him hang out at the mall without a parent ( but I'm the 'bad' parent because a lot of his friends parents just drop and go).

I guess it all comes down to parents thinking their kids are little angels .. when they are far from it.

But I wonder if the teens are only there because of the theater?

Patrick
05-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Karrie, I hope you didn't take me wrong. I'm in Quail a lot since I live in the Quail Creek area....most of the teens there are okay. It's just the select few. And yeah, I think it's because of the movie theater. I remember just a few years back when I was in high school, my parents would drop us off to "see a movie" but of course we'd do other things there as well. But, we never shopped much, and we never really spent money at the stores. Seems like that was the case with most of my other friends in high school as well.

Karried
05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
oh no, not at all. I just wish parents would control their kids better .. and not leave them to get into so much trouble.

redland
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
What about the demographics of the surrounding area? Is this another thread that's going to turn into a north vs south thing?

I hope it isn't. Nobody is casting aspersion on the people in southeast Oklahoma City that are adjacent to Crossroads. Their worth as human beings is not in question. But it is a fact that income levels in this area are such that there is very little disposable income. Thus they do not constitute a robust base for the mall.
In the earlier years of Crossroads, shoppers were drawn from other areas of the state. But that is no longer the case. Those from the north and west are not going to bypass Quail Springs and Penn Square to get to Crossroads. To the south and east, both Norman and Shawnee have malls that attract folks from that direction. Historically, Moore has been probably the strongest base for Crossroads. But now many people in Moore go to Sooner Malll instead as well as to the many new commercial outlets opening up in Moore. So there is no intent to pit anybody against anybody else. It's just a matter of economics.

Pete
05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Even though I hate to see it, I think the fate of Crossroads is sealed.

However, that might provide an opportunity for more retail development downtown. For example, perhaps Macy's could anchor a new development. They have been opening some smaller specialty stores.

Spartan
05-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Why do you hate to see it?

I wish other dumpy flea markets would fall so lifestyle centers and nicer urban districts can rise. But I suppose we share the same optimism.

Pete
05-07-2007, 09:13 AM
The problem is the old places tend to become long-standing eyesores.

Remember the old factory outlet malls in Moore and out on NW Expressway? The one in Moore was either completely empty or a bingo hall for at least a decade -- and I believe longer -- before it was finally knocked down.

I suppose a lot of this is urban darwinism but because there is so much available property around OKC, once projects fail they tend to be a blight for quite some time before it makes much fiscal sense to raize or renovate.

Crossroads is already pretty ugly, even just driving by. And it's highly visible as you drive into town from the south... I hate the idea the place is going to continue its slow rot for what is likely to be a long time.

okclee
05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens to Crossroads Mall when the 240 and 35 highway intersection is reworked.

oudirtypop
05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Chik Fil-A will probably bail before long. I used to work retail southside. The manager would come and give us free sandwhich coupons to get us to come down to the mall and eat.

It is only a matter of time before they open a southside Chik-Fil-A. It will probably go somewhere south of 240 (104th, 119th or 134th) or down on I-35 & 19th in Moore.

A Chick fil a is getting built in moore in front of new JC penny!

SoonerDave
05-07-2007, 10:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be interesting to see what happens to Crossroads Mall when the 240 and 35 highway intersection is reworked.

Considering they don't even have funding for the interchange rework project (even though they're buying up land for it), the longer-term fate of Crossroads will probably be known before it's done. Last I heard was that funding for that interchange was a minimum of five years down the road, perhaps even as much as ten.

-soonerdave

SoonerDave
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
A Chick fil a is getting built in moore in front of new JC penny!

One along I-240 would be just fine with me, or even somewhere in that newer development at 89th and Western, or even down to 119th and Western, though I don't know they want to put them that close together...

-soonerdave

Metro Master
05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
The problem is the old places tend to become long-standing eyesores.

Remember the old factory outlet malls in Moore and out on NW Expressway? The one in Moore was either completely empty or a bingo hall for at least a decade -- and I believe longer -- before it was finally knocked down.

So far, they have leveled the former "Sams" and "Microtel Inn" that was on the property. Believe it or not, that old "Outlet Mall of America" building is still there and occupied by a few retailers. :eek:

CCOKC
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
oh no, not at all. I just wish parents would control their kids better .. and not leave them to get into so much trouble.

What are the teenagers suppused to do for fun? I remember when I was a teenager here in OKC we didn't have anything to do but cruise 39th street. We did not have the big multi-plex movie theaters back then so when we went to a movie we usually just cruised around and looked for something to do until curfew. I concede that the kids hanging at the mall is a nuisance but there needs to be an alternative. The kids to think that there are options in OKC or they will want to get out of here and go somewhere fun when they graduate. I have two teenagers in high school now and am truly looking for suggestions of what they can do on a weekend night besides staying at home and not get into trouble and not be a nuisance to the public.

SoonerDave
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I always suspected that the merchants at Quail Springs hated that theater. It makes parking a struggle, brings in people who almost certainly aren't going to spend a penny anywhere outside the food court, and increases traffic without increasing sales....

-soonerdave

Metro Master
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
So far, they have leveled the former "Sams" and "Microtel Inn" that was on the property. Believe it or not, that old "Outlet Mall of America" building is still there and occupied by a few retailers. :eek:

I should have said that the old outlet mall building at S. 19th and I-35 "was occupied" by a few retailers. I noticed yesterday that the entire building is currently being leveled. :congrats:

Easy180
05-10-2007, 10:46 AM
So sad to see such a historical and lovely building torn down

(Feel free to replace the word historical with worn and lovely with crappy)

SeinfeldBlock
05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I had to return a shirt over the weekend that I purchased at a store in Penn Square to Crossroads (I live in Moore, work in Capitol area). I didn't want to drive all the way to Penn or Quail, so I went into Crossroads. It was the first time I'd been in there since 2005 (I lived in NYC for awhile). It was HORRIBLE how much it had declined. I was shocked--at noon on a Saturday! So I was talking to the clerk at the store, and I mentioned that the store was larger and I'd take a look around since I'm rarely in Crossroads.

I quote:

Clerk: "Well, I don't blame you for not coming to Crossroads! I wouldn't come here if I didn't have to..if I didn't work here."
Me: "Really? That bad?"
Clerk: "Yeah, it's ok as long as you don't have to be here after 4:00 p.m."

Wow. That says more than anything.

I have mixed feelings about Moore booming. I guess I always liked the smaller-suburb appeal.

Patrick
05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
My wife and I went to Crossroads several months ago at night. At the west exit, the police was called in because some guy was making a drug deal......well, the purchaser decided to take the drugs and run. The seller ran him down, and started beating him up. It ended with the police arresting both of them.

Karried
05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
What are the teenagers suppused to do for fun? I remember when I was a teenager here in OKC we didn't have anything to do but cruise 39th street. We did not have the big multi-plex movie theaters back then so when we went to a movie we usually just cruised around and looked for something to do until curfew. I concede that the kids hanging at the mall is a nuisance but there needs to be an alternative. The kids to think that there are options in OKC or they will want to get out of here and go somewhere fun when they graduate. I have two teenagers in high school now and am truly looking for suggestions of what they can do on a weekend night besides staying at home and not get into trouble and not be a nuisance to the public

I think it is fine for teenagers to go to the movies and hang out at the mall.. I have one myself.

What's not fine is the kids whose parents don't care and who get in trouble because they have no consequences. These are the kids who shoplift, run through the mall yelling.. act crazy and give all the others a bad name.

They ruin it for the rest of the teens who go to watch a movie and have fun.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I think it is fine for teenagers to go to the movies and hang out at the mall.. I have one myself.

What's not fine is the kids whose parents don't care and who get in trouble because they have no consequences. These are the kids who shoplift, run through the mall yelling.. act crazy and give all the others a bad name.

They ruin it for the rest of the teens who go to watch a movie and have fun.

That is because you have taught your kids kids how to behave in public. Your kids are well aware that trouble will be waiting at home if they cause problems.

I had to return a shirt over the weekend that I purchased at a store in Penn Square to Crossroads (I live in Moore, work in Capitol area). I didn't want to drive all the way to Penn or Quail, so I went into Crossroads. It was the first time I'd been in there since 2005 (I lived in NYC for awhile). It was HORRIBLE how much it had declined. I was shocked--at noon on a Saturday! So I was talking to the clerk at the store, and I mentioned that the store was larger and I'd take a look around since I'm rarely in Crossroads.

I quote:

Clerk: "Well, I don't blame you for not coming to Crossroads! I wouldn't come here if I didn't have to..if I didn't work here."
Me: "Really? That bad?"
Clerk: "Yeah, it's ok as long as you don't have to be here after 4:00 p.m."

Wow. That says more than anything.

I have mixed feelings about Moore booming. I guess I always liked the smaller-suburb appeal.

If it is bad after 4pm, just wait a couple of weeks when school is out. The it will be bad all day,

Patrick
05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Man, you guys weren't kidding. The ship is sinking.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/crossroads1.JPG

Karried
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
That is because you have taught your kids kids how to behave in public. Your kids are well aware that trouble will be waiting at home if they cause problems.

That is so true. But it's also true that my son who just turned 14 last week has never been to the mall alone... recently he met up with friends and I informed him I would be in the same mall shopping... ( not spying, thank you very much) but close enough to ensure that he wouldn't get into trouble.

I hate 11 and 12 year olds running around the mall at 10:00 pm - alone, unsupervised ... what kind of parent would allow that?

Patrick
05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I hate 11 and 12 year olds running around the mall at 10:00 pm - alone, unsupervised ... what kind of parent would allow that?

More than you know.

CMSturgeon
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I feel like there is something, some detail, all of you have left out about the people that hang out at Crossroads mall and are ruining it..... but I just can't figure out what it is.

Millie
05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I feel like there is something, some detail, all of you have left out about the people that hang out at Crossroads mall and are ruining it..... but I just can't figure out what it is.

:lol2:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
05-11-2007, 02:00 AM

Yes, but nobody wants to call out people that sell cell phone accessories.

bdub02
06-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Anybody know if the new owners of the mall plan on any kind of renovations? With all the growth in south OKC, I have a hard time believing that they cannot support a better mall thats on the level of Quail Springs. I don't remember a time when crossroads was the best mall in town, but I remember a time when it was much busier than it is today and provided a decent and safe shopping environment. Its sad to see how it is slowly rotting away. From what I heard about Penn Square's history, if they can turn it around and become what they have, why can't crossroads?

soonerliberal
06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
My guess for the reasons why is:

- Poor leadership of the managing companies.
- Poor close surrounding demographics.
- Poor investments and lousy investments in the mall.
- Poor use of excuses for lackluster performance (I-35).
- Poor development of immediate surrounding areas.
- Allowing competing areas to dominate without being even close to being competitive (Moore, MWC, Norman).

SWOKC 4 me
06-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I definately agree that south OKC can support a mall even one the size of Crossroads. I have heard all of the arguments that they lost many of their customers from norman and beyond (south) because Sooner Mall has become a decent mall now. But you cannot tell me that there is not enough of a customer base in South OKC alone.

I for one of late have been driving to Penn Square because of the higher quality stores. However if Crossroads would just recruit some decent retailers then I wouldn't think of driving across the city to go to the mall. I believe with a complete overhaul that Crossroads can recruit the same type of stores seen in Penn or Quail. Crossroads is still in an outstanding location with the interstates crossing right in front of it. Maybe I am biased being a lifetime southsider but I see absolutely no reason why it cannot be one of the city's crown jewels as far as malls go. I do realize however that it needs a *LOT* of $$$ put into it!

I think if they would do a complete rennovation of the mall it would also give a much needed boost to the immediate area around the mall.

By the way I do remember going to Crossroads when I was a kid at Christmastime (yes it was still called Christmas back then :wink: ) and my parents having to park way out in areas of the parking lot that have now not been in use for years! I can definately see this happening again with some investment. I just hope it happens! I would hate to see it go the way of Heritage Park Mall. :ohno:

john60
06-24-2007, 11:01 PM
I would be willing to bet that as UNP grows in north Norman, and stores begin popping up in between 240 and Norman (like the new JC Penney, the new theatre, etc...), Crossroads will begin to die even more. I think people will be drawn to UNP over Crossroads, even if it means driving a little further.

BG918
06-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Unless it's someday turned into a mixed-use center with adjacent retail and residential components, I don't see any other way of saving Crossroads. I personally like my idea of adding a commuter rail stop there (the tracks run right by it on the east) and making it a TOD, hopefully the transit planners see that potential as well...

SuperScooper
06-25-2007, 12:29 AM
I was driving by Crossroads on I-35 the other day. I could have misread the Crossraods Marquee but, I could of sworn it read Crossroads Mini-Mart now open.

Has anyone else seen this?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-25-2007, 12:31 AM
I still go there on occasion during the day...Where there's a different kind of danger than there is in the evenings.

During the day, you better look left, right, and back left before exiting B. Dalton's...Else you get T-boned by the mall-walkers. They're everywhere!And don't kid yourself, they're every bit as inconsiderate and rude with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement as the evening crowd is. The only difference is they don't pack heat. Seriously...I've always respected my elders (everybody else too for that matter)...But some of those folks take the cake. Sorry Mildred, you don't have the right-of-way just because you're old and have your "go-fasters" on, you need to look out for me just as much as I look out for you.

/rant

SuperScooper
06-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I still go there on occasion during the day...Where there's a different kind of danger than there is in the evenings.

During the day, you better look left, right, and back left before exiting B. Dalton's...Else you get T-boned by the mall-walkers. They're everywhere!And don't kid yourself, they're every bit as inconsiderate and rude with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement as the evening crowd is. The only difference is they don't pack heat. Seriously...I've always respected my elders (everybody else too for that matter)...But some of those folks take the cake. Sorry Mildred, you don't have the right-of-way just because you're old and have your "go-fasters" on, you need to look out for me just as much as I look out for you.

/rant

It could be worse they could be racing around the mall on hoverounds. I think that would be kind of funny.

Remember that episods of Seinfeld where all the old farts are chasing George on his Rascal? I think of that every time I see that stupid hoveround commerical.

http://www.hoveround.com/images/product_forerunner.jpg

rugbybrado
06-25-2007, 06:55 AM
I live in the Westmoore area and drive to Norman for work every morning, I think the development(new JCP's and other stores along i-35) are going to be the nail in the coffin for the cross roads mall.

I do agree that with alot of money invested it could easily rival the other malls. Its not even that bad now, but after the shooting people have a negitive idea about the mall and the area and its going to take alot to loose it.

I just hate seeing empty malls and shopping areas, but with JCP moving out of the store i think the rest of the mall will begin to follow.

SoonerDave
06-25-2007, 07:22 AM
The question is whether the new owners are too late to rehab the mall.

Malls, at least those like Crossroads, are not very "hot" properties right now. I agree completely that earlier management just ruined Crossroads. I had heard that during the relative "boom" years for Crossroads there were competing factions that owned equal shares of Crossroads, and for spite took turns opposing each other's efforts to keep the mall current. As a result, nothing got done and the mall has fallen down a bit of a pit.

Penny's departure will only worsen the situation; however, I have to believe that the new owners will try to get Sears @ SW 44th and Western to move into that space. Supposedly, Sears tried to move into the former Ward's space, but couldn't due to legal entanglements with the lease (which, I believe, was actually owned by Ward's and tied up in bankruptcy litigation).

It's pretty bad when you have to look to Sears as a possible new anchor (because frankly I don't think Sears will be around in ten more years), but that's where Crossroads is right now. Things outside of Crossroads' control, such as the deterioration of the region surrounding the mall, really hurt their chances to bring the place back to life. It's really sad, because I remember when it was new and incredibly cool.

Do I think its hopeless? I may be foolish, but no, I still think there's hope. It's gonna take some work; the new owners need to figure out how to buy that abandoned Burger King on the northwest corner of the area and have it torn down; it's an increasing site of filth if not outright residence for vagrants. The movie theater, hotels, and BestBuy along the southern perimeter seem to do very well, so you still have the ability to draw traffic into the area. Rehab the interior, polish up that northern corridor, and solidify the tenant base would at least be a start to getting the mall breathing again...

Sorry for going on so long... :)

-soonerdave

soonerliberal
06-25-2007, 07:56 AM
I have to agree with SoonerDave on this one. An investment not only in the mall itself, but in the perimeter surrounding the mall would be necessary to ensure its continued survival. Best Buy, the hotels, and the AMC theatre are fine for now, but the shopping center directly to the north of Best Buy looks ran down along with the Ramada Inn? and the various fast food eateries in the area. The newer areas around Toys R Us are a little better, but aren't they fairly vacant? There are still countless empty areas in the area around the mall.

Sadly, I think they need some big box stores to come to the perimeter area to help revitalize it. The problem naturally is that the demographics of the area make it difficult to recruit any national chain. Additionally with the buildup of Moore and I-240 as a Big Box haven, what is left? I suppose we always can hope for a Barnes and Noble... wishful thinking.

SoonerDave
06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
lib,

Take heart on the Barnes and Noble. I've heard they are at least looking at far SW OKC for a new location. Don't know any more than that, but at least we're a blip on the radar :)

-sd

flintysooner
06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Might be better to hope for some retail concept that is more likely to survive than B&N.

rugbybrado
06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Might be better to hope for some retail concept that is more likely to survive than B&N.

I dont see some peoples obsession with BN, its the walmart of bookstores.

Its not the epi-center of cultural awareness that alot of oklahomans make it out to be. :bright_id

bombermwc
06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
I actually prefer Books-A-Million myself. B&N is always more expensive than it's worth...plus you always have to order your stuff.

soonerliberal
06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Frankly, I would take a Barnes and Noble, Borders, or Books-a-Million.. just a bookstore that is not Walden's.

redland
06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Compared to the halcyon days after it first opened, Crossroads today is a sad sight indeed. Sooner Mall in Norman and the Mall in Shawnee have choked off the mall's trade area to the south and east, and the boom in retail along I-35 in Moore is only exacerbating the situation.
My biggest concern now is that Macy's will soon pull out. The few times I've been there recently it has resembled a tomb, a stark contrast to the bustling stores at Penn Square and Quail Springs. If they should call it quits, that, along with the departure of Penny's, would seal the fate of Crossroads.
Unfortunately the demographics of southeast OKC are just not what you look for when opening any kind of quality retail. In the early days this was overcome by the now absent trade area to the south and east. In hindsight, it is too bad Crossroads was not built in southwest OKC, an area ripe for new retail. I'm hoping for some kind of revival of Crossroads, but I am not optimistic.

SoonerDave
06-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I went to Books-a-Million and found it to be a disorganized mess. The few books we bought for the kids on our one visit there were apparently publisher rejects, with chunks of pages missing - and not just for one or two books, either.

I would liken Books a Million to WalMart moreso Barnes and Noble. And I don't recall anyone here saying it was a "epicenter of cultural awareness." As far as a "more enduring" retail concept, sure seems to me B&N is going to be around a while. Even though they posted a loss for their most recent quarter, they beat their own estimates by at least a nickel, on $1.15B in revenue, with same-store sales to be slightly up over the coming months. Excepting for a one-time charge related to the cost of shutttering their Internet distribution, they'd have actually reported earnings of 10 cents a share.

Doesn't sound like an "unenduring" retail model to me, but what do I know :)

The point is that B&N would be a more than welcome presence in our neck of the woods, in far SW OKC.

-soonerdave