View Full Version : Crossroads Mall

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

SoonerDave
12-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Crossroads faces the same chicken-and-egg problem it has for years - it has lesser quality merchandise/selections, and no one will upgrade that until a higher $$ demographic starts coming in - but the higher $$ demographic won't come in until they upgrade the merchandise. And this overblown perception that Crossroads is a gansta tenament doesn't help the draw.

The article in the DOK the other day makes it clear the current owners plan to let the mall all-but rot in place, which is pathetic. The perceptions which are only partially true now will become self-fulfilling prophesies if nothing is done.

Crossroads needs an organized food court, and a complete internal facelift (including ANYTHING to get rid of those 1970's gray-only concrete floors). The sad part about it is that I was told by someone who's family ran a store there years ago said that food court plans were in place YEARS ago, but ownership feuds over control of the property prevented them from ever being implemented. I think the playground and carousel pretty much eliminated that center court from becoming a food plaze.

It's fairly apparent that they've at least tried to steer most of the eateries to a common area near along the lower south corridor - Taco Mayo, Orange Julius, Sonic, Subway, Chik-fil-A. Sbarro's is still across the center court, and Auntie Anne's Pretzels are on the 2nd floor. But it's at least an effort in the right direction.

I have to believe JC Penny will be closing upon completion of the two new regional centers going in on I-35 in Moore and on SE 29th in MWC. That would give Sears a chance to get out of their horrible location at SW 44th and Western - and, yes, moving to the Crossroads area would be an upgrade. They might even refresh the auto center that's languished for years in the NW corner of that property.

That would keep three anchor tenants, and I'll just hope Steve and Barry's goes away. *One* neat outparcel retail shop in that area would be a great lynchpin - such as a Barnes and Noble, combined with an internal facelift, would give Crossroads a great shot in the arm.

-David

BailJumper
12-19-2006, 09:31 AM
God, speaking of Barnes and Noble - I would be forever grateful if a bookstore (prefer Borders) would move South. Crossroads would be great (in the parking lot) or north of TAFB by the new Target and Lowes.

I guess they figure nobody reads on the southside!

soonerliberal
12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
It is amazing what a little facelift can do to a property. Externally, Crossroads isn't that bad looking. Maybe change the signs and the entrances a bit to update the place but the old mall brick works for the place.

However, internally a lot needs to be done. Yes, an organized food court would be nice, but you know what would be nicer? Tiled floors. Tiling the place would first lighten it up quite a bit and second make it look a lot better than the generic concrete they have right now. Then the mall needs new railing. I am not an interior designer by any means, but prison railing probably needs to go. Finally, something needs to be done with the gawdy ceiling. No wonder birds love hanging out in the mall! South Oklahoma City has the demographics to sustain Crossroads, and frankly there are a lot of us who do not really care for driving up to Penn Square or down to Norman to shop, but right now it is necessary.

It really disturbs me that the management there is willing to allow the mall to crumble and become the replacement for Old Paris.

jbrown84
12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
It truly does need a major overhaul. You are right about the tile. When Quail put in the off white tile to replace all that brown crap, and put in more skylights, it helped brighten the place so much. It was a major improvement.

SoonerDave
12-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Agree completely on the floor issue - I'd make it priority. It would do so much to lighten the place up.

BailJumper, I'm right there with you on the issue of bookstores on the southside. Borders, B&N, I don't really care, I just wish one of them would build on our side of town. Considering that B&N has *two* within just a few minutes drive of each other on N. May, the conspicuous absence of one on the southside just oozes the notion that no one buys books "down there."

I emailed someone with the S OKC Chamber of Commerce about it, and they said they had approached B&N several times, but they weren't interested. If they took an honest look at the demographics around SW OKC focusing on a region centered at (approximately) SW 104th and Penn, they'd realize they're missing on one of the highest income-per-capita regions in the state. Sadly, it's much easier to believe the conventional wisdom that everyone south of Reno is an ignorant, gang-banging, illiterate rube.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I'll get off my soapbox, but that particular issue is a real sore spot with me, and I'd personally like to see the S. OKC Chamber become a bit more aggressive in general, but that's another issue.

-SoonerDave

traxx
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
People keep mentioning two things when it comes to Crossroads: Gold Mine and Update. That seems to be the key issue; it hasn't been updated since there was a Gold Mine video arcade there in the mid to late '70s. It seems obvious that the owners won't do anything and it will eventually be leveled in the next ten years.

jbrown84
12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
It is crazy that there's not one bookstore south of NW Expressway.

You've got Full Circle, Borders, Barnes & Noble x2, and Books-a-Million on the north side, and that's really all just the NW side.

Martin
12-19-2006, 12:58 PM
sure there are book stores south of nw expressway... in norman. :P -M

mranderson
12-19-2006, 01:11 PM
It truly does need a major overhaul. You are right about the tile. When Quail put in the off white tile to replace all that brown crap, and put in more skylights, it helped brighten the place so much. It was a major improvement.

Crossroads also needs to get rid of all the gang bangers that scare the honest shoppers. And, do not give me that "they can sue them" crap. Crossroads is private property. They reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

fsusurfer
12-19-2006, 01:18 PM
The last time I went to crossroads mall, which was over the summer, there was some sort of rap competition going on in the middle of the mall. It was the biggest bunch of racket I've ever heard, and people were hooting and holaring in the middle of the mall like it was a concert. I then suddenly recalled why I don't set foot in that place and got the hell out. If the mall promotes that kind of activity then the managment has settled with being a 3rd rate shopping mall that upper-class shoppers with money wont ever set foot in.

Easy180
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Crossroads also needs to get rid of all the gang bangers that scare the honest shoppers. And, do not give me that "they can sue them" crap. Crossroads is private property. They reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

I see just as many thugs at Penn Square...Place to be for the young, hip and unemployed to wear their hats sideways

SoonerDave
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Gold Mine video arcade there in the mid to late '70s

Crossroads Mall opened in 1974 with the "LeMans Speedway" arcade and bumpercar rink. The bumpercars shut down in the late 70's early 80's, and in fact the whole arcade was shuttered for a time, but then the space was remodeled and reopened as the LeMans once again in its present form several years ago, with the bumpercar area gone and replaced with more plain floor/game space.

I don't remember the Gold Mine arcade, or any other arcade being in Crossroads...

If I were a gambler, I'd say Heritage Park would be bulldozed before Crossroads...but ten years is too far down the road to predict anything...imho.

-SoonerDave

mranderson
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I see just as many thugs at Penn Square...Place to be for the young, hip and unemployed to wear their hats sideways

You must be full of yourself then. I see very few gang bangers at Penn Square and nearly nothing but gang bangers at Crossroads. Even a lot of the old time merchants will agree with me on that one.

Lauri101
12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
God, speaking of Barnes and Noble - I would be forever grateful if a bookstore (prefer Borders) would move South. Crossroads would be great (in the parking lot) or north of TAFB by the new Target and Lowes.

I guess they figure nobody reads on the southside!

Amen to that! The good news is - from what I understand, there will be a large national bookstore chain with a location in the new Midwest City SE 29th Street development. Since that area is 3 blocks from my house, I can't wait!

traxx
12-19-2006, 03:33 PM

True Dat

mranderson
12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
I have said this before and will again. The best thing to do is to blow Crossroads sky high (after closing it, of course) and build a prison. Most of the "shoppers" (more like Christmas shopLIFTERS) would feel right at home.

The mall is a dump now anyway. And, by the way. Before you say "don't shop there then" I do not. I shop at Quail mostly... Very few gang bangers.

BailJumper
12-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Anderson subscribes to the theory of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" (favorite line from Myth Busters).

I DO shop at Cross Roads Mall often and only someone very ignorant would describe it as "nothing but gang bangers."

Anderson reminds me of the little old lady that is on every block on her porch in her rocking chair with 50 cats and swears at all the kids as they walk by and proclaims them ALL to be hoodlums and vagrants!

Yes, many kids these days have long hair, baggy clothes and hang out in groups. That doesn't make them gang bangers.

"Blowing up Cross Roads" is the most idiotic thing I have heard. It is in a good location. It simply suffers from management/owner neglect. An infusion of serious remodeling dolllars, marketing and new blood tenants is what is needed - or, you know, that stellar prison idea works too :fighting2

jbrown84
12-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Certain people tend to exaggerate the state that Crossroads is in.

I see very few gang bangers at Penn Square and nearly nothing but gang bangers at Crossroads. Even a lot of the old time merchants will agree with me on that one.

mranderson
12-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Anderson subscribes to the theory of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" (favorite line from Myth Busters).

I DO shop at Cross Roads Mall often and only someone very ignorant would describe it as "nothing but gang bangers."

Anderson reminds me of the little old lady that is on every block on her porch in her rocking chair with 50 cats and swears at all the kids as they walk by and proclaims them ALL to be hoodlums and vagrants!

Yes, many kids these days have long hair, baggy clothes and hang out in groups. That doesn't make them gang bangers.

"Blowing up Cross Roads" is the most idiotic thing I have heard. It is in a good location. It simply suffers from management/owner neglect. An infusion of serious remodeling dolllars, marketing and new blood tenants is what is needed - or, you know, that stellar prison idea works too :fighting2

LISTEN BAILJUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!! I WORKED AT THAT CRAP HOLE FOR YEARS AND CAN TELL YOU I AM NOT, REPEAT NOT IGNORANT. THERE ARE NEARLY NOTHING, REPEAT, NOTHING BUT GANG BANGERS THERE. THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL BE CONVINCED IS WHEN ONE OF THOSE CRIMINALS RIDDLES YOUR CAR WITH THEIR AK47. JUST DO NOT COME CRYING TO ME. YOU WILL GET AN "I TOLD YOU SO." WHY NOT JUST ACCEPT THE FACT I KNOW THAT MALL AND END IT. I AM NOT STUPID LIKE YOU PEOPLE THINK I AM.

BailJumper
12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I set them up and Anderson bowls them down.

Well, ANDERSON at least you are VERY predictable. I should never have questioned a seasoned mall walker such as yourself!

Martin
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
i laughed until i cried. seriously. this thread delivers. -M

SoonerDave
12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
mranderson,

I don't know what your problem is, but your hysterical misrepresentation of Crossroads does not one positive thing for your own credibility or the value of the discussion in this thread. But it is an archetypal demonstration of the perception problem Crossroads has to overcome. People like you make a bad situation worse.

You know the irony of this discussion? Take a guess at the location of what I recall as one of if not the first gang-bang shooting at a mall -- Crossroads, right Mr. Anderson? Nope -- precious, hip, too-cool-for-the-room Penn Square.

If you think gang-bangers aren't everywhere, not just where you're predisposed to believe they are, you're fooling yourself. And here's a clue - not every non-caucasian kid who wears a ballcap sideways is a gangbanger.

Maybe you, or someone close to you, was a vicitim of some sort at Crossroads; it would surely taint anyone's opinion of an area and explain your myopia about it. That's understandable; otherwsie, the hysterical nonsense about the AK-47's, quite frankly, makes you look foolish.

This isn't to say Crossroads doesn't have its problems, and gangbangers among them. But this notion of "blowing it up and building a prison" is idiotic.

-SoonerDave

Easy180
12-19-2006, 09:09 PM
mranderson...was just at crossroads on sunday and I didn't see anyone with ak47's...True there are more lower income shoppers there than at Penn and Quail, but I guarantee you there are just as many young punks hanging out at the nicer malls

As for Crossroads...Not sure if it's an age thing, but just because there are young black and hispanic guys walking by you doesn't necessarily mean they are thugs or gang members

My guess is they live around the mall and do their shopping there since it's close...Crazy notion I know

JOHNINSOKC
12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
On the subject of bookstores and the lack thereof in the south metro, I've noticed that they turned the old Just For Feet store on Memorial into a Books A Million, but they have yet to lease the same empty store in Norman. Of course, there is Borders and B & N right behind that area, but I see it as good competition. I think the national chains are looking at the south OKC total population instead of the entire south metro which includes Moore(50,000+) and Norman(110,000+). Cleveland County is the fastest growing in the state in terms of real population growth and a lot of the income increases are coming out of the south metro area. I mean, how can we be building high-end executive homes around here with people buying them up like there's no tomorrow, but we can't seem to land a decent bookstore?? Doesn't make sense. If my memory serves me correctly, the area of south OKC which encompasses the 73170 zip code is the second wealthiest in the state. I think the OKC Chamber should take care of marketing this area and we should just do away with the south chamber. Eventually, the south metro will be known as the most booming area of OKC.

jbrown84
12-19-2006, 11:30 PM
On the subject of bookstores and the lack thereof in the south metro, I've noticed that they turned the old Just For Feet store on Memorial into a Books A Million, but they have yet to lease the same empty store in Norman. Of course, there is Borders and B & N right behind that area, but I see it as good competition.

True. Unfortunately the Books-a-Million doesn't compete very well with B&N. The prices seem comprable and the atmosphere pretty close with B-a-M less ornate, but it has the coffee shop.

I like to patronize Books-a-Million. Help out the underdog. Wouldn't want Barnes & Noble to become the Walmart of bookstores.

Karried
12-20-2006, 08:13 AM
This is off topic a bit.. but I'm not seeing that 73170 is the second wealthiest in the state .. where are you finding those stats?

I was curious about the bookstores.. I never knew there weren't any in the area. The incomes are very close but there are some differences but really not that many.

For instance, zip code 73034 in Edmond has a median home value of $167,860.00 and 30% of the population has a 4 year college degree and 18% have a graduate degree. Elementary test scores 93% Math, 91% Reading.

Compared to 73170 in Moore has a median home value of $132,560.00 with 20% having a 4 year college degree and 9% have a graduate degree.
Elementary test scores 84% Math, 88% Reading.

So, maybe in doing the demographic search they looked at other things than just the income?

I'm finding the way they track it confusing anyway... for instance, more high income earners file detailed tax returns with many, many deductibles and business expenses (write offs) ... so the net income is reflected as much lower than the income actually is.. do they track the gross or net?

JOHNINSOKC
12-20-2006, 08:48 AM
The median income figures have been stated a few times on this board in the past. I may be mistaken as far as the rank of 73170. I believe it is the third wealthiest behind the one you stated in Edmond and, of course, Nichols Hills.

Easy180
12-20-2006, 09:36 AM
karried.....Think it's just income not wealth

Published: August 21, 2005 12:30 am

Committee hears presentation on Moore vs. Norman's
demographics

The Norman Transcript
By Carol Cole
Transcript Staff Writer

Moore has outstripped Norman in many of the key demographics retailers want
when they consider where to locate, members of the Norman Citizens Tax Increment
Finance Committee heard last week.

Fleske quoted numbers from a 2004 database used by commercial real estate industry, found
on STDBOnline.com, which factors U.S. Census and other data.
"Moore is not just Moore. It is south Oklahoma City and even many parts north Norman.
The density of development that's occurring up north is a lot higher than it is here," Fleske
said.

And Fleske pointed at that Moore's zip code 73170 off SH 37 is the highest income per capita
zip code in the Oklahoma City metro, higher than Nichols Hills and Gaillardia.

SoonerDave
12-21-2006, 07:44 AM
A common misconception, perpetuated in that article, is that 73170 is a "Moore" zip code, and that's flatly wrong. It also includes a large portion of SW Oklahoma City. I have corrected people at mail order houses and other outlets that incorrectly assume the 73170 is a Moore zip code.

The Oklahoman ran a piece in their business section just a few years ago giving considerable details regarding this specific part of south Oklahoma City, highlighting the income per capita and some of the misconceptions that still exist.

As even some of the responses in this thread show, there's a long, uphill battle in overcoming multiple years of misunderstood or improperly assumed information about SW Okahoma City.

-SoonerDave

traxx
12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
LISTEN BAILJUMPER!!!!!!!!!!!! I WORKED AT THAT CRAP HOLE FOR YEARS AND CAN TELL YOU I AM NOT, REPEAT NOT IGNORANT. THERE ARE NEARLY NOTHING, REPEAT, NOTHING BUT GANG BANGERS THERE. THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL BE CONVINCED IS WHEN ONE OF THOSE CRIMINALS RIDDLES YOUR CAR WITH THEIR AK47. JUST DO NOT COME CRYING TO ME. YOU WILL GET AN "I TOLD YOU SO." WHY NOT JUST ACCEPT THE FACT I KNOW THAT MALL AND END IT. I AM NOT STUPID LIKE YOU PEOPLE THINK I AM.

Wow. Just wow. :sofa:

Swake2
12-21-2006, 03:51 PM
here is a site where you can query zip codes and income

Here (http://How to Enable Cookies)

73170 has an average adjusted gross income for 2004 of 59,761
73034 has an average adjusted gross income for 2004 of 70,344

But these are hardly the highest in the state,

Midtown Tulsa
74114 has an average adjusted gross income for 2004 of 108,299
And the grandaddy of them all that I could find, in South Tulsa
74137 has an average adjusted gross income for 2004 of 118,714

writerranger
12-21-2006, 07:22 PM
True. Unfortunately the Books-a-Million doesn't compete very well with B&N. The prices seem comprable and the atmosphere pretty close with B-a-M less ornate, but it has the coffee shop.

I like to patronize Books-a-Million. Help out the underdog. Wouldn't want Barnes & Noble to become the Walmart of bookstores.

Yeah. I agree with you, JBrown. Plus, Books-A-Million actually carries more titles than B&N. It's just that they may carry one copy of a low-selling title, but it would be a special order at B&N. It's their business model and I kind of like that. It can mean browsing for hours though. And I'm with 'ya on helping the underdog.

As for book stores south.....did Walden Books close their Crossroads location? Maybe I missed it in the thread.

----------------

Easy180
12-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure waldenbooks is still open in crossroads

Karried
01-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Crossroads Mall sold to investors

By The Associated Press

Arkansas investors have purchased three malls, including Crossroads Mall in Oklahoma City.

Midwest Mall Properties, formed by Doyle Rogers, John Flake and Sam Mathias, has also purchased Citadel Mall in Colorado Springs, Colo., and Northwest Arkansas Mall in Fayetteville, the company announced Tuesday.
The purchase price was in the $400 million range, Midwest Mall said.
"We view this as a tremendous investment opportunity," Rogers said. "These are all class A properties, each 90 percent or more leased.
"All three are anchored by nationally renowned retailers and are in fast booming population centers. Each mall is in excellent condition and each has maximum potential for continued success."
Crossroads Mall, the largest of the malls purchased by Midwest Mall Properties, is near the intersection of Interstate 35 and I-240. The 1.2 million-square-foot mall sits on 46 acres and is anchored by Macy's, Dillard's and J.C. Penney department stores.

metro
01-02-2007, 11:41 AM
That's good news. I hope they turn it around. Too bad Simon Properties didn't buy it.

Jack Wonder
01-02-2007, 11:44 AM
It's the outside/surrounding area that really needs retooling.

There location is literally "on the wrong side of the railroad tracks."

oumoodman85
01-02-2007, 12:47 PM
It's the outside/surrounding area that really needs retooling.

There location is literally "on the wrong side of the railroad tracks."

Give me a physical break. Another case of ignorance and plain pretentiousness.

Yes, south/southeast OKC is in need of major improvements. But there have been some substantial retail developments along I-240 lately, and Moore continues to grow and develop.

My point being, Crossroads mall can/should be saved. Was it not once hailed as "the largest and most impressive mall of the southwest" by the Oklahoman (albeit in the 1970's)?

With the right ownership and the right business plan, the mall can be saved. Do us all a favor and spare us the usual/typical/redundant "south OKC is nothing but white trash/minorities" speech.

metro
01-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'm not a southsider but oumoodman is right, it's on a major N/S US corridor experiencing rapid growth. The mall's management was it's biggest detractor. Although I'll probably never go to the mall, I hope they get a clean slate.

jbrown84
01-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Macerich did virtually nothing with that mall for over ten years. Anybody can do better than that. Hopefully this smaller, more local company will actually do something with it.

oumoodman85
01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
As for the other malls this group purchased, I am only familiar with Northwest Arkansas Mall, and it is quite impressive. It is similar to Penn Square as far as retailers and overall appearance. So maybe this ownership group will put Crossroads on a similar path--or at least aim for such on down the line.

writerranger
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree with the others about the location. Crossroads, while close to some downtrodden neighborhoods, is also very near some of the nicest areas of the city. I hope the new buyers can turn it around -- there's certainly lots of potential.

-------------------

jbrown84
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I agree with the others about the location. Crossroads, while close to some downtrodden neighborhoods, is also very near some of the nicest areas of the city. I hope the new buyers can turn it around -- there's certainly lots of potential.

-------------------

Good point. In reality, Penn Square is very near some of OKC's nicest neighborhoods in Nichols Hills, but the area to the immediate south is not nearly as nice, and if you go a mile south, the area deteriorates more. Some of the worst neighborhoods I have seen were around 30th between Penn and May. Already small houses in terrible condition. So obviously there is potential for Crossroads to rise out of the doldrums. This is a turning point for sure.

auntiec
01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I hope these investors can really turn Crossroads around. Being from a small town with no malls within an hour, being able to go to Crossroads when I was little was a real treat!

Patrick
01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Looks like we may be facing one problem, and I hope this changes. Macerich said they'll still be managing the property as long as the owners desire their presence. Personally, I hope the new owners dump the management group, and manage the mall themselves. Macerich let Crossroads mall slide from one of the nicer malls in the city to one of the worst.

Crossroads is close to Valley Brook and other poorer areas, but as others have stated, many of the cities richest areas are far south. I might be mistaken, but isn't one of the city's wealthiest zip codes down south?

Crossroads Mall has location, location, and location. They have I-240 and I-35 pushing thousands of motorists by the mall everyday. Quail Springs only wishes it had such a location, being that it can only be accessed via a turnpike or city streets.

metro
01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I saw that in yesterday's Daily Disappointment (speaking of its getting worse by the day, the business section was 2 pages in the sports section yesterday). Looks like Macerich will still be managing the mall. :(

Pete
01-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if keeping Macerich on as managers is only a short-term strategy.

I would be very surprised if the new investment group didn't have renovation/upgrade plans in the works because one visit would tell you that that mall is losing ground to other developments.

BailJumper
01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I would agree that making public statements about keeping the current management are only to ensure a smooth transition. The new owners will want to shake things up to give people a reason to come back to Crossroads (hey that could be their slogan). You can only achieve that with new management and an influx of dollars.

metro
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I too agree, it is to smooth out the transaction. I just hope that it's not part of their long term plans as well.

Patrick
01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd be very surprised if the new management group released existing employees though. When Simon bought Penn Square they retained the original staff from Urban Retail Inc.

The management is THE problem at Crossroads. You have people running the place that are completely clueless about the reasons behind the decay of the mall.

Christi Parks (I believe that's her name) places much of the blame on highway construction. The REAL reason, as well all know, is poor management, and lack of a vision for the mall.

Karried
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Simon Properties are so stringent about who leases space and work done in their malls ..makes for very nice quality control but wow, are they strict!

I think part of Crossroads Mall problem is the reputation ... it is sad that once rumors get started about a certain location it's hard to shake it.

I've only been once so I can't comment at all. But I was talking to a stylist yesterday and we were talking about the mall being sold and the possiblility of opening a salon there since it was sold.. and these were her words, not mine.. " No way, I'm afraid to even walk in that mall alone.. I drive to Penn" and she lives in Moore! So, I thought that was interesting given that we have been discussing the mall lately.

I think if they did some nice marketing work and some promotions with plenty of safe, family oriented activities to get people to come back, and it all goes without a hitch, it might help the negative image that some people have of the mall.

Speaking of malls, I walked an hour this morning at Quail .. that was pretty cool.. climate controlled, stores were closed but I could still window shop at a brisk pace and it made the time fly by.. there were plenty of people trucking around the perimeter..

I thought it was a great way to get in an hour of exercise when you're not in the mood for the gym.. which I wasn't and seldom am!

SoonerDave
01-06-2007, 09:42 PM
No way, I'm afraid to even walk in that mall alone.

It is absolutely pathetic that this perception persists around Crossroads.

I will not for a second pretend that the Crossroads area hasn't had its problems, particularly with teenagers mostly congreating and socializing and not shopping - but I've also heard those are problems at virtually every mall in town. Sadly, you'll have a few people with a bad experience or anecdotal story mutate a few times and you'll think WW III is waged in the corridors of Crossroads each and every day. It just isn't true. Sadly, there are some on this board who have tried to perpetuate this notion.

I can't change people's perceptions, but all I can do is relay my personal experience, which is all good. In fact, my wife and son just got back from Crossroads a few minutes ago (around 9pm on a Saturday), and neither of them have ANY gunshot wounds!! Zounds!

I think new ownership at Crossroads can be nothing but a good thing, and I hope that once the dust settles the new owners will give Macerich their well-deserved kick in the assets.

-SoonerDave

bombermwc
01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
That perception about not being safe is a load of BS. There is no reason to not feel safe while shopping there...not any more of a reason than any other mall. I've been there recently and gone for years and there is nothing wrong with the place. It's far less crowded than Penn or Quail (with much better close parking), so you don't have to fight the crowds all the time. If you think there is a safety problem, then you haven't been or have a tilted idea of safety.

metro
01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I would have to disagree with that statement. Look at the reported incidents of crime at Crossroads and compare the statistics to Penn and Quail, then we can all make an informed decision.

oumoodman85
01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I would have to disagree with that statement. Look at the reported incidents of crime at Crossroads and compare the statistics to Penn and Quail, then we can all make an informed decision.

Actually, the same number of crimes have been recorded within a .25 mile radius of both Quail Springs and Crossroads Malls (23 total crimes for each mall ranging from assualt, theft, etc.).

Only Penn Square has a significantly lower crime history, with 3 crimes reported around the same radius. (Data from NewsOk crimetracker).

BailJumper
01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I agree with bombermwc, I was there AGAIN over the weekend. We shopped the whole mall for about 4 hours and once again felt just as safe as anywhere else.

We even intentionally payed close attention to safety issues. Sure, we saw a few kids wearing clothing that were too 'gansta' for our taste, but they were acting harmless enough and I've seen the same thing at Penn Square. There was plenting of security to be seen and like bombermwc said, parking is awesome and no crowds!

BailJumper
01-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I didn't see the dates that CrimeTracker is using but I remember the jewelry store in Penn being robbed at gun point with people in the mall.

Easy180
01-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I didn't see the dates that CrimeTracker is using but I remember the jewelry store in Penn being robbed at gun point with people in the mall.

Good point bailjumper...Big difference is the armed robbers at Penn Square are much better dressed than the ones at Crossroads...I mean there are people walking around in Crossroads with non brand name clothing and let me tell you that scares the heck out of me :police:

SoonerDave
01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
there are people walking around in Crossroads with non brand name clothing and let me tell you that scares the heck out of me

Now THAT's funny stuff, dude... :)

:LolLolLol

-sd

Patrick
01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Simon Properties are so stringent about who leases space and work done in their malls ..makes for very nice quality control but wow, are they strict!

That's why Penn Square Mall continually gets voted the best mall every year. I think Crossroads needs some quality control.

SoonerDave
01-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Hopefully the new owners have precisely that in mind. I think it's great news.

-SoonerDave