View Full Version : Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

mkjeeves
08-20-2021, 09:52 AM
RE booster morality…

It may not kill or send you (previously vaccinated) to the hospital but when you leave yourself open to being a disease host, you are part of the problem in containing the disease and preventing the development of new variants that can impact others.

We can make us/them nuance arguments all day, but the vaccine and infrastructure to get it in our arms are here. We can step up and do our part AND work towards getting the world vaccinated.

Pete
08-20-2021, 09:53 AM
^

Right on.

Pete
08-20-2021, 10:06 AM
2,851 new cases reported today.

7-day average now 2,220.

Hospitalizations are 1,487 (+72).

ICU is 398 (+19).

Pete
08-20-2021, 10:10 AM
For the week:

15,542 new cases compared to the last several weeks: 14,851; 13,348; 9,459; 6,559; 3,925; 1,648.

New cases increased by 4.7% from last week.

106 additional reported deaths; last several weeks: 80, 40, 42, 23, 26, 24, 26.

Hospitalizations were +161.

ICU was +38.

oklip955
08-20-2021, 10:23 AM
Just wondering about what stores are now requiring masks. I am not going out very often and then trying to do only curbside pickup. I do see more people wearing masks going into some places. I would think that soon many will. I hate to think about what the numbers will be next week.

Pete
08-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Just wondering about what stores are now requiring masks. I am not going out very often and then trying to do only curbside pickup. I do see more people wearing masks going into some places. I would think that soon many will. I hate to think about what the numbers will be next week.

The Sam's Club at 39th & May was strongly requesting everyone wear a mask. When I walked in without one, the person at the door handed me a paper mask and asked me to wear it. Everyone in the store was wearing a mask.

Midtowner
08-20-2021, 10:38 AM
Not disagreeing with the experts at all. However, there is a lot of debate among epidemiologists about whether boosters are needed yet. But if a consensus develops that booster shots are needed then I certainly trust that. My concern is purely moral. Should I get a third vaccine shot before others get their first? I do not.

There is consensus, or at least a CDC recommendation:

The available data make very clear that protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection begins to decrease over time following the initial doses of vaccination, and in association with the dominance of the Delta variant, we are starting to see evidence of reduced protection against mild and moderate disease. Based on our latest assessment, the current protection against severe disease, hospitalization, and death could diminish in the months ahead, especially among those who are at higher risk or were vaccinated during the earlier phases of the vaccination rollout. For that reason, we conclude that a booster shot will be needed to maximize vaccine-induced protection and prolong its durability.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0818-covid-19-booster-shots.html

I disagree. Every person deserves their health and dignity. If millions of booster shots go to Americans, it will likely delay distribution to poorer countries. I don’t believe my life is more important than someone who was born in a different country. Moreover, millions of doses of vaccines are even being produced in countries like South Africa and then shipped to European countries. It’s wrong.

Many poorer countries are going to lack the infrastructure to widely distribute vaccines as these vaccines must be stored under very specific conditions. I also believe we can walk and chew gum--that it isn't necessarily an either/or choice in receiving boosters while delivering doses internationally.

Theoretically, everyone absolutely deserves their health and human dignity, but also, I paid taxes here and my country invested vast amounts of time and treasure in these vaccines, and we as Americans are more deserving of reaping the rewards as those in developing countries. It's just like being in an airplane with a compromised cabin--you put your mask first so that you can help everyone else.

Bill Robertson
08-20-2021, 10:46 AM
Just wondering about what stores are now requiring masks. I am not going out very often and then trying to do only curbside pickup. I do see more people wearing masks going into some places. I would think that soon many will. I hate to think about what the numbers will be next week.There was a list on the news that had Walmart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's and Costco now back to requiring employees to wear masks and encouraging customers to. And I've seen signs back up at a few places I've been saying the same.

d-usa
08-20-2021, 03:04 PM
It is also worth noting that the two vaccines authorized for boosters are also the two vaccines with harder storage and handling requirements, and with administration requirements that double the logistics required for administering it in underdeveloped and remote areas.

If you can keep cold storage requirements intact to remote areas, and get the staff together for mass vaccinations there, and if you can get everybody living in different parts of that remote area to show up to get the vaccine, then you can give the first dose of a two dose regimen. But then you have to be able to repeat it all again in 21 or 28 days, and hope the people in those remote areas are able to show up again, and that no new people show up who wouldn’t be able to finish a series if they got one shot. It’s a logistical nightmare that increases the risk of partially vaccinated people and vaccine resistance.

Even just needing simple refrigeration can make it very hard to send vaccines to remote areas. It is better to use these vaccines where the infrastructure is in place, and send single dose vaccines to areas in need.

dankrutka
08-20-2021, 03:23 PM

CDC recommendations do not equate to consensus. The CDC is a very important institutional guide for the public. But they also have made recommendations that were widely unpopular in the epidemiological community (e.g., people don't need masks early in the pandemic, extremely delayed recognition of aerosols as primary means of spread). Just because the CDC said it does not mean there's a consensus among experts.

Many poorer countries are going to lack the infrastructure to widely distribute vaccines as these vaccines must be stored under very specific conditions. I also believe we can walk and chew gum--that it isn't necessarily an either/or choice in receiving boosters while delivering doses internationally.

South Africa produced Johnson & Johnson vaccines that do not require difficult storage. Their citizens and government wanted the vaccines and were able to distribute them. They were shipped to other countries. It's just neocolonialism.

Theoretically, everyone absolutely deserves their health and human dignity, but also, I paid taxes here and my country invested vast amounts of time and treasure in these vaccines, and we as Americans are more deserving of reaping the rewards as those in developing countries. It's just like being in an airplane with a compromised cabin--you put your mask first so that you can help everyone else.

This rationale is exactly what I disagree with. The metaphor doesn't make any sense. A better metaphor would be you taking your neighbors mask and having two while they suffocate.

It is also worth noting that the two vaccines authorized for boosters are also the two vaccines with harder storage and handling requirements, and with administration requirements that double the logistics required for administering it in underdeveloped and remote areas.

This is, of course, an important reality. If it is only logistically possible for some areas to get J&J then maybe these issues can be separated. But, that does not seem to the case.

soonerguru
08-20-2021, 03:59 PM
This is not a binary choice. I will be getting my booster as soon as I am able, and I'm grateful as an American that I will be given a greater chance of survival and avoiding hospitalization as a result. No guilt whatsoever.

I also support the US -- as well as other wealthy nations -- working to get vaccines in arms around the world. It would be much easier to do so if 40 percent of Americans weren't knuckledragging selfish morons and had gotten vaccinated when they were able to do so.

David
08-20-2021, 04:02 PM
The F.D.A. is aiming to give full approval to Pfizer’s Covid vaccine on Monday (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/politics/fda-pfizer-covid-vaccine-full-approval.html?referringSource=articleShare)

The Food and Drug Administration is pushing to approve Pfizer-BioNTech’s two-dose Covid-19 vaccine on Monday, further expediting an earlier timeline for licensing the shot, according to people familiar with the agency’s planning.

C_M_25
08-20-2021, 06:36 PM
Has there been any discussion regarding how quickly this delta variant burns through the population? Seems like in Europe and India, this thing peaked hard and fast then it fell just as quickly. I don’t want people to get sick but hopefully we can hit some sort of herd immunity soon.

PoliSciGuy
08-20-2021, 08:01 PM
The UK would indicate otherwise. They rose hard, fell a bit, but now are experiencing another big rise

soonerguru
08-20-2021, 08:40 PM
Has there been any discussion regarding how quickly this delta variant burns through the population? Seems like in Europe and India, this thing peaked hard and fast then it fell just as quickly. I don’t want people to get sick but hopefully we can hit some sort of herd immunity soon.

More deflection?

C_M_25
08-21-2021, 09:56 AM
More deflection?

No, not at all. I have some plans later this fall and I would prefer if they remain intact. In other words, I’m hoping this wave will peak quickly and drop just as fast.

Thanks for your contribution though…

Roger S
08-21-2021, 11:38 AM
No, not at all. I have some plans later this fall and I would prefer if they remain intact. In other words, I’m hoping this wave will peak quickly and drop just as fast.

Right there with ya.... Took it upon myself to be very responsible through all this and was ready to get out and enjoy some mountain biking and BBQ in North Carolina we planned while the numbers were down and now the numbers are looking like it's just going to be mountain biking and cooking at the air B& B because too many people won't take this seriously...... Had also just felt comfortable enough to start going out for meals with other vaccinated friends again and now that's off the table as well.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
08-21-2021, 06:57 PM
It appears the booster business is largely going to be run by CVS and Walgreens, at least when I searched.

Best I can tell is, so long as 28 days have elapsed, one is able to book a 3rd shot through these private business portals.

For example, CVS asks you to input the date of your last shot, then let's you pick an appointment.

https://www.vaccines.gov/

oklip955
08-21-2021, 08:30 PM
Worldmeter is reporting 2988 cases for today. Oh no.

Cocaine
08-22-2021, 10:02 AM

Poorer countries are primarily using Astra Zeneca, Sinopharm, sputnik and Covax. They're also using pfizer and moderna but a little less but I'm sure their use will expand later this year. But from the looks of it the developing countries will get hit hard by covid for the rest of the year due to low vaccination rates. Most of them are much younger so they can handle it but it'll still get bad.

Pete
08-23-2021, 07:51 AM
FDA just announced full approval of the Pfizer vaccine.

Likely to trigger more vaccination mandates, such as military personnel.

David
08-23-2021, 08:03 AM
I'm really curious how this will interact with the laws that got passed that made mandates illegal in various places, primarily the Oklahoma law.

David
08-23-2021, 08:22 AM
For example, government and government associated Texan entities may be free and clear to start requiring it:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9ezHpOUcBIjv2u?format=jpg&name=small

FighttheGoodFight
08-23-2021, 08:24 AM
I'm really curious how this will interact with the laws that got passed that made mandates illegal in various places, primarily the Oklahoma law.

They will go to court and most likely lose. There is precedent for vaccine mandates. I think we will start to see more of it.

soonerguru
08-23-2021, 08:55 AM
What will be the next anti-Covid vax hill to die on now that the FDA has given Pfizer full approval (as opposed to the Emergency approval they granted earlier)? Will be interesting to see how the goalposts are moved.

Hey, for those who said they would wait until FDA approval, may I help you set an appointment for the shot? TIA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/23/pfizer-vaccine-full-approval/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0iFUrF3EUg6amPHSPAQp_RiaSSMeX-FytoKAHIz6grrey_UupCqpogu34

BoulderSooner
08-23-2021, 08:59 AM
What will be the next anti-Covid vax hill to die on now that the FDA has given Pfizer full approval (as opposed to the Emergency approval they granted earlier)? Will be interesting to see how the goalposts are moved.

Hey, for those who said they would wait until FDA approval, may I help you set an appointment for the shot? TIA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/23/pfizer-vaccine-full-approval/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0iFUrF3EUg6amPHSPAQp_RiaSSMeX-FytoKAHIz6grrey_UupCqpogu34

hopefully the Moderna is close behind in FDA approval .. and hopefully the NOVAVAX is approved world wide soon ..

Pete
08-23-2021, 10:07 AM
6,218 new cases for the 3-day period; last several Mondays: 6,967; 6,328; 5,597; 3,669; 2,126; 1,211; 1,041; 580.

7-day average down slightly to 2,113.

Hospitalizations are 1,469 (-18).

ICU is 404 (+6).

catch22
08-23-2021, 10:39 AM
My company (United) will be requiring vaccines for all employees by October. Amazing how many people are throwing a fit about it and are prepared to be terminated because they don’t want to get it. It’s a well paying, union job with great benefits. Just get the vaccine!

FighttheGoodFight
08-23-2021, 10:43 AM
6,218 new cases for the 3-day period; last several Mondays: 6,967; 6,328; 5,597; 3,669; 2,126; 1,211; 1,041; 580.

ICU is 404 (+6).

Lets hope for a flattening or even decreasing number for the next few weeks. I fear we might go up again with school open but hoping for the best that we have gotten to a plateau.

C_M_25
08-23-2021, 11:41 AM
Are the numbers posted today only for Saturday and Sunday? I’m confused if they’re including Friday in that number or not.

BoulderSooner
08-23-2021, 11:47 AM
Are the numbers posted today only for Saturday and Sunday? I’m confused if they’re including Friday in that number or not.

Friday Saturday and Sunday

Pete
08-23-2021, 11:54 AM
Friday Saturday and Sunday

Actually, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

Plutonic Panda
08-23-2021, 12:01 PM
Will J&J be approved? That is the vaccine I took.

turnpup
08-23-2021, 12:28 PM
My company (United) will be requiring vaccines for all employees by October. Amazing how many people are throwing a fit about it and are prepared to be terminated because they don’t want to get it. It’s a well paying, union job with great benefits. Just get the vaccine!

Has your union taken an official stance on the vaccine mandates? Just curious how/if this has factored into the collective bargaining process.

FighttheGoodFight
08-23-2021, 12:37 PM
Will J&J be approved? That is the vaccine I took.

Probably in about 2 months. That is when the filed for EUA after Pfizer.

catch22
08-23-2021, 12:46 PM
Has your union taken an official stance on the vaccine mandates? Just curious how/if this has factored into the collective bargaining process.

The pilots and flight attendants union are in full support of the mandate. The union I am in that represents ground workers (customer service, ramp, stores (parts stock for maintenance)) has taken the stance that it is not a winnable fight. The company is within their right in all 50 states. They will of course still file a grievance for every termination as that is what they are paid to do, and it basically keeps the door open for terminations to be reversed if some future court ruling allows for that. But the union has basically told us to get vaccinated or there is a high chance of termination even with a reasonable accommodation appeal.

Here is their memo today for your reading pleasure:
https://iam141.org/vaccine-requirements-heres-how-to-apply-for-an-exemption-at-united/?fbclid=IwAR0eStwqpQJy_SB5t8gGwIP96i4FifLWG6cVbanm bdX4JT2-zwBrZ5s5VgM

My union membership is a bit more split on the issue as it is a more politically mixed union than others; so their statement is treading lightly on that fact.

turnpup
08-23-2021, 12:51 PM
The pilots and flight attendants union are in full support of the mandate. The union I am in that represents ground workers (customer service, ramp, stores (parts stock for maintenance)) has taken the stance that it is not a winnable fight. The company is within their right in all 50 states. They will of course still file a grievance for every termination as that is what they are paid to do, and it basically keeps the door open for terminations to be reversed if some future court ruling allows for that. But the union has basically told us to get vaccinated or there is a high chance of termination even with a reasonable accommodation appeal.

Here is their memo today for your reading pleasure:
https://iam141.org/vaccine-requirements-heres-how-to-apply-for-an-exemption-at-united/?fbclid=IwAR0eStwqpQJy_SB5t8gGwIP96i4FifLWG6cVbanm bdX4JT2-zwBrZ5s5VgM

My union membership is a bit more split on the issue as it is a more politically mixed union than others; so their statement is treading lightly on that fact.

Thank you! Having done collective bargaining in another industry years ago, I'm always interested in this type of thing.

BoulderSooner
08-23-2021, 01:01 PM
Actually, Saturday, Sunday, Monday.

what the numbers posted this morning .. are from positive tests this morning??

Pete
08-23-2021, 01:03 PM
what the numbers posted this morning .. are from positive tests this morning??

No, but numbers are reported on Friday.

So, the 3-day period on Mondays are for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

We are saying the same thing, just trying to clarify.

BoulderSooner
08-23-2021, 01:04 PM
No, but numbers are reported on Friday.

So, the 3-day period on Mondays are for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

We are saying the same thing, just trying to clarify.

roger i see what you are saying ...

soonerguru
08-23-2021, 01:14 PM
I think our company is moving in that direction. They are already requiring it to visit any of our locations. Hopefully the Pfizer approval will move them to act. So many of our colleagues work remotely but they still visit clients. From a liability perspective, it makes sense to have our remote workers who visit clients get the vaccine, if not our data people and support people who work exclusively from home.

BDP
08-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Unvaccinated Americans hospitalized with COVID-19 cost the U.S. health care system $2.3 billion in June and July: report (https://www.marketwatch.com/story/unvaccinated-americans-hospitalized-with-covid-19-cost-the-u-s-2-3-billion-in-june-and-july-report-11629737443)

The cost of preventable hospitalizations is ‘borne not only by patients but also by society more broadly,’ the report says

catcherinthewry
08-23-2021, 03:21 PM

Fox News has already moved them. They had one of their blonde Fox News Barbies on earlier today asking if the process was rushed.

soonerguru
08-23-2021, 04:30 PM
Fox News has already moved them. They had one of their blonde Fox News Barbies on earlier today asking if the process was rushed.

LOL of course. And if we didn't get approval by the end of the year, they would be asking, "Why is the Biden Administration taking so long to get FDA approval on the vaccines????" :)

OKCretro
08-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Question,

has there been any report of people getting the virus twice? I feel like i haven't seen more than a few handful of cases.

DowntownMan
08-23-2021, 08:11 PM

ICU is 404 (+6).

Mayor Holt posted a graph that showed the potential sign that we might have peaked for now. I had guessed given trends elsewhere we would peak by end of August. I’m hoping that is what happens.

king183
08-23-2021, 10:06 PM
Question,

has there been any report of people getting the virus twice? I feel like i haven't seen more than a few handful of cases.

Yes, there have been many reports of people getting he virus twice, especially among the unvaccinated.

OKCbyTRANSFER
08-23-2021, 10:26 PM

I'm hearing the same at my place, federal government job. People ready to give it up over a vaccine.

PhiAlpha
08-23-2021, 11:11 PM
Yes, there have been many reports of people getting he virus twice, especially among the unvaccinated.

Reinfection is still pretty rare at around 1% or below for people previously infected. As with other viruses, the reinfections have been mostly mild similar to most vaccine breakthrough cases, even those caused by the delta and other variants (obviously there have been even more rare severe cases in both categories, which really sucks to put it mildly). That said the CDC just released a study that says you're 2.34 times less likely to be reinfected with a dose or two of one of the vaccines which good to hear regardless of the low reinfection rate.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/01/1023393330/what-we-can-glean-from-rare-covid-19-reinfections

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm?s_cid=mm7032e1_w

soonerguru
08-24-2021, 12:00 AM
I'm hearing the same at my place, federal government job. People ready to give it up over a vaccine.

I imagine there would be a lot of qualified applicants for a plum federal government job. So, hope they enjoy their boycott.

Plutonic Panda
08-24-2021, 02:23 AM
I’m starting to wonder if life is even real at this point and I died awhile ago and God is just messing with me:

https://kfor.com/news/local/do-not-take-medicine-for-animals-oklahoma-stores-sold-out-of-horse-deworming-drug-despite-fda-warning-about-consumption/

king183
08-24-2021, 07:40 AM
I’m starting to wonder if life is even real at this point and I died awhile ago and God is just messing with me:

https://kfor.com/news/local/do-not-take-medicine-for-animals-oklahoma-stores-sold-out-of-horse-deworming-drug-despite-fda-warning-about-consumption/

Natural selection.

Roger S
08-24-2021, 07:54 AM

Well at least they won't have to worry about dying from heartworms.

Canoe
08-24-2021, 08:00 AM

You can check in, but you can never check out. Welcome to the hotel Oklahoma. Such a lovely place, panda has such a lovely face.

Martin
08-24-2021, 08:07 AM
Well at least they won't have to worry about dying from heartworms.

personally, i prefer the collar over the pills. as plus, it also repels fleas and ticks. : )

jccouger
08-24-2021, 08:52 AM
All those poor horses & cows who are gonna die from heartworms because they won't have medicine. :(

Bill Robertson
08-24-2021, 09:17 AM
I just read a post saying another person I know died of COVID. A man I had immense respect and admiration for. Below is an excerpt from the post announcing his death.

"In these crazy times we live in with the politics and health issues we face every day I want to relate this part of his story. He didn’t want to get the vaccine. Not because he didn’t think it would work but because he didn’t want a government telling him what he should do.
One of the last conversations he had with my wife was about the shot.
He said, “I wish I had got the shot. “
Think about that".

Get the damn shot!

Pete
08-24-2021, 10:09 AM
1,794 new cases reported today. Last several Tuesdays: 862; 1,136; 946; 733; 465; 177.

7-day average continues to climb at 2,246.

Hospitalizations are 1,497 (+28).

ICU is 410 (+6).

Thus far, we are +183 in new cases as compared to the same period last week.

PoliSciGuy
08-24-2021, 10:10 AM
Ugh, well that was a fun 24 hours thinking we were on the downslope...

Pete
08-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Schools are just starting full-bore for the first time in well over a year.

And packed football stadiums will be coming soon, as will cooler weather.

The numbers are way, way higher than they were at the same time last year and we still have the holidays and winter ahead.

A year ago, our 7-day new case average was 687 as opposed to our current 2,246.