View Full Version : Otasco

papaOU
04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
In 2008 there was an Otasco operating in Beaver, OK and Borger, TX. This was our "gift store". Christmas, birthdays,,,,,,,,,,, Not to knock TG&Y, but OTASCO seemed to have a better toy selection. What do you think? What do you remember about OTASCO?

twinkles
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
TG&Y was for browsing, but Otasco was for buying.

They were the place to go for a new trike or bike, or a new wagon.

They also sold these horrible stuffed monkeys. They had a rubber face, and rubber hands - with one hand holding a half-peeled rubber banana. They also had on white rubber tennis shoes. Their shirts were yellow fur, and legs were black fur. I had one as a small child, and my aunt bought one for my son when he was born.

NativeOkie
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I remember those monkeys.
The best thing about otasco was the commercials near Christmas and the Catalog that came in the mail.
we would circle things we wanted, that was easy for the parents now that I think about it.

village idiot
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
They had a catchy Christmas jingle, kind of like B.C. Clark.
I think it started something like:

It's holiday time, the time to be gay,
time to save the Otasco way. ..
yah-da, yah-da. . .

They had Flying "O" brand bikes and wagons.

oneforone
04-26-2009, 08:32 PM
beaver, ok otasco - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=beaver,+ok+otasco&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,16773931541837172434&ei=cRj1SZGJHIvAMp3m8csP&ll=36.816216,-100.519431&spn=0,359.988627&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=36.816216,-100.519646&panoid=-yB8557-b22802fQTdGscg&cbp=12,56.3122206613104,,0,0.41509433962263853)

SE-76
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
:closed:
TG&Y was for browsing, but Otasco was for buying.

They were the place to go for a new trike or bike, or a new wagon.

They also sold these horrible stuffed monkeys. They had a rubber face, and rubber hands - with one hand holding a half-peeled rubber banana. They also had on white rubber tennis shoes. Their shirts were yellow fur, and legs were black fur. I had one as a small child, and my aunt bought one for my son when he was born.

Mr Bim I still have nightmares

Mr. T in OKC
04-26-2009, 09:20 PM
My Grandfather owned an OTASCO store in Sayre, OK. I remember sitting in the most comfy of the 20 recliners and watching 10 T.V.'s at once. The store later changed names to Coast to Coast Hardware until my Grandfater retired and sold the store.

twinkles
04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
:closed:

Mr bim i still have nightmares

lololol

papaOU
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
My Grandfather owned an OTASCO store in Sayre, OK. I remember sitting in the most comfy of the 20 recliners and watching 10 T.V.'s at once. The store later changed names to Coast to Coast Hardware until my Grandfater retired and sold the store.

Otasco (stores)
Otasco was a retail chain based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was first established in 1918 by three Jewish Lithuanian immigrant brothers, Sam (1898-1939), Maurice (1891-1970), and Herman (1889-1971) Sanditen, who opened the first Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company (OTASCO) in Okmulgee. The company moved its headquarters to Tulsa in 1925. In 1960 the McCrory Corporation bought the company. In 1968 the chain had 455 units in 12 states. In 1984 the firm's employees bought the company from McCrory, creating one of the largest employee-owned companies in America.[1] In 1988 the retail chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which resulted in the closing of 170 stores across 11 states and the loss of 1,600 jobs.[2] Otasco specialized in auto parts and appliances. As of 2008 an Otasco was still apparently operating in Beaver, Oklahoma.[3] Borger, Texas, also has a store operating under the Otasco name in 2009. [4]

News to me! I did not know..............

grantgeneral78
04-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Otasco (stores)
Otasco was a retail chain based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was first established in 1918 by three Jewish Lithuanian immigrant brothers, Sam (1898-1939), Maurice (1891-1970), and Herman (1889-1971) Sanditen, who opened the first Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company (OTASCO) in Okmulgee. The company moved its headquarters to Tulsa in 1925. In 1960 the McCrory Corporation bought the company. In 1968 the chain had 455 units in 12 states. In 1984 the firm's employees bought the company from McCrory, creating one of the largest employee-owned companies in America.[1] In 1988 the retail chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which resulted in the closing of 170 stores across 11 states and the loss of 1,600 jobs.[2] Otasco specialized in auto parts and appliances. As of 2008 an Otasco was still apparently operating in Beaver, Oklahoma.[3] Borger, Texas, also has a store operating under the Otasco name in 2009. [4]

News to me! I did not know..............

I have to go check those out! that would be like a time warp going in there.

Maybe if I am lucky Mr. Bim will be waiting by the door and a old gyroscope!!!

AstronautJones
04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Here's the OTASCO in Borger, TX.... otasco - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=otasco&sll=35.670894,-101.389732&sspn=0.060663,0.079737&ie=UTF8&z=14&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=35.660928,-101.389825&panoid=Ctjbvy0eW6QccL7f4jYM1g&cbp=12,152.43050821459366,,1,4.515608180839612)

Sounds like a good road trip!

TOWNHERO
04-27-2009, 08:52 AM
I remember going into OTASCO with my Dad a lot. I remember during the summer, mowing as many yards I could in my neighborhood and saving the money. I was 10, 11 or 12 years old. But I saved my money and my Dad took me to OTASCO at the Airline Shopping Center and I bought my first 22 rifle. I think it was an OTASCO brand. I had to have my own rifle, because my cousin (same age as me) that lived out in the country had his own (I couldn't deal with that) and we would go squirrel hunting when I went down to visit him. You can't do that now.

Pstmstr
04-27-2009, 09:04 AM
My best Christmas ever was a Browning .22 rifle from Otasco. I wish I still had it.

Generals64
04-27-2009, 01:11 PM
You guys are beginning to hurt my feelings....Orasco was an after thought for toys ...Only at Christmas....then they would try and cut TG&Y's prices only until TG&Y opened automotive centers. Bob Springer was the first full time Automotive manager had...He came from Otasco. If you notice McCrory/McClellan & Green cause two major chains in Oklahoma to go down the tubes.....GYROSCOPE???? you didn't pick up the one I left you....Had to bring it back home...'78 is losing it guys....By the way I have a Mr. Bim in my "Junk" pile
half-eaten banana and all......OTASCO:................Gimme Break TG&Y Rules...O.K.?????Remember I'm the oldest of this crowd....

westsidesooner
04-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I remember Timothy.....cant find an ad or pic with him in it though. And yeah they had a great Christmas catalog, I used to use it when making out my Christmas list.

Generals64
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey....there is still a TG&Y opened in Sand Springs, Oklahoma....A former manager of TG&Y opened a store with that name...I applaud him....the memory lasts more than in our minds....

grantgeneral78
04-28-2009, 04:12 AM
You guys are beginning to hurt my feelings....Orasco was an after thought for toys ...Only at Christmas....then they would try and cut TG&Y's prices only until TG&Y opened automotive centers. Bob Springer was the first full time Automotive manager had...He came from Otasco. If you notice McCrory/McClellan & Green cause two major chains in Oklahoma to go down the tubes.....GYROSCOPE???? you didn't pick up the one I left you....Had to bring it back home...'78 is losing it guys....By the way I have a Mr. Bim in my "Junk" pile
half-eaten banana and all......OTASCO:................Gimme Break TG&Y Rules...O.K.?????Remember I'm the oldest of this crowd....

Guess I must have missed that meeting, and mister I lost it a long time ago and never found where I placed it! Otasco did have the best toy adds around christmas I just drooled around then.

Generals64
04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Guess I must have missed that meeting, and mister I lost it a long time ago and never found where I placed it! Otasco did have the best toy adds around christmas I just drooled around then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah but look how old you are.....I got you a Dairy Queen spoon today don't forget to take it home like you did on the Gyroscope.....

NativeOkie
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey....there is still a TG&Y opened in Sand Springs, Oklahoma....A former manager of TG&Y opened a store with that name...I applaud him....the memory lasts more than in our minds....

Otasco has 2 stores one TG&Y so who will outlast the other?
Bring back a CR Anthony's and the war is complete.

papaOU
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Anthony's = Munsingwear!

Was Munsingwear the first to have an emblem, penguin vs. like Izod?

My parents drove to Alaska several years ago and he told me that Canada has CTASCO?

Or maybe it was CATASCO.....................

Generals64
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Anthony's = Munsingwear!

Was Munsingwear the first to have an emblem, penguin vs. like Izod?

My parents drove to Alaska several years ago and he told me that Canada has CTASCO?

Or maybe it was CATASCO.....................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Izod was right there with Munsingwear....then they Izod/Lacoste split up. I remember buying an Aligator Shirt for $2.99 at C.R. Anthony....that was equivalent to 5 hours working for TG&Y.......Sheesh......By the way, there is a TG&Y in Grant's New Mexico so they are Tied.......I think the guy who owned didn't want to pay for a new sign.....he just used the old one.....

grantgeneral78
04-29-2009, 10:19 AM
the old flying O BIKES ARE HARD TO FIND ANYMORE....at least in 1 piece

Generals64
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
the old flying O BIKES ARE HARD TO FIND ANYMORE....at least in 1 piece
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found an old Flying"O" Scooter....kids [push scooter....I re-painted (I know, I shouldn't have) it and it is hanging at the Grille on the Hill...I need to go and get that thing since it is no longer Jaime's grille......

papaOU
04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I remember buying an Aligator Shirt for $2.99 at C.R. Anthony....that was equivalent to 5 hours working for TG&....

So when it comes to employees wages........not much difference between TG&Y and Wal-Mart..............:LolLolLol

bluedogok
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
There is still a Sound Warehouse in Fayetteville, Arkansas (http://www.soundwarehouse.com/). It didn't have anything to do with the OKC based chain but it still has the name.

Generals64
09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
There is still a Sound Warehouse in Fayetteville, Arkansas (http://www.soundwarehouse.com/). It didn't have anything to do with the OKC based chain but it still has the name.
It seems that ktybg has memories of Otasco....thought this might interest her....TG&Y needs another store...thinking about trying to do it....The wife said she was thinking about trying to have me committed also.....Don't you guys think it would be great to have a REAL Variety store again....Not having everything imported but still having whatever you might need???

papaOU
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
It seems that ktybg has memories of Otasco....thought this might interest her....TG&Y needs another store...thinking about trying to do it....The wife said she was thinking about trying to have me committed also.....Don't you guys think it would be great to have a REAL Variety store again....Not having everything imported but still having whatever you might need???

A very good idea. Practical? Not today. Consumers of the last 30 years or so don't really care where they shop or the product quality.

It's like I told my brother inlaw about the OU game last night. It holds true for OSU, the Hornets......................and many other things.

1/3 or more of the people in attendance know very little about the team and probably nothing concerning the game. They are only so they can tell people they attended...........

Make sense?

FRISKY
09-14-2009, 04:31 AM
It seems that ktybg has memories of Otasco....thought this might interest her....TG&Y needs another store...thinking about trying to do it....The wife said she was thinking about trying to have me committed also.....Don't you guys think it would be great to have a REAL Variety store again....Not having everything imported but still having whatever you might need???I would be interested in investing in a new TG&Y.

Generals64
09-14-2009, 08:31 AM
A very good idea. Practical? Not today. Consumers of the last 30 years or so don't really care where they shop or the product quality.

It's like I told my brother inlaw about the OU game last night. It holds true for OSU, the Hornets......................and many other things.

1/3 or more of the people in attendance know very little about the team and probably nothing concerning the game. They are only so they can tell people they attended...........

Make sense?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Makes a lot of sense......where else can you get the opportunity to pay $5.00 for a 1.75 Beer???Or, where else will they let you paint yourself up and be on national T.V.?????Can you imagine going out on a date when you were in your teens and have yourself all painted up and the dad opens the door???Wait a minute you probably did that back in your younger days didn't you????Or, how would you feel as a clerk in a convenient store and have some guy come in all painted up wanting to use the bathroom????Or Pistol pete without the head gear but with the pistol on his side?????Yee-Haw...you gotta love this old world....

Bunty
09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
I would be interested in investing in a new TG&Y.

Yeah, something like a mini Wal-Mart. But isn't Big Lots kinda like a mini Wal-Mart?

Generals64
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, something like a mini Wal-Mart. But isn't Big Lots kinda like a mini Wal-Mart?

66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 6666666666666666666666666666
big Lots is a Close-out specialty store...they chase close-out goods 90%.
A TG&Y Variety type store would carry the basic items for day to day living. Everyone thought TG&Y went Belly Up but that didn't happen. The Parent company was made an offer and they took it for the investors. Then McCrory took control and they were already in trouble and they just pulled TG&Y down the tube with them....

Generals64
11-12-2009, 08:17 AM
You know, if Hibson's would expand to the OTASCO philosophy there could be a great store involved. They have the locations. You could get just about anything for your car then. I know Wal-Mart would put them out of business....They have done a very good job in TBA against Hibdon's or Crest...Have they????

smooth
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
You know, if Hibson's would expand to the OTASCO philosophy there could be a great store involved. They have the locations. You could get just about anything for your car then. I know Wal-Mart would put them out of business....They have done a very good job in TBA against Hibdon's or Crest...Have they????

TBA? What is to be announced? An expansion, a close out sale? Please enlighten me.

Generals64
11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
TBA? What is to be announced? An expansion, a close out sale? Please enlighten me.
================================================== ==========
TBA actually stood for Tires, Batteries and Accessories....Now a days it comes off as to be announced.....

smooth
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
================================================== ==========
TBA actually stood for Tires, Batteries and Accessories....Now a days it comes off as to be announced.....

What does Crest have to do with Tires, Batteries and accessories?

Generals64
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
What does Crest have to do with Tires, Batteries and accessories?

================================================== ============
They have nothing to do with TBA but what I meant is that Wal-Mart has not effected Crest's business nor have they hurt Hibdon's. As a matter of fact Hibdon's put a store right across the street from the Moore store. Crest put a store right down the street from the Wal-Mart neighborhood store....in Moore....doing GREAT.....

Generals64
03-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Although we have discussed OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Co.) The fact that their competition has not had any notice....Western Auto....Those stores were most generally NOT a Tire place but they had just about everything Otasco had....Any Memories there?????

RealJimbo
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
In Edmond we had both stores, Western Auto and Otasco, within a block of each other and they thrived.

Bunty
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 6666666666666666666666666666
big Lots is a Close-out specialty store...they chase close-out goods 90%.
A TG&Y Variety type store would carry the basic items for day to day living. Everyone thought TG&Y went Belly Up but that didn't happen. The Parent company was made an offer and they took it for the investors. Then McCrory took control and they were already in trouble and they just pulled TG&Y down the tube with them....

Still, though, Big Lots is still just like a mini Wal-Mart to me. And I think Big Lots is doing pretty good.

papaOU
03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
In Edmond we had both stores, Western Auto and Otasco, within a block of each other and they thrived.

In Capitol Hill they were 3 blocks apart. Don't ever remember the family going to Western Auto. Always OTASCO