Widgets Magazine

Thread: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

I supposed it's not much different than private-sector executives getting huge bonuses and compensation even when their companies are under-performing, but there should be a higher degree of disdain reserved for those who are rewarded for incompetence in the handling of veterans' affairs...
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Months after a politically embarrassing $1 billion shortfall that put veterans' health care in peril, Veterans Affairs officials involved in the foul-up got hefty bonuses ranging up to $33,000.

Congressional leaders on Thursday demanded that the Veterans Affairs secretary explain the hefty bonuses for senior department officials.

Rep. Harry Mitchell, chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs subcommittee on oversight, said he would hold hearings to investigate.

Sen. Daniel Akaka, who heads the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, said the payments pointed to an improper "entitlement for the most centrally placed or well-connected staff." He has sent a letter to VA chief Jim Nicholson asking what the department plans to do to eliminate any bonuses based on favoritism.

"These reports point to an apparent gross injustice at the VA that we have a responsibility to investigate," said Mitchell, D-Arizona. "No government official should ever be rewarded for misleading taxpayers, and the VA should not be handing out the most lucrative bonuses in government as veterans are waiting months and months to see a doctor."

One member of the House committee, Rep. Phil Hare, D-Illinois, called for Nicholson to resign.

A list obtained by the AP of bonuses to senior career officials in 2006 documents a generous package of more than $3.8 million in payments by a financially strapped agency straining to help care for thousands of injured veterans returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Among those receiving payments were a deputy assistant secretary and several regional directors who crafted the VA's flawed budget for 2005 based on misleading accounting. They received performance payments up to $33,000 each, a figure equal to about 20 percent of their annual salaries.

Also receiving a top bonus was the deputy undersecretary for benefits, who helps manage a disability claims system that has a backlog of cases and delays averaging 177 days in getting benefits to injured veterans.
    The treatment of our veterans is outrageous. Giving large bonuses to administrators who are responsible for such mismanagement spits in the face of the veterans who are suffering through our current VA system — it's absolutely disgusting and intolerable.

Mr. President: Supporting the troops absolutely includes making sure that they are well taken care of when they come home with battlefield injuries (whatever they may be). They deserve the highest standard of care — the same standard of care that you, your staff and members of Congress receive. Yet, on your watch, veteran are receiving substandard care. And your administration is rewarding this mismanagement and incompetence. Does "support the troops" only extend to achieving your political goals or do you really mean it? If you really mean it, then hold those in your administration charged with their care responsible for their poor treatment.

2. Default Re: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

As a "disabled" veteran, I can personally vouch for having to wait months to see a doc concerning something that should have been taken care of within a week of diagnosis.

From the sounds of it...I'm thinking I should just go to work for the VA.

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

I agree, that's disgusting and infuriating.

I bet their annual reviews are oh so tough....Probably have them grade themselves and jot down how much of a raise they think they deserve

5. Default Re: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I bet their annual reviews are oh so tough....Probably have them grade themselves and jot down how much of a raise they think they deserve
    In fairness...My company has me do exactly that every year.

I never fail to give myself perfect 10's on a 1-5 scale as well as put $500,000 as an "acceptable" salary on it. And while they don't quite give me that each year...The CEO never fails to call me (my company is based out of Alabama) and let me know they appreciate my humor. I told her that I was really only a 9 and only expected $350,000 a year, but figured I'd aim high.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    In fairness...My company has me do exactly that every year.

I never fail to give myself perfect 10's on a 1-5 scale as well as put $500,000 as an "acceptable" salary on it. And while they don't quite give me that each year...The CEO never fails to call me (my company is based out of Alabama) and let me know they appreciate my humor. I told her that I was really only a 9 and only expected $350,000 a year, but figured I'd aim high.
    Like how your company operates Oh Gawd...Think mine would lop off those last 4 zeroes in your figure there and maybe throw in a coupon for a turkey or ham

7. Default Re: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

Heh...In 2005, my Christmas "bonus" was a $50 gas card...To a chain of gas stations that doesn't have a single pump in this state.

I mailed it back to them and they sent me a hat. Weirdos.

Quote Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    I supposed it's not much different than private-sector executives getting huge bonuses and compensation even when their companies are under-performing, but there should be a higher degree of disdain reserved for those who are rewarded for incompetence in the handling of veterans' affairs...
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Months after a politically embarrassing $1 billion shortfall that put veterans' health care in peril, Veterans Affairs officials involved in the foul-up got hefty bonuses ranging up to $33,000.

Congressional leaders on Thursday demanded that the Veterans Affairs secretary explain the hefty bonuses for senior department officials.

Rep. Harry Mitchell, chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs subcommittee on oversight, said he would hold hearings to investigate.

Sen. Daniel Akaka, who heads the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, said the payments pointed to an improper "entitlement for the most centrally placed or well-connected staff." He has sent a letter to VA chief Jim Nicholson asking what the department plans to do to eliminate any bonuses based on favoritism.

"These reports point to an apparent gross injustice at the VA that we have a responsibility to investigate," said Mitchell, D-Arizona. "No government official should ever be rewarded for misleading taxpayers, and the VA should not be handing out the most lucrative bonuses in government as veterans are waiting months and months to see a doctor."

One member of the House committee, Rep. Phil Hare, D-Illinois, called for Nicholson to resign.

A list obtained by the AP of bonuses to senior career officials in 2006 documents a generous package of more than $3.8 million in payments by a financially strapped agency straining to help care for thousands of injured veterans returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Among those receiving payments were a deputy assistant secretary and several regional directors who crafted the VA's flawed budget for 2005 based on misleading accounting. They received performance payments up to $33,000 each, a figure equal to about 20 percent of their annual salaries.

Also receiving a top bonus was the deputy undersecretary for benefits, who helps manage a disability claims system that has a backlog of cases and delays averaging 177 days in getting benefits to injured veterans.
    The treatment of our veterans is outrageous. Giving large bonuses to administrators who are responsible for such mismanagement spits in the face of the veterans who are suffering through our current VA system — it's absolutely disgusting and intolerable.

Mr. President: Supporting the troops absolutely includes making sure that they are well taken care of when they come home with battlefield injuries (whatever they may be). They deserve the highest standard of care — the same standard of care that you, your staff and members of Congress receive. Yet, on your watch, veteran are receiving substandard care. And your administration is rewarding this mismanagement and incompetence. Does "support the troops" only extend to achieving your political goals or do you really mean it? If you really mean it, then hold those in your administration charged with their care responsible for their poor treatment.
    Pug, what do you think the chances are, that somehow, someway, Clinton is to blame for this?

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Pug, what do you think the chances are, that somehow, someway, Clinton is to blame for this?
    Methinks the chances are 98%. Even though he's not be president for six years, all of this administration's failings are his fault.

10. Default Re: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

Methinks the chances are 98%. Even though he's not be president for six years, all of this administration's failings are his fault.
    Clinton caused my limp, was on the grassy knoll, and was predicted to cause the fall of mankind by Nostradamus. He's also the one that keeps that damn Sasquatch hidden for those communist Canucks.

A follow-up to this story, from the Denver Post:
    Conflict of interest raised in VA bonuses
    Denver Post Wire Report
    Article Last Updated: 05/16/2007 01:35:50 AM MDT

Washington - Nearly two dozen officials who received hefty performance bonuses last year at the Veterans Affairs Department sat on the boards charged with recommending the payments.

Documents obtained by The Associated Press raise questions of conflict of interest in connection with the bonuses, some of which went to officials involved in crafting a budget that came up $1.3 billion short and jeopardized veterans' health care.

The documents show that 21 of 32 officials who were members of VA performance review boards received more than half a million dollars in payments.

Among them: nearly a dozen senior officials who devised the flawed 2005 budget. Also rewarded was the deputy undersecretary for benefits, who manages a system with backlogs of vets waiting for disability benefits.

12. Default Re: In this administration, incompetence is rewarded

A follow-up to this story, from the Denver Post:
    Conflict of interest raised in VA bonuses
    Denver Post Wire Report
    Article Last Updated: 05/16/2007 01:35:50 AM MDT

Washington - Nearly two dozen officials who received hefty performance bonuses last year at the Veterans Affairs Department sat on the boards charged with recommending the payments.

Documents obtained by The Associated Press raise questions of conflict of interest in connection with the bonuses, some of which went to officials involved in crafting a budget that came up $1.3 billion short and jeopardized veterans' health care.

The documents show that 21 of 32 officials who were members of VA performance review boards received more than half a million dollars in payments.

Among them: nearly a dozen senior officials who devised the flawed 2005 budget. Also rewarded was the deputy undersecretary for benefits, who manages a system with backlogs of vets waiting for disability benefits.

Oh piffle...Who cares about all that? They got their bonuses for streamlining coffee acquisition procedures in support of mandatory unpaid overtime in the nurses ranks.

'Cause that's what's really important.

Thread Information