Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Otasco

Default Otasco

In 2008 there was an Otasco operating in Beaver, OK and Borger, TX. This was our "gift store". Christmas, birthdays,,,,,,,,,,, Not to knock TG&Y, but OTASCO seemed to have a better toy selection. What do you think? What do you remember about OTASCO?

Default Re: Otasco

TG&Y was for browsing, but Otasco was for buying.

They were the place to go for a new trike or bike, or a new wagon.

They also sold these horrible stuffed monkeys. They had a rubber face, and rubber hands - with one hand holding a half-peeled rubber banana. They also had on white rubber tennis shoes. Their shirts were yellow fur, and legs were black fur. I had one as a small child, and my aunt bought one for my son when he was born.

I remember those monkeys.
    The best thing about otasco was the commercials near Christmas and the Catalog that came in the mail.
    we would circle things we wanted, that was easy for the parents now that I think about it.

They had a catchy Christmas jingle, kind of like B.C. Clark.
    I think it started something like:

It's holiday time, the time to be gay,
    time to save the Otasco way. ..
    yah-da, yah-da. . .

They had Flying "O" brand bikes and wagons.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    TG&Y was for browsing, but Otasco was for buying.

They were the place to go for a new trike or bike, or a new wagon.

They also sold these horrible stuffed monkeys. They had a rubber face, and rubber hands - with one hand holding a half-peeled rubber banana. They also had on white rubber tennis shoes. Their shirts were yellow fur, and legs were black fur. I had one as a small child, and my aunt bought one for my son when he was born.
    Mr Bim I still have nightmares

My Grandfather owned an OTASCO store in Sayre, OK. I remember sitting in the most comfy of the 20 recliners and watching 10 T.V.'s at once. The store later changed names to Coast to Coast Hardware until my Grandfater retired and sold the store.

Quote Originally Posted by se-76 View Post

Mr bim i still have nightmares
    lololol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T in OKC View Post
    My Grandfather owned an OTASCO store in Sayre, OK. I remember sitting in the most comfy of the 20 recliners and watching 10 T.V.'s at once. The store later changed names to Coast to Coast Hardware until my Grandfater retired and sold the store.
    Otasco (stores)
    Otasco was a retail chain based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was first established in 1918 by three Jewish Lithuanian immigrant brothers, Sam (1898-1939), Maurice (1891-1970), and Herman (1889-1971) Sanditen, who opened the first Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company (OTASCO) in Okmulgee. The company moved its headquarters to Tulsa in 1925. In 1960 the McCrory Corporation bought the company. In 1968 the chain had 455 units in 12 states. In 1984 the firm's employees bought the company from McCrory, creating one of the largest employee-owned companies in America.[1] In 1988 the retail chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which resulted in the closing of 170 stores across 11 states and the loss of 1,600 jobs.[2] Otasco specialized in auto parts and appliances. As of 2008 an Otasco was still apparently operating in Beaver, Oklahoma.[3] Borger, Texas, also has a store operating under the Otasco name in 2009. [4]

News to me! I did not know..............

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Otasco (stores)
    Otasco was a retail chain based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was first established in 1918 by three Jewish Lithuanian immigrant brothers, Sam (1898-1939), Maurice (1891-1970), and Herman (1889-1971) Sanditen, who opened the first Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company (OTASCO) in Okmulgee. The company moved its headquarters to Tulsa in 1925. In 1960 the McCrory Corporation bought the company. In 1968 the chain had 455 units in 12 states. In 1984 the firm's employees bought the company from McCrory, creating one of the largest employee-owned companies in America.[1] In 1988 the retail chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which resulted in the closing of 170 stores across 11 states and the loss of 1,600 jobs.[2] Otasco specialized in auto parts and appliances. As of 2008 an Otasco was still apparently operating in Beaver, Oklahoma.[3] Borger, Texas, also has a store operating under the Otasco name in 2009. [4]

News to me! I did not know..............
    I have to go check those out! that would be like a time warp going in there.

Maybe if I am lucky Mr. Bim will be waiting by the door and a old gyroscope!!!

Here's the OTASCO in Borger, TX.... otasco - Google Maps

Sounds like a good road trip!

I remember going into OTASCO with my Dad a lot. I remember during the summer, mowing as many yards I could in my neighborhood and saving the money. I was 10, 11 or 12 years old. But I saved my money and my Dad took me to OTASCO at the Airline Shopping Center and I bought my first 22 rifle. I think it was an OTASCO brand. I had to have my own rifle, because my cousin (same age as me) that lived out in the country had his own (I couldn't deal with that) and we would go squirrel hunting when I went down to visit him. You can't do that now.

My best Christmas ever was a Browning .22 rifle from Otasco. I wish I still had it.

You guys are beginning to hurt my feelings....Orasco was an after thought for toys ...Only at Christmas....then they would try and cut TG&Y's prices only until TG&Y opened automotive centers. Bob Springer was the first full time Automotive manager had...He came from Otasco. If you notice McCrory/McClellan & Green cause two major chains in Oklahoma to go down the tubes.....GYROSCOPE???? you didn't pick up the one I left you....Had to bring it back home...'78 is losing it guys....By the way I have a Mr. Bim in my "Junk" pile
    half-eaten banana and all......OTASCO:................Gimme Break TG&Y Rules...O.K.?????Remember I'm the oldest of this crowd....

I remember Timothy.....cant find an ad or pic with him in it though. And yeah they had a great Christmas catalog, I used to use it when making out my Christmas list.

Hey....there is still a TG&Y opened in Sand Springs, Oklahoma....A former manager of TG&Y opened a store with that name...I applaud him....the memory lasts more than in our minds....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    You guys are beginning to hurt my feelings....Orasco was an after thought for toys ...Only at Christmas....then they would try and cut TG&Y's prices only until TG&Y opened automotive centers. Bob Springer was the first full time Automotive manager had...He came from Otasco. If you notice McCrory/McClellan & Green cause two major chains in Oklahoma to go down the tubes.....GYROSCOPE???? you didn't pick up the one I left you....Had to bring it back home...'78 is losing it guys....By the way I have a Mr. Bim in my "Junk" pile
    half-eaten banana and all......OTASCO:................Gimme Break TG&Y Rules...O.K.?????Remember I'm the oldest of this crowd....
    Guess I must have missed that meeting, and mister I lost it a long time ago and never found where I placed it! Otasco did have the best toy adds around christmas I just drooled around then.

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Guess I must have missed that meeting, and mister I lost it a long time ago and never found where I placed it! Otasco did have the best toy adds around christmas I just drooled around then.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yeah but look how old you are.....I got you a Dairy Queen spoon today don't forget to take it home like you did on the Gyroscope.....

Hey....there is still a TG&Y opened in Sand Springs, Oklahoma....A former manager of TG&Y opened a store with that name...I applaud him....the memory lasts more than in our minds....
    Otasco has 2 stores one TG&Y so who will outlast the other?
    Bring back a CR Anthony's and the war is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeOkie View Post
    Anthony's = Munsingwear!

Was Munsingwear the first to have an emblem, penguin vs. like Izod?

My parents drove to Alaska several years ago and he told me that Canada has CTASCO?

Or maybe it was CATASCO.....................

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Anthony's = Munsingwear!

Was Munsingwear the first to have an emblem, penguin vs. like Izod?

My parents drove to Alaska several years ago and he told me that Canada has CTASCO?

Or maybe it was CATASCO.....................
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Izod was right there with Munsingwear....then they Izod/Lacoste split up. I remember buying an Aligator Shirt for $2.99 at C.R. Anthony....that was equivalent to 5 hours working for TG&Y.......Sheesh......By the way, there is a TG&Y in Grant's New Mexico so they are Tied.......I think the guy who owned didn't want to pay for a new sign.....he just used the old one.....

the old flying O BIKES ARE HARD TO FIND ANYMORE....at least in 1 piece

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    the old flying O BIKES ARE HARD TO FIND ANYMORE....at least in 1 piece
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found an old Flying"O" Scooter....kids [push scooter....I re-painted (I know, I shouldn't have) it and it is hanging at the Grille on the Hill...I need to go and get that thing since it is no longer Jaime's grille......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember buying an Aligator Shirt for $2.99 at C.R. Anthony....that was equivalent to 5 hours working for TG&....
    So when it comes to employees wages........not much difference between TG&Y and Wal-Mart..............

Quote Originally Posted by NativeOkie View Post
    There is still a Sound Warehouse in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It didn't have anything to do with the OKC based chain but it still has the name.

Thread Information