Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

1. Thumbs up Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

I adore genealogy and Oklahoma, check this site out to view Oklahoma County from the past! It is really interesting! -- OkieKAS

Explore a different era of Oklahoma County

New Developing Projects in Oklahoma County

Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

Great site- thanks for posting it!

3. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

Thanks, OkieKAS, the County Assessor has done a nice job of improving his pics with the "album" approach ... much more accessable than they were.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

Way to go DOUG! Your sites are extreme! Good golly you have created a masterpiece. Wonderful Wonderful informative info.

I saved all of your sites for my OKC references! What an asset you are to the community!

I hope everyone takes a peek and then journeys through your sites upon leisure.

Thanks for the heads-up!

5. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

Whoa! I was complimenting the County Assessor, not me! The rest is just part of my "signature!"

Thanks for them nice words, just the same!

6. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

After perusing all of the photos on the Co's site, I tend to think that they need someone, like YOU, to teach them some web design.

Your sites are indeed a treasure trove of information that is truly just a "click away".

It is quite difficult to look at the postcards when their thumbnails are off the screen and you have to continually scroll to see the chosen card in the middle of the screen. I felt like I was playing Pong. Doesn't make it too user friendly or Buddy (disABILITY) approved.

And they really have some neat-o postcards and pics there, to say the least. I am grateful that they have them available.

Go ahead......volunteer to assist them! Hahahaha

I've been thinking about this lately probably because of the Centennial. When we were kids and we did the whole Land Run recreation thing I never really thought about the City as being part of that. I mean is it possible that the piece of land I live on was actually staked in the Land Run. Are there any record out there that show who staked what piece of land? I would be extremely interested to know who staked my property originally.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

GREAT IDEA!

Check with the OK Historical Society Oklahoma Historical Society for plat books and maps. It will be recorded.

Have you ever viewed your abstract? You can also check with the County Assessor's office for map, info...etc...

Here is a great place for OK Genealogy, Maps ...etc.
    Oklahoma USGenWeb Archives Project

If you wish to just find out w/o having to go through the journey of tracing back, then I would suggest the Historical Society. However, the journey is so well worth it! Best yet, everything that you need in your search is available within your area and/or online!

Thanks, I'll try it.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

I get so beeeeeeeecited about Genealogy & Oklahoma:
    Here is a GREAT beginning: Oklahoma Land Openings 1889-1907 - OkGenWeb

Federal Tract Books of Oklahoma Territory: Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society

Oklahoma's lands were opened in five land runs, land lottery, land auction and enlarged by a decision of the Supreme Court.

Oklahoma's First Land Run opened all or part of the present Oklahoma counties of Canadian, Cleveland, Kingfisher, Logan, Oklahoma, and Payne.

Your Guide To Oklahoma County Oklahoma Genealogy
    Oklahoma County Oklahoma Free Genealogy Help

1891, September 22. Iowa, Sac, Fox, Pottawatomie, and Shawnee Lands.
    Lincoln and Pottawatomie Counties (formerly counties "A" and "B")

1892, April 19. Cheyenne and Arapaho land opened by land run.
    Counties: "C" Blaine, "D" Dewey, "E" Day (obsolete county combined with Ellis county 1907), "F" Roger Mills,"G" Custer, "H" Wa****a.

1893 September 16. Cherokee Outlet opened by land run.
    Garfield, Grant, Kay, Noble, Pawnee, Woods and Woodward.
    K became KAY
    L became Grant
    M became Woods
    N became Woodward
    O became Garfield
    P became Noble
    Q became Pawnee

In 1907 when Oklahoma acquired statehood the following counties were made from existing counties in the Cherokee Outlet: Alfalfa County was formed from Woods County; Ellis County was formed from Day and Woodward Counties; Harper County was formed from Indian Lands, Woods and Woodward Counties; Major County was formed from Woods
    County.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma County - A Step Back in Time - WoW!

Chambers Library | University of Central Oklahoma | Edmond, Oklahoma | (405) 974-3361

::Oklahoma Collection

A core Library provides state, county, city and family histories, biographies, geological and archaeological reports, and an impressive assortment of works on various Indian tribes and the development of education in Oklahoma.

::Microfilm Holdings

* Oklahoma Townsite Case Files: are the reproduction of approximately 100,000 documents accumulated by the Federal Land Offices following the Land Run of 1889 and subsequent land openings in Oklahoma.
    * Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: 1867-1950, for Oklahoma, show the location of schools, churches, businesses, and other town/city building details.
    * Census Records: include the first Territorial Census 1890 covering seven counties in Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Federal Population Census including indexes for 1900, 1910, and 1920, and the Dawes Rolls for the five Civilized Tribes of Oklahoma.
    * The Indian Pioneer History Collection: oral histories collected by the WPA during the depression. They contain recorded memories of Indians and Pioneers focusing on pre and early statehood days in Oklahoma.
    * Letters received by the Office of Adjutant General (1870-1889): containing correspondence relating to attempted removal of cattlemen from Indian Territory and problems related to the opening of Oklahoma to public settlement.
    * Returns from U.S. Military Posts (1800-1916): records relating to the operation of military posts in Oklahoma.
    * Early newspapers for towns in Oklahoma Territory: over 109 newspapers are represented in this collection.

Depending on your area in OK, all Universities maintain Records. Check out their sites, in person and online, when you get your specific area pin-pointed.

The OK Historical Society will ALWAYS know your area and what maps and places it was previously known as.

Thread Information