Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier City

Northeast OKC Re: Frontier City

I am a huge fan of Frontier City and very thankful we have this park in our own backyard. I'm happy for today's announcement . Myself and my GF we get a season pass and make to the park regularly throughout the season. The past few year this park has done so much to its property and infrastructure. I know it doesn't have major thrill rides but you have to keep in mind it is owned by a investment company. So there is so much capitol to spend on Major attraction. I know what they do have it quite a bit for a small park. What they have done to the park has been pretty impressive. They have been pretty consistent on adding a new attraction every year since 2012 when Wild West Water works was added that watering hole was needed for those blazing hot summer days. The park actually has some significant historic rides like Silver Bullet which was built by one of the greatest coaster manufacturers in the World. Anton Shwartzkopf . You look at Silver Bullet and how smooth it for it age. People from all over the Word actually make trips to OKC to ride this coaster at Frontier City. The Diamond back was once part of a famous Roller Coaster from Six Flags Great Adventure called Lightning Loops! Myself I'm happy with the managment at the park it is extremely clean the staff is amazing and super friendly. The landscaping alone around the park. Me and my Girlfriend actually use the park for exercise going up and down the hills. If you haven't been to the park I highly recommend returning the past 4 years they have really turned the park around. It even has a local following fan base called Central Plains Coaster Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/868308479918048/ and Also Frontier City Thrills https://www.facebook.com/FrontierCityThrills/?fref=ts

Default Re: Frontier City

I love Frontier City! Good to see a new ride and more investment, regardless of what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Frontier City vs. Six Flags:

Frontier City seems to add something new every year: Frontier City adds new thrill ride for 2016 season | KFOR.com

Taken my boys when they were small to FC & Six Flags. It took them an average 30-40 minutes (in line) to board the more popular rides; they preferred Frontier City because of proximity and more money to spend. They had season passes to FC & White Water Bay. Those passes were inexpensive if you spent a lot of time @ FC & White Water than paying the daily rate.

If you're already in the Arlington area, Six Flags is a great family park--be prepared to spend a lot of time in long lines. However, I wouldn't drive 3 1/2 hours to go to Arlington--for the little ride time spent on those mega rides at Six Flags (Texas) considering the wait time.
    I tend to lean toward bchris' side on this one - it's really hard for me to justify going to FC with Six Flags just a 3-hour drive south. Nothing really *against* FC, but the expense/value just isn't there - and we're not likely to make more than one visit in a summer to either place. I've been out there a few times, but long ago, so I probably owe the place a fresh look. I don't know what a day's ticket costs, but I guess if I had kids that wanted to go there several times a summer, yeah, FC makes more sense, but I think notionally it will always be a "junior" compared to SFOT.

IN fairness, my family has taken back-to-back "mini-vacations" to the Arlington area the last two years, and the lines at SFoT weren't quite that bad. In fact, we got in to ride the Judge Roy Scream with almost no wait at all - I think the owners have really neglected that ride. At a minimum, the thing needs a fresh coat of paint. It's still a fun ride - and this was on a seasonal weekend. Did the log flume, the toboggan, the mine trains - lines were moderate at best and nothing I thought was a waste of time or led me to turn away and try again later. Crowds were there, but nothing oppressive.

SFoT is implementing their own version of Disney's "FastPASS" system where you can "buy your way" into a shorter line by getting a "temporary ticket" to a designated attraction, then return at a particular time to go through a "shortcut" line. SFOT's error, however, was making it an extra purchase. Value wasn't there for us at all...

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get my family back to Disney once more before everyone's out on their own and graduated. All it takes is money, right...?

A person can also do Six Flags with relatively little waiting in lines if you go at the right time. Me and a friend went last spring and pretty much walked on every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    A person can also do Six Flags with relatively little waiting in lines if you go at the right time. Me and a friend went last spring and pretty much walked on every ride.
    Sunday morning. Great time at Six Flags.

We don't have to always compare everything. Six Flags is Six Flags. Frontier City is investing in Frontier City - which doesn't aspire to be a regional attraction. For locals with kids, the FC/WWB Season Pass is one of the best entertainment deals around.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    We don't have to always compare everything. Six Flags is Six Flags. Frontier City is investing in Frontier City - which doesn't aspire to be a regional attraction. For locals with kids, the FC/WWB Season Pass is one of the best entertainment deals around.
    True, but there isn't anything wrong with wanting better for OKC. "Go to Dallas" shouldn't always be the answer for everything. OKC is at the crossroads of three major interstates and has a large enough population to support a real park. Frontier City will never be Six Flags, but it could be Worlds of Fun.

True, but there isn't anything wrong with wanting better for OKC. "Go to Dallas" shouldn't always be the answer for everything. OKC is at the crossroads of three major interstates and has a large enough population to support a real park. Frontier City will never be Six Flags, but it could be Worlds of Fun.
    Certainly, but people are rarely going to travel to OKC for an amusement park, no matter how nice. At best parks in OKC, for at least the near future, will be an ancillary attraction, for residents, or folks who are here for another reason. While FC can always improve, comparing it to the biggest theme park draw in the largest metro in the south (and the 4th largest in the US) is unrealistic.

At the end of the day, at least it's not Dog Patch USA.

8. Default Re: Frontier City

Took our son to Six Flags twice. He never wanted to go back. Very much preferred Frontier City. Smaller park, shorter lines and you didn't have to spend 6-7 hours coming/going.

No kids at home any longer but we still go occasionally. I like that a family can get a season pass and go on a whim and only stay an hour or so and its no big deal. There are tons of times you can go to FC and its basically dead. I pass it daily and I'm often shocked at the contrast in days/times and the lines. Its also much cleaner than it was when I was a kid.

I think FC wastes way too much money and space with the Theme. Although, I've always preferred true Amusement parks to Theme Parks, and the only Theme Parks that are even worth mentioning on theming are Disney and Herschend parks (and maybe Universal, I haven't been). I just don't believe that anyone is going to FC to check out the Frontier Theme, and they'd get a lot more people if they had more rides, especially if one or two of them were major permanent by design capital rides.

After living in Ohio, I have a really hard time enjoying any of the amusement park scene here. They had parks in the middle of no where up there that I would take of SFOT any day (Knoebels FTW).

I am glad the FC is investing in new rides the last couple of years. I do really enjoy WWB, until it gets crazy busy.

Frontier City has been posting exclusive pictures of ride rehabs and work that is going on in the park during off season even work where the new ride will be located to a local Roller Coaster Club I follow on FB. I think it is neat a park would interact with themepark fan pages. https://www.facebook.com/groups/868308479918048/

Frontier City sucks lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Frontier City sucks lol
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way Plutonic Panda The park wont get any better if it is not supported by local like you who want SFOT, Magic Mountain, Disneyland type park. Small parks don't grow over night. It is Oklahoma's only themepark I'm happy for what it is a small park. It is a decent nice park for it's size. I will support it as much as I can its a real clean park the staff is super friendly and the people they hire enjoy what they do I been to those larger parks YOU don't get that service you don't see a clean well maintained park. You have better rides yes but when I go to a theme park amusment park I go for the whole package. For me to get away and play for afternoon after work during the summer I go to Frontier City or White Water Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

After living in Ohio, I have a really hard time enjoying any of the amusement park scene here. They had parks in the middle of no where up there that I would take of SFOT any day (Knoebels FTW).
    I can relate. Even Six Flags Over Texas is rather "meh" compared to Carowinds in Charlotte. Carowinds is owned by the same company as Cedar Point in Ohio and has many of the same type of rides.

Frontier City is a great place to take the kids, but when you've lived near a real amusement park its kind of hard to get excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way Plutonic Panda The park wont get any better if it is not supported by local like you who want SFOT, Magic Mountain, Disneyland type park. Small parks don't grow over night.
    I will support Frontier City whenever it's worth the cost to me to buy a ticket or a season pass.

And nobody is asking for Frontier City to be a Disneyland-level park. It is not that and will never be that. However, take a look at parks like Worlds of Fun, Silver Dollar City, Magic Springs (Hot Springs AR), and other medium sized parks that are great regional attractions. That's what Frontier City could and should strive to be.

Blog Entries

I will support Frontier City whenever it's worth the cost to me to buy a ticket or a season pass.

And nobody is asking for Frontier City to be a Disneyland-level park. It is not that and will never be that. However, take a look at parks like Worlds of Fun, Silver Dollar City, Magic Springs (Hot Springs AR), and other medium sized parks that are great regional attractions. That's what Frontier City could and should strive to be.
    Very-well stated bchris02,

Frontier City has continued (last 5 years) to add some nice ride attractions to make it a more viable park. FC doesn't have Wedgewood & Springlake amusements parks to compete against; they have this market all to themselves. Their geographic proximity could make it a great regional attraction.

Look for some future big ride to be unveiled before 2020; FC is getting there.

16. Default Re: Frontier City

No idea how anyone can think $70 is too much for a season pass to both Frontier City and White Water Bay is not a good value. Especially since they also offer a bring-a-friend for free. Sure, you can compare it to the cost of a pass at Six Flags if you want. But to me I've never understood why anyone would compare FC to 6F. They are both amusement parks but that's where the similarity to me ends. To me FC is a local entertainment amenity that it not going to be a big draw for tourists. I actually personally prefer that and that's where I'd spend my dollars. Would I welcome a huge amusement park to draw in out of state dollars? Sure. But, like Bricktown, I'd support it, but I'd probably almost never patronize it.

Like I said before, I can't imagine visiting a park like 6F multiple times within a season, and certainly not for just an hour or two at a time. However, that's exactly how I treat FC and I think that's a great feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I think FC wastes way too much money and space with the Theme. Although, I've always preferred true Amusement parks to Theme Parks, and the only Theme Parks that are even worth mentioning on theming are Disney and Herschend parks (and maybe Universal, I haven't been). I just don't believe that anyone is going to FC to check out the Frontier Theme, and they'd get a lot more people if they had more rides, especially if one or two of them were major permanent by design capital rides.

I am glad the FC is investing in new rides the last couple of years. I do really enjoy WWB, until it gets crazy busy.
    Yeah, but the wholesale translation of some theme parks into amusement ride parks has ruined them. My wife and I went to Silver Dollar City up near Branson the spring after we married, and it was wonderful. It was a *theme* park, and they upheld that theme beautifully and in a very entertaining manner. Fast forward about fifteen years, and when we went back with our teenage kids, and the place was now an "amusement park," and almost entirely worthless. None of the things that we had hoped to enjoy were still there, nothing of the things that made it such an attractive destination "theme" park. It was homogenized into a ride-stuffed place like every other "amusement" park, and had nothing special to offer any more.

I think themed parks still very much have their place, if done correctly. Not everything has to have a killer roller coaster.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way Plutonic Panda The park wont get any better if it is not supported by local like you who want SFOT, Magic Mountain, Disneyland type park. Small parks don't grow over night. It is Oklahoma's only themepark I'm happy for what it is a small park. It is a decent nice park for it's size.
    Well, not to speak for PluPlan, but it isn't his obligation to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue
    I will support it as much as I can its a real clean park the staff is super friendly and the people they hire enjoy what they do I been to those larger parks YOU don't get that service you don't see a clean well maintained park. You have better rides yes but when I go to a theme park amusment park I go for the whole package. For me to get away and play for afternoon after work during the summer I go to Frontier City or White Water Bay.
    That's a risky generalization. Disneyworld is one of the most amazingly maintained group of parks of any variety you'll find anywhere. I am amazed at how they keep the place clean and manicured given the sheer volume of people that pass through. SeaWorld in San Antonio, while not a Disney-sized park, is still a pretty large park, and when my family went there just a few years ago it was also and extremely neat, clean park. My experience at the *smaller* parks like FC that the issue of cleanliness and maintenance is typically a harder issue to master.

I guess my point here is that while I'm surely not going to bash FC, if that's what floats someone's boat, great, to each their own, but I also don't see a problem with hoping/aspiring for more. Stretching that goal line a bit is what got us where we are, and I don't blame anyone for dreaming (however unrealistically) for a bigger-scale park in OK. Heck, I'm old enough to remember the circulating legends that Disney once sought to open a mid-America park in the vein of DW right here in OK due to its central location and intersection between I-35 and I-40. Likely just urban legend, but it sure was tantalizing to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    No idea how anyone can think $70 is too much for a season pass to both Frontier City and White Water Bay is not a good value. Especially since they also offer a bring-a-friend for free. Sure, you can compare it to the cost of a pass at Six Flags if you want. But to me I've never understood why anyone would compare FC to 6F. They are both amusement parks but that's where the similarity to me ends. To me FC is a local entertainment amenity that it not going to be a big draw for tourists. I actually personally prefer that and that's where I'd spend my dollars. Would I welcome a huge amusement park to draw in out of state dollars? Sure. But, like Bricktown, I'd support it, but I'd probably almost never patronize it.

Like I said before, I can't imagine visiting a park like 6F multiple times within a season, and certainly not for just an hour or two at a time. However, that's exactly how I treat FC and I think that's a great feature.
    I agree its another entertainment attraction like Bricktown, The Adventure River District,WhiteWater Bay, even Andy Alligators, Main Event, OKC Zoo and even Top Golf. It's nice to have that option even though it's a small park its nice to have that option to ride a coaster and other amusement rides or watch a outdoor concert at the park. Alot of cities across the nation don't have such a variety of entertainment. So we are lucky to have what we have in this Metro area. I'm thankful for it being there and I will support all the entertainment options we have all that it will do in return is make things that much more better in time. I like this city and proud to call OKC home.

Blog Entries

Let's appreciate what we have. Some want to see progress; we're not a Dallas and for me that's fine.

FC is slightly above modest growth for an amusement park.

Recall (70-80s) that a multi-million dollar 7 Continents Amusement Park was planned between OKC-TUL:

...Stroud, boasts of a multimillion-dollar theme park built on a piece of land the size of New Jersey have also proved untrue. When unveiled, promoters said there was no question the $100 million Seven Continents Amusement Park would be built. It never happened and the land was auctioned off two years ago.
    Is it really a biggie? | News OK

a major horse track, domed stadium and massive airport to serve the state's two largest cities.

None was bigger, grander and got further along in planning than Seven Continents.

The land where planners hoped to build a massive amusement park, Seven Continents, stands virtually vacant these days on the northwest side of Stroud.
    Economic Merry-Go-Round Killed Dreams for Stroud Theme Park - Tulsa World: Archives

Our weather has a lot to do with a major theme park tourist attraction ever taking root. These parks need to operate year round, attract tourists who would come to the area for other things besides a theme park.

Count our blessings, FC & the soon-to-be Riversport Rapids facility I-34/I-40 exchange has potential to be a great tourist attraction.

Are we on the verge or on the fringe; what do we want?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Yeah, but the wholesale translation of some theme parks into amusement ride parks has ruined them. My wife and I went to Silver Dollar City up near Branson the spring after we married, and it was wonderful. It was a *theme* park, and they upheld that theme beautifully and in a very entertaining manner. Fast forward about fifteen years, and when we went back with our teenage kids, and the place was now an "amusement park," and almost entirely worthless. None of the things that we had hoped to enjoy were still there, nothing of the things that made it such an attractive destination "theme" park. It was homogenized into a ride-stuffed place like every other "amusement" park, and had nothing special to offer any more.

I think themed parks still very much have their place, if done correctly. Not everything has to have a killer roller coaster.
    I completely agree. I just think very few parks nail the theming well enough to hang their hat on it and if you aren't going to nail it, you'd probably be better off not trying. Now I think the Cedar Fair Parks pull it off quite well, especially the former Paramount parks like Kings Island and Carowinds. They are straight up amusement parks, the CEO is very insistent that they are not theme parks, but they are still very nice beautiful parks.

I also think you can be a great amusement park without the killer roller coaster, but you have to have good operation and bring good solid flat rides to the table that are operated well. Knoebel's is king is this realm. They only have two coasters, both fairly small woodies, but very highly ranked. But they are one of the top parks in the world.

I can relate. Even Six Flags Over Texas is rather "meh" compared to Carowinds in Charlotte. Carowinds is owned by the same company as Cedar Point in Ohio and has many of the same type of rides.

Frontier City is a great place to take the kids, but when you've lived near a real amusement park its kind of hard to get excited about it.
    I haven't made it to Carowinds yet, but from what I've read it is pretty similar to Kings Island in Cincinnati, except more metal vs wood. When I lived in Cincinnati I would go to Kings Island twice a week, every week. Cedar Fair operates their parks 10 times better than Six Flags, and unless the park is just slammed there are almost no lines.

In fact, I rode Diamond Back at KI the day it opened. The line was all the way out of the queue, then wrapped 3/4 of the way around the large pond there, plus a lot of temporary switch backs. They were estimating the line was 3 times longer than the rather large queue. I thought the line would be 4 hours, it was actually a little less than 90 minutes. Why? They designed it to absolutely eat people, ran three trains at all times, and were very fast at load/unload. They could do over 1500 people an hour, true average. Meanwhile, at SFOT you'll wait in 90+ minute queues for rides open 20 years because they purposely operate them inefficiently (this may have changed recently, but it used to be their playbook to manufacture at least an hour queue).

Well I'm sorry you feel that way Plutonic Panda The park wont get any better if it is not supported by local like you who want SFOT, Magic Mountain, Disneyland type park. Small parks don't grow over night. It is Oklahoma's only themepark I'm happy for what it is a small park. It is a decent nice park for it's size. I will support it as much as I can its a real clean park the staff is super friendly and the people they hire enjoy what they do I been to those larger parks YOU don't get that service you don't see a clean well maintained park. You have better rides yes but when I go to a theme park amusment park I go for the whole package. For me to get away and play for afternoon after work during the summer I go to Frontier City or White Water Bay.
    Thanks for the moderate response. I should have added more than "the place just sucks."

I want to see the parks do better.

One thing I though that would be cool is to have admission free and charge by the ride and host events and concerts there(I know they already do) and focus more on it being an shopping, eating, theme type destination rather than an all day theme park thing.

You could develop the current parking lot and turn it into an urban old western village with shopping, bars, things like that. I'd also like to see an arcade similar to the one in Downtown Disney in Orlando.

As for White Water Bay, the park should be almost completely remodeled(have they done much besides add a couple new rides since 2004?) and expand it into the parking lot and build structured AND and additional expansion across the highway into the Hodges trucking business and build a giant skybridge across I-40. You'd removed that blighted trucking thing and attract more people at the same time.

Something like this

Default Re: Frontier City to add waterpark?!!

The owners of 'that blighted trucking thing' might disagree with your description of their business, not to mention the availability of their property for the amusement of others.

Default Re: Frontier City to add waterpark?!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    The owners of 'that blighted trucking thing' might disagree with your description of their business, not to mention the availability of their property for the amusement of others.
    I'm sure they would disagree with my description.

Thread Information