Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

What a waste: "After sitting in storage at Frontier City for many years, the train from the Excalibur were sent to Six Flags Over Texas and the remainder of the ride was scrapped."

Based on those pictures, it appears that old ride was situated where the bobsled-style rollercoaster sits now. They call it La Vibora or something like that, but that wasn't its original name.

Has there been any new information on this or any other sale of WW/FC?

-SoonerDave

3. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Dave, I think Excalibur came from Astroworld. La Vibora used to have a different name, and I think it is one of the oldest rides at Six Flags Over Texas.

4. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Frontier City has certainly fallen into a fog of uncertainty. I have said for several years that I am disappointed with the decisions made at Frontier City, and the decision not to expand really irks me.

I have solved Oklahoma City's theme park problem. Here's what developers should do. Grab that junk land that is just south of the Oklahoma River and just west of I-35. There has to be at least 200 acres out there. Clear out the brush and oil tanks. Add a lake to the banks of the river and build a decent theme park called Delmar Gardens at Spring Lake. Then, when Frontier City finally puts itself out of its misery and takes the poor management with it, we can just simply incorporate a theme section of the park called Frontier City. It would be one of four theme sections of Delmar Gardens. The Frontier City section, which would be no rides and just shows with a "wild west" middle of Main Street gun fight acts; Wedgewood Village, a tribute to a past Oklahoma City theme park next to Lake Hefner (this is where all of the super steel roller coasters would be); Belle Isle Park, a section themed for carnival rides and state fair-like atmospheres; and then finally, White Water Bay, next to 'Spring Lake', the mini-lake built off of the Oklahoma River.

I believe Oklahoma City can support a theme park dedicated to our amusement heritage of the past. After all, we had several amusement parks opened at once in the late 1960's: Springlake, Wedgewood Village and Frontier City, which is clinging to life. For once I don't feel guilt about putting Frontier City out of business, especially after getting rid of the parts for the Excalibur. Cheap skates.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

How about an indoor water park. These are very popular in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area. No sunburns and you can go year around.

6. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    How about an indoor water park. These are very popular in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area. No sunburns and you can go year around.
    yes yes yes we need one!! ahh that would be great

7. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Actually relocating to the river near downtown would be a cool idea. Moving theme parks rides are not very expensive. Buying new ones don't cost much either. The Wildcat roller coaster was move to Frontier City from Fairy Land park in KC. Amusement rides are moved all the time.

If I remember correctly, didn't a housing developer want to buy Frontier City a few years back and replace it with homes. Interesting side note - did you know that 4 roller coasters were moved to Frontier City but were never assembled.

Roller Coaster DataBase
    It is VERY expensive. The story behind The Wildcat is that it was a second choice. The park wanted to bring back the original Tornado roller coaster (from Wedgewood) from Florida. They explored several options and the costs of dismantlement, transportation and rebuilding at Frontier City was through the roof.

------------

So it was moved from OKC to Florida? I took a look at the Tornado that was at Pensacola and it is about twice the size of the Wildcat. This is probably why it cost so much more. I'm not saying that every move is cost effective but coasters and other park rides are moved all of the time.

9. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

I drive by Frontier City every day going to/from work and I noticed their light up sign the other night said "Closed for the season. Get your 2007 season pass. go to www.sixflags.com". If they were selling after this season, why would Six Flags be selling season passes?

A commercial property is only worth the amount of money it can generate. If they can't generate revenue then they can't sell it for what they think it is worth.

ChristianConservative Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I drive by Frontier City every day going to/from work and I noticed their light up sign the other night said "Closed for the season. Get your 2007 season pass. go to www.sixflags.com". If they were selling after this season, why would Six Flags be selling season passes?
    Will have to be honored by whoever the next owner is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianConservative View Post
    Will have to be honored by whoever the next owner is.
    I seen that they were selling next years season passes online as well. How will the next owner honor them if they turn it into say a golf course? Also I dont think that Excalibur is anything but scrap metal now....If they put that thing up it would be a joke compared to rollercoasters of nowadays.

13. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

It makes no sense that they would be selling double park Season Passes for next year unless
    A: they have decided not to sell at this point or
    B: a sale of both parks has gone through and they both will remain parks for at least another year.

They could also refund the money. If they know they are not going to open the park they can take the money, put it in 3 and 6 month CD's and then when the park doesn't open they simply give the money back and keep the 5% interest.

They could also refund the money. If they know they are not going to open the park they can take the money, put it in 3 and 6 month CD's and then when the park doesn't open they simply give the money back and keep the 5% interest.
    Now that sounds like something Six Flags corporate would pull.

16. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Why would they sell the passes if they know they are going to have to go to the trouble to refund EVERY person that bought one? They even have a new billboard up now advertising the passes for next year. Something's fishy...

Patrick Guest

I don't think either park will be torn down. Frontier City makes more money than you'd think. The park has always turned a profit.

18. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Yes, that's what I've been saying.

Patrick Guest

That's why I'm not sure why Six Flags has refused to make Frontier City one of its brand parks. And I'm not sure why they're selling it. They make way more profit off of it than they put back into the park.

Premier Parks obviously had the money to buy the entire Six Flags chain and then some. Wonder where they got that money from. Let's see....they only owned White Water Bay and Frontier City when they made those acquisitions.

20. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

Actually they also owned Elitch Gardens in Denver and Darien Lake in Buffalo and several other smaller parks, most of which became Six Flags parks after the buyout, but you are right, they obviously didn't get where they are/were without Frontier City and White Water doing well.

21. Default Re: Local Investors buy Frontier City & White Water

I've always been curious as to how well theme parks are doing overall in other cities of comparable size to OKC for the past couple of years in comparison to PP's ownership of the two parks. Does anyone know where to find such figures?

Apparently Bell's in Tulsa is moving Jenks. I saw this earlier today but can't find it now. I guess an entire park can move.

Frontier City should move to the Oklahoma River.

Truth is that it's probably not just about making a profit, it's about making *enough* profit. If FC is a drag on the broader profit picture (eg across all parks they're making 7%, but FC only makes 2% - conjectural numbers only), *poof*.

-SoonerDave

Patrick Guest

Well, just remember, Premier Parks had to get all of that money from somewhere.

Permier Parks sold $700 million in bonds, $200 million in Premier Parks stock, assumed $890 million in Six Flags debt, and paid $65 million cash. Total purchase price $1.86 billion.

Premier Parks sells bonds to finance Six Flags deal Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) - Find Articles

Thread Information