0 0%
  • Tony's Italian Specialties

10 5.15%
  • other

21 10.82%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

1. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Actually, Applewoods was bought by a Tennessee company who had several restaurants called Applewood or something similar. They later sold it to the Deep Fork Group, and it became North Fork Grill--but yes, they still have the fritters.

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Well come on.....the new owners did keep the Applewoods name for a few weeks before they changed it to North Fork! LOL!

3. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

haha. OK.

I miss the Wild's north of Yukon. Awsome country atmosphere. My parents would never take me to Molly Murphy's as a kid. I found a website not to long ago that was about the place. I wish someone that used to work their would open one at bricktown. I think that would be awsome.

Well, I used to work at Molly's and it was the funnest job I ever had. I still talk to some of the people that worked there and we would love to open one in Bricktown. So....any investors interested??? LOL.

6. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Molly Murphy's was before my time, but I have heard about it from my parents.

This talk here got me to looking for more info. Here is some of what I turned up:

Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute
    Darren Stone's Molly Murphy's Memories Page
    Tulsa TV Memories Guestbook 155
    dustbury.com: A house of fine repute
    Molly Murphy's: fun dining with a full cast of characters; Oklahoma independent uses costumed staff - restaurant Nation's Restaurant News - Find Articles

I too would love to see it open back up in bricktown.

I must second the miss for Glen's Hikry Inn. We used to go there for Sunday brunch after church, that is if my dad wasn't in one of his typical crappy moods. They had wonderful steaks and blueberry muffins....

I also miss Harrigan's cheese rolls, and Godfather's Italian Sausage pizza without question...

-soonerdave

Reminds me...What's up with the Harrigan's building that's been vacant for years on 240?...Is it cursed inside or something

...it was a great building, but i'd be surprised if they didn't just tear it down after being vacant so long. -M

[QUOTE=SoonerDave;99003]I must second the miss for Glen's Hikry Inn. We used to go there for Sunday brunch after church, that is if my dad wasn't in one of his typical crappy moods. They had wonderful steaks and blueberry muffins....

Thanks!! I was beginning to think I was the only dinosaur to remember Glen's. . . can't say I went there with my parents after church. . . so you probably don't remember the piano bar. . . or maybe they had that on Sunday too!!

Last time I was in town, I literally missed Terra Luna... the wife and I were ready for their great menu and wine selections, and were headed up that way. However, we arrived at NW74th and Western to find that they were gone. Now that's disappointing...

I can't remember what we settled for that evening, but seeing as where we don't get into OKC that often, that incident really sucked.

My wife and I held out hope that Northfork would bring
    memories of meals at Applewoods.

The fritters didn't taste quite as fresh to me, although
    they were still alright....

Menu's not even close. I miss the Green on Green salad
    Applewood's used to serve..

We won't be returning.........

I was a big fan of the Tulsa Molly's. I'm not positive that concept would work today, but if someone gave it a try, I'd certainly be on hand regularly to support the merriment and hijinks, as I never had a bad Molly's experience.

Indeed, Molly's in Tulsa was one of the very few places where the destination was the decision for making the journey rather just being a right fair spot to use as the turn around point.

Any idea what will take the place of Nikz, which itselk took the place of Eagle's Nest? I still miss Eagle's Nest when it had the late night mini buffet.

Actually, I spoke with a few of my Molly's friends this weekend, and the name has been copyrighted so...there will not be a Molly's in bricktown. They could open one I suppose under another name, but so far that hasn't worked so well in other cities. Like the Time Machine or whatever it's called in Dallas...that place sucks.

Funny I just passed The Time Machine on Tuesday and was explaining it was a Molly Murphy's type of place

Guess since you said it sucks it's good we decided on Humperdink's instead...Whatever road we were on in Addison is a diner's paradise...Had so many restaurants we don't have up here...It was unreal

yes, we made the mistake of going there once because we thought it was like molly's. the only thing they have in common are the costumes. they don't get into character there, they just wear costumes and serve you like normal. they frown upon crazy behavior, well because they are just plain fun haters i think. the food is also mediocre and way overpriced. not saying that the food at molly's was any different, but at least you were provided entertainment for the price.

I miss the Split-T.
    I use to go with a friend for a burger, pool and some Very good cold Beer in Frosty Mug.

There was just something about the feel of the place. The Burgers were so Killer.

19. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by escan View Post
    Tony's, Tony's Tony's. I would walk in and they'd have my wine waiting without a request. The Family Feast was incredible...it was "our" restaurant. Wow! I miss that place.
    That was my vote, too! What a charming "non-commercial" and great food place that was. Put your quarter in and hear Dean Martin, et al, from the jukebox.

My recollection is that several years back (do you remember when?) the family was aging and retired, moving back to Chicago, as I recall. Am I right about that?

Generally, though, what a great thread you started, jbrown! I'm actually researching as we speak about some "gone" restaurants in Okc for some blog posts and, googling, ran across this thread in OkcTalk! I've got several old postcard pics but not many "images" but I need lots more, if anyone has any they'd like to contribute!

Another place I "thought about" going to but never did was the White House near the Cowboy Hall. Anyone have any recollections about that one?

20. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Glen's Hickory Inn/Steak House on NW 10th off May Avenue. . .unblieveable steaks and ohhh. . . the piano bar!!
    Yeah, if Glen's had been on the list, I'd have had to pick more than one! What great steaks they charbroiled, cooked just the way you wanted 'em, and with lots of garlic! Mmmmm ...

Another I'd have had a hard time not voting for was Christopher's, a family owned restaurant accessed from Portland toward I-44 ... around 30th? or so? The construction of I-44 pretty much did it in, though. But, with the pond and great food, it was a teriffic place to dine.

21. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    You're not talking about Ann's Chicken Fry on 39th just west of Tulsa Ave.? If so this place is still there but it's not Bethany, its Oklahoma City. Bethany ends before MacArthur, then Warr Acres, then OKC starts at about Meridian.
    Correct, Metro ... and it's got a nice 50's motif that serves great chicken fried steak (among other things).

. . .The White House. . .during the oil boom I think. . .dropped BIG bucks for excellent steaks and a table side Caesar Salad. It was like dining in someone's house.

Christopher's. . .what a great place. . . great food and a beautiful setting.

23. Default Re: Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Guess since you said it sucks it's good we decided on Humperdink's instead...Whatever road we were on in Addison is a diner's paradise...Had so many restaurants we don't have up here...It was unreal
    You must have been on Beltline Road in Addison. It's unbelievable all the restaurants to choose from! It's worth a trip to Dallas just for the food.

BTW, I second the Split-T. I remember that was a family favorite and had great burgers!
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

Doug-That's right. Tony (always in the corner with a cigar) moved back to Chicago. Some other guy owned it under that name for awhile, then it closed and reopened as current day Rococo. I'd give my eyeteeth for that stained glass Tony's sign that hung between the rooms OR the incredible juke. Shaddupayaface!

Was not on the list, but I really miss Triple's that was at Classen and NW 16th!

They had the best fried zucchini and mushroom and swiss cheese hamburger!

Yummmmm!

Thread Information