Widgets Magazine

Thread: Barkeep OKC

Midtown Barkeep OKC

Just drove by the plaza court in Midtown and noticed that a new bar and cocktail supply shop is coming to the space next to insomnia cookies on Walker. Looks like they’ll host bartending and cocktail making classes and workshops as well. Sounds like a cool idea!

https://m.facebook.com/Barkeep-OKC-137274836906471/

Default Re: Barkeep OKC

I wonder if it’s more for, get a group of buddies and learn how to make great old fashioned’s, or is it more like a training center for people who want to work in the industry?

3. Default Re: Barkeep OKC

Cool! Also, gopokes’ question is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Cool! Also, gopokes’ question is a good one.
    That is a good question. It just said that they hosted a workshop on their facebook page so that doesn't clarify it much. Below is a link to the desktop facebook page and the owner's email address from the fb page if someone wants to ask her.

https://www.facebook.com/Barkeep-OKC-137274836906471/

julia@barkeepokc.com

If you can hold on 30 minutes I'll have the full story!

6. Default Re: Barkeep OKC

Interactive news consumption

7. Default Re: Barkeep OKC

Would be great if part of their mission is the training of professional bartenders. Much needed in OKC.

8. Default Re: Barkeep OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Would be great if part of their mission is the training of professional bartenders. Much needed in OKC.
    At what point though would they have to go through all the hoops of being approved by the Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools?

I used to teach bartending years ago (former life as a bartender) at Cimarron College of Bartending. Because we taught people specifically to seek jobs in the bar industry, we had to be licensed (much more involved than simply paying for a license).

I hope they are just going for the host/ess that simply wants to know more about the art of bartending.

Bar supply and mixology store coming to Midtown

Julia McLish has been bartending in Oklahoma City for some time and could never find a place with nice bar tools for both the professional or home host.

So, she decided it was time to open a store and fill an obvious hole in the local market.

Barkeep will open in April or May of this year in the Plaza Court building in the heart of Midtown.

Featured items will be bar tools, sets and even carts. McLish said she plans to carry 'cool' items that go beyond the basics which will compliment home and professional bars alike.

Barkeep will also have a full liquor license and will gladly provide in-store demonstrations on mixology and will even help you create your own unique drinks.

The store will carry a wide assortments of bitters, syrups and garnishes and more importantly, will show you how to use them to create great cocktails. This will be done on an individual basis with the likelihood of adding classes on various drink-mixing themes.

Upon opening McLish said the planned hours will be 11AM to 8PM Tuesday through Saturday. Depending on demand, hours may be expanded.

At 1121 N. Walker, Barkeep will be right next to Insomnia Cookies and is yet another great retail addition to a stretch that already contains the Black Scintinilla, Commonplace Books (and soon their kitchen), Nhu Avenue, The Laboratory, Mode Fashion, Chirps & Cheers, Trade and also the Ambassador Hotel and many restaurants and bars.

This is a great addition to the OKC market. I can think of a few friends that will really enjoy this place.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    This is a great addition to the OKC market. I can think of a few friends that will really enjoy this place.
    I've been looking for such a place every since I moved back.

Was trying to find somewhere that offered classes for home entertaining and there just aren't any, apart from something not long ago at the AC Hotel.

Plus, I love the idea that they'll work with you individually.

12. Default Re: Barkeep OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    At what point though would they have to go through all the hoops of being approved by the Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools?

I used to teach bartending years ago (former life as a bartender) at Cimarron College of Bartending. Because we taught people specifically to seek jobs in the bar industry, we had to be licensed (much more involved than simply paying for a license).

I hope they are just going for the host/ess that simply wants to know more about the art of bartending.
    Good points that I certainly was not aware of. I didn't know how much licensing was involved in teaching itself. I do know that to actually be a bartender requires almost no training or oversight whatsoever other than paying for your bartender's license (I can't remember if the ORA training was a requirement or not). Which of course is absolutely NOT the route to being a good (or even safe) bartender.

Customers might not fully understand how much trust they are putting into the hands of bartenders when they order drinks. It's not just about drinks tasting good but also about consistency of pours, recognizing signs of intoxication, avoiding overservice, etc. Throw in the need to know all sorts of recipes and technique and it is without question a very skilled profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've been looking for such a place every since I moved back.

Was trying to find somewhere that offered classes for home entertaining and there just aren't any, apart from something not long ago at the AC Hotel.

Plus, I love the idea that they'll work with you individually.
    Home mixing classes are offered by Edible OKC, with Chris Castro, every few months or so. He's great.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Home mixing classes are offered by Edible OKC, with Chris Castro, every few months or so. He's great.
    I only learned this because Julia mentioned it when I talked to her today.

From their Facebook page. Getting close.

Almost ready (from their Instagram account):

love the sign!

I fully intend to stop ordering bar tools for our restaurant from online sources and start utilizing this store as soon as they open. Unfortunately, I don't understand how they plan to be successful in the long term. I just don't see Oklahoma City having the demand to support this style of specialty store. I really hope that I am proven wrong, but at this time I am not going to hold my breath.

They are now officially open.

I plan to go by this weekend and check them out.

Hours are Tu-Sa 11:30A - 8P.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I fully intend to stop ordering bar tools for our restaurant from online sources and start utilizing this store as soon as they open. Unfortunately, I don't understand how they plan to be successful in the long term. I just don't see Oklahoma City having the demand to support this style of specialty store. I really hope that I am proven wrong, but at this time I am not going to hold my breath.
    If they can build a niche in the learn how to make drinks space that could be a great vertical pipe of revenue.

Edit: oh and that’s awesome, local supporting local is super cool.

I visited this evening and had a very tasty cocktail and a pleasant conversation with the owner and her bartender. Cool place!

We went in on Friday evening and really enjoyed the space. They have enough different consumer (i.e., non-restaurant supply) items, including a bunch of unique glassware for a reasonable price, and a great selection of books, bitters, etc., that I can see people coming back here often enough to make it successful, especially with the fact that they have a bar/liquor license on premises. Definitely a new type of store for the city and I'm hopeful it will work.

Thread Information