Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 162 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661111 ... LastLast

Thread: New Downtown Arena

Default Re: New Oklahoma City arena development

I'm just happy to report that Orlando is going to try and take the Jags off our hands. That will free up several billion dollars in our local economy. Orlando is offering to spend $800 million in public funds upgrading Camping World Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I'm just happy to report that Orlando is going to try and take the Jags off our hands. That will free up several billion dollars in our local economy. Orlando is offering to spend $800 million in public funds upgrading Camping World Stadium.
    And what will replace the billions they generate for Jacksonville?

link??

i know they want to host during the 2 year jax stadium rebuild ..

orlando is also the back up landing spot if the tampa bay area doesn't build a new baseball stadium .

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Links to the economic benefits for Jville. v. costs that also include lost oppotunity costs?

Lol, wrong.

The Khans and the city of Jacksonville are remodeling Everbank Field, to the tune of something like a billion dollars. It'll become one of the best, if not THE best NFL stadium. They're also remodeling Daily's Place which is basically the home base of All Elite Wrestling and directly attached to Everbank Field. The Khans have a CRAP TON of money invested here.

But guess what? When the stadium starts renovations, the Jaguars can't play there for the 2 years it should take to remodel their stadium. So it's been rumored the Jags would play at The Swamp in Gainesville. But now Orlando has swooped in and wants to renovate Camping World before the Jacksonville renovated Everbank, so that Orlando gets the Jags for the 2 years of renovations. Plus, once Camping World is renovated, Orlando would be able land bigger events and what not there.

That's it. Orlando, nor anyone else is taking the Jags. Orlando just wants to update their dump of a stadium. Camping World is friggin awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Lol, wrong.

The Khans and the city of Jacksonville are remodeling Everbank Field, to the tune of something like a billion dollars. It'll become one of the best, if not THE best NFL stadium. They're also remodeling Daily's Place which is basically the home base of All Elite Wrestling and directly attached to Everbank Field. The Khans have a CRAP TON of money invested here.

But guess what? When the stadium starts renovations, the Jaguars can't play there for the 2 years it should take to remodel their stadium. So it's been rumored the Jags would play at The Swamp in Gainesville. But now Orlando has swooped in and wants to renovate Camping World before the Jacksonville renovated Everbank, so that Orlando gets the Jags for the 2 years of renovations. Plus, once Camping World is renovated, Orlando would be able land bigger events and what not there.

That's it. Orlando, nor anyone else is taking the Jags. Orlando just wants to update their dump of a stadium. Camping World is friggin awful.
    For a guy named JustTheFacts.............oooof

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    For a guy named JustTheFacts.............oooof
    It is a common JustTheFacts L.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Oklahoma City arena development

MAPS 4 plan that includes $111 million for upgrades. Officials are holding back $70 million that could go to a new arena, which would replace the 21-year-old Paycom Center.

Hope to see some actual dollar figures on a new arena with some designs and specs. A good placeholder could get the ball rolling. . .

I would *love* to see you back up this claim with something. If a middling NFL team can provide billions for a medium sized city in the US then that would be an incredible investment that OKC should pursue with reckless abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    I would *love* to see you back up this claim with something. If a middling NFL team can provide billions for a medium sized city in the US then that would be an incredible investment that OKC should pursue with reckless abandon.
    I meant to add a "d" at the end. Generated. I didn't even realize I didn't have that there.

Without the NFL, they would have no need for that stadium. So Jacksonville would have missed out on numerous other events, like the UGA-UF rivalry and large-scale concerts that go there. I did not mean per year. But when you consider what that stadium and the NFL have done since it opened, renovating it on city dime will pay off relatively quickly. I'd guess (without caring enough to look for any financial numbers, just using common sense).

Unless you think sunk costs need to just be "forgiven and forgotten" like they never happened or took place. That stadium and all its benefits have already been paid for. So if you let the team leave, then it's all in vain, and you will have empty asset even more than it already is, with very minimal money ever made using it.

And yes, I am in favor of using city dollars to build a new arena. No hypocrisy on my end.

I meant to add a "d" at the end. Generated. I didn't even realize I didn't have that there.

Without the NFL, they would have no need for that stadium. So Jacksonville would have missed out on numerous other events, like the UGA-UF rivalry and large-scale concerts that go there. I did not mean per year. But when you consider what that stadium and the NFL have done since it opened, renovating it on city dime will pay off relatively quickly. I'd guess (without caring enough to look for any financial numbers, just using common sense).

Unless you think sunk costs need to just be "forgiven and forgotten" like they never happened or took place. That stadium and all its benefits have already been paid for. So if you let the team leave, then it's all in vain, and you will have empty asset even more than it already is, with very minimal money ever made using it.

And yes, I am in favor of using city dollars to build a new arena. No hypocrisy on my end.
    Time and time again these projects prove to be instrumental in developing and maintaining a strong and attractive local economy, particularly in city cores. They have an even greater impact on mid major markets (such as OKC). You either keep up with the times or get left behind. Pretty simple. If you don't want to pay for anything and have a ****ty quality of life just move to memphis or midland lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the new nba teams are going to seattle and vegas .. .this is known
    I know that is the sexy and Bill Simmons take, but it doesn't add up that Las Vegas will get a team. It doesn't fit how the NBA has expanded in the past, nor does it pencil out with population considerations.

I saw the OVG presentation a couple weeks ago about their planned complex on LVB south. Noticed they thought their 20K-ish capacity arena could draw 15 million people a year. That would require 2 sold out shows per day for 365 days a year. It is more than the annual attendance of T-Mobile Arena, Caesars Colosseum, MGM Garden Arena and Bakkt (former Zappos) Theater combined. More than 1/3 of all visitors to Las Vegas per year.

Quote Originally Posted by shai2022 View Post
    Time and time again these projects prove to be instrumental in developing and maintaining a strong and attractive local economy, particularly in city cores. They have an even greater impact on mid major markets (such as OKC). You either keep up with the times or get left behind. Pretty simple. If you don't want to pay for anything and have a ****ty quality of life just move to memphis or midland lol.
    Memphis is a great city. Midland I can agree with. That place is a hellscape.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Memphis is a great city. Midland I can agree with. That place is a hellscape.
    Memphis is fine, just haven't invested in themselves like Nashville/Knoxville has over the last decade or two - and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I know that is the sexy and Bill Simmons take, but it doesn't add up that Las Vegas will get a team. It doesn't fit how the NBA has expanded in the past, nor does it pencil out with population considerations.

I saw the OVG presentation a couple weeks ago about their planned complex on LVB south. Noticed they thought their 20K-ish capacity arena could draw 15 million people a year. That would require 2 sold out shows per day for 365 days a year. It is more than the annual attendance of T-Mobile Arena, Caesars Colosseum, MGM Garden Arena and Bakkt (former Zappos) Theater combined. More than 1/3 of all visitors to Las Vegas per year.
    Seattle and Vegas have been earmarked for expansion it has been an open secret for a while. The Vegas ownership group has over 10 billion in cash on hand. Seattle already has an NBA ready facility and an ownership group that is motivated to bring the NBA back to the city.

Speaking of Nashville and Knoxville, both are building new stadiums.

https://frontofficesports.com/nashvi...ublic-funding/

https://www.knoxvilletn.gov/governme...inment_stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

Except for that lebron wants to bring an NBA team to Las Vegas in a few years when he retires and so that's what will happen.

Memphis is fine, just haven't invested in themselves like Nashville/Knoxville has over the last decade or two - and it shows.
    Memphis has built the FedEx Forum and Autozone Park in the last two decades. They are also building a 10,000 seat soccer specific stadium and putting 200 million in renovations at the liberty bowl (which the city owns.) Not sure what more they could do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    NFL teams by themselves average over half a billion dollars in revenue a year. The 2023 salary cap is $225 million. The payroll for the whole team's organization has to be very close to $250 million a year.

The advertising for a city, especially a smaller city, is huge. 72% of Americans watch live NFL games. The average number of viewers watching an NFL game is 17 million and every game is televised. That's half a billion eyeballs over a season with the city mentioned dozens if not hundreds of times each game. Then all the press coverage on newscasts and sports shows all over the country. Hundreds if not thousands of websites devoted to the NFL. All the talk shows and podcasts about the NFL. The press is endless.

If Oklahoma City could swing an NFL team, that should absolutely happen. I personally think a billion dollars for an NBA arena is a lot, it's doable, but not sure it's really needed with construction being cheaper in Oklahoma. But a couple of billion for an NFL? OKC should sign up for that every day. I'm not sure a certain dude in Arlington, TX would allow it, but Oklahoma City should try.

Or move to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, or Philly. Those cities have or will have state of the art arenas with no tax payer involvement or SLC where the arena had only 18% public funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Or move to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, or Philly. Those cities have or will have state of the art arenas with no tax payer involvement or SLC where the arena had only 18% public funding.
    Would love if OKC could swing a deal like that, but I do think the writing is definitely on the wall re: the public funding of the new arena. They don’t have Holt out there kissing babies and marching at Pride Festivals for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    NFL teams by themselves average over half a billion dollars in revenue a year. The 2023 salary cap is $225 million. The payroll for the whole team's organization has to be very close to $250 million a year.

The advertising for a city, especially a smaller city, is huge. 72% of Americans watch live NFL games. The average number of viewers watching an NFL game is 17 million and every game is televised. That's half a billion eyeballs over a season with the city mentioned dozens if not hundreds of times each game. Then all the press coverage on newscasts and sports shows all over the country. Hundreds if not thousands of websites devoted to the NFL. All the talk shows and podcasts about the NFL. The press is endless.

If Oklahoma City could swing an NFL team, that should absolutely happen. I personally think a billion dollars for an NBA arena is a lot, it's doable, but not sure it's really needed with construction being cheaper in Oklahoma. But a couple of billion for an NFL? OKC should sign up for that every day. I'm not sure a certain dude in Arlington, TX would allow it, but Oklahoma City should try.
    We have no chance at an NFL team, league isn't expanding anytime soon and no one is currently looking to relocate.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Would love if OKC could swing a deal like that, but I do think the writing is definitely on the wall re: the public funding of the new arena. They don’t have Holt out there kissing babies and marching at Pride Festivals for no reason.
    Why invest in buying the cow if the cream and butter are free. In this case the farmer doesn't even ask for feed money, just a selfie or two.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    We have no chance at an NFL team, league isn't expanding anytime soon and no one is currently looking to relocate.
    We could try to sneak the Chiefs to Oklahoma City in the night and hope they don’t notice the city spelling difference.

Blog Entries

Although our city plans on funding a $900 million+ new NBA arena on the PSM site, we should also look at funding an $84 million multipurpose stadium with the $42 million (OKC's share) allocated thru MAPS 4 funds.

Now would be the time to build an 18,500 seat state-of-the-are NBA-NHL arena (PSM site) and a 25,000 seat (expandable) $84 million multipurpose stadium in partnership $42 million--Chickasaw Tribe share near the FAM & OKANA developments.

The stadium could be tailored for soccer, American Football, large outdoor concerts and festivals.

Thread Information