Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Default Re: Frontier City

Six Flags Fiesta Texas. In San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    What's SFFT?

I know FC is Frontier City or Six Flags Frontier City (SFFC) and SFOT is Six Flags Over Texas. But you went into SFFT all of sudden without an explanation or at least i didn't follow.
    Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT)

Frontier City is in a desperate need of a new attraction. They have upgraded the park to be able to handle more attractions the past couple of years. The only they added was a remodeled kids area. They removed 3 attractions the past two years. The Go Karts, Tumbleweed and Geronimo Sky Coaster . The last thrill attraction was in 2018 that was the Soaring Eagle zip line. Yes the park is desperately needing a new attraction especially a new Thrill Coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerj2015 View Post
    He jumped the fence and climbed the lift hill of a roller coaster. Everyone knows that is restricted and will get you banned if not arrested
    Dude the guy took water to people that were stranded. There’s a reason people are so hesitant to help out anymore in today’s age. Kick the guy out of the park so people don’t think it’s acceptable and impose a 30 day ban or something. But a lifetime ban? What a joke. Frontier City is joke but I guess we could be like Tulsa and have nothing than a fair.

There is a Facebook group out there Oklahoma Day Trips or something and people have been dogging on Frontier City hard the last few weeks. I guess most rides have been closed this summer for perpetual repairs and breakdowns, I guess last weekend 8 major rides were closed, only 5 were open. The new kids waterpark wasn't operating and they wouldn't give a refund after you paid if you didn't ask in advance. This could be all hearsay but the post had hundreds of comments with a lot of people concurring things have not been great this summer over there.

That's rough. Every park is having trouble with staffing right now, and maintenance departments are sometimes letting rides sit closed because they simply don't have the personnel or the parts to fix things. Having 8 rides down in a park that is already small and without many good rides is very disappointing, but it's also what happens when all of your rides are 20+ years old at least without many overhauls. Letting the water park sit closed is a massive fail though, there's hardly an excuse for that unless they are truly up a creek on staffing needs. Frontier City was making great progress before the pandemic, but this sounds like a huge backslide. Unfortunately it doesn't look like external factors will ease up anytime soon...

I kind of assume that some major management shifts are on the way for the park (again). SF needs to bring in a better manager there who gives a crap about the park. The park doesn't really promote itself anymore except as a concert venue that happens to have some roller coasters. They had a decent manager before SF took over. I wish they could bring him and his team back. Maybe the fact that SF doesn't own the park outright plays a part in this since there is a cap on how much they make and are willing to invest in it anyway.

Yes, I should have noted that SFFT is Six Flags Fiesta Texas, lol. A lot of people forget that there are actually two giant Six Flags parks in Texas, and there used to be three. Six Flags over Texas has also had some complaints similar to the above for FC, but not to that degree. At least SFOT has more and bigger rides, so missing out on one or two coasters doesn't ruin your day.

Its already not worth the price of admission in my eyes. Might as well remove the remaining thrill rides and just rename it "Frontier Kiddie Land". I'm only half joking.

7. Default Re: Frontier City

The family and I had a great visit in mid June where everything was open and operating. I thought staff were friendly and seemed competent. Went back a few weeks later and went to the small waterpark and all was open and operating there, too. Anyway, our experiences with the park have been good this summer.

Two years ago in October, my employer had an employee recognition day at FC. It was $5 per person to get in and that included lunch. The staff was rude and slow, the food was ok (burgers, hot dogs, chips, etc). We (me, my wife and five year old) went on the ferris wheel as my daughter had never been on one. When we started to board, the person running the ride said, "be careful, there are wasps at the top..." closed the gate and turned it on. As you know, ferris wheels stop to let people off everyone once in a while and we were stuck at the top with wasps hovering around us for about three minutes while they got people off and more people loaded. I called my cousin that works at Disney World and she said if one person would have said that, the ride would have immediately been shut down and someone brought out to find out why wasps were there.

Yes, I know FC is not Disney, nor will it ever be, but the ride shouldnt have been operating at all if there was a chance guests were going to get stung. The staff knew, they just didn't care.

Been to FC and it's little waterpark 3 times this summer with zero issues yet.

Been to Six Flags Over Texas 3 times now, most recently this past Sunday, and a solid 20-30% of the rides were closed all day. Thankfully we have season passes, but that sucks for anyone who spent the full price on a regular day pass.

Cedar Point announced that they are getting rid of Wicked Twister. Not sure if they have plans for it or not (e.g. move it to one of their other parks), but this type of ride would be a great fit for FC with its small footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    Cedar Point announced that they are getting rid of Wicked Twister. Not sure if they have plans for it or not (e.g. move it to one of their other parks), but this type of ride would be a great fit for FC with its small footprint.
    That would be a nice addition and the small footprint is a bonus. At one time there was a rumor that a "Crazy Mouse" style coaster was going in near the Starlight Amphitheater and where the go-carts use to be on the back end of the park.

Crazy Mouse is heavily featured in state fairs and traveling carnivals as a whole family ride, where the Wicked Twister would definitely raise the bar for Frontier City and be more of a higher end-thrill.

REALLY wish we had something like Silver Dollar City here. It's one of my favorite amusement parks and I'm not even a really big fan of the western theme. The rides are top tier.

13. Default Re: Frontier City

Well, I reported above that the two trips I made to the park earlier this summer were great and that everything was open and operating, but today was a different story. Many attractions were closed including the water park area until about 2:00 today! It seems as though they simply don't have enough staff to operate everything as they have lost a lot of seasonal employees as summer winds down. The three multi-story water slides there are so fun, something we were really looking forward to enjoying today and they were closed the whole time we were there--they were pretty much the reason we went into the park today! The whole place just felt a bit tired today, like they were running out of steam here at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    Wrong company unfortunately. There's some speculation it may land either at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City or California's Great America in San Jose. Both are owned by Cedar Fair, head company of Cedar Point.

There are several popular compact coaster types being marketed to small parks like FC though. The most obvious choice would be a ride of the same model as Tantrum at Six Flags Darien Lake. Tiny little footprint and layout, but a very fun and thrilling coaster. https://rcdb.com/15603.htm The other most obvious option would be something like Tigris at Busch Gardens Africa https://rcdb.com/16607.htm

I don't think we'll see much anytime soon though. Six Flags basically put a halt on almost all new rides. Fiesta Texas is really the exception to the rule. Six Flags Over Texas is getting a revamp of their old Looney Tunes dark ride into reimagined version of the original ride that was there before it was transformed into a looney tunes ride. I guess SFOT is also finally getting their 2020 new ride next year too, lol. Most of the smaller parks within the Six Flags and Cedar Fair chains are simply holding on for the time being.

^Like so many parks, they are absolutely coasting into the finish line out of steam. There are simply no workers, no parts, and prices on everything are going up causing issues with the bottom line. I think most park operators simply want to fast forward to next year and hope things FINALLY get back to normal somewhat. I don't know what they are going to do for Fall/Christmas events. Many parks are basically only opening up small parts of the park and a few rides for the seasonal events. Even Seaworld in Orlando is only opening like 2 coasters for their Halloween event.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    REALLY wish we had something like Silver Dollar City here. It's one of my favorite amusement parks and I'm not even a really big fan of the western theme. The rides are top tier.
    We were in Branson a couple weeks ago and went to Silver Dollar City. It was ok, the main attraction ride Mystic River Falls was shut down.

The two most popular rides, The Time Traveler and Thunderation had over an 1.5 hour wait.

Other than that, the other rides had almost no wait at all. Was expecting more people during the summer, but it wasn't really packed. My family enjoyed it, but nothing to be admiring over to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    We were in Branson a couple weeks ago and went to Silver Dollar City. It was ok, the main attraction ride Mystic River Falls was shut down.

The two most popular rides, The Time Traveler and Thunderation had over an 1.5 hour wait.

Other than that, the other rides had almost no wait at all. Was expecting more people during the summer, but it wasn't really packed. My family enjoyed it, but nothing to be admiring over to come here.
    Did you ride Time Traveler? Would've been worth the wait. Wildfire is probably one of the best coasters in America.

Six Flags merged with Cedar Fair amusement park
    https://www.npr.org/2023/11/03/12103...e-in-north-ame

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I know it will means there will be changes to both OKC Parks. Those changes who knows at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Woah.

Cedar operates Knott's Berry.

I know it is legally not a monopoly but it is close.

It appears the only amusement park companies these days may only be Six Flags, SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, Universal, and Disney.

The later three are almost exclusively in Orlando and Los Angeles. If this is true, Six Flags took all parks in the midwest and the lesser known parks in the tourism districts.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    Woah.

Cedar operates Knott's Berry.

I know it is legally not a monopoly but it is close.

It appears the only amusement park companies these days may only be Six Flags, SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, Universal, and Disney.

The later three are almost exclusively in Orlando and Los Angeles. If this is true, Six Flags took all parks in the midwest and the lesser known parks in the tourism districts.
    Silver Dollar City and Dollywood I believe are operated/owned by the same company, and they seem to hold their own and have upped their coaster game/thrill rides in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Silver Dollar City and Dollywood I believe are operated/owned by the same company, and they seem to hold their own and have upped their coaster game/thrill rides in recent years.
    Ah yeah I forgot about Silver Dollar City.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    Ah yeah I forgot about Silver Dollar City.
    There will also be the new amusement park in Vinita.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    There will also be the new amusement park in Vinita.
    Allegedly

Wonder if Frontier City will be sold since Six Flags did not own Frontier city and just managed it. Maybe the owners of frontier city will possibly sell to them? Frontier city is the odd one out of all the six flags properties since Six Flags did not own Frontier City.

Just hard to believe that 20 years ago, Six Flags was HQ'd at Frontier City.

Thread Information