Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lyric Theatre's 2014 season

Arts District / Film Row Lyric Theatre's 2014 season

With the opening of Tarzan Tuesday night came the announcement of the full 2014 season.

Here is the lineup for the rest of the 2013 season:

Tarzan: now through Saturday, June 29th (Civic Center)
    The King and I: July 9-13 (Civic Center)
    Will Rogers Follies: July 23-27 (Civic Center)
    Big River (the adventures of Huckleberry Finn): August 6-10 (Civic Center)
    The Rocky Horror Show: October 16-November 2 (Plaza Theatre)
    A Christmas Carol: November 29-December 29

And for the first time on this forum, the exciting 2014 season:

The Odd Couple: January 29-February 15 (Plaza Theatre)
    Triangle (A new musical): March 26-April 5 (Plaza Theatre)
    Les Miserables: June 24-28 (Civic Center)
    Little Mermaid: July 8-12 (Civic Center)
    Spamalot: July 22-26 (Civic Center)
    A Little Night Music: August 5-9 (Civic Center)
    An Inspector Calls: October 8-25 (Plaza Theatre)
    A Christmas Carol: November 28-December 27 (Plaza Theatre)

Call 405-524-9312 for tickets for the rest of the 2013 season as the tickets for the 2014 season is not yet available.

Default Re: Lyric Theatre's 2014 season

I went tonight to see the Will Roger Follies. It was a lot of fun but wasn't the best effort I've seen recently by the Lyric.

I went Tuesday and left at intermission.

I'm sad you all didn't like it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you not like about it?

Blog Entries

I didn't think it up to standard either. I thought that Zig's favorite was not a strong voice and her performance was forced. Will was only OK. The interjected Contemporary humor was weak and not Will Rogersesque. I've seen the Bway production and this was way, way short.

On the plus side, I thought the corus girls/dancers did a very good job.

wow, didn't expect to see this discussed... i went to the saturday matinee and totally agree about the strength of the performance. the choreography was good and the actor who played rogers' dad did a great job... but altogether, the delivery just seemed off to me especially with the actor playing rogers. -M

I really couldn't pinpoint a particular problem and I certainly did enjoy the show. There was just something about it that left me feeling a little unsatisfied. Maybe I had an overblown idea of the show based on my memories of seeing the original touring production here with Keith Carradine.

Lyric Theatre brings 2013 summer season to a close with Big River | News OK

Honestly, this is the one I have been most looking forward to since I saw a lot of the cast sing at the 50th anniversary concert. I hope it is a great show and doesn't disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    With the opening of Tarzan Tuesday night came the announcement of the full 2014 season.

Here is the lineup for the rest of the 2013 season:

Tarzan: now through Saturday, June 29th (Civic Center)
    The King and I: July 9-13 (Civic Center)
    Will Rogers Follies: July 23-27 (Civic Center)
    Big River (the adventures of Huckleberry Finn): August 6-10 (Civic Center)
    The Rocky Horror Show: October 16-November 2 (Plaza Theatre)
    A Christmas Carol: November 29-December 29

And for the first time on this forum, the exciting 2014 season:

The Odd Couple: January 29-February 15 (Plaza Theatre)
    Triangle (A new musical): March 26-April 5 (Plaza Theatre)
    Les Miserables: June 24-28 (Civic Center)
    Little Mermaid: July 8-12 (Civic Center)
    Spamalot: July 22-26 (Civic Center)
    A Little Night Music: August 5-9 (Civic Center)
    An Inspector Calls: October 8-25 (Plaza Theatre)
    A Christmas Carol: November 28-December 27 (Plaza Theatre)

Call 405-524-9312 for tickets for the rest of the 2013 season as the tickets for the 2014 season is not yet available.
    We were disappointed to see the 2014 season. Les Miserables? WHY? Most interested in theatre have seen the touring show and it's incredible. They're only opening themselves up, too soon, to comparison.

I still enjoy the mix of Jewel Box shows and its intimate atmosphere in the round. I like the Lyric, but this new schedule......

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    We were disappointed to see the 2014 season. Les Miserables? WHY? Most interested in theatre have seen the touring show and it's incredible. They're only opening themselves up, too soon, to comparison.

I still enjoy the mix of Jewel Box shows and its intimate atmosphere in the round. I like the Lyric, but this new schedule......
    Completely agree; one of the primary reasons I've never been much of a patron of Lyric. Not much challenging theatre there and your comment about the touring shows is spot on.

Lyric locked down in the Les Mis show, a show they have been wanting to do for a long time, before the tour revival was announced. One thing a lot of people don't understand is that Lyric is not bringing in a tour like Celebrity Attractions, they are producing the show from scratch. The actors have possibly played the roles in the show previously but the costumes and set are going to be done here from scratch, so the show will be different from the tour that came through last year. Also, when the show is done at a regional theatre like Lyric, the quality of the people in the show is usually going to be better than a touring cast. The reason being is someone can come in and get paid well for doing six shows a week instead of getting paid alright for doing eight shows a week for over a year. Really good actors and actresses prefer that. Hopefully next season it is done very well (the renewals have been flooding in). Honestly, as much as I am looking forward to Les Mis, I am looking forward to Spamalot more. I have been wanting to see that show for years.

The Lyric does a great job overall for what they do but they obviously are not going to be all things to all people. There are a number of theater groups in OKC that produce a variety of plays that appeal to other tastes. If people can't find the kind of theater they are looking for in OKC they basically aren't looking too hard.

Lyric locked down in the Les Mis show, a show they have been wanting to do for a long time, before the tour revival was announced. One thing a lot of people don't understand is that Lyric is not bringing in a tour like Celebrity Attractions, they are producing the show from scratch. The actors have possibly played the roles in the show previously but the costumes and set are going to be done here from scratch, so the show will be different from the tour that came through last year. Also, when the show is done at a regional theatre like Lyric, the quality of the people in the show is usually going to be better than a touring cast. The reason being is someone can come in and get paid well for doing six shows a week instead of getting paid alright for doing eight shows a week for over a year. Really good actors and actresses prefer that. Hopefully next season it is done very well (the renewals have been flooding in). Honestly, as much as I am looking forward to Les Mis, I am looking forward to Spamalot more. I have been wanting to see that show for years.
    I said this a little over a year ago and Spamalot did not disappoint. Now, keep in mind, this is coming from a 34 year old male who has watched The Holy Grail more times than I can count and can quote the entire movie from beginning to end. I was crying I was laughing so hard. This has probably been my favorite show to date that lyric has done and I have seen them all since 2010. There are so many stupid little things about the show that I love (for those that will or have seen it, I am talking specifically about hay, symbol/cymbal and the fourth wall). Again, this is not a show you go to expecting everything to be flawless, it is straight Monty Python and there are things that are screwed up on purpose to get a laugh out of the audience (specifially, the rabbit and the dark knight's legs). Hope everyone who goes to see it enjoys it as much as I did.

Dang, I wanted to take my husband to that and forgot about it. He'd love it, too. How long is it running?

Eta - duh - saw it further up. If I can get my husband to go, I'm going to.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Dang, I wanted to take my husband to that and forgot about it. He'd love it, too. How long is it running?

Runs through Saturday evening with nightly showings and a matinee on Saturday. There is a small amount of language and suggestivity to this show, but if you are going to anything regarding Monty Python, you should be expecting that. I only say that because a lady left at intermission due to the language. For the record, they say the more derogatory term of poop two or three times, a derogatory term for a woman's private parts that starts with a "T" a few times and a derogatory term for a woman's chest area that starts with "T" a few times as well. Of course, the usual d@mn, he!! and b@$tard are thrown in there as well.

Runs through Saturday evening with nightly showings and a matinee on Saturday. There is a small amount of language and suggestivity to this show, but if you are going to anything regarding Monty Python, you should be expecting that. I only say that because a lady left at intermission due to the language. For the record, they say the more derogatory term of poop two or three times, a derogatory term for a woman's private parts that starts with a "T" a few times and a derogatory term for a woman's chest area that starts with "T" a few times as well. Of course, the usual d@mn, he!! and b@$tard are thrown in there as well.
    YOu would think most would expect that from a Monty Python show.. but some folks are always offended and leave.

When I saw Nancy and Beth the Megan Mullally show there earlier this year or end of last I can't recall. there were several who left. I assumed they thought they were coming to see Karen from Will and Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    YOu would think most would expect that from a Monty Python show.. but some folks are always offended and leave.

When I saw Nancy and Beth the Megan Mullally show there earlier this year or end of last I can't recall. there were several who left. I assumed they thought they were coming to see Karen from Will and Grace.
    True. I think the only show you can expect to offend people and people to expect it is The Rocky Horror Show. In the last two times Lyric has done it, I don't think there has been anyone that has left due to it being too vulgar, racy or offensive.

Makes me laugh. Still, what was she expecting?

Brings to mind many years ago my mother treated my husband and Me to a showing of Best Little Whore House in Texas and if you've seen it, you know the show opens with a raucous number with quite a bit of sporting going on in the cat house. I loved it and mom was no prude but she confessed that she suffered a bit of shock because she was afraid she'd gotten into an X rated production she hadn't expected.

If you or your husband are a Python fan then you will enjoy. Good times.

True. I think the only show you can expect to offend people and people to expect it is The Rocky Horror Show. In the last two times Lyric has done it, I don't think there has been anyone that has left due to it being too vulgar, racy or offensive.
    Maybe you havent heard of the Book of Mormon.

After reading other comments about people walking out, I wonder what would happen if Book of Mormon did come to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Maybe you havent heard of the Book of Mormon.

After reading other comments about people walking out, I wonder what would happen if Book of Mormon did come to OKC.
    Since BOM is a realtively new musical with not as big of a cult following as RH, I didn't consider that one. I haven't seen it, but I own the album (which I have listened to over and over and know every song) and have seen a pirated version of the show and there are a few songs in there that can offend even me and I watch South Park religiously (no pun intended). In "Six days to Air", Trey Parker says during the song "Hasa Diga Eebowai" we've either completely lost you or you are so sucked in, you can't look away, like a car wreck. BOM is on tour right now and I have heard they will come to OKC and Tulsa in 2016, but we will see. I would totally buy tickets.

[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    If you or your husband are a Python fan then you will enjoy. Good times.
    I'm really excited because we're going to the Saturday matinee!! So appreciative of the reminder that it was playing.

Went to the show and it was just great. What a hoot. Thanks, again, for the reminder. I may have to ask for a season ticket for my Christmas present.

Went to the show and it was just great. What a hoot. Thanks, again, for the reminder. I may have to ask for a season ticket for my Christmas present.
    I think this will be my favorite of the summer season!! Lyric "does" great things!! Support your local theater companies!!

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    I think this will be my favorite of the summer season!! Lyric "does" great things!! Support your local theater companies!!
    Glad you all enjoyed the show as much as I did. Here's an interesting tidbit I learned during the show: Monte Wheeler, who plays Lancelot, also plays the main Knight who says "NI". The second time they run in to he and the other knights who say Ni and he says, "We are the Knights who say, 'Icky, Icky, Icky, Patang...." everything after that is adlibbed in order to try to get King Arthur to break character. I saw it twice and my wife read me all the other ones which were hysterical.

Thread Information