View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

architect5311
08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I recall some folks thinking that the floor plates on the tower were too small compared to the size of the core to be effective as office space..................

Some grahic assistance..........
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/TYPFLOORPLATE_Page_1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/TYPFLOORPLATE_Page_2.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/TYPFLOORPLATE_Page_3.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/TYPFLOORPLATE_Page_4.jpg

BTW, Great Pics Kinggober!!!

jmarkross
08-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Wonderful renderings--quite enlightening Architect 5311...always nice to see offerings from those who know the subject matter and present it in ways the layman can understand. This very night...with King's pictures and your drawings...a great deal of insight was provided...that is not a common thing on most forums. I, for one, REALLY appreciate the sharing of your skills.

jn1780
08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
A few from this evening. As always more here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53062852@N00/)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4911445483_0027f865d1_b.jpg

Great Pics!

I guess this is going to be a covered staging area for the construction elevator.

Is there going to be another construction elevator on the east side as soon as the ground floor is completed?

UnFrSaKn
08-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Is there a construction project being followed as closely as this one I wonder? :)

jmarkross
08-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Is there a construction project being followed as closely as this one I wonder? :)

I have looked around for others--it is a great question. I have found some similar posts--but--nothing like this where there is daily information--24/7--with so many added photos and other information--and the beloved Construct-O-Cam--added by people "who know". I suspect it is at least--the eaqual of any out there...and probably better. There are not that many possibilities out ther at any given time here in the USA...or the world maybe. I think it is probably a real pioneer in this scenario...and a damn good one. I am sure a big part of it is this is a "bigger deal" here in OKC than it might be in say--NYC or Chi-town. I am just glad it is here and someone bright made it happen. I remember in the earlier days of the internet how fun it was to look at city-cams--like in Trafalgar Square in London--and just see people live (more or less) trucking about...fascinating.

soonerwilliam
08-21-2010, 08:19 AM
the cam is down!

OKCisOK4me
08-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Oh well! Guess we'll have to get off our butts and go down there!! I doubt the the guy whose office the cam is in is gonna make a special Saturday trip down to his office to reset it...

soonerwilliam
08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks! I appreciate it.

architect5311
08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/TYPFLOORPLATE-1.jpg

jmarkross
08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Great rendering, Architect5311--where do you get you info enabling you to do these? Are you associated with the building of this structure?

clz46
08-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Wow, that is fantastic! I was wondering what it would look like with the offices in place?

jmarkross
08-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I want an office--up high--in the "groove" area--the points of the triangle...

workman45
08-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow, that is fantastic! I was wondering what it would look like with the offices in place?
Actually, I think those are the elevator shafts.

UnFrSaKn
08-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah, boring windowless cubicles...

I can imagine how much active the elevators are in a building that large.

UnFrSaKn
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Thought this might be interesting...

http://howbigreally.com/dimension/war_on_terror/wtc#oklahoma_city

clz46
08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Yes, I understand the middle sections are the elevators. My question had to do with the empty area surrounding the elevator cores. That area, I am assuming, will be divided up into offices/ hallways. So I was wondering what that particular area would look like with the offices/hallways drawn in. Sorry if I did not make myself clear earlier.

Thunder
08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Will the elevators be pulled with chains or pushed with pressurized lift?

Troypin
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
How tall is the Devon Tower compare to the Freedom Tower in New York City? Because i know its going up faster than it is.

kinggober
08-21-2010, 09:12 PM
How tall is the Devon Tower compare to the Freedom Tower in New York City? Because i know its going up faster than it is.

1WTC just passed 400ft and Devon Tower is about 150-160ft (estimation based on the Colcord being 145ft) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

jn1780
08-22-2010, 12:07 AM

Their actually going up at about the same rate now, 1 floor per week. 1 wtc has a steel encased concrete core which slows it down, but they have recently picked up speed and Devon tower should be at its floor per eight day schedule.

dmoor82
08-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Isn't it Nut's that The WTC will be More than twice as tall as The Devon Tower!The Burj Dubai(Khalifa)is over three times as tall as The Devon Tower will be!Insanely tall Towers!

jmarkross
08-22-2010, 06:48 AM
A hearty "Thank You" to the good soul who took time to go down and bring the Construct-O-Cam back up...

HOT ROD
08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
well, in all fairness, Freedom Tower (1 WTC) has a huge spire, Im sure Sears Tower will still be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere whether you go by roof or by spire/antenna.

Shoot, even Burg Kalifa has a tremendously huge spire to push it above 2500 feet tall. Im not sure where the roof/habited ends, but I can guess it is probably around 2000 feet (which still would make it the world's tallest by a long shot, but still .....).

This is why I am hoping/praying that Nickels has a surprise for us on had, that he will build to 300m or 1000 feet. This is probably the only chance in our lifetime, for Oklahoma to get a supertall. 150 feet isn't too difficult and Im sure Devon Tower's foundation could support the additional rise. I would even settle for the curtain wall "spires" to rise on up 150 feet from the 850 roof if they really don't want to make the building itself the original height (925') with a 75 ft curtain wall 'spire'. ....

OKC could be one of only a few cities in the Western Hemisphere to have a supertall skyscraper. ... (along with NY, Chicago, ATL, Hou, LA). Talk about putting your 'Oklahoma City' city on the map. ....

jmarkross
08-22-2010, 08:35 PM
well, in all fairness, Freedom Tower (1 WTC) has a huge spire, Im sure Sears Tower will still be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere whether you go by roof or by spire/antenna.

Shoot, even Burg Kalifa has a tremendously huge spire to push it above 2500 feet tall. Im not sure where the roof/habited ends, but I can guess it is probably around 2000 feet (which still would make it the world's tallest by a long shot, but still .....).

This is why I am hoping/praying that Nickels has a surprise for us on had, that he will build to 300m or 1000 feet. This is probably the only chance in our lifetime, for Oklahoma to get a supertall. 150 feet isn't too difficult and Im sure Devon Tower's foundation could support the additional rise. I would even settle for the curtain wall "spires" to rise on up 150 feet from the 850 roof if they really don't want to make the building itself the original height (925') with a 75 ft curtain wall 'spire'. ....

OKC could be one of only a few cities in the Western Hemisphere to have a supertall skyscraper. ... (along with NY, Chicago, ATL, Hou, LA). Talk about putting your 'Oklahoma City' city on the map. ....

I agree wholeheartedly--as anyone who knows my posts will realize. This building WILL exceed 1005-ft--was designed to--and please don't pile-on the indignant drivel opposing about my idea--it is an OPINION based on knowing how and why people do the things they do and how they think for a pretty long time. Of course there is no proof--but--there may well be in the future when you see the finished structure.

Diesel54
08-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree wholeheartedly--as anyone who knows my posts will realize. This building WILL exceed 1005-ft--was designed to--and please don't pile-on the indignant drivel opposing about my idea--it is an OPINION based on knowing how and why people do the things they do and how they think for a pretty long time. Of course there is no proof--but--there may well be in the future when you see the finished structure.

So when people disagree with you it's indignant drivel? You are welcome to your opinion but then you say things like it WILL happen and insult all dissenting opinions.

I'm 99% sure it won't happen yet I'm willing to concede there's always a chance, but you can just ignore my drivel.

jmarkross
08-22-2010, 08:53 PM
So when people disagree with you it's indignant drivel? You are welcome to your opinion but then you say things like it WILL happen and insult all dissenting opinions.

I'm 99% sure it won't happen yet I'm willing to concede there's always a chance, but you can just ignore my drivel.

When disagreeing with indignant drivel--it is indignant drivel...your response is a sort-of self-fulfilling prophecy...

therondo
08-22-2010, 09:07 PM
When disagreeing with indignant drivel--it is indignant drivel...your response is a sort-of self-fulfilling prophecy...

Pardon me jmarkross, but your starting to sound like quite the crazed fool in this discussion. Of course this is only my opinion, but i have also been following this thread for quite some time and have come to this conclusion after reading through the tread several times.

jmarkross
08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I have read you a few times as well...

Martin
08-23-2010, 05:43 AM
cool it, people... back to topic. -M

Richard at Remax
08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
flew over DT last night and it looks real impressive from above all lit up

Urban Pioneer
08-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Will the elevators be pulled with chains or pushed with pressurized lift?

A building of this size would require cable elevators. Otis does make belt driven elevators as well though. Hydraulic elevators would be too slow in a building of this size and not meet the physical requirements for the hydraulic equipment space.

Kone and Schindler are really the only other two well represented companies in the Midwestern area that could compete for elevators of this size. My guess is that Otis will get the job easily. They should be fast!

Thunder
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
How fast? Enough to fly off your feet an inch or two when going down?

hipsterdoofus
08-23-2010, 10:40 AM

I recommend riding the elevators in the Park Harvey building...don't know how the others compare downtown, but those suckers will move!

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Thunder, even the US's fastest elevator inside the John Hancock Center won't lift you off your feet an inch or two. Trust me, I've been in them.

OKC@heart
08-23-2010, 10:55 AM
The speed of the elevators is adjustable. However I would imagine that they will be much faster than anything that we currently see in DT OKC. I was at an office Dallas on the 38th floor of a 48 story building and the elevators would rise so fast that your ears would need to pressurize twice on the ride up. They would also adjust speed slower for really windy days as the buildings would sway too much to travel that fast without damage to the cars.

okcmomentum
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
The new elevators in the Devon garage are pretty quick. They'll get you up to the 10th floor in a hurry!

David Pollard
08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
When are we going to see numbers on the outside of the building indicating the number of completed floors? Already there maybe on a side not visible from the webcam?

OKC@heart
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
When are we going to see numbers on the outside of the building indicating the number of completed floors? Already there maybe on a side not visible from the webcam?

Its anyones guess at this point. Often they will do that on the core of the building or where it is shrouded from view I have seen them use printed tarp like signs that they tie to the floor levels so as the building gets taller the crane operator and guides can be more effective. But have seen nothing to this point.

Dustin
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Has the cam been moved to the right? Or zoomed out a little bit? The picture looks different.

Watson410
08-23-2010, 05:00 PM
It has been moved up to see the tower once it starts getting taller... Very much appreciated Pete!!

jmarkross
08-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Someone needs to ask the White Van Guy to park a little farther south in the parking lot...we cannot keep accurate tabs on him now...

Thunder
08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't know what that white van is doing there, but I want it gone immediately.

jmarkross
08-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know what that white van is doing there, but I want it gone immediately.

I have a picture of it one day...with a large amount of mysterious liquid draining from it's back door to a drain near the little kiosk on the roof there...I think the whole affair of this Van warrants special investigation...may well be aliens from another world planning to use the Devon Tower in some unseemly fashion...for God-knows-what purpose...

Dustin
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
It has been moved up to see the tower once it starts getting taller... Very much appreciated Pete!!

Ohh.. Duh. I should have just looked at the parking lot.

ndmoore
08-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I have some news

Insider
08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
What news???

ndmoore
08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
What news???

How about we start off the 100th page with a picture of the facade going on!!!!

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/ndmoore84/Devon%20Tower/f0eacf3b.jpg

Insider
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Freakin awesome!!!!!!

OKCisOK4me
08-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't know how you timed that with expecting only one answer but that was, indeed awesome. Glass comin in early! Great pic. I can't wait to see the first post on the 200th page!!

OKC@heart
08-24-2010, 11:03 AM
ndmoore you are killing us!... That was Awesome!!!! Woohoo!!! Glazing underway! What a way to make the day great!

jmarkross
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks ndmoore...you have made page100 special...you are "the man" today!

gen70
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM

What he said...^^

okcmomentum
08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
That is awesome!!! Is the deck they are building going to be a staging area for workers to get on the elevator? I bet that is quite an operation to get hundreds of workers up and down from different floors.

ndmoore
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone that made "The Man" award possible today!
First my wife for being so patient with me as I annoy her with countless building updates everyday.
Insider, who answered my question so quickly to where I didn't have to wait long to post the picture.
My iPhone 4, with your multitasking capabilities and quality photos, and also all you fellow OKCTalkers out there, we wouldn't be at page 100 if it weren't for you!
Thank you

jmarkross
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I would like to take a moment to thank everyone that made "The Man" award possible today!
First my wife for being so patient with me as I annoy her with countless building updates everyday.
Insider, who answered my question so quickly to where I didn't have to wait long to post the picture.
My iPhone 4, with your multitasking capabilities and quality photos, and also all you fellow OKCTalkers out there, we wouldn't be at page 100 if it weren't for you!
Thank you

We'll be at you side through thick and thin, bud. I, too, have a few friends around the nation who have learned to dread my updates...but...so be it. I think it is a remarkable chance for people to document something that will be around a long time...take your grandkids down and then show them all your old pix and watch their jaws drop. Is it obsessive...of course...so is college football, patriotism and everything else you really like!

DelCamino
08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
ndmoore - you beat me to it....

From this morning, looking east into the site. The facade of the building is visible through the cranes (and rain).

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/luckynedpepper/11-Aug242010.jpg

OKC@heart
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Again another great shot! Thanks DelCamino!

gen70
08-24-2010, 02:54 PM
We'll be at you side through thick and thin, bud. I, too, have a few friends around the nation who have learned to dread my updates...but...so be it. I think it is a remarkable chance for people to document something that will be around a long time...take your grandkids down and then show them all your old pix and watch their jaws drop. Is it obsessive...of course...so is college football, patriotism and everything else you really like!

What he said..^^

SkyWestOKC
08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Awesome!

Pete
08-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Is there glass already within that framework?

Looks like there is, but it's hard to tell.