0 0%
  • Tony's Italian Specialties

10 5.15%
  • other

21 10.82%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

I've heard people mention Molly Murphy's before, but I don't know anything about it. Everyone says it was fun... was the place a theme restaurant or something?

2. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I've heard people mention Molly Murphy's before, but I don't know anything about it. Everyone says it was fun... was the place a theme restaurant or something?
    Where to start....

The wait staff would walk by, grab your roll, and start a food fight with the neighboring table.

I once had a man dressed like a bee jump right up in the middle of my table...Knocking things everywhere.

My girlfriend got her face pushed into her birthday cake by a caveman.

They made the interior as confusing as possible, and basically hid the bathrooms. If you asked where it was, they'd grab you firmly by the wrist and start leading you all over the joint while ringing a VERY LOUD hand bell and yelling "SOMEBODY HAS TO GO PEE-PEE! WE'RE FORMING A POTTY LINE!"

Yeah...You really had to be in the mood for the place, to say the least.

Wife and I went to NorthFork the other night - our second visit - and the fritters have gotten smaller, and the hot rolls were terrible. Rest of the meal was good. My mom would have been embarassed to serve yeast rolls as heavy and thick as those things were, certainly nothing of the light, melt-in-your-mouth kind Applewoods used to offer up.

I didn't see My PI pizza on the menu anymore; just a generic "Chicago Style" pizza..

And I still miss Glen's Hik-ry Inn....and my family just the other day was lamenting the loss of Harrigan's....aahhhhh, cheese rolls...that's a recipe I'd love to cabbage onto...

-soonerdave

4. Cool Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Der Dutchman & Casa Bonitas, are two that I miss. We always lived in rural Oklahoma and when we got our class trips we always chose one or the other of them. It would just be cool to be able to go back there. Taking a trip to OKC was always a big deal for us!

looks like a lot of folks miss crystals! If you are really craving it, there is still one in texas, right smack dab between dallas and fort worth (near HEB)

i loved my birthday parties at that crystals that used to be off NW expressway!!

Does anyone know what happened to Allen's on the NW corner of 6th & Hudson downtown (across from the new Federal building)? Looks like the property is being razed.

I used to meet friends there for lunch every now and again. It probably wasn't for everyone, I'll admit, and definitely put its unique stamp on our local dining culture.

They had great salads and the best patty melts ever.

7. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

OK, I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember Herman's Seafood?
    It was at 16th and Classen, and they had the best seafood gumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by ad47aw View Post
    OK, I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember Herman's Seafood?
    It was at 16th and Classen, and they had the best seafood gumbo.
    I remember when they were at 63rd and May. That location closed in late 90 or early 91 if I recall.

I miss the Pizza Planet mini-chain. They had the best crust ever.

Also, My Pi. I tried the North Fork version and it didn't measure up.

And as mentioned, I really miss the Split T. That place had so much history and I loved their burgers.

I miss Bahama breeze!

11. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

This is a tough topic to write about this close to dinner, you guys are killing me here. I miss Glenn's Hickry Inn. I used to go there as a 5 year-old and eat filet mignon. THAT was the good old days.

I miss My Pie, Pizza Planet, and Bit-o-Italy. Someday an autopsy will reveal that my tissue is comprised of 35% pizza crust; I have no doubt. I think I have pizza sauce for blood too.

I also miss Toto's Pizza in Norman. It still may be there, I just haven't been there in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    I also miss Toto's Pizza in Norman. It still may be there, I just haven't been there in 15 years.
    Still rockin' & rollin', as far as I know. It's been about a year or a little more since I've eaten there.

13. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Still rockin' & rollin', as far as I know. It's been about a year or a little more since I've eaten there.
    Thanks a bunch for letting me know! Sadly, the gasoline to drive there from Edmond would greatly exceed the cost of the pizza. I used to eat there several times a week circa 1974-75, and if I recall, a small cheese pizza was about $3.70.

In all my life, I've never had pizza so distinctively satisfying, and it stayed that way until they remodeled the place a few years later. At that time, it seemed like they changed something in the recipe and it was still good, but not quite the same. They also hiked their prices, no doubt to pay for the remodeling.

I need to find an excuse to go there again sometime; half my life was spent there during college.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    As a kid I remember eating at Westoaks restaurant at 10th & Rockwell,also Big Eds and Godfathers.
    Me too. Loved Big Eds fries.

Quote Originally Posted by y_h View Post
    I remember when they were at 63rd and May. That location closed in late 90 or early 91 if I recall.
    Dating both of us - I used to go there from time to time.

16. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

I loved Pizza Planet as well. I thought their pizza was excellent. I think there was one in Midwest City where the Arby's is now.

Back in the 80's I remember taking my date to dinner at Sullivan's. She would usually be impressed but I honestly can't remember if the place was any good or not.

17. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

No one has mentioned The Patio Restaurant or that fabulous Patio "K" plate. I loved that place.

Dick Stubbs (former owner of Applewoods) owns Cattleman's now.

I thought there was going to be a taco tico off sw 44th and council, what happened.. I need my taco tico fix, and driving to shawnee for tacos is to expensive, are we getting a taco tico in the okc? Im not crazy just taco tico craving right now

I miss them all, I live in Houston. It's near impossible to find good food here, and when you do, you have to drive 20 miles at 4 bucks a gallon, not to mention traffic.

That said, it breaks my heart that Laredo's closed.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I miss them all, I live in Houston. It's near impossible to find good food here, and when you do, you have to drive 20 miles at 4 bucks a gallon, not to mention traffic.

That said, it breaks my heart that Laredo's closed.
    Are you kidding me???? Houston is a top 10 dining destination in the country...keep looking, there is fine food there.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Are you kidding me???? Houston is a top 10 dining destination in the country...keep looking, there is fine food there.
    I'm sure it is, but only if you are looking for upscale dining or weirdo food. I'm talking about meat and potatoes or good Mexican. Even the pizza here sucks. The mexican here is filled with cilantro, stems and all; nobody has hamburgers like Jonnies; the chinese is crap...

If you want a simple dinner, you are going to have a rough time finding anything that compares to home.

Does anyone remeber an ice cream place in Casady Square? I do, it was awesome, you got to pick your own toppings and sit at these cool tables. It was one of my favorite childhood memories. It didn't last too long though. BTW I am 35 and so that had to be 20-years ago. It was in a building, that I think used to be a bank or something else, it's not a building that exists today. Also, TCBY, YUMMY!!!

Sprinkles?
    Or maybe it was Zippy's or something like that.
    Can't remember anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by escan View Post
    Tony's, Tony's Tony's. I would walk in and they'd have my wine waiting without a request. The Family Feast was incredible...it was "our" restaurant. Wow! I miss that place.
    Hell, yeah! Tony's Via Roma was the best!

Thread Information