Widgets Magazine
Page 108 of 125 FirstFirst ... 858103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3119

Thread: First National Center

Default Re: First National Center

The Drake is closed. I don't know if it's permanent, hope not. Such a cool space for any restaurant.

2. Default Re: First National Center

I concur on Oceanaire. Ate at the one in DC a few years ago and it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Culturally Oklahoma has very little in common with the southwest. I would consider the cultural "southwest" to be SoCal, Arizona, southern Utah, NM, and Southern Colo. Oklahoma's culture is much more in line with Kansas and Texas than it is the west. But this is off topic...
    All of those have a heavy Indian population on reservations similar to OK

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    All of those have a heavy Indian population on reservations similar to OK
    Those tribes are indigenous to that region, and have a long history of belonging to the land while most of Oklahoma’s native population was relocated from the southeast. If anything culturally would align more with the southeast heritage than Mexican tribes in the southwest.

Oklahoma isn't one thing. Tulsa and northeast Oklahoma are a bit more midwest, southeast Oklahoma is a bit more southern, central Oklahoma is a bit more plains to me. I've lived in Wichita, Kansas and DFW and both are similar, but I'd say Oklahoma is more similar to Kansas than Texas on the whole. Texas being formally Mexico (much larger Tejana/o and Mexican presence) and a former Confederate slave state (closer to ties to the South) adds historical distinctions that are different into the present.

I will say that it is amazing how quickly the "which region does OK belong to" discussion can eat up a whole page of any thread in a heartbeat.

You'd think after so many of these discussions we'd all be able to categorize Oklahoma for what it is: Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Those tribes are indigenous to that region, and have a long history of belonging to the land while most of Oklahoma’s native population was relocated from the southeast. If anything culturally would align more with the southeast heritage than Mexican tribes in the southwest.
    The Panhandle of Oklahoma was literally Mexico at one time. The plains tribes, of which there are many that call Oklahoma home, certainly align with the Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The Panhandle of Oklahoma was literally Mexico at one time. The plains tribes, of which there are many that call Oklahoma home, certainly align with the Southwest.
    Don't the Plains tribes align with the Plains itself (hence their name)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Don't the Plains tribes align with the Plains itself (hence their name)?
    They never called themselves anything besides what they called themselves. Individuals have their own identity.

Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    They never called themselves anything besides what they called themselves. Individuals have their own identity.
    Well, yeah, I know that, just like the Vikings never called themselves Vikings, it's just a handy shorthand label for categorization/differentiation. I was just poking at the fact that "Plains" tribes lived/worked on the Plains (for the most part) and not the "Southwest" (for the most part). Good point, though...

Oklahoma is an amazing nexus point of cultures. I was not trying to be a jerk.

Oklahoma is an amazing nexus point of cultures. I was not trying to be a jerk.
    I know, I wasn't either, like I said, it was a good point. And, as others have said, it's pretty much just Oklahoma (we're one of only 4 states with 10 or more eco-regions, so we have influences/characteristics from all sides, but I still think that it's part of the Great Plains, not Southwest or Midwest ).

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Of course. And the panhandle definitely has a more southwestern feel because of that. I didn’t say EVERY tribe in Oklahoma, but most of our largest tribes were relocated from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Their ancestral roots are the southeast.

I will say, as someone who has not lived in Oklahoma for years -when visiting it does not have a southwest feel except for in the furthest western reaches of the state. The people do not reflect a southwestern desert attitude; but a down to earth heartland demeanor. Which in many ways is even better. I stand by my argument that culturally Oklahoma fits other regions better (but not perfectly).

Perhaps this is a problem of a young state, with a troubled history of crimes against humanity and the forced relocation of thousands of native people. The true identity hasn’t established itself yet. It doesn’t help that the state is in the transition zone between different geological and regional cultures. Perhaps instead of marketing Oklahoma has a southwest state, the new slogan should be “Oklahoma: It is whatever you want it to be” because in many ways, that is true. It’s a very diverse state.

14. Default Re: First National Center

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I get a completely different vibe when I’m in Kansas but maybe that’s just me.

OKC comes off as a mixture of Midwest and southwest and Tulsa seems like more of a southern type city.
    +1
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Didn't someone start a thread for this so we could get back to First National Center?

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46229

What an amazing concept in todays political climate

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I get a completely different vibe when I’m in Kansas but maybe that’s just me. Texas? I suppose the alternative would be to label Oklahoma an extension of Texas lol.

OKC comes off as a mixture of Midwest and southwest and Tulsa seems like more of a southern type city.
    I think Tulsa feels A LOT like Wichita (where I grew up) and far more midwestern than southern. That's just me though. I feel like Tulsa is trying to be much more Indianapolis or Chicago-like than anything in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    I think Tulsa feels A LOT like Wichita (where I grew up) and far more midwestern than southern. That's just me though. I feel like Tulsa is trying to be much more Indianapolis or Chicago-like than anything in the South.
    I agree. I grew up in Tulsa and lived in both OKC and Wichita. I think they have more of a midwestern feel, but maybe that's just where I hung out. I always said Wichita is like a smaller version of Tulsa and, to a degree, OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Currently live in downtown Tulsa and absolutely agree with this. Definitely more of a Midwestern vibe here than in OKC.

The ability to send a good topic into an uncontrolled spiral is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    The ability to send a good topic into an uncontrolled spiral is impressive.
    It's one of the things I enjoy about this forum, honestly. Would get fairly old if we were only talking about a years-long renovation which still has a ways to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It's one of the things I enjoy about this forum, honestly. Would get fairly old if we were only talking about a years-long renovation which still has a ways to go.
    I heard it has to be done this year, funding wise, so not as long as it seems.

They have largely finished the big heavy lifting pieces such as reworking the east structure into a parking garage, repairing the exterior limestone, all the inside demolition, etc.

Now they are working on the finishes with cleanup of the Great Banking Hall and build-out of the restaurants, hotel rooms, and apartments.

This should really start to come together this year.

It will be really exciting to watch it make some real visible progress.

Thread Information