Widgets Magazine
Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2878123124125126127128129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3447

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Here it is, compliments of Gen64. I kept it.

Shipman’s Biscuit Recipe
    2 Cups of Sifted Flour
    3 tablespoons OIL Not lard
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tablespoon of sugar

1 packet of yeast
    3/4 cup of warm water, warm enough to melt the yeast
    mix the oil, salt, flour and sugar stir them to texture and pour in a

packet of yeast and the water and mix to consistent. Then knead the
    mixture and roll it out to about 3/4" thick then cut the biscuits out.
    Put on a 13 x 9 pan and cover with a kitchen towel until it rises...30
    minutes or less

Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees

The biscuits at Shipman's were on a conveyor belt type
    oven. They kept dropping out!

Recipes from the Restaurants of Oklahoma City.
    Would these not be ROLLS..rather than biscuits? I like them both...

Your only as good as your last recipe, how about Nicolosi's lasagna and house salad dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Would these not be ROLLS..rather than biscuits? I like them both...
    that is the Biscuit Recipe.....No, these are the true Shipman biscuits.....add honey and butter and then let your mom smack you across the face for making such a mess...then you look over at your dad and everyone begins to laugh......I really liked the Ham Steak they had there also....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    that is the Biscuit Recipe.....No, these are the true Shipman biscuits.....add honey and butter and then let your mom smack you across the face for making such a mess...then you look over at your dad and everyone begins to laugh......I really liked the Ham Steak they had there also....
    where have you been?????.....wish I could find a place as good as Nicolosis....I'd even let you buy.....wsn't the house dressing sorta like a French Dressing????help me out here pal....

Well--you being a General, I will respect that. I do remember the table manners you speak of from the 1950's...smack the boys was the cultural sport back then...

I almost bought a small amount of manteca today at WallyWorld...just to have for those things that really require pork fat. Most chefs call it the most essential thing in a kitchen--Julia Child did. They way it deals with the starch in flour makes all the difference in the world--especially biscuits and pie crust. Vegetable shortening is a poor substitute for many things...
    what is manteca? unable to find in dictionary or on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Baja Taxas for lard

Spanish for Lard...familiar to me living in L.A. for 25 years...look at cans/boxes of it today...one side usually says that

And who but some gringo in California would name a town Manteca?

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    And who but some gringo in California would name a town Manteca?
    It is one of the reasons I describe Los Angeles (and California in general) as the World's Largest Continuous State Fair...

It is one of the reasons I describe Los Angeles (and California in general) as the World's Largest Continuous State Fair...
    Or in the "carny" sense of the word a bunch of geeks

Or in the "carny" sense of the word a bunch of geeks
    So few know what a "geek" really is...but--nowadays they all go to El Pollo Loco for chicken rather than the more abbreviated way they dined on fowl in the older days...

So few know what a "geek" really is...but--nowadays they all go to El Pollo Loco for chicken rather than the more abbreviated way they dined on fowl in the older days...
    Least ways they cook it at El Pollo Loco

Least ways they cook it at El Pollo Loco
    Hey, I had a few great meals at El Pollo Loco (some "crazy" chicken") in Laredo, Texas......that and Dos Equis and I'm set for the evening.....Laredo, that's a completely different place now.....that is really southside OKC....

El Pollo Loco does make a good piece of burnt chicken...and usually they have a decent jalapeno to go with it. The beans suck...

El Pollo Loco does make a good piece of burnt chicken...and usually they have a decent jalapeno to go with it. The beans suck...
    they had a Jalapeno pie in Laredo....pretty good....well, it was unusual.....

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories... anyone?

In Santa Fe there's a few really good restaurants. The Pantry
    is awesome but it's closed by 3pm. Another is La Choza. WOW!
    I like the New Mexico Mex. Chile Rellanos! Excellente bel grande!

Does anyone have any memories and info on the Walnut Grove area of South OKC back in the 1950-60's?

Does anyone have any memories and info on the Walnut Grove area of South OKC back in the 1950-60's?
    tell me where it was located.....approximate location.....If Carltonskeeper is on line he'll know.....that guy has a memory like a steel trap...

tell me where it was located.....approximate location.....If Carltonskeeper is on line he'll know.....that guy has a memory like a steel trap...
    It was a very impoverished area...without electricty, down on the river near the Walker bridge...almost a shanty town at some point...I was told by some Capitol Hill associates that people had lived there whole life there and never been to downtown OKC which they could see right across the river...

It was a very impoverished area...without electricty, down on the river near the Walker bridge...almost a shanty town at some point...I was told by some Capitol Hill associates that people had lived there whole life there and never been to downtown OKC which they could see right across the river...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    O.K., know where and what you're talking about now. We have had many discussions on this thread about Sand Town off of May Avenue. These areas were talked about under the titles of "Hoover Ville"....Some ways back and/or on the capitol Hill Threads there are some actual pictures of this. I don't remember the name of Walnut Grove but I do remember the area on Walker. My In-Laws own a business in that area and for a long time (1967-1970) there were still people living down there in Cardboard Boxed Shanties.....I'm Sure Carltonskeeper will eventually read this and shine some light on it to great depths.....

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    O.K., know where and what you're talking about now. We have had many discussions on this thread about Sand Town off of May Avenue. These areas were talked about under the titles of "Hoover Ville"....Some ways back and/or on the capitol Hill Threads there are some actual pictures of this. I don't remember the name of Walnut Grove but I do remember the area on Walker. My In-Laws own a business in that area and for a long time (1967-1970) there were still people living down there in Cardboard Boxed Shanties.....I'm Sure Carltonskeeper will eventually read this and shine some light on it to great depths.....
    To me Gen/64 that would be right across the Walker Bridge going North to S.W. 13th which would have been a location where a gentlemen by the name of Jesse RULED??????
    I have toured this area in my youth and I'm sure this would be the place, ya think!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    To me Gen/64 that would be right across the Walker Bridge going North to S.W. 13th which would have been a location where a gentlemen by the name of Jesse RULED??????
    I have toured this area in my youth and I'm sure this would be the place, ya think!!!!
    ================================================== ==============
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Most of the housing there was just tar paper shacks (shotgun houses). they would blow down and then the entire neighborhood would help rebuild....as time came and went they (the tenants) would find scraps of wood etc. and the houses would be slowly rebuilt. Now, around little Flower, there were houses built that are still there....

================================================== ==============
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Most of the housing there was just tar paper shacks (shotgun houses). they would blow down and then the entire neighborhood would help rebuild....as time came and went they (the tenants) would find scraps of wood etc. and the houses would be slowly rebuilt. Now, around little Flower, there were houses built that are still there....
    Still some standing and a few in decent shape just a little north of there around SW 5th and 6th Walker, Dewey , Lee area. New highway got a lot of them, though.

Prunepicker Guest

tell me where it was located... approximate location... If
    Carltonskeeper is on line he'll know... that guy has a memory like
    a steel trap...
    So do I. Unfortunately, the it's rusted shut.

Thread Information