View Full Version : Devon Energy Center

kevinpate
06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Really enjoyed the panorama shot. I do wonder how sick it is that I smiled slightly more upon seeing that silly white van was in the shot.

Long live the Van!

Platemaker
06-02-2010, 12:37 PM
By popular request... more fun with panoramas...
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/Photo0236.jpg

Platemaker
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/Photo0238.jpg

OKCisOK4me
06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I like the vertical shot the best!

jmarkross
06-02-2010, 03:13 PM
How do you do the panoramas, Platemaker? What kind of camera? They are marvelous...remind me of Nimslo cameras in the days of yore...also...do you make plates? :yourock:

Lauri101
06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Platemaker - awesome pics - thanks!

USG '60
06-02-2010, 03:35 PM

The lower half of this reminds me of MC Esher's stuff. Terrific.

CuatrodeMayo
06-02-2010, 03:39 PM
How do you do the panoramas, Platemaker? What kind of camera? They are marvelous...remind me of Nimslo cameras in the days of yore...also...do you make plates? :yourock:

You can make them from normal pictures taken in sequence with this tool: Photo Gallery - Windows Live (http://download.live.com/photogallery)

jmarkross
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Cool Platemaker---I will have to try that--thanks for the info. Many years ago I was atop the Empire State Bldg. at night and took a whole series of panorama shots...this was before computers were available to the masses (1970's)...and it took me forever to cobble together, from prints, a nice panorama. Your way seems infinitely better! :doh:

jmarkross
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Oops...thanks to you, CuatrodeMayo...for the advice. :doh:--again!

lasomeday
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I was down there today and counted 100 construction workers working on the site. That was just what I could see from the top of the parking garage.

Troypin
06-02-2010, 06:01 PM

So does anybody know what those giant light browm platforms with blue bars under it are for. There over were the the podium will be.

dedndcrusr
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
That vertical panorama shot with be very useful as the tower grows taller!

John
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
So does anybody know what those giant light browm platforms with blue bars under it are for. There over were the the podium will be.

Are you talking about the floor plate forms?

Troypin
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Are you talking about the floor plate forms?

What are floor plate forms for?

kinggober
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
What are floor plate forms for?

They pour/place the concrete onto the floor plates to make each floor.

Platemaker
06-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Believe it or not... they are from my phone! Samsung Impression. I've been pretty impressed with the camera on it.

Also... the 'platemaker' is a printing reference. I grew up in a print shop.

jmarkross
06-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Believe it or not... they are from my phone! Samsung Impression. I've been pretty impressed with the camera on it.

Also... the 'platemaker' is a printing reference. I grew up in a print shop.

See PM to you Platemaker. :phone:

hipsterdoofus
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
That Panoramic would look AWESOME as an HDR shot.

OKCisOK4me
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
On the elevator cores, I've noticed that usually the NE one is the one that they build up to the next level first and rotate clockwise around the floor span to the other two. Today, though, it looks as if the S core is going up first...

jmarkross
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
On the elevator cores, I've noticed that usually the NE one is the one that they build up to the next level first and rotate clockwise around the floor span to the other two. Today, though, it looks as if the S core is going up first...

It would be nice if this forum could get one of the guys who works down there to join us and give us some assistance on why they do things they do...wouldn't that be interesting...:tiphat:

Troypin
06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Why isn't the concrete pump on the south core pumping on the elevator core and why is it standing like that?

jn1780
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM

They are working clockwise, they already poured one side of the NE core which was needed before they can pour the SE 1/3 of the floor. The southern 1/3 of the floor will be poured last so the other side of the NE core wasn't a priority until now.

It looks like the mezzanine floor wasn't as tall because they didn't use the standard outer core forms. They had to build new outer forms from scratch.

I think once they get past this floor things should significantly pick up in speed and will go even faster once their past the floors that are connected to the atrium/rotunda.

jn1780
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Why isn't the concrete pump on the south core pumping on the elevator core and why is it standing like that?

I don't know why their still using the mobile concrete booms. Maybe they haven't connected all the equipment for the stationary boom yet. The actual concrete "pump" for this boom will be at ground level somewhere.

OKCisOK4me
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
They are working clockwise, they already poured one side of the NE core which was needed before they can pour the SE 1/3 of the floor. The southern 1/3 of the floor will be poured last so the other side of the NE core wasn't a priority until now.

It looks like the mezzanine floor wasn't as tall because they didn't use the standard outer core forms. They had to build new outer forms from scratch.

I think once they get past this floor things should significantly pick up in speed and will go even faster once their past the floors that are connected to the atrium/rotunda.

Yes, I did note that they are working clockwise. As far as the 3rd? Floor goes, they have not started pouring concrete on the eastern side of it. If you look closely at the cam shot, you can still see where they're tying the steel reinforcements in between the outside of the building and the elevator cores. The mini 2nd floor has been poured, yes.

As far as getting past this floor, from what I understand reading older posts is that the next floor or two will be just like this one, but come probably early July, we should start seeing the floors rise with more speed. Can't wait for that! And if you think about that rate of one floor per week, that would be 48+ more weeks which is nowhere near the end of the year for this thing being topped out. I think we're looking at about March of next year before they go interior.

Insider
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
BTW, Devon has a poster in the lobby of their building talking about the construction and it clearly states that the floor curently under construction is the 3rd floor and the 'mini' floor is the 2nd floor.

jn1780
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, I did note that they are working clockwise. As far as the 3rd? Floor goes, they have not started pouring concrete on the eastern side of it. If you look closely at the cam shot, you can still see where they're tying the steel reinforcements in between the outside of the building and the elevator cores. The mini 2nd floor has been poured, yes.

Yes, I was just saying that they needed to have the core walls that support this section of the 3rd floor done before they can start tying rebar and pouring concrete.
The other half of the the NE core is being poured right now so its inner core forms will be lifted up to the next level in a couple of days.

To me it looks like the floors past the third floor are "almost" normal floors except for where they connect to the atrium/rotunda and podium building. They definitely don't look as complex as the first floor which had a large ceiling. I don't think there are any more mezzanine floors. They won't be at their fastest pace, but it should be a little bit faster.

Dustin
06-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Are they still building at 2 in the morning?!? It looks a little taller! lol.

ourulz2000
06-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Unless my eyes are deceiving me, looks like the south core is going up again.

Good progress being made on the north structure as well.

OKCisOK4me
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Are they still building at 2 in the morning?!? It looks a little taller! lol.

There's 3 separate 8 hour shifts and they work 24/7 my friend...

ourulz2000
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I was right - hello 3rd story! :congrats:

OKCisOK4me
06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I was right - hello 3rd story! :congrats:

Then, I'm going to have to congratulate my post #1669 for making the same observation ;)

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

jmarkross
06-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Does anyone know if the parking structure that is directly north of the Tower will be made any higher...the dove-tailed walls at the top look like they may be added onto, or is it the finished height now?

warreng88
06-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Does anyone know if the parking structure that is directly north of the Tower will be made any higher...the dove-tailed walls at the top look like they may be added onto, or is it the finished height now?

It is not going to get any bigger. The west garage was built with the possibility of adding up to five more stories. Also, the west garage is now owned by Devon exclusively the other garage is city owned.

Troypin
06-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Ok so I think I have the schedule for the construction site down.

Monday-Saturday daylight hours, they work on the tower podium ect. like putting down rebar, pouring concrete, raising elavtor cores and thangs like that.

Monday-Saturday nighttime hours, they work on pluming, electicity, fabercating, ect.

Sunday- doesn't look like they work on Sunday.

Thunder
06-06-2010, 04:40 AM
Sunday- doesn't look like they work on Sunday.

:omg: How dare they don't work on Sunday!!!

jmarkross
06-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Found this pic of an old Postcard...what is the building to the left of the Colcord??? Looks like a twin...?

Urbanized
06-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I have the same postcard (I've collected downtown OKC for years). That is actually an artist's rendering rather than a photograph, which was not uncommon. I think it was probably BASED on a photograph however. Anyway, the part to the left is a never-realized west wing of the building. It was originally envisioned with the second, west tower, which was never built.

jn1780
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
:omg: How dare they don't work on Sunday!!!

They actually do work on Sunday. They stripped the forms off the core, and moved the inner forms to the next level.

jmarkross
06-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I have the same postcard (I've collected downtown OKC for years). That is actually an artist's rendering rather than a photograph, which was not uncommon. I think it was probably BASED on a photograph however. Anyway, the part to the left is a never-realized west wing of the building. It was originally envisioned with the second, west tower, which was never built.

Yes...some further research led me to the same conclusion...and the records seem to say the building was built in 1910 (some say 1912) and the card has 1909...so it must have been a proposal...explains the oddball west rear side of the building that never quite fit in...was supposed to be at the center of twins...someone just sawed-off half and built it anyway...peculiar, I think...:doh:

jmarkross
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe the Devon Tower--at long last--IS the west tower...originally and--with extended foresight--envisioned over 100 years ago...and it may give the Colcord another 100 years of life! Ironic...

jn1780
06-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Their about to start pouring the first section of the third floor.

OKCisOK4me
06-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Looks like its been done. I like how you can now see more definition with the edges of the building, as the column support isn't on that triangular edge.

metro
06-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Their about to start pouring the first section of the third floor.

I think it will be called the 2nd floor though, since we already established the "2nd floor" will be a Mezzanine level.

Also does anyone know what the smaller building to the north of the tower is? I assume that will be the Colcord's new convention/business meeting building?

Russian Sam
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi there! I'm very glad that in the OKC will be so impressive building like a Devon Tower. Maybe anyone of you knows that I create my own scale model of downtown OKC. But I have one trouble: I need some photos of parking (see my map) which i'll create. Arrows showing the position of shooting
http://s06.radikal.ru/i179/1006/12/2b52a3b41bda.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)
Thanks!

jn1780
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
BTW, Devon has a poster in the lobby of their building talking about the construction and it clearly states that the floor curently under construction is the 3rd floor and the 'mini' floor is the 2nd floor.

Insider posted this a few pages back.

Anyways with this floor about to be completed, we get a better feel of the tower's eventual volume and dimensions.

jmarkross
06-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know where this rendering came from? A nightime view of the Devon Tower...

kinggober
06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
The floor they're pouring/placing now should look pretty close to this

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/DevonFloor-1.jpg

andimthomas
06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know where this rendering came from? A nightime view of the Devon Tower...

Looks like a model...

OKC@heart
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM

As andimthomas pointed out this is not a rendering, rather a shot of the model with the internal lights on showing the ceiling of whatever room it was in at the time.

Insider
06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I think it will be called the 2nd floor though, since we already established the "2nd floor" will be a Mezzanine level.

Also does anyone know what the smaller building to the north of the tower is? I assume that will be the Colcord's new convention/business meeting building?

NO. As established by Devon, the floor currently being worked on is the 3rd floor. The "Mezzanine level" or "mini floor" is the 2nd floor. This information is available in the Devon lobby.

CuatrodeMayo
06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Looks like a model...

http://showcase.netins.net/web/backdoor/images/camelot.jpg

jmarkross
06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
As andimthomas pointed out this is not a rendering, rather a shot of the model with the internal lights on showing the ceiling of whatever room it was in at the time.

Very perceptive gents...I see that now...I had been modestly terrified about those two black UFO's above the vision...kind of a neat effect....I found this on the web somewhere...:tiphat:

Richard at Remax
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
seriously, who freakin cares what floor they are on? give it a rest already.

jmarkross
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM

As the Germans would say..."Was der chef sagt ist stimmt immer!" :tiphat:

jn1780
06-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Just a friendly discussion

OKCisOK4me
06-07-2010, 02:43 PM

I can't wait till they reach the 3rd/4th floor! lmao

jn1780
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM
The floor they're pouring/placing now should look pretty close to this

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/DevonFloor-1.jpg

Are the columns going to be square from now on?

OKC@heart
06-07-2010, 03:04 PM
From this level on they will no longer be exposed and so will be rectilinear.

OKCisOK4me
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Are the columns going to be square from now on?

Yeah, and if you look at the cam shot you can see the first inner column's base, on the freshly poured east side, has already been squared with forms...