Widgets Magazine

Thread: Classen Hills

Classen Classen Hills

New office building planned for 1603 Classen.

Two homes would be demolished.

Default Re: Classen Hills

if i remember correctly one of these was the location of the NoneSuch precurser NANI

Nice design. Good land use.

Classen Re: Classen Hills

Hello, I'm the designer responsible here. This is all conceptual imagery provided for the zoning application. 1603 Is unfortunately in pretty bad shape. I personally am hoping to relocate 1605. It is my old house. I lived and worked there for three years. It's a place that's very dear to me, so I'm hoping there's a long term solution for relocating it.

The zoning here was written in a way that will allow for residential, commercial, and retail. This is what the Classen corridor needs more of. We hope the project finds the right buyer that will develop it in a way that is consistent with what we imagined.

Happy to answer any questions. Thanks for the compliments on our work!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    if i remember correctly one of these was the location of the NoneSuch precurser NANI
    It was! 1605! They were featured in 405 Magazine and the photos are inside 1605! The house has a ton of cool history.

I always hate losing old architecture but tearing down one or two dilapidated homes while many others of similar style still exist a few feet away makes it significantly easier to swallow.

I’m undecided how I feel about the design of the new building, though I suppose it’ll be an upgrade to most of the businesses along Classen, especially since the structure parallels the sidewalk. It reminds me a lot of Catholic Charities just south of 13th.

Love the plan, the Classen Corridor was always a prime area for redevelopment in my opinion. "Classen Hills" is a pretty milquetoast name but who am I to judge a building?

That's a pretty cool looking design. As macchiato stated, Classen/Western is so primed for redevelopment. Especially between Main and NW 10th Streets.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBird View Post
    Hello, I'm the designer responsible here. This is all conceptual imagery provided for the zoning application. 1603 Is unfortunately in pretty bad shape. I personally am hoping to relocate 1605. It is my old house. I lived and worked there for three years. It's a place that's very dear to me, so I'm hoping there's a long term solution for relocating it.

The zoning here was written in a way that will allow for residential, commercial, and retail. This is what the Classen corridor needs more of. We hope the project finds the right buyer that will develop it in a way that is consistent with what we imagined.

Happy to answer any questions. Thanks for the compliments on our work!
    Nice looking building and cool that you have a personal history with the land.

I have always wondered what is up with the white building directly south at 1106 nw 15th. Two story house but it has no windows and just a/c units built into the walls. No signs indicating what it is other than letters on wall saying OKCAD. This post made me curious so I looked it up and it is a club for deaf people. https://www.okcad.org/

I always wonder if the buildings on the east side of Classen, between 14th and 15th, are vacant. I don't remember seeing light comes out of those buildings at night. All together, they'll make a cool boutique hotel complex.

Quote Originally Posted by macchiato View Post
    Love the plan, the Classen Corridor was always a prime area for redevelopment in my opinion. "Classen Hills" is a pretty milquetoast name but who am I to judge a building?
    Have you considered Cl@ss3n Hillz?

I love the plan, btw. Thanks for the info JollyBird.

I feel a restaurant vibe in there somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 121023.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	18551

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 121035.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	18552

This also passed through to Technical Eval today at the CC meeting.

It appears as if there will be a curb with grass and trees separating the bike lane from the vehicle lanes. Is that really happening or just the rendering. I would assume it would just be for the section in front of this new build.

Also why not try to get some angle street parking on NW 15th and maybe some parallel parking on Classen with the bike lanes moved in. I assume the parking is planned to be in the rear but I bet its only about 10 spots. Having it on street would allow for better use of that valuable land. And since youre near the BRT stops I think you allowed to have less parking spots.

Hope I dont sound nitpicky! This will be a good development either way.

That bike lane is still in the main street. What you are seeing in the rendering is a grass median with trees where the median on Classen exists, of course without grass or trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That bike lane is still in the main street. What you are seeing in the rendering is a grass median with trees where the median on Classen exists, of course without grass or trees.
    I dont know how i didnt see it better in the southeast view image but youre right. I saw the East view image and I thought the center median was nearer to the bike lane.

Thread Information