10 5.15%
  • other

21 10.82%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Most Missed OKC Restaurant

What now-closed restaurant do you miss most?

Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Tony's, Tony's Tony's. I would walk in and they'd have my wine waiting without a request. The Family Feast was incredible...it was "our" restaurant. Wow! I miss that place.

Been a while, but I still miss Molly Murphy's....Loved that place as a kid

More recent....I miss a close Dairy Queen after they keep showing the freakin Blizzard commercials

4. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Been a while, but I still miss Molly Murphy's....Loved that place as a kid

More recent....I miss a close Dairy Queen after they keep showing the freakin Blizzard commercials
    You should check out the one down in Denton. It's just an old Dairy Queen but they had great service and the burgers were good.

5. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by escan View Post
    Tony's, Tony's Tony's. I would walk in and they'd have my wine waiting without a request. The Family Feast was incredible...it was "our" restaurant. Wow! I miss that place.
    That was my vote, too! What a charming "non-commercial" and great food place that was. Put your quarter in and hear Dean Martin, et al, from the jukebox.

My recollection is that several years back (do you remember when?) the family was aging and retired, moving back to Chicago, as I recall. Am I right about that?

Generally, though, what a great thread you started, jbrown! I'm actually researching as we speak about some "gone" restaurants in Okc for some blog posts and, googling, ran across this thread in OkcTalk! I've got several old postcard pics but not many "images" but I need lots more, if anyone has any they'd like to contribute!

Another place I "thought about" going to but never did was the White House near the Cowboy Hall. Anyone have any recollections about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by escan View Post
    Hell, yeah! Tony's Via Roma was the best!

I haven't done a proper introduction, sorry.
    I read the forums here alot and recently found myself wanting to chime in!

I miss Nicholosi's (?) from my youth - it was on 10th street, west side of town.
    They had tall red booths so the kids could have a "private" dining experience away from the grownups that just wanted to talk and talk!

also Bahama Breeze. so sorry to discover it closed.
    The best Plantain Nachos (Tostones) & Tortilla soup ever!

Kip's Big Boy on Reno

Papa's Little Italy on I-35 was a real treat

Eddy's.

Larry's? Diner on 39th & Ann Arbor (before it became a KFC/A&W)
    they had plate warmers and individual jukeboxes at each table.

Cajuns Wharf. @ Reno & Meridian
    before it became a country / rodeo bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBoomerSooner View Post
    Hell, yeah! Tony's Via Roma was the best!
    With all due respect, I believe you may be confusing similarly named restaurants. The Tony's referred to in the first post was on the east side of N. Penn just north of 23rd (I was partial to the spaghetti aglio e olio, myself). Tony's Via Roma was located on NW Expwy. I recall it being on the north side near MacArthur, with a previous incarnation further east, close to May if I recall.

MadMonk Guest

My PI. *sigh* How I miss that pizza goodness.

I could also add Nicolosi's to that list.

10. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Try Chicago's on SE 29th in MWC.................comparable to MY PI!

I guess the guy building the Taco Tico ran out of money and just stopped building...how does that happen?? So the new building that isn't finished is for sale on the corner of SW 44th and Council Rd. Has anyone heard anything about this or what's going to happen with it?

12. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

I voted for Blue Corn Cafe. It was the only place in town to get NEW Mexican food. mmmm Carne Adovada...

Technically, I miss ALL of the OKC restaurants since I live in St. Louis. However for purposes of the poll, I voted "other" and would write in Portobello (now the site of Deep Fork). Portobello was around for two of the three years I lived in OKC and was a regular dining destination - great food (as could be expected from a Lower/Fleischfresser influenced establishment), superb service - especially the bar staff, and a really nice "upscale casual" atmosphere. The patio was a great place for al fresco dining in good weather and the outdoor heaters prolonged that dining season well into the fall.

I don't think I can pick just one. As jbrown said, I really loved Blue Corn Cafe, it was an excellent high quality New Mexican restaurant, they just had too much overhead. I really miss Casa Bonita, Applewood's, Der Dutchman (although Harbor House is basically the same now), Crystal's, and Tony's. What OKC Staples they were.

15. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Applewoods should not be on the list. All the owners of North Fork did was change the name.

You beat me to Nicolosi's. How is it not on the list? Is there any way someone can get a hold of that house salad dressing that they served? Best I ever had. I noticed Sam (I believe) passed away several years ago. I wonder if the brother is still alive.

I hadn't realized Applewood's was a thing of the past.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke
    I hadn't realized Applewood's was a thing of the past.
    Actually the new owners of Applewoods kept the Applewoods name for some time. Still have apple fritters.

Really Applewoods was never the same after Stubbs sold it after he was forced out of the building down on Reno and Meridian.

Dick Stubbs (former owner of Applewoods) owns Cattleman's now.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    Applewoods should not be on the list. All the owners of North Fork did was change the name.
    Nah, the menu is different although they kept the famous and must I say delicious apple fritters.

Flatlander, Godfathers is still around the OKC metro, they have a location at 50th and MacArthur and one on NW122nd and Rockwell that I know of and perhaps more. It's not the powerhouse it was back in the day though. I remember going there after church on Sunday nights when I was a kid.

sleepy hollow has opened back up... -M

Der Dutchman... the gumbo was SO good...
    I also miss Harrigan's, Chi Chi's, and the Papa John's pizza that was on 12th Street in Moore (not the same as the chain).
    Also, I miss having Taco Tico in the metro (well, I guess Shawnee is kind of metro but still...).

22. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Crystal's Pizza...wow.

That brings back some memories. I don't remember if it was any good but I do remember all the cool features of the place. 2 storey arcade, sundae bar, cartoon theater...man...to be a kid again.

As a kid I remember eating at Westoaks restaurant at 10th & Rockwell,also Big Eds and Godfathers.

WestOaks,, what memories,,Kiddie burger & kiddie drink for 50 cents

Was that the place on 39th in Bethany that had the sign with the family stuffed into the old convertible?

Thread Information