Widgets Magazine

Thread: Turner Turnpike Gas Stations to close!

Default Turner Turnpike Gas Stations to close!

Turnpike gas stations to close

OKLAHOMA CITY — Beginning April 23, motorists on the Turner Turnpike will have to begin looking for fuel in other areas.
    Fuel service at westbound Wellston service plaza and eastbound at the Bristow service plaza will end later this month, turnpike spokesman Jack Damrill said. McDonald's, the food provider at both locations, will not be affected and will remain open to provide food and restroom facilities to the traveling public.

A private fuel company held contracts with the state to sell gas along the turnpike at those locations but decided recently it would not renew the lease, Damrill said.

Damrill said the fuel plazas had not performed well in recent years and the company decided to close those locations.

"It wasn't any kind of disagreement between us and the company, they just decided they weren't making enough profit to keep them open,” Damrill said.

If drivers find themselves running on fumes in either of those areas, they can get off the turnpike and fill up in Wellston or Bristow without being charged any additional toll, he said.

Damrill said there are no immediate plans to seek another fuel provider at either location.

Keith Guest

Default Re: Turner Turnpike Gas Stations to close!

I haven't traveled on the Turner Turnpike in years, but when I did, I always made sure I had a full tank of gas before I started my trip. So, I never worried about having to stop on the Turnpike for gas.....evidently, many motorists felt the same way.

Me too but its still a good thing to have for those who aren't prepared. It seems like any connection to improve transporation and economic ties between OKC and Tulsa always fail. The Stroud Outlet malls never rebuilt after the tornado, an amusement place was announced outside of Stroud a few years ago and never materialized, and now the only gas stations on the turnpike are closing. Seems like we're furthering the gap between OKC and Tulsa instead shortening it.

I noticed recently that the station at Wellston looked a little run down. Not to metion Oncue has a store less then a 1/4 from the Turnpike exit.

I do not think they are needed on the turnpike these days. I think Most people are like Patrick, they make it a point to fill up before they leave OKC or Tulsa. The speed limit is 75, so if you want to make the most of your time it just makes sense to fill up.

If anything the state shoud post signs stating last gas for x-amount of miles.

On a side note, more commuters and big rigs use the turnpike more than anything else these days. Very few people use the Turner for leisure travel. Now the Bailey on the other hand sees all kind of travelers.

I've not been in a while myself, but unless I read this wrong, the station in the center median of the turnpike near Stroud (roughly the 1/2 way mark for me when I need to go to Tulsa) isn't closing. You'd need a right fair gas gauge malfunction to end up needing more than one station or toity between Tulsa and OKC anyhow, so I don't know that too many folks will even notice once the former gas signs come down at the other locations.

6. Default Re: Turner Turnpike Gas Stations to close!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I've not been in a while myself, but unless I read this wrong, the station in the center median of the turnpike near Stroud (roughly the 1/2 way mark for me when I need to go to Tulsa) isn't closing.
    That's what I was going to point out. Seems like that one will be enough.

Thread Information