Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Chinese Restaurants in NW OKC?

1. Default Good Chinese Restaurants in NW OKC?

Hi, first post to the OKCTalk forum, woo hoo!

Anyway, do you all have any Chinese food recommendations for OKC and specifically NW OKC?

I've had the Great Wall and PF Changs and did not like. And my girlfriend had Dot Wo Garden and did not like.

Any other Chinese restaurants around that you guys like? I can't seem to find one and I miss Chinese food.

Thanks,

Jason

Default Re: Good Chinese Restaurants in NW OKC?

I like Kang's on 63rd and Ollie. It's pretty good for the price.

I'd suggest you check Urbanspoon to start with. Many in the Asian District (uptown on Urbanspoon) like Lido, Golden Phoenix, and VII Bistro serve Chinese along with Vietnamese. Also, Fung Kitchen is very well respected among the Foodie crowd.

4. Default Re: Good Chinese Restaurants in NW OKC?

Thanks guys, I'll check those out. It's literally been months since I had some good Chinese food… way too long.

5. Default Re: Good Chinese Restaurants in NW OKC?

Thanks guys, I'll check out all those places. It's literally be months to a year since I had some good Chinese food… way too long.

The Szechuan Bistro on Memorial road just East of Western. They have two menus, one for non Asians and one for Asians. Both are in English, but the one for Asians is also in Chinese and has some nice variations. Also, if you are interested in spicy, tell them and they can take it to any level you would like. When I first started going there I was the only non Asian in the restaurant.
    C. T.

We also enjoy Szechuan Bistro.

Snow Pea north of 63rd and Western is good stuff. Get the spicy fried rice with your entree.

Snow pea is my favorite on the north side, lemon grass is really good but it is south side.

Sitting at Fung's Kitchen eating Pepper Beef as I type. It really is superior to most I've had in the Metro. You can tell the ingredients are of higher quality than most places and it was carefully cooked. Meat is just done and quite tender, and the vegetables retain the perfect amount of crunch. Thanks for the inspiration to have Chinese!

China King, Penn south of kirkpatrick.

Well I know a place but it's not Chinese it's Thai it recently opened at a new location. It's called Thai Tom Yum it's on Classen just north or 23rd. The food is really good and the vegetable's taste really really fresh. Like fresh picked vegetables.

Prunepicker Guest

The Grand House, 2701 N Classen is fantastic.

I didn't care for PF Chang's.

15. Default Re: Good Chinese Restaurants in NW OKC?

Agree about Grand House. Especially dim sum. Chow's on North May has excellent pan-fried rice. Mr. Pho on 25th just west of Western Avenue is one of the better options for Indochinese/Vietnamese influenced Chinese.

It is old and not fancy on the inside, but I like Canton on North McArthur about 29th Street. It is inexpensive and serves Cantonese food. I really like the egg drop soup (It is clear, unlike most), the egg rolls, and chicken chow mein. It has been operated by the same family for 42 years.

Bigray in OK

I like Szechuan Bistro, definitely go with the Chinese menu. I also like Chows

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    It is old and not fancy on the inside, but I like Canton on North McArthur about 29th
    Street. It is inexpensive and serves Cantonese food. I really like the egg drop soup
    (It is clear, unlike most), the egg rolls, and chicken chow mein. It has been operated
    by the same family for 42 years.

Bigray in OK
    I drive by it quite often and have eaten there, but it's been for a long time. Have they
    always been in that location? I know they been there since the 80's.

Grand House and Chow's are my go-to places. If you eat at Chow's, make sure to specify that you'd like ice in your water...whenever we order water there, we get served warm water. We just laugh and go with it every time.

Also, I've never eaten at the one in NW OKC, but I really like Dot Wo in Edmond, so I'd imagine the one in OKC is great, too.

In town, I really like the new Dot Wo on May (used to be a Golden Corral) for generic American Chinese but for the best, I go all the way out to Shawnee to Studio City on Highland.
    They make it the way I like it, California style.

For Authentic Chinese, Fung's on Classen also has an extensive "Chinese" menu and you should always ask about special foods they might have that day.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    Grand House and Chow's are my go-to places. If you eat at Chow's, make sure to specify that you'd like ice in your water...whenever we order water there, we get served warm water. We just laugh and go with it every time.

Also, I've never eaten at the one in NW OKC, but I really like Dot Wo in Edmond, so I'd imagine the one in OKC is great, too.
    I "hear-tell" that there's a fairly decent jazz combo that plays on a regular basis at Grand House.
    Our "go-to" "Chinese Place" is Kim-Wah over on Britton and May (across the street from that overpriced steakRanch).
    I hope the rumor about the band is true. Along with the quality of Grand House.
    In terms of both food and entertainment.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I "hear-tell" that there's a fairly decent jazz combo that plays on a regular basis at
    Grand House.
    It's an excellent jazz combo on Friday nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Heaton View Post
    We were there this past Friday night and found it very good; hadn't been to any Chinexe eatery in several years. Another good one is on NW Hiway just east of Five Guys, but Hunan Garden is much better...l

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I drive by it quite often and have eaten there, but it's been for a long time. Have they
    always been in that location? I know they been there since the 80's.
    Canton has been in the same location since 1972.

My wife and her family eat a lot of Chinese food (they are Chinese-Indonesian). From personal experience, the really good authentic Chinese restaurants are:

Schezuan Bistro at Western & Memorial
    Fung's Kitchen on Classen in the Asian District: Serves Dim Sum on weekends. Has the best BBQ pork.
    Golden Phoenix on Classen in the Asian District: Has the most extensive "glass case" meat selection

We have gone to Grand House many times for Dim Sum but the last few trips left a lot to be desired in the quality of the food so we haven't been in awhile. I have never tried their authentic Chinese menu but I hear it's good.

For many years I heard that Chows, on May, is very good but every time I went there to eat they were closed.

Any of the Great Wall, China Chef, etc.... take-out places in the strip malls are some sort of franchise with all having the same menu and food but different restaurant names. They serve decent Americanized Chinese food.

My wife and I also really like House of Hunan on NW 178th and Santa Fe. Their food is more on the Americanized side of things but it's substantially different from most Americanized Chinese restaurants.

China King on Penn & Memorial used to be really good but their buffet has gotten more limited and MUCH sweeter....almost too sweet to eat.

The first three are the one's I strongly recommend to anyone with a taste for the authentic stuff. But you have to ask for the Asian menu. I prefer Golden Phoenix but the service isn't very good so my wife prefers not to eat there.

Thread Information