Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Quote Originally Posted by dalelakin View Post
    Sandusky is but the other 2 I will agree. Alot of summer homes in Sandusky area.
    Yes, but does the population swell to 1.2 million? Yes some people spend their summers in the Sandusky area, probably not as many as there use to be, but many people come to Sandusky for the amusement park. It is a tourist attraction of regional draw because of the rides that are there. I hope this is what Frontier City can be come.

2. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Based on the traffic and long lines at Cedar Point in Sandusky.. it seemed like 1.2 million people!

True, the only reason I would ever have gone to Sandusky, Ohio is due to the best roller coasters in the world... and yes, we dropped a pretty penny there and I would have much rather spent it here instead of driving 30 hours!

OKC could use some tourist money from amusement parks.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

3. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Cedar Fair planned out Cedar Point perfectly. Sandusky was picked and was successful because it drew on the already popular tourist traffic to Ohio's "North Coast" and it was essentially equal distance between Toledo and Cleveland. It had little competition with Geauga Lake and Sea World in Aurora (Cleveland) and Kings Island in Cincinnati. Sea World closed, sold to Six Flags that bought GL. Six Flags sold to Cedar Fair...and now they are downsizing it again.

Essentially no park has had the ability to compete against Cedar Point up there. That area of Ohio is very strong with toursim though. A lot of summer homes and boaters from Maumee Bay east to the Islands (including every drinkers dream - Put-In-Bay) to just about Cleveland.

Can OKC put something like this together? Absolutely...but they need some unique and creative. Not something stereotypical and run down.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I just get tired of people acting like Frontier City's barely a step above Celebration Station.
    Great news about a possible expansion. Its about time that the park (which has so much potential) actually start showing it. People consider it only a step above Celebration Station because they get tired of paying the high price to go year after year and never seeing any new serious rides or attractions. If it wasn't for the concerts, I don't understand why anybody would even go as stagnant as it is and a real Six Flags park being so close. Its about time OKC get a serious theme park. I don't see why OKC couldn't be a regional destination for all of Oklahoma, the Texas panhandle, southern Kansas, and Ft. Smith/West Arkansas.

In all actuality, I would like to see a combined Frontier City/White Water park at a more convenient location in the city. It needs to be in a place more accessible by people visiting OKC for other reasons (conventions, etc) to increase tourist attendance as well as local attendance.

5. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Agreed. There is no reason why the two parks should be seperated. Would love to see both parks moved to a new location with a couple hundred of acres to play with. However, that's probably not very realistic. The southern banks of the Oklahoma River would be nice, because then they could introduce other attractions like ski shows and boat shows. Not to mention, the stadium seating that would go in would be great for the other events along the river. Then every evening during the summer, they can have a laser/light/fireworks show along the river to entertain both sides of the river.

i read it on the frontier city thrills website. called Frontier City Thrills.com l "An Official Fan Site" l in there forum section.. I also just typed randon stuff on yahoo about frontier city ad things popped up

Okay so far, the new owners of frontier city is planning and in stages of dismantling, the nightmare roller coaster, the twister, the thing that lifts and drops really fast, almost all of the cheap carnival rides, and they are expanding into a new area, rumors are that we will have at least 3 state of the art rides that will debute next year and put frontier city on the map for a a top notch amusement park.. I cant wait to see if comes to light.

8. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

I went to Busch Gardens in Virginia a few weekends ago and road the Griffin. Wow! I hope they add some state of the art coasters to Frontier City.

The Griffin

9. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Ha, .. I scoff at the Griffin .. lol - just kidding.. it looks awesome.

But, check out the Dragster! whoooo baby!!

"Riders begin their epic journey aboard this whopping 42-story screamer by securing themselves into ultra-cool trains that resemble top fuel dragsters. The train then moves into a "starting line" position, where it is launched forward, reaching 120 mph in approximately four seconds. The train then zooms straight up the 420-foot-tall hill on track that rotates 90 degrees, crests the coaster's apex and then free falls back to Earth. But hold on, this isn't your father's roller coaster. As the train races 400 feet to the ground, the track twists an unbelievable 270 degrees – what a rush! Riders then return to the station to begin regaling their friends with stories of the greatest ride of their lives."

I don't know these people.. but these are the best absolute rides I've ever been on in my life.. and I'll ride anything, anywhere! A big thumbs up!

YouTube - Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point

Ha,ha, people rode the Millenium at Dusk and came off with bugs plastered all over them!

We rode it anyway, cuz a little bug splatter won't deter us! I started off with my arms held up and within 5 seconds, my arms were covered with bug guts..yuk.. so I spent the rest of the ride with my sweatshirt pulled up over my face!

Thankfully, I had ridden it a few times already!

YouTube - Millenium Force @ Cedar Point, OH - On Ride POV
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

10. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Okay so far, the new owners of frontier city is planning and in stages of dismantling, the nightmare roller coaster, the twister, the thing that lifts and drops really fast, almost all of the cheap carnival rides, and they are expanding into a new area, rumors are that we will have at least 3 state of the art rides that will debute next year and put frontier city on the map for a a top notch amusement park.. I cant wait to see if comes to light.
    Where are you getting this information? Exactly which rides are being dismantled?

the web site frontier city thrills.. is where most of the info comes from...on the forum

12. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

Cedar Point is definitely a park that is hard to beat...would be great if Frontier City could be half as good.

13. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

That would actually entice me to visit the park. I haven't been since '99 or 2000...

This is mostly a rumor, actually. I work in theme park development and catch wind on most large scale projects. While Frontier City is expanding next year, it will be in the form of improvements to current offerings and maybe a few ride additions for the 50th anniversary. PARC Management, who bought the park last year from Six Flags, is focused on improving parking opportunities as well as theme elements. The major focus will be converting the park from thrill-based into a family park atmosphere.

With that said, I am skeptical about PARC's plans for improvement. I really just do not see Frontier City pulling out of its current predicament. The park was designed very poorly and would need complete overhauls in certain areas just to make them viable for new attractions. Second, Six Flags ran most of the structures and rides into the ground. The reason that the Tomahawk was removed was that the gearbox shattered spraying oil and metal everywhere. It was too expensive to repair, however this problem could have been avoided with foreseeing maintenance.

As for Frontier City's comparison to the parks mentioned, the big difference is that most of those parks that aren't "tourist destinations" are very much en route to big tourist destinations. Wild Adventures in GA is advertised heavily on the route from Atlanta to Orlando, FL. Frontier City relies heavily on a local base, however, most of the locals have been burned by Six Flags' heavy handed approach to theme park operation such as high prices and dirty facilities.

Currently, Frontier City barely makes more than is spent on keeping the small collection of rides and buildings functionable. Before Frontier City can truly expand, PARC needs to win back the city and get some revenue in. Things they need to focus on are; improving the "theme," changing the variety and increasing the value of food offerings, creating more of a family atmosphere, and removing current inconveniences such as parking problems and accessibility issues. The park also needs to offer some fresh new attractions. Working against Frontier City, however, is the view in the theme park industry that OKC is a very small city incapable of supporting a bigger amusement venture, and that Frontier City is a very sub-par park.

Frontier City has potential, but it has a long way to go. I personally believe that the park can't flourish unless a local company buys it who understands the potential the OKC community holds and the desperation for entertainment here. Only then can the OKC market truly be served accordingly.

15. Default Re: Frontier City DOUBLING its size?

You are probably right.

But at least PARC is investing more than Six Flags was. It's a step in the right direction.

True! Six Flags spent the bare minimum, and rides that were slated to go here were used for the other, more prominent parks. Such a shame.

PARC has been improving things. Improvement, however big or small, is something Frontier City hasn't seen in a while.

I thought that new Quick Draw attraction was a step in the right direction.

I was just there Friday night. I saw the process of taking down the Nightmare, that will never run again. They already own all of that land around the park, no need to purchase more. Only about 20% of what they now own is being used. I saw the plans for at least 2 rides planned for opening next year. I don't know if I think it will be ready for next year, but they definitely grabbed my attention!! They will improve the park just on their own merit...but there are a ton of things in the works for that place. Now, if they just follow through with all the plans I saw THEN I would be impressed.

Sounds to me like the only way to reinvent Frontier City is to rename it in conjunction with its "refocus" away from a thrill park. If you have to fix its image, then go whole hog and ditch the name and the baggage associated with it.

As far as Six Flags operation goes, I will say that in our trip to SFOT this year, we were *very* pleasantly surprised to see a much cleaner park, better food offerings, and that some attention to details like paint and general fixup had been paid. Nothing overwhelming or shocking, but good enough to notice, as though someone actually cared about the place.

I'm sorry to say, but until they make MAJOR changes to that place FC, will be seen as an overblown Celebration Station.

Moving away from a thrill-based park is probably the right step. As much as I like thrill parks, FC's location isn't prime enough to attract the kind of rides first-tier thrill parks get. Plus OKC really isn't a top tourist destination yet, and thats not necissarily a bad thing as many top tourist destinations (i.e. Vegas, Branson) are not the ideal places to live. As was said, FC needs to win back the locals, then start focus on bringing in tourism. The West End district in Dallas is a great example of why local support is necissary.

Agreed. Frontier City, as currently built will never be able to be a tourist friendly park due to the limitations in its design. It's better marketed as a local entertainment venue.

I may be horribly wrong, but I also doubt they'll expand into the lot west of them. They'd have to find some way of getting people across Coltrane Rd. and get the backside of the property re-zoned for an amusement. There's also the problem with the fact that there are multiple neighborhoods building right up to the property line. Building back there now would certainly draw fire about noise violations and such.

> the park can't flourish unless a local company buys it who understands
    > the potential the OKC community holds and the desperation for
    > entertainment here.

Not that it really matters, but isn't that what the park had for several years prior to the most recent ownership change?

Not exactly. Premiere Parks Inc. was a shadow of its former self when they switched over to Six Flags in the 90's. When the mass acquisition of all the Six Flags parks started taking place, Frontier City was pretty much forgotten. The corporate offices were right next door yet non of the execs ever set foot there. Even if they did, they didn't care anymore.

Before Premiere decided to expand, Frontier City was in much better shape than it is now. They used to serve BBQ and good food in the parks, the rides were maintained, prices were lower.

As time moved on, you had people running the company who didn't understand why people go to theme parks in the first place.

Back in the early '90s the park tried to exand to their undeveloped property and the homeowners in the area stopped the plan. That is probably why the Diamond Back was built in the parking lot and not across the street on the vacant land. The problem with their current location is how far North it is. Sort of like "Out of sight, out of mind". In the 5 years I lived in OKC the only advertising I ever remember were on Coke cans and a billboard on I-35 south of Purcell. They should move somewhere near downtown. However, their current land is only good for housing or maybe a large truckstop. With the downtown in the hosing market they probably wouldn't get much for the land.

I agree that their current spot kind of sucks.

I agree that the location sucks. Frontier City would have a hard time moving due to the costs. A thrill park is a wonderful thing for a tourist attraction. I love the concept of Frontier City! When I was a child, I loved to go there. If part of a MAPS project was to move White Water and Frontier City closer to Bricktown or the river, and help to improve. I would be all for it!! It would be a huge boost to our city's image to have a cool water/thrill park setting!

Thread Information