Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Vegetable=Watermelon

1. Default State Vegetable=Watermelon

The state of OK has named watermelon the state vegetable. What do you think?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

2. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

I didn't know Watermelon was a vegetable...

but I'll take it. Do we even grow watermelon here?

3. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

Yes we grow watermelon here Maybe not so much in OKC but I know it's grown in the more rural pars.

And I also did not know watermelon was classified as a veggie. Learn something new every day.
    Still corrupting young minds

4. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

We were so upset this might makes us look stupid that we looked it up and according to watermelon.org, it is both a fruit and a vegetable.

5. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

I don't care what they say...Calling a watermelon a vegetable is like calling a potato a flower.

*grumbles*

*eats "flower" wedges*

6. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

I've never, ever thought it was a vegetable.

I fear we'll still look stupid.

7. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

A tomato as a fruit doesn't make sense to me either - I put them on my salad. I don't like fruit on my salad.. fruit should be sweet and veggies yucky.. that's the way of the world.

8. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

I would have voted for Ernest Istook.

Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

i don't see how one could even think that a watermelon is a vegetable.

generally, if the leaves, stems or roots are what is being eaten then the classification is vegetable. if the reproductive portion of the plant is being eaten that (usually) contains the seeds, etc is being consumed then it's a fruit. given some plants' physiology, the classification can sometimes be a little fuzzy; but here it isn't. watermelon is obviously a fruit. is this a great state or what?

-M

(p.s. rush springs, ok is famous for their watermelon festival)

10. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

Oh my God - We name airports after people who crash their planes, our state flower is considered a parasite and now our state vegetable is considered by most people to be a fruit!

Looking at my yard, I'm surprised they didn't name the Dandelion the state vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    Oh my God - We name airports after people who crash their planes, our state flower is considered a parasite and now our state vegetable is considered by most people to be a fruit!
    I think Oklahoma classified watermelon as a vegetable because they were saving the honor of naming the state fruit for one of the Mathis brothers. Yup, we're good with names.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

12. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

lol.. you forgot our state bird.. the Scissortailed Fly Catcher.. cuz we have so many dang flies here in OK!

13. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    I think Oklahoma classified watermelon as a vegetable because they were saving the honor of naming the state fruit for one of the Mathis brothers. Yup, we're good with names.
    So, that means there is or will be a Strawberry named in honor of a Mathis brother. Afterall, the state fruit IS the Strawberry.

I have always thought of a watermelon as a fruit, however, the reports I heard said it is a member of the gourd (or squash) family, which would make it a vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    So, that means there is or will be a Strawberry named in honor of a Mathis brother. Afterall, the state fruit IS the Strawberry.

I have always thought of a watermelon as a fruit, however, the reports I heard said it is a member of the gourd (or squash) family, which would make it a vegetable.
    Ughh...you missed the joke BIGTIME. Of course, if I wanted to do a little research I could google "Oklahoma state fruit" and discover it is in fact, the strawberry. If you had the slightest sense of humor, you wouldn't have read into the post so literally and you would've understood the joke.

Now, did you actually read the reports regarding watermelons and its classification as a vegetable?

15. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

Ughh...you missed the joke BIGTIME. Of course, if I wanted to do a little research I could google "Oklahoma state fruit" and discover it is in fact, the strawberry. If you had the slightest sense of humor, you wouldn't have read into the post so literally and you would've understood the joke.

Now, did you actually read the reports regarding watermelons and its classification as a vegetable?
    I knew EXACTLY what incorrect implication (more accuratly, accusation) you were making.

I knew EXACTLY what incorrect implication (more accuratly, accusation) you were making.
    My statement was too vague to be considered an accusation, and my implication was not correct because it's only an implication and doesn't require me to cite evidence or statistics.

If I said, "Xxxx, xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx", and intended to pass it off as a fact, then it would be incorrect if there is supporting evidence to indicate the statement is false. However, with an implication, I'm merely giving a hint of something and letting readers, like you, infer your own conclusions. I didn't outright say, "Xxxxxxx", so I don't need to prove "xxxxxx" is true. I can imply anything. My implications are correct, no matter what I imply.

17. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

My statement was too vague to be considered an accusation, and my implication was not correct because it's only an implication and doesn't require me to cite evidence or statistics.

If I said, "Xxxx, xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx", and intended to pass it off as a fact, then it would be incorrect if there is supporting evidence to indicate the statement is false. However, with an implication, I'm merely giving a hint of something and letting readers, like you, infer your own conclusions. I didn't outright say, "Xxxxxxx", so I don't need to prove "xxxxxx" is true. I can imply anything. My implications are correct, no matter what I imply.
    You called one of the Mathis Brothers a "fruit." if that is not an accusation, then tell me what it is. You DID make an accusation. No doubt about it.

You called one of the Mathis Brothers a "fruit." if that is not an accusation, then tell me what it is. You DID make an accusation. No doubt about it.
    I was implying we could name SOMETHING after SOMEONE; I wasn't naming SOMEONE SOMETHING. It would be one thing to honor Matt Hoffman by naming a sports park after him, but it would be another thing to name Matt Hoffman himself, a sports park. Now I guess you're going to assume Dr. Alzheimers is actually a disease. Do you see the difference? There was no accusation, but rather implication, which can be inferred MANY different ways. As far as I'm concerned, you're wrong even before you log in to okctalk.com. I guarantee you, you're the only one here who will say I made an accusation. Pick up a Websters and look up the word "accusation". I don't expect you to admit your error, but you could certainly use the education.

Now, if you want to see what name calling looks like, check out the thread dedicated just for you in the Nose Bleed Section.

19. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

When discussing this with a group the other day, one person made the comment that we have a lot of fruits and vegetables in the Legislature which really cracked us all up. Our new state vegetable is particularly delicious when filled with vodka.

The Oklahoma state vegitable filed with Vodka? This is Oklahoma, so shouldn't that be Jack Daniels? BTW anyone know what the official state liquor is???

21. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill

22. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

LOL Karrie!

So why is andy rushing to the defense of Fruity Mathis?

Are you calling Boone a Strawberry Hill and naming Mr. Daniels a liquor? Whoa, you don't want to go there.

24. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

What exactly are you implying???

I'm not sure I like your implication that I'm implying.. lol

25. Default Re: State Vegetable=Watermelon

Our new state vegetable is particularly delicious when filled with vodka.
    You know, on second thought it's not a bad idea after all.. straw anyone?

Thread Information