View Full Version : Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 12:42 PM
I think the situation is taking it's toll on almost everyone.

I used to go out almost every evening. Now, I maybe go once a month.

And I saw a ton of live music and movies, and haven't been to either since March. Haven't left OKC in that time frame.

I did go to Up-Down on Friday night and was impressed -- they do a really good job across the board. But it's not much fun to go out when everyone is wearing masks and people are social distancing. Rather defeats the purpose of going out in the first place and just creates a weird vibe.

Really missing football this time of year and although I'll watch on TV, it's not nearly the same. Had to pass on my OU season tickets which I've had for years.

Fauci said today that we shouldn't expect any degree of normalcy to return before the end of 2021. The whole thing is just depressing.I’ve really felt from the “tone” of many of your posts as this has gone on that it’s getting to you. And with your lines of business and the circles it has you connected to I can especially see why it would. I have and will continue to send positive thoughts your way.

Pete
09-11-2020, 12:49 PM
I’ve really felt from the “tone” of many of your posts as this has gone on that it’s getting to you. And with your lines of business and the circles it has you connected to I can especially see why it would. I have and will continue to send positive thoughts your way.

That's very kind.

I'm an extrovert and it's particularly hard on those of us who draw energy from other people. I've been experiencing something akin to a low-level depression for months.

And of course, I'm very worried about my business, especially because no one can even see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But beyond all that, I am legitimately concerned for the health and economic prosperity for the entire U.S. I've been heavily involved in business my entire adult life and have been saying from the outset we'll be dealing with the after effects for years to come. I still truly believe that things are going to get worse before we get back on the long, slow path to recovery.

Pete
09-11-2020, 12:49 PM
I’ve really felt from the “tone” of many of your posts as this has gone on that it’s getting to you. And with your lines of business and the circles it has you connected to I can especially see why it would. I have and will continue to send positive thoughts your way.

That's very kind.

I'm an extrovert and it's particularly hard on those of us who draw energy from other people. I've been experiencing something akin to a low-level depression for months.

And of course, I'm very worried about my business, especially because no one can even see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But beyond all that, I am legitimately concerned for the health and economic prosperity for the entire U.S. I've been heavily involved in business my entire adult life and have been saying from the outset we'll be dealing with the after effects for years to come. I still truly believe that things are going to get worse before we get back on the long, slow path to recovery.

Pete
09-11-2020, 01:04 PM
I will add that all this makes me furious about how the virus has been handled in this country and state.

I understand it's a tough situation but too many of our leaders have misled the public and set a very bad example which has made things much worse than it should have been.

It's also why I have zero patience for those who want to keep minimizing things and/or enabling the fools that have got us into this mess in the first place.

We have an entire staff of very highly-regarded experts who have been providing great, educated advice based on hard science, yet half the population would rather believe something they saw on Facebook or Youtube or some dubious website.

The answers have always been clear and pretty straight-forward and will remain so. It only gets muddled due to politics and then the blind allegiance to the same.

RangersYear
09-11-2020, 01:19 PM
We just went to a restaurant for the first time in 6 months. We sat on the patio at Bellini's and felt safe, as the tables were distanced and servers were wearing masks. I will say that such a simple event was very good for our psyche. I'm not ready to sit inside a restaurant just yet, but now that the weather isn't so stifling, I'm going to enjoy outside dining more.

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Like Pete was just posting about I can’t wait to go out to eat and not just do curbside. But it’s going to be awhile. The last time I’ve been inside a restaurant was March 11 to watch the Thunder game that was postponed. That’s also the night and place I’m sure I contracted the virus. So I’m eating out when I’m confident that there’s virtually no chance if getting it again. It would be just my luck to be one of the rare ones that seem to be getting it a second time. I guess that’s the main reason why when trends seem to be going down I grab onto the positive. Because I want so badly for the numbers to start going down.

Pete
09-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Apart from my own self-interests, it's very hard to see so many people I know trying to keep their heads above water.

These are people, like myself, who have chosen to invest heavily in this community and are now suffering greatly.

And on top of all that, for decades we've been building a foundation and great momentum in OKC and all that has come to a screaching halt.

All of this would be much easier to take if we knew there was an end in sight, but I fully expect this winter to be very bad.

My hope is that we get a vaccine after the first of the year then slowly start to dig ourselves out of this disaster.

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Apart from my own self-interests, it's very hard to see so many people I know trying to keep their heads above water.

These are people, like myself, who have chosen to invest heavily in this community and are now suffering greatly.

And on top of all that, for decades we've been building a foundation and great momentum in OKC and all that has come to a screaching halt.

All of this would be much easier to take if we knew there was an end in sight, but I fully expect this winter to be very bad.

My hope is that we get a vaccine after the first of the year then slowly start to dig ourselves out of this disaster.
The first two paragraphs are outside of my world.
The last three I agree with completely.

RustytheBailiff
09-11-2020, 02:50 PM
When it comes to this issue, it's 99% political.

The only reason anyone even knows about these reports is that one of them was leaked after our governor chose to conceal them.

Yes, that is a story that seems to have only lasted a day in local media outlet, why isn't aren't people a little more concerned about that?

Having to live through a pandemic is bad enough, but when you cannot trust your government to honestly report on the situation makes it exponentially worse.

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Yes, that is a story that seems to have only lasted a day in local media outlet, why isn't aren't people a little more concerned about that?

Having to live through a pandemic is bad enough, but when you cannot trust your government to honestly report on the situation makes it exponentially worse.
I think maybe the story died because the media knew the governor isn’t going to change course. The only option we have is to make sure he isn’t re-elected.

David
09-11-2020, 04:02 PM
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/social-media/mm6937e3_COVID19OutbreaksChildCare_IMAGE_11Sept20_ 1200x675-medium.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937e3.htm?s_cid=mm6937e3_w

So much for any idea that kids somehow magically won't be carriers back home to their family members.

king183
09-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Tulsa and OKC aren't following the White House guidelines, either.

Bars are still open and many are crowded, dining rooms operating at higher than 25% capacity, schools and churches excepted from masks, etc.

I went by Frida last night to pick up food and I was stunned when I went in that it was open at full capacity and all tables were filled, including a large party of 12 right in the middle of the dining room. I guess people have given up on even trying.

Pete
09-12-2020, 12:31 PM
I went by Frida last night to pick up food and I was stunned when I went in that it was open at full capacity and all tables were filled, including a large party of 12 right in the middle of the dining room. I guess people have given up on even trying.

They took some tables out and the remainder are well-spaced.

Pete
09-12-2020, 12:33 PM
1,017 new cases today; 782 7-day rolling average.

11 additional reported deaths.

jdizzle
09-12-2020, 12:38 PM
Numbers are going to increase, given rapid tests being included. Makes you wonder what the #s would be, overall, if they had been included all along.

king183
09-12-2020, 01:33 PM
They took some tables out and the remainder are well-spaced.

Well, I wish I had a picture to show, because last night was absolutely not well spaced. That party of 12 was abutting at least 6 other tables within 3-4 feet. The bar was full, though there were some spaces here and there.

Pete
09-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Numbers are going to increase, given rapid tests being included. Makes you wonder what the #s would be, overall, if they had been included all along.

Numbers were rising before.

I don't want to hear about this as an excuse for the # of cases going up. That is yet another deflection when we are still racking up 1,000 new results a day. Positive cases are positive cases, period.

soonerguru
09-12-2020, 02:18 PM
I will add that all this makes me furious about how the virus has been handled in this country and state.

I understand it's a tough situation but too many of our leaders have misled the public and set a very bad example which has made things much worse than it should have been.

It's also why I have zero patience for those who want to keep minimizing things and/or enabling the fools that have got us into this mess in the first place.

We have an entire staff of very highly-regarded experts who have been providing great, educated advice based on hard science, yet half the population would rather believe something they saw on Facebook or Youtube or some dubious website.

The answers have always been clear and pretty straight-forward and will remain so. It only gets muddled due to politics and then the blind allegiance to the same.

This represents my thoughts and feelings 100%. Hell awaits the leader(s) who KNEW the severity of this and intentionally misled the public about it, leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths and unnecessary economic ruin. It is absolutely one of the saddest chapters in American history, a period that will be defined by avarice, duplicity, and naked self interest, not to mention rudderless, incompetent leadership.

The only thing that will change this other than a vaccine is to dump the leaders who have failed.

d-usa
09-12-2020, 02:24 PM

I don't want to hear about this as an excuse for the # of cases going up. That is yet another deflection when we are still racking up 1,000 new results a day. Positive cases are positive cases, period.

And the probable cases have always been positive cases that should have been counted from day 1. That refusal, and the decision to label known positive infections cases as “probable” cases for whatever reason, just opened the situation up for the argument that probable cases aren’t real or they would have been counted all along.

It’s a self inflicted injury by our state.

jonny d
09-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Not deflecting at all. Your hostility is putting words in my mouth. I was simply wondering where the numbers would be if we had included them all along. It is PERFECTLY logical to note that adding more tests will lead to more positives. So I am wishing we had an apples to apples comparison.

Pete
09-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Not deflecting at all. Your hostility is putting words in my mouth. I was simply wondering where the numbers would be if we had included them all along. It is PERFECTLY logical to note that adding more tests will lead to more positives. So I am wishing we had an apples to apples comparison.

The old multiple-account ruse and not even smart enough to log back into the right sock before pitching a fit.

d-usa
09-12-2020, 04:46 PM
What is important enough here to sock-puppet?

Bill Robertson
09-12-2020, 05:21 PM
I wasn’t planning on shelling out 40 bucks to watch OU but ended up doing it at the last minute. I’m extremely disappointed with the lack of mask wearing on the sidelines and in the stands. Not really surprised, just disappointed. Especially when reports were that OU just had enough eligible players to play the game. Their crowd plan doesn’t look to be working either. There are sections that are empty and sections that are mostly full. Like people are sitting wherever they want. It seems like nobody takes this seriously.

soonerguru
09-12-2020, 08:24 PM
I wasn’t planning on shelling out 40 bucks to watch OU but ended up doing it at the last minute. I’m extremely disappointed with the lack of mask wearing on the sidelines and in the stands. Not really surprised, just disappointed. Especially when reports were that OU just had enough eligible players to play the game. Their crowd plan doesn’t look to be working either. There are sections that are empty and sections that are mostly full. Like people are sitting wherever they want. It seems like nobody takes this seriously.

I thought OU's mask adherence was the best among the games I watched today.

Thomas Vu
09-12-2020, 08:53 PM
The old multiple-account ruse and not even smart enough to log back into the right sock before pitching a fit.

Can't believe people have burners here of all places.

PhiAlpha
09-13-2020, 07:19 AM
That's very kind.

I’m right there with you.

Bill Robertson
09-13-2020, 08:03 AM
I thought OU's mask adherence was the best among the games I watched today.Then the others must have been REALLY bad.

Pete
09-13-2020, 11:12 AM
695 new cases today, the most on a Sunday since 7/26. 7-day rolling average is 821.

6 more reported deaths, the most ever for a Sunday.

BG918
09-13-2020, 12:46 PM
I thought OU's mask adherence was the best among the games I watched today.

Agree OU was definitely better than the ones I saw, but of course that is anecdotal because I was not actually at any of the games. To think you'll have everyone wearing masks and social distancing is about as naive as thinking college students across the country will do the same. Not going to happen.

I think at this point we'll be limping along for at least another year maybe longer. No one wants to take it seriously. If we had this spring and early summer we would probably be close to normal by now. But our elected leaders are morons.

soonerguru
09-13-2020, 01:08 PM
On September 11 of this year, 1094 Americans died of COVID-19. And, was it, 13 Oklahomans?

On the same date, ZERO, that's right, ZERO Canadians died.

Anyone trying to suggest that this state and nation haven't completely bungled the response to COVID-19 is delusional.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/canada-zero-coronavirus-covid-deaths-first-time/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=99468116

soonerguru
09-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Agree OU was definitely better than the ones I saw, but of course that is anecdotal because I was not actually at any of the games. To think you'll have everyone wearing masks and social distancing is about as naive as thinking college students across the country will do the same. Not going to happen.

I think at this point we'll be limping along for at least another year maybe longer. No one wants to take it seriously. If we had this spring and early summer we would probably be close to normal by now. But our elected leaders are morons.

At least one of those leaders knew about the threat but decided to lie about it instead.

BDP
09-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Face masks could be giving people Covid-19 immunity, researchers suggest. Mask wearing might also be reducing the severity of the virus and ensuring that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/face-masks-could-giving-people-covid-19-immunity-researchers/)

... increasing evidence suggests that the amount of virus someone is exposed to at the start of infection - the “infectious dose” - may determine the severity of their illness. Indeed, a large study published in the Lancet last month found that “viral load at diagnosis” was an “independent predictor of mortality” in hospital patients.

Wearing masks could therefore reduce the infectious dose that the wearer is exposed to and, subsequently, the impact of the disease, as masks filter out some virus-containing droplets.

BDP
09-13-2020, 05:18 PM
I wasnÂ’t planning on shelling out 40 bucks to watch OU but ended up doing it at the last minute. IÂ’m extremely disappointed with the lack of mask wearing on the sidelines and in the stands. Not really surprised, just disappointed.

The almost comical (almost) part of it is watching a lot coaches and staff wear masks or neck gaiters, except when talking to players, refs, etc. in close proximity.

They might as well not wear them at all.

I'm happy to watch some football on TV, but it has been, at best, a display of a lack of understanding of how airborne contagions work.

I kind of thought they'd be super strict about it, because they have a lot to lose if there is a lot of community spread among fans or players tied to the games, but maybe apathy as an ideology has really taken hold.

Bill Robertson
09-13-2020, 05:39 PM
The almost comical (almost) part of it is watching a lot coaches and staff wear masks or neck gaiters, except when talking to players, refs, etc. in close proximity.

They might as well not wear them at all.

I'm happy to watch some football on TV, but it has been, at best, a display of a lack of understanding of how airborne contagions work.

I kind of thought they'd be super strict about it, because they have a lot to lose if there is a lot of community spread among fans or players tied to the games, but maybe apathy as an ideology has really taken hold.
Exactly! First there’s the coaches mask pulling that you noted. Then, I heard/read all about cloth or plexiglass guards that were developed for the players. Nope, regular face guards only. OU didn’t monitor or regulate attendance seating at all from the crowd shots. And since having FB games with fans is a major income source for major colleges one would think for that reason precautions would be taken seriously. But no. It’s like everyone has their head stuck in the sand thinking this crap will just go away.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 08:21 AM
I'm all for mask but they not really the answer. Too many people just don't wear them properly or don't wear them at all. The best thing we need to be doing is social distancing and staying 6 feet apart from one another. I might go to the casino next week. First time going anywhere and I'm planning on wearing a mask but also planning on having no one come 6 feet near me. If I'm at a machine and someone else comes sit by me I'll leave and go somewhere else.

David
09-14-2020, 08:28 AM
Every person wearing their masks helps, 100% compliance would be great, but 95% compliance is still pretty good and is not just wasted effort because of the idiot 5%.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 08:31 AM
On September 11 of this year, 1094 Americans died of COVID-19. And, was it, 13 Oklahomans?

On the same date, ZERO, that's right, ZERO Canadians died.

Anyone trying to suggest that this state and nation haven't completely bungled the response to COVID-19 is delusional.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/canada-zero-coronavirus-covid-deaths-first-time/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=99468116

Only problem I have and it's horrible so many are dying but we also have way more population so of course we will have more deaths. We are currently 9th in deaths per capital and Russia and China are not in the top 10 please. Also Mexico has been lying about their numbers https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

We are still going to be number 1 though most likely

RustytheBailiff
09-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Every person wearing their masks helps, 100% compliance would be great, but 95% compliance is still pretty good and is not just wasted effort because of the idiot 5%.

I was at the USPS location at 50th and Shartel early this morning, out of the two postal employees, one had a mask around her neck and the other had no mask at all. Of the three customers other than myself, two were wearing masks. Why are people so ignorant?

Pete
09-14-2020, 10:18 AM
869 new cases today, the most on a Monday since 7/27. 7-day rolling average is now 858, creeping back into near all-time high territory.

Zero additional reported deaths.

OKCretro
09-14-2020, 10:20 AM
where are we at for hospitalizations?

i don't know where to find that statistic

Rover
09-14-2020, 11:12 AM
I was at the USPS location at 50th and Shartel early this morning, out of the two postal employees, one had a mask around her neck and the other had no mask at all. Of the three customers other than myself, two were wearing masks. Why are people so ignorant?

Found this to be true in every post office I've been to. Postal employees don't seem to be masking.

TheTravellers
09-14-2020, 11:18 AM
Found this to be true in every post office I've been to. Postal employees don't seem to be masking.

I believe that since Post Offices are federal buildings, the only mask mandate that would apply to them would be a federal one and we all know.... Having said that, they should do the right thing and wear masks, but we all know.....

Pete
09-14-2020, 11:45 AM
where are we at for hospitalizations?

i don't know where to find that statistic

499 as of today.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 12:01 PM
499 as of today.

That's probably the only Positive is that the Hospitalizations are not going up. It's been what since Mid July since cases started to hit 1,000. So 2 months and sure hospitalization went up but they still manageable. That being said it's most likely due to the fact younger people are getting it.

OKC Talker
09-14-2020, 02:25 PM
https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/3573/5296

Oklahoma City Manager Craig Freeman tests positive for COVID-19
Post Date:09/14/2020 3:10 PM
Oklahoma City Manager Craig Freeman is in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19.

Freeman got tested after experiencing allergy-like symptoms, headache and fatigue, and losing his sense of taste over the weekend. He was notified Sunday that he tested positive for the virus.

With mild symptoms, Freeman is continuing to work from home while in quarantine and will consult with his physician as necessary.

“COVID-19 presents a real threat to everyone,” said Freeman. “Please wear a mask and take the virus seriously. The worst part about this is not knowing if I passed coronavirus on to others.”

The City has a screening, testing and contact tracing program for City employees, which Freeman used for the test. City Hall staff members who recently came into contact with Freeman for more than 15 minutes plan to get tested. Others who came into contact with Freeman have also been notified. The City’s program is administered jointly by the Office of Emergency Management, Risk Management and the Fire Department.

Freeman said he does not know where he contracted the virus.

The City Manager is the chief administrative officer in the City’s Council-Manager form of government. The City Manager reports to the City Council.

Visit covid19.okc.gov for more on the coronavirus in Oklahoma City.

Pete
09-14-2020, 02:50 PM
^

Freeman is very involved in the Baptist church.

If he's been attending services that would be a good place to start testing people.

soonerguru
09-14-2020, 04:03 PM
I'm all for mask but they not really the answer. Too many people just don't wear them properly or don't wear them at all. The best thing we need to be doing is social distancing and staying 6 feet apart from one another. I might go to the casino next week. First time going anywhere and I'm planning on wearing a mask but also planning on having no one come 6 feet near me. If I'm at a machine and someone else comes sit by me I'll leave and go somewhere else.

Six feet is general guidance but it is probably not enough. Also, live your life as you choose but visiting a casino in this state is not a good idea right now.

Bill Robertson
09-14-2020, 04:34 PM
^

Freeman is very involved in the Baptist church.

If he's been attending services that would be a good place to start testing people.
Exactly. We’re watching online services of our church and the shots they show of the crowd are exactly why we’re not going back live until this is completely over.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 04:35 PM
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/14/pitt-scientists-discover-biomolecule-that-may-neutralize-coronavirus/

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 04:38 PM
Six feet is general guidance but it is probably not enough. Also, live your life as you choose but visiting a casino in this state is not a good idea right now.

I hear what your saying but how is it any different then visiting a walmart, target, or going out to eat? You can easily social distance in a casino if you go at the right time of the day. I would think it would actually be safer than most places. If your in a grocery aisle and people coming at you in two different directions your trapped in the middle. At the casino someone sits next to you get up and leave move somewhere else. That being said yeah no way in hell i would go on a Friday or Saturday night.

Has anyone on here been to a casino lately? Did you feel safe?

oklip955
09-14-2020, 05:41 PM
Tell me out the grocery shopping being not safe. I behind (social distance of around 10 ft) of a lady in front of me at the grocery store. Larger lady and older. A younger couple came up and was trying to push my cart aside. I use it for support for my bad knee. I wound up taking a step back and falling backwards. Folks just don't care if you are older, they are going to push through and push you out of the way. Last week at the same store, I was picking up a block of cheese in the cooler area. A tall man got be hind be and reached around me with his arms. I felt a body behind me and turned around and again fell. How is right for a man to basically bear hug a women from behind in a grocery store.? Let alone social distance. People have no manners or common sense. Its just about them. This is not in a bad neighborhood but in Edmond. Its getting to be unsafe (forget the covid 19) for older ladies to shop.

Scott5114
09-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Prior to this past July, I worked at a metro-area casino for 10˝ years. I was so disgusted by how they were handling the pandemic that I resigned in protest. From what I've heard from my former coworkers, it's gotten worse since I left.

Remember, Oklahoma casinos allow smoking, and unlike in Atlantic City, that hasn't changed because of the pandemic. All of that smoke has been in someone's lungs, and if they have covid, it's mixed in there too. There's no way to smoke with a face mask on.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Prior to this past July, I worked at a metro-area casino for 10˝ years. I was so disgusted by how they were handling the pandemic that I resigned in protest. From what I've heard from my former coworkers, it's gotten worse since I left.

Remember, Oklahoma casinos allow smoking, and unlike in Atlantic City, that hasn't changed because of the pandemic. All of that smoke has been in someone's lungs, and if they have covid, it's mixed in there too. There's no way to smoke with a face mask on.

Didn't some of the casino band smoking? I thought some of them were going non smoking or is that just not enforced? I'm sure it's like the stores. Some casinos are probably doing better job enforcing mask than others. Keep 10 feet distance keep my mask on

soonerguru
09-14-2020, 07:42 PM
I hear what your saying but how is it any different then visiting a walmart, target, or going out to eat? You can easily social distance in a casino if you go at the right time of the day. I would think it would actually be safer than most places. If your in a grocery aisle and people coming at you in two different directions your trapped in the middle. At the casino someone sits next to you get up and leave move somewhere else. That being said yeah no way in hell i would go on a Friday or Saturday night.

Has anyone on here been to a casino lately? Did you feel safe?

These are different things. Going to the grocery store you are only having brief encounters. If customers are masked and just passing each other in aisles the likelihood of spread is low, because you are not in a setting in which you are encountering the transmitter for 15 minutes. Dining inside a restaurant is a bad idea because, 1) you cannot wear a mask when you are eating, and 2) You are inside an enclosed environment for a prolonged period of time with recirculated air.

A casino may be better but the "every other machine" approach seems more like a feel-good measure than a valid safety protocol, similar to taking temperature checks. I guess you may be right if you go when the casino is empty, but in my experience they are not empty, and to be honest the people (unlike yourself) who go to casinos don't strike me as being very health conscious. I also have people constantly invading my space when I have been in the past.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 08:37 PM
These are different things. Going to the grocery store you are only having brief encounters. If customers are masked and just passing each other in aisles the likelihood of spread is low, because you are not in a setting in which you are encountering the transmitter for 15 minutes. Dining inside a restaurant is a bad idea because, 1) you cannot wear a mask when you are eating, and 2) You are inside an enclosed environment for a prolonged period of time with recirculated air.

A casino may be better but the "every other machine" approach seems more like a feel-good measure than a valid safety protocol, similar to taking temperature checks. I guess you may be right if you go when the casino is empty, but in my experience they are not empty, and to be honest the people (unlike yourself) who go to casinos don't strike me as being very health conscious. I also have people constantly invading my space when I have been in the past.

Once again i hear you but have you ever been to a casino in the middle of the day during the week. They can be pretty empty. Also if someone sits beside me i will just get up and go play somewhere else. Trust me if i don't feel safe I won't stay. Only thing i worry about the most is the smoking. I need to find out which ones have no smoking. I know grand as a pretty big non smoking area. Not sure if riverwind is allowing smoking. New Castle is nothing but smoke. That is not on my list of possible places. Right now it's Casino Oklahoma in Hinton. Grand Casino or Riverwind. Both Grand and Riverwind always seem cleaner to me than new castle or remington park. Lucky Star is also nothing but smoke. I started another tread to see if anyone has gone. I haven't been in a casino since February. Just have the day off tomorrow looking for something to do since it's been 7 months since I have done anything. I'll do some more research though.

Bunty
09-14-2020, 08:43 PM
I'd rather blow my money at a restaurant than a casino. So I go out to a restaurant once or twice a week and always go around 5pm or a little before when it's not very busy. Since the majority of tables aren't taken then, I feel reasonably safe. It's an important consideration since I read somewhere that people who tested positive for the virus were twice as likely to have recently eaten at a restaurant than people who tested negative.

One restaurant I like decided to open all its booths by putting up two foot high or so wooden partitions between them. I hope that is effective in blocking the virus. Formerly, it only opened half its booths to establish proper distancing. This is at Mexico Joe's in Stillwater. It's still bad how it dropped happy hour and don't offer their delicious tortilla soup any more. Oh, well, it was a little too salty, anyway.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 09:06 PM
https://www.pittwire.pitt.edu/news/pitt-scientists-discover-tiny-antibody-component-highly-effective-preventing-and-treating-sars How soon until we can start testing.

kukblue1
09-14-2020, 09:07 PM
I'd rather blow my money at a restaurant than a casino. So I go out to a restaurant once or twice a week and always go around 5pm or a little before when it's not very busy. Since the majority of tables aren't taken then, I feel reasonably safe. It's an important consideration since I read somewhere that people who tested positive for the virus were twice as likely to have recently eaten at a restaurant than people who tested negative.

One restaurant I like decided to open all its booths by putting up two foot high or so wooden partitions between them. I hope that is effective in blocking the virus. Formerly, it only opened half its booths to establish proper distancing. This is at Mexico Joe's in Stillwater. It's still bad how it dropped happy hour and don't offer their delicious tortilla soup any more. Oh, well, it was a little too salty, anyway.

Like the one poster that worked at the casino and said it was not clean I have worked in food service for 30 plus years and eat out is the last thing I would do. LOL I guess we all have different options which is fine.

soonerguru
09-14-2020, 10:24 PM
Interesting piece about Covid-19 cases and restaurants.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/515923-cdc-report-dining-out-increases-risk-of-contracting-coronavirus-more-than?fbclid=IwAR0P6Mta1rf9SQcQSGyb8-p96aNRYNO4V3bXdTadG0IzuIu4icMIXxAR4-o

Bunty
09-14-2020, 11:53 PM
As I see it, as long as prominent well known people, such as the Oklahoma City manager and the governor, are going to come down with no worse problems than having nasal allergies and headaches from being infected with COVID-19 and can stay out of the hospital, the more and more people are not going to take COVID-19 seriously.

If there really are a lot of formerly infected COVID people suffering from lingering serious side effects even after testing negative, then the media ought to do a better job of reporting them, though, not sure how many such people would want to be publicly candid about that.