Widgets Magazine

Thread: Old Santa Fe Restaurant at I40 and Garth Brooks

Default Old Santa Fe Restaurant at I40 and Garth Brooks

Anyone know what's going in there? There's a lot of construction going on around the building. They blocked my getting into Starbucks a week or so ago.

Default Re: Old Santa Fe Restaurant at I40 and Garth Brooks

It is now open as the new steak house.. anyone been there yet? How was the food, service, selection, and price?

Hensley's Top Shelf opens today June 13th.

Wife and I ate there just last Saturday. The food was excellent. Reminds me a lot of Rococo's. The crab cakes were amazing! It is pricey but the food is well top shelf I guess. I read some reviews early on about slow service etc....I avoid restaurants the first few weeks due to this, let them work the kinks. We plan to go back next week.

I have not eaten there but from what I hear, their customer service is HORRIBLE from the hostess to the managers.

I have eaten there four times.

Food is good but nothing I haven't had before. The service was good each time. I have had no problems with them at all.

I have been about 10 times. It's nice to have a place in Yukon that can make a great mixed drink, and the food is enjoyable. The service, except for the first time when they had only been open a week, has been exceptional.

I don't consider it pricy at all. It's only as expensive as you make it. Whether you get the $42 strip with king crab or the $11 roasted chicken - you are most likely going to be perfectly happy with the quality and preparation. They have a wide variety of excellent sides, your choice of two included with practically every meal (not something that's always a given in an upscale place).

IMO, they have hurt themselves with the white tablecloth, reservations suggested atmosphere which gives the impression of being pricier than they actually are. Their prices are actually on par with most every full service restaurant in the metro, in any category.

Hensley's chicken and artichokes - $11 or $17; Charleston's chicken picatta - $15

Hensley's meatloaf - $8 or $12; Carino's italian meatloaf - $14.99

Hensley's chicken fried steak - $9 or $14; Ann's chicken fried steak - $8.50 or $13.65

Hensley's cheeseburger + side - $9; Irma's no-name cheeseburger + fries - $9.45

Hensley's shrimp caesar salad - $14; West shrimp caesar salad - $15

etc, etc, etc...

I will try them I thought they would be higher also.

Anybody know how this place is doing? Whenever I drive by here the place is usually close to empty especially after 7:30ish.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Anybody know how this place is doing? Whenever I drive by here the place is usually close to empty especially after 7:30ish.
    This place is absolutely fantastic! From the appetizers to the dishes to the drinks themselves, it is wonderful. I highly recommend a visit.

Moderator....wasn't sure whether to start new thread or post here. Can we rename the thread Hensley's Top Shelf Grill?

Ate at Hensley's Top Shelf Grill in Yukon last night with family. My wife is from Yukon so we thought we would drive out after seeing it on Open Table. Interesting place. The best way I can describe it is Redneck fine dining or a Charleston's wanna be that isn't quite there. The tables have black tablecloths and nice utensils and plates. Menu looks great and decent wine list with good prices. Service was attentive but not refined. One thing I really liked was nice kid's menus with decent items. My older preteens enjoy a good steak and there were 4 oz filets on the kid's menu for $15.00 including drink and side (baked potato was $2 upgrade though which was a little steep for switching from fries or other sides to bake potato). It was nice though thought that they could order their own size appropriate steak.

We ordered three apps which were black and blue bruschetta which was tasty, crawfish cheese dip which was very good and chicken brochettes which were overcooked. Ordered a bottle of wine which was brought to table with freestanding chill bucket. Ordered end piece of prime rib after being assured that it was well seasoned with bake potato and mac and cheese for sides. (12oz cut with sides was around $26.00) Prime rib was decent quality cut of meat but the only seasoning I could taste was some pepper. The au jus had no flavor either. The mac and cheese was bland and soupy. My wife, 2 of my three kids, and mother in law had filets and said they were ok. They were a lot closer to rare than med rare as ordered but didn't send them back. The mushrooms that wife ordered as a side were tasty. My other kid has chicken strips and although I didn't taste them, they did not appear to be store bought standard strips and the portion size was ample. For dessert, had a slice of chocolate peanut butter pie and it was good. Check was $200 before tip which was reasonable considering we had bottle of wine and three apps.

Presentation was nice. Service was attentive but like I said, needed refinement. For example, when presenting menus, they gave me the menu before the ladies and instead of walking around and handing menu to daughter, the server tossed it down the table to her. Served wine correctly but then never refilled glasses leaving us to get the wine from the ice bucket dripping with water and serve ourselves. I saw bread baskets taken to other table but we never received any bread as I think the server forgot about it. The outside of the place looks high end but the room we were in looked almost banquet roomish with a few photos put up for sale by local photographer so there wasn't really a theme or any real décor even though it looks really nice in the front and outside.

If I lived in Yukon, would go in for a burger and sandwich but if really wanted a nice night out...would travel in to Red Prime, Charleston's, etc. A very big thumbs up though for the kids menu.

My parents neighbors are the Hensley's that own this. They are from Mustang. I've never actually eaten their personally which is odd since I've known the family since middle school.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Moderator....wasn't sure whether to start new thread or post here. Can we rename the thread Hensley's Top Shelf Grill?

Ate at Hensley's Top Shelf Grill in Yukon last night with family. My wife is from Yukon so we thought we would drive out after seeing it on Open Table. Interesting place. The best way I can describe it is Redneck fine dining or a Charleston's wanna be that isn't quite there. The tables have black tablecloths and nice utensils and plates. Menu looks great and decent wine list with good prices. Service was attentive but not refined. One thing I really liked was nice kid's menus with decent items. My older preteens enjoy a good steak and there were 4 oz filets on the kid's menu for $15.00 including drink and side (baked potato was $2 upgrade though which was a little steep for switching from fries or other sides to bake potato). It was nice though thought that they could order their own size appropriate steak.

We ordered three apps which were black and blue bruschetta which was tasty, crawfish cheese dip which was very good and chicken brochettes which were overcooked. Ordered a bottle of wine which was brought to table with freestanding chill bucket. Ordered end piece of prime rib after being assured that it was well seasoned with bake potato and mac and cheese for sides. (12oz cut with sides was around $26.00) Prime rib was decent quality cut of meat but the only seasoning I could taste was some pepper. The au jus had no flavor either. The mac and cheese was bland and soupy. My wife, 2 of my three kids, and mother in law had filets and said they were ok. They were a lot closer to rare than med rare as ordered but didn't send them back. The mushrooms that wife ordered as a side were tasty. My other kid has chicken strips and although I didn't taste them, they did not appear to be store bought standard strips and the portion size was ample. For dessert, had a slice of chocolate peanut butter pie and it was good. Check was $200 before tip which was reasonable considering we had bottle of wine and three apps.

Presentation was nice. Service was attentive but like I said, needed refinement. For example, when presenting menus, they gave me the menu before the ladies and instead of walking around and handing menu to daughter, the server tossed it down the table to her. Served wine correctly but then never refilled glasses leaving us to get the wine from the ice bucket dripping with water and serve ourselves. I saw bread baskets taken to other table but we never received any bread as I think the server forgot about it. The outside of the place looks high end but the room we were in looked almost banquet roomish with a few photos put up for sale by local photographer so there wasn't really a theme or any real décor even though it looks really nice in the front and outside.

If I lived in Yukon, would go in for a burger and sandwich but if really wanted a nice night out...would travel in to Red Prime, Charleston's, etc. A very big thumbs up though for the kids menu.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Hensley's is wonderful.

And now it's closed

I am hearing they are going to tear the building down and build a retail pad.

Thread Information