View Full Version : Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

RustytheBailiff
04-05-2020, 10:08 AM
[/COLOR][/INDENT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

how f*ing hard is it to post political comments on the political thread? Are some of you really too stupid to make the distinction???

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I was responding to another poster and I did not believe I was being political, just the facts. When the president of the united states essentially refutes the advice of the Head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, on National TV, and tells the world he is too good to wear a mask - what message does that send to the country, one of confusion perhaps? I do not care what party he represents, he is an inefficient and ineffective leader in this crisis. Now if making a comment of the inadequacies of our elected head of state is political, then please excuse me, I am too stupid to know the distinction.

Edmond Hausfrau
04-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Re: mobile handwashing stations and sanitizer.
Wasn't part of the bond vote on city parks to pay for bathrooms with plumbed sinks and toilets?
Bluff Creek playground used to have sink, etc and I understood it was switched to porta potty only due to lack of city $ to maintain bathrooms.
I think having easy access to handwashing in a playground or park is a no brainer, but right now we just count on private businesses to have bathrooms for us all (Shout out to Starbucks and McDonald's).
Public hygiene is a big issue.

SoonerDave
04-05-2020, 10:13 AM
Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I was responding to another poster and I did not believe I was being political, just the facts. When the president of the united states essentially refutes the advice of the Head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, on National TV, and tells the world he is too good to wear a mask - what message does that send to the country, one of confusion perhaps? I do not care what party he represents, he is an inefficient and ineffective leader in this crisis. Now if making a comment of the inadequacies of our elected head of state is political, then please excuse me, I am too stupid to know the distinction.

When you make comments other than that specifies in the thread topic, then add your opinion about elected leaders, that's political. Keep it in the pol thread.

SoonerDave
04-05-2020, 10:14 AM
Better news in the testing numbers:

Positive: 1252. (up only about 8%)
hospitalization: 330 (up 4%).

Hopeful. Excepting yesterday's jump, the trend is hopeful.

OKC Guy
04-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Better news in the testing numbers:

Positive: 1252. (up only about 8%)
hospitalization: 330 (up 4%).

Hopeful. Excepting yesterday's jump, the trend is hopeful.

I think we will start seeing declines in the coming week. Also reading about hospitals putting people on call due to not enough work to keep employees busy.

Saw this on Florida seems encouraging

Pete
04-05-2020, 10:45 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/corona040520a.jpg

OKC Guy
04-05-2020, 10:47 AM

Wow the daily shows we are past peak increases

Pete
04-05-2020, 10:55 AM
Wow the daily shows we are past peak increases

The numbers have tended to go down on the weekend then back up again once the week starts.

We'll see if that pattern holds.

OKC Guy
04-05-2020, 11:08 AM
The numbers have tended to go down on the weekend then back up again once the week starts.

What I see is 5 consecutive days of slowing growth which is encouraging

RustytheBailiff
04-05-2020, 11:12 AM
What I see is 5 consecutive days of slowing growth which is encouraging

Five days of slowing grown? Going from 109 to 171 from 4/3 to 4/4? Doesn't appear to be slowing to me -- but what do I know, I'm just a mathematician....

Teo9969
04-05-2020, 11:19 AM
The single most hopeful stat I've seen is this:

Date -- Cumulative Hospitalized -- Current Hospitalized -- Cumulative Deaths

4/3/2020 -- 289 -- 171 -- 38 (=80 left hospital alive: 27.68%)
4/2/2020 -- 257 -- 182 -- 34 (=41 left hospital alive: 15.95%)
4/1/2020 -- 219 -- 174 -- 30 (=15 left hospital alive: 6.85%)

Seems like these numbers only come out on the weekdays from these reports shared by jerrywall from here: https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov/executive-order-reports

catcherinthewry
04-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Five days of slowing grown? Going from 109 to 171 from 4/3 to 4/4? Doesn't appear to be slowing to me -- but what do I know, I'm just a mathematician....

I'm guessing he's looking at the percentages going down rather than the numbers. Which is encouraging but not the right way to look at it. Of course I have a Bachelor's in Mathematics so what do I know?

OKC Guy
04-05-2020, 11:21 AM

Look at hospitalized.

catcherinthewry
04-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Look at hospitalized.

Look at the number not the % increase.

SoonerDave
04-05-2020, 11:29 AM

Very fair point.

Edmond Hausfrau
04-05-2020, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing he's looking at the percentages going down rather than the numbers. Which is encouraging but not the right way to look at it. Of course I have a Bachelor's in Mathematics so what do I know?

Applied or Theoretical?
JK. I'm just reassured that there are 2 posters on here with math degrees. Go STEM!

OKC Guy
04-05-2020, 11:35 AM

Quoting picture so some can see what I see:

Hospital % rates and numbers gone down 5 days in a row. Percent is a key metric

Deaths percent same or gone down 6 days in a row

Am I wrong?

So even if positives go up if hospitalized % goes down then it wouldn’t matter how many are positive if they are not being admitted. Thats good news not bad

catcherinthewry
04-05-2020, 11:39 AM
Applied or Theoretical?
JK. I'm just reassured that there are 2 posters on here with math degrees. Go STEM!

Applied. I started my Master's in Math, but soon realized that my brain didn't work that way.

mugofbeer
04-05-2020, 11:41 AM
We are roughly at day 14 from when stay-at-homes started to be widely implemented. Hopefully, we will see some slowing down and show SAH is working. No matter what, l hope all of you, your friends and families stay healthy and COVID -free.

My neighbors are both nurses and 1 is quarantined after being exposed to someone who had it while not fully protected. Luckily, they have a full-sized completed basement so she's holed-up there while her husband and 2 year old stay upstairs but she can only talk and see her baby from up the stairs right now. So far, no symptoms but they still have to put a sign on their door.

catcherinthewry
04-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Quoting picture so some can see what I see:

Hospital % rates and numbers gone down 5 days in a row. Percent is a key metric

Deaths percent same or gone down 6 days in a row

Am I wrong?

Yes, the rates can go down while the numbers are still going up. When the numbers start going down that will be a good sign.

OKC Guy
04-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Yes, the rates can go down while the numbers are still going up. When the numbers start going down that will be a good sign.

The daily numbers have gone down when compared to prior day hospitalizations. 5 days in a row.

soonerguru
04-05-2020, 11:48 AM
One thing I have observed is the rate of growth in Oklahoma County seems to be slowing, while the rate of growth in Tulsa County and Cleveland County continues apace. Cleveland County has more deaths than Oklahoma County.

Another thing I've observed is the locations of the mobile testing sites really exclude Southeastern Oklahoma. To drive from Broken Bow to McAlester is way too far. I worry about that part of the state because there is virtually no quality healthcare aside from the Choctaw Nation facilities and because of the nearness to the major outbreak in Louisiana. I don't believe for a minute there is only one carrier in McCurtain County.

As regards the news, and COVID-19, it is absurd to try to sanction any commentary on city, state, and national leaders. This is a crisis. Muting content to that which merely discusses epidemiology is ridiculous bordering on censoring. It's one thing to engage in petty political arguments, it's quite another to discuss facts, such as: President Trump said X. President Trump fired Y. Governor Stitt imposed restrictions in some counties but not others, or Governor Stitt "shut down" nonessential businesses but exempted furniture stores like Mathis Brothers. Sorry, that is not political.

Pete
04-05-2020, 12:00 PM
As regards the news, and COVID-19, it is absurd to try to sanction any commentary on city, state, and national leaders. This is a crisis. Muting content to that which merely discusses epidemiology is ridiculous bordering on censoring. It's one thing to engage in petty political arguments, it's quite another to discuss facts, such as: President Trump said X. President Trump fired Y. Governor Stitt imposed restrictions in some counties but not others, or Governor Stitt "shut down" nonessential businesses but exempted furniture stores like Mathis Brothers. Sorry, that is not political.

We have threads in the Politics forum for this.

Once you start dragging political figures and parties and ideologies into a discussion, things are going to go south very quickly, then informed discussion is lost. In this way, discussion isn't 'muted', it's separated.

We've been separating these things out for years here and it's the reason few discussions -- outside of those in the Politics forum -- devolve into the typical vitriol seen on almost every discussion forum. And I know this because I have been moderating forums for almost 20 years.

So, that's the way it's going to be here and it will not change regardless of current events.

RedDollar
04-05-2020, 12:11 PM
One thing I have observed is the rate of growth in Oklahoma County seems to be slowing, while the rate of growth in Tulsa County and Cleveland County continues apace. Cleveland County has more deaths than Oklahoma County.

l.

Cleveland County has more deaths due to infections in one nursing home.

TheTravellers
04-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Applied or Theoretical?

2.5, I've got a mathematics minor (major is in Computer Science). :)

jn1780
04-05-2020, 03:01 PM

These are total hospitalized and total positive cases since the beginning. This particular dataset is only useful at determining rate of growth. We would need to subtract recovered and deaths from hospitalized.

catcherinthewry
04-05-2020, 03:57 PM
The daily numbers have gone down when compared to prior day hospitalizations. 5 days in a row.

I'm sorry, you're right. I thought you were referring to the cumulative numbers for some reason. I really hope that the downward trend of daily hospitalizations continues.

catcherinthewry
04-05-2020, 03:59 PM

I started in CS, but really sucked at it. I was good on the Math side so I just went that direction.

TheTravellers
04-05-2020, 04:09 PM
I started in CS, but really sucked at it. I was good on the Math side so I just went that direction.

Heh, I started in Accounting and got bored, so went with CS instead, theoretical math was just fun for me, so I did that as a minor.

mugofbeer
04-05-2020, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry, you're right. I thought you were referring to the cumulative numbers for some reason. I really hope that the downward trend of daily hospitalizations continues.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the end but for all the criticism given your Governor, CO's Governor has gotten just as many accolades - if not more.

Yet, in CO, where the Governor recommended "stay at home" weeks ago and implemented official "stay at home" order April 26, the stats are far worse per capita than OK. CO with about 2x OK's population, has 140 +14, deaths while OK has 46 dead +4. The discrepancy per capita is getting worse here.

CO has also been recommending face masks for a couple of weeks and it is now mandatory. I hope no one else gets it or dies but OKs stats may even out with CO, but right now, CO shows what is going on in OK isn't curently a harm. I understand this could change but hope it doesn't.

I know about lack of kits and no statewide stay at home order but per deaths, the ultimate result, the stricter guidelines in CO aren't really proving to be the proof of success.

Good luck to all of you.

Canoe
04-05-2020, 07:28 PM

OKCTalk seems to be pretty nerdy place. It must be why I enjoy the conversation here. *Mostly

RustytheBailiff
04-05-2020, 07:29 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens in the end but for all the criticism given your Governor, CO's Governor has gotten just as many accolades - if not more.

Yet, in CO, where the Governor recommended "stay at home" weeks ago and implemented official "stay at home" order April 26, the stats are far worse per capita than OK. CO with about 2x OK's population, has 140 +14, deaths while OK has 46 dead +4. The discrepancy per capita is getting worse here.

CO has also been recommending face masks for a couple of weeks and it is now mandatory. I hope no one else gets it or dies but OKs stats may even out with CO, but right now, CO shows what is going on in OK isn't curently a harm. I understand this could change but hope it doesn't.

I know about lack of kits and no statewide stay at home order but per deaths, the ultimate result, the stricter guidelines in CO aren't really proving to be the proof of success.

Good luck to all of you.

Hey, I'm not positive, but I do think the Colorado Governor did issue a stay at home order prior to April 26th.

mugofbeer
04-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Yeah.... maybe a little. Maybe March 26. Thanks! :)

mugofbeer
04-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Nm

mugofbeer
04-05-2020, 07:52 PM
The problem isn’t the reporting of facts, it’s editorializing them with your own highly politicized opinion. It’s something apparently you and other struggle with here. It’s possible to comment on things without making politically charged commentary. I don’t know why you think saying things like “Stittiot” and adding long winded commentary on how dumb you think the Republican Party/government in OK is adds anything useful to the conversation.

Or, just saying kindly because people really want them separated, this is not the political thread.

jerrywall
04-06-2020, 07:21 AM
I didn't see if anyone had posted this..

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/private-lab-reports-give-clearer-picture-of-scope-of-covid-19-testing-in-oklahoma/

Looks like we finally have some more information on the negative counts from the private labs...

"The 6,000 new reports bring the state’s total to more than 7,400 negative results. When counting the positive tests, more than 8,600 tests were reported to have been completed as of Sunday."

AP
04-06-2020, 07:31 AM
That says that all the data we've been scrutinizing on this board is useless. We still don't have the complete picture of positives or negatives. The demographics are skewed because of selective testing. We won't be able to identify trends until they have corrected the data collection piece of this. It's a little frustrating that private labs just decided not to report negatives.

OKCretro
04-06-2020, 07:33 AM
I didn't see if anyone had posted this..

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/private-lab-reports-give-clearer-picture-of-scope-of-covid-19-testing-in-oklahoma/

Looks like we finally have some more information on the negative counts from the private labs...

"The 6,000 new reports bring the state’s total to more than 7,400 negative results. When counting the positive tests, more than 8,600 tests were reported to have been completed as of Sunday."

Would that mean we aren't in last place in testing our residents?

Pete
04-06-2020, 07:35 AM
That says that all the data we've been scrutinizing on this board is useless. We still don't have the complete picture of positives or negatives. The demographics are skewed because of selective testing. We won't be able to identify trends until they have corrected the data collection piece of this. It's a little frustrating that private labs just decided not to report negatives.

We do have a complete picture of positive results from tests that have been administered.

AP
04-06-2020, 07:38 AM
Right, but that doesn't include people who weren't tested because they were not immunocompromised or in the correct age bracket. So not really a complete picture of positives.

AP
04-06-2020, 07:39 AM

Assuming other states aren't having the same issues with their private labs not reporting negatives...

Pete
04-06-2020, 07:42 AM
Right, but that doesn't include people who weren't tested because they were not immunocompromised or in the correct age bracket. So not really a complete picture of positives.

This is true worldwide.

The only way to get a 100% complete picture is to test everyone on earth every day.

I've said all along the most important numbers concern those hospitalized, as taxing our healthcare system is the primary concern. And those totals are going to be pretty close to accurate.

jerrywall
04-06-2020, 07:51 AM

I've never figured out why that stat matters anyways. Since no one is testing their healthy population, this ranking just reflects which states have a higher rate of folks who need testing. (which isn't to say our testing wasn't behind and limited - just that the ranking folks have been focused on seems to be misleading).

jn1780
04-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Regarding hospital resources, we are trending below this module. So that's promising.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/

Rover
04-06-2020, 08:55 AM
I've never figured out why that stat matters anyways. Since no one is testing their healthy population, this ranking just reflects which states have a higher rate of folks who need testing. (which isn't to say our testing wasn't behind and limited - just that the ranking folks have been focused on seems to be misleading).

Generally, the more you can test for positives, the more you can quarantine carriers. If testing can be wide spread, you can find asymptomatic carriers and get them out from the general population and limit their spreading of the virus. Only testing for absolutely positive cases is trying to catch the horse after it's left the barn.

jerrywall
04-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Generally, the more you can test for positives, the more you can quarantine carriers. If testing can be wide spread, you can find asymptomatic carriers and get them out from the general population and limit their spreading of the virus. Only testing for absolutely positive cases is trying to catch the horse after it's left the barn.

I agree with that intent, but is anyone really just testing the general healthy public, or only those with symptoms or who have been exposed to someone with symptoms? If this is the case, it just makes those ranking irellevant. The hospitalizations and deaths is a much more relevant number. The testing per population #s will really only be relevant once folks are trying to do widespread testing. Or am I missing something?

Laramie
04-06-2020, 09:40 AM
My major concern is the people who test negative; hope they don't become complacent.

The more information I read on this site and general info from the CDC, Presidential Press Conferences (Fauci, Birx) and graphs; this is one of the scariest things I've seen in my lifetime.

Coronavirus in Oklahoma: 1,327 confirmed cases, 51 deaths; April 6, 2020

Wish everyone and their families, relatives and friends, the best.

Snowman
04-06-2020, 09:41 AM
This is true worldwide.

The only way to get a 100% complete picture is to test everyone on earth every day.

I've said all along the most important numbers concern those hospitalized, as taxing our healthcare system is the primary concern. And those totals are going to be pretty close to accurate.

We were not even testing people to differentiate if you had either minor flu or minor covid-19, when I had one of the two a few weeks ago

jn1780
04-06-2020, 09:53 AM
I agree with that intent, but is anyone really just testing the general healthy public, or only those with symptoms or who have been exposed to someone with symptoms? If this is the case, it just makes those ranking irellevant. The hospitalizations and deaths is a much more relevant number. The testing per population #s will really only be relevant once folks are trying to do widespread testing. Or am I missing something?

If we can get the 15 minute tests and antibody tests out there in large numbers. That would be a game changer. It takes like two days minimum to get test results back.

Pete
04-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Numbers just updated for Monday.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/corona040620a.jpg

mkjeeves
04-06-2020, 10:17 AM
We were not even testing people to differentiate if you had either minor flu or minor covid-19, when I had one of the two a few weeks ago

Until a few days ago we weren’t even testing people with comorbid conditions who were know to have been exposed. You had to have both Covid 19 symptoms and comorbid issues.

SoonerDave
04-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Numbers just updated for Monday.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/corona040620a.jpg

Continues to show a very positive trend. Hopeful!

OkiePoke
04-06-2020, 10:24 AM
I wonder if the weekends play a factor in it.

jn1780
04-06-2020, 10:35 AM
I wonder if the weekends play a factor in it.

I can see that with test results. It would be sad, if there was a delay in hospitalizations because someones doctor office is closed for the weekend so they never get sent to hospital. The virus doesn't take a break.

Teo9969
04-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Temperatures around the 25th through the 27th of March were higher. Super anecdotal, but that does fall in that 10-14 day window for incubation. Substantially more likely is that the stay at home effort in OKC really kicked up the week of the 23rd, and that being the driving factor here.

If we see an uptick in the next week or so, we could probably infer that outside temperature does have an effect (though you'd think the environment of most places that people are out and about in have more conducive temps to viral spread).

I think it's likely the effort for us to all shelter that the numbers in check for now.

Edmond Hausfrau
04-06-2020, 10:40 AM
This is true worldwide.

That is a key, and total hospital occupancy appears to be holding steady at around 4300 beds for all comers.
Totally anecdotal, but surgical colleagues are reporting that people are delaying coming to the hospital and as result they're seeing later stage disease. That's not good from a state morbidity/mortality standpoint. It's not just the people who have COVID 19 that we need to be worried about.

Pete
04-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Continues to show a very positive trend. Hopeful!

Again, the numbers have typically slowed over the weekend and then picked up again during the week.

This might be a function of that trend; we'll see over the coming week.

OkiePoke
04-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Temperatures around the 25th through the 27th of March were higher. Super anecdotal, but that does fall in that 10-14 day window for incubation. Substantially more likely is that the stay at home effort in OKC really kicked up the week of the 23rd, and that being the driving factor here.

If we see an uptick in the next week or so, we could probably infer that outside temperature does have an effect (though you'd think the environment of most places that people are out and about in have more conducive temps to viral spread).

I think it's likely the effort for us to all shelter that the numbers in check for now.

Do you have any sources that indicate a higher outside temperature prevents the virus from spreading?

This is from the CDC:
"Generally coronaviruses survive for shorter periods at higher temperatures and higher humidity than in cooler or dryer environments. However, we don’t have direct data for this virus, nor do we have direct data for a temperature-based cutoff for inactivation at this point. The necessary temperature would also be based on the materials of the surface, the environment, etc. Regardless of temperature please follow CDC’s guidance for cleaning and disinfection."

FighttheGoodFight
04-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Did my three week grocery run today at Sams. Everyone was wearing masks and using good distance measures. Good to see!

Teo9969
04-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Do you have any sources that indicate a higher outside temperature prevents the virus from spreading?

This is from the CDC:
"Generally coronaviruses survive for shorter periods at higher temperatures and higher humidity than in cooler or dryer environments. However, we don’t have direct data for this virus, nor do we have direct data for a temperature-based cutoff for inactivation at this point. The necessary temperature would also be based on the materials of the surface, the environment, etc. Regardless of temperature please follow CDC’s guidance for cleaning and disinfection."

No sources, just anecdotal.