Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 125 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156106 ... LastLast

Thread: First National Center

Default Re: First National Update!

Yes.

They said that marble floor wasn't original but it seems like a strange priority.

Perhaps they are redoing all the floors on the ground level and wanted to start there and do it right.

I agree Pete and jbrown, I too thought that was a strange "first priority" although I'm sure it was more for show. Too bad (although I'm thankful) that Devon stole their thunder with the press. Heck, try to take the pieces of the marble floor out in sections and then auction it off. I wouldn't mind using it to do a floor or countertop in my downtown condo, and have my own piece of OKC history to tell about!

I was reading yesterday's edition of the City Sentinel (former MidCity Advocate) and found this rendering of the soon to be renovated north lobby and addition of a conceirge stand.

4. Default Re: First National Update!

Good follow-up article and blog note by Steve Lackmeyer:

Article: Clock ticking on strategy for First National Tower | NewsOK.com ... the clock is ticking

Blog: So What's the Deal? Read Tuesday's Main Street ... letter by John Hefner, Jr.

I don't know if it's the same barber shop mentioned, but here's a pic of the old 1st National Barber Shop ... I don't know when ... the image was provided to me by Norman Thompson ...

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...larbershop.jpg

Here's the rendering provided by Milbank Real Estate showing the proposed Park Avenue Entry ...

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...alestate01.jpg

The present "real" north entry is this, by the Hallmark shop ...

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...laddition2.jpg

Superimposing the proposed entry over the present real entry would make the proposed entry something like this ...

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...addition2a.jpg

It looks good enough, but it doesn't quite fall in the major news category, I think, and Mr. Hefner's concerns strike a chord with me.

There is a little more in my blog's 1st National update: Doug Dawgz Blog: First National Center

The article mentions tenants not understanding why tearing up the marble floor in the main entry would be one of the first priorities -- just as mentioned on this thread.

I can see wanting to get the entire ground floor up to snuff, but the owners are doing a bad job of communicating. How many tenants do you think went to their national website to find these renderings? Why weren't they released to the local press?

Steve makes a great point in that column: With Devon Tower on the drawing boards, there will soon be lots more vacant space downtown and FNC better do a lot of work (and PR) if it wants to increase it's occupancy.

6. Default Re: First National Update!

The owner has more to say on this matter - I've posted it at OKC Central — All about downtown OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The owner has more to say on this matter - I've posted it at OKC Central — All about downtown OKC.
    I am staking a lot of my optimism on the reputation of the ownership. Milbank knows how to "do buildings." Their website has a section exclusively devopted to FNC:
    First National Center - REborn - Milbankre.com

Steve, it's time for a big thank you for the blog. OKC Central is truly a great compliment to your writings in The Oklahoman. You've done a marvelous job.

8. Default Re: First National Update!

I agree, the blog is great Steve!

I'm not jumping on the pessimistic bandwagon here (driven by Spartan). Although I would love to see them announce a massive multi-million dollar renovation with residential included, I don't have a problem with them doing it in phases. How many times have we been burned by developers with big broken promises? Look at Tulsa and the Kanbar fiasco. We should be glad that someone with the pedigree of Milbank is willing to invest at all in Oklahoma City. I'd rather them make one promise at a time. They don't have a history of buying buildings, making small upgrades, and then dumping them back on the market. I don't know why some think that's what will happen. The ripping up of the marble in the lobby disturbed me, but I trust that it will be replaced with something better and nicer.

Let's wait and see.

If you look at their site the building (First National) is obviously very important to them and their portfolio of buildings is impressive.

I say good things will come to those who wait.

I third the "great blog Steve!" sentiments.

The owners are in a tough spot but I've seen some of their projects first-hand here in L.A. and the term quality is more than accurate. They do things right.

But as much as they keep saying they don't want to make promises they can't keep or set expectations too high too soon, their latest announcement seemed to do exactly that.

When you put up signs that say a building is to be "reborn" and then more than a month earlier build anticipation for what you say is going to be a major announcement... Then only announce $1.5 million in improvements which includes tearing out an area that almost no one sees as a high priority, you are going to get a fair amount of backlash.

I know they'll sink a lot of money into that place in the longer term and that's the most important thing. Hopefully, they can patch things up with current and potential tenants and keep that place somewhat occupied until they can get some major work done.

As I mentioned previously, it was only about 20 years ago the existing owners merely gave the whole complex away to charity just to get rid of it. I'm quite sure in another five years or so we'll see substantial improvements across the board and a building and complex the entire city can be proud of.

11. Default Re: First National Update!

I agree the PR on this was poorly handled. They shouldn't have teased a major announcement if they didn't have a major annoucement, LOL.

Well said jbrown! As a professional in marketing & PR, I can tell you it was poor PR. I agree with Pete in that Milbank does what it says, but calling it a "major announcement" was wrong, they should have called it "an announcement" or "our next update on FNC".

If "original" is what they are going for I would start by tearing down those two crappy-ass expansion from the 60's and 70's. Those buildings suck. I don't think a new enterance is going to help them.

14. Default Re: First National Update!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Well said jbrown! As a professional in marketing & PR, I can tell you it was poor PR. I agree with Pete in that Milbank does what it says, but calling it a "major announcement" was wrong, they should have called it "an announcement" or "our next update on FNC".
    I don't know if they really called it a "big announcement", but they knew that it wasn't that big, so they should have just announced it when they did, rather than the "something big is coming"-style tease a month beforehand.

jbrown, they were teasing it as "a major announcement". I'll see if I can find an article.

Default First National's Barber Shop to reopen

Personally, I never knew it closed. It was open not too long ago, but I know the old owner was getting old. It's a really neat hidden gem in our city.

Old First Tower barbershop groomed to reopen Aug. 1
    Daily Oklahoman
    By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

The old barbershop at downtown's First National Tower — considered by some to be almost as historic as the building's Great Banking Hall — is set to open up next month with a brand new crew.

Jamie White said she was in talks with another downtown property owner when she was introduced to the old barbershop on the First National Tower's 14th floor. Much of the Art Deco-style barbershop dates back to the tower's opening in 1931 and it was one of downtown's oldest barbershops when it closed last year.

"It's been my dream to own my own shop and I feel downtown is the place to be right now,” said White, who has worked for three years in Nichols Hills. "When I saw this place, I dropped negotiations with all the other properties.”

What to look for
    White said the barbershop's grand opening is set for Aug. 1. She will be accompanied by three stylists. Improvements to the shop also will include a new private pedicure area.
    Emily Dobson, First National's property manager, said White's interest in keeping much of the shop's Art Deco tiling, the old fixtures and chairs was important to closing the deal.

"The fact that Jamie is wanting to preserve the integrity of what the shop used to be is very important to us,” Dobson said. "We get stopped sometimes in the halls by people asking about the barbershop, is it coming back, when is it coming back — and now we've got the right girl.”

Dobson said she has heard plenty of stories of the barbershop's history.

"Lots of business deals went down here — this was where the men spent their lunch hour, getting away from the office, doing deals,” Dobson said.

White said her favorite feature of the shop are the flower tiles above each mirror.

"Everybody thinks it's marble,” White said, "but it's really glass tile.”

The 14th floor barbershop at First National Tower still looks much as it did when it first opened as shown in this early day photo. Provided by Milbank Real Estate

Default Re: First National's Barber Shop to reopen

First National Center barber shop reopened with simplicity in mind
    Journal Record
    July 31, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Much of the leaseable space in the First National Center can be outfitted for a tenant’s needs, but one space on the 14th floor could hardly be anything but a barber shop.

Since the First National tower was built in 1931, a 929-square-foot space looking east has been a barber shop, where the art-deco décor has changed little in nearly 80 years.

But last year it closed after the owners of the shop declined to sign a five-year lease that included a rent increase. The shop sat vacant until Jamie White came on the scene hoping to open her first barber shop. White has been working at the Nichols Hills Plaza Style Shop for the past 3.5 years, training for the day she would open her own salon.

Downtown was her desired spot, but she considered other sites before the space in First National won her over.“I was in negotiations with two other buildings downtown,” she said. “But once I saw this shop I was like, ‘Wow.’”

The shop, called the Barber Salon, still has many of its original fixtures, including black and white glass tiles on the walls, black porcelain sinks and mirrors lining the walls behind the barber chairs.“You can just feel a positive spirit and flow in this barber shop,” White said.

The shop will open Friday, staffed by White and four other stylists. They plan to cater to men and will offer haircuts, manicures, pedicures and waxing. “We’re trying to make it just a barber shop,” White said.

A room has also been added to the space to offer privacy.“A lot of men don’t want to sit in a shop and get a pedicure,” White said.

Lee Hill cut hair in the 14th floor barber shop for 26 years. When the shop closed last year she rode the elevator down to the 7th floor and got a job at Inspiration Hair and Nails.“I’m staying here,” she said. “I came down here when it closed up there and this has just worked out great and I don’t see any reason to change.” But Hill said she is glad to see the 14th floor shop reopening, and wished White success. “We’ll do all we can to help her out,” Hill said. “I really like what she’s done with the shop.”

Tommy Caldwell, who formerly shined shoes on the 14th floor, also moved to Inspiration last year. White said she plans to refer those seeking a shoeshine to him.

In addition to the private pedicure room, White has reupholstered the barber chairs and installed a flat-screen television so customers can watch the news and keep an eye on their stocks.

The salon will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. White hasn’t ruled out opening on Saturdays if the demand exists. White said the management of the building, Milbank Real Estate Services, has been more than helpful in getting the shop ready to reopen.“I came in and told them what I wanted,” she said. “Pretty much everything was here, it just needed a little polish.”

Jamie White, owner and operator of the Barber Salon on the 14th floor of the First National Center in downtown Oklahoma City, is shown Wednesday in her salon. (Photo by Chris Albers)

What's the latest on the First National Center. I know the barber shop has been reopened, even got my haircut there recently and I saw where Devon was expanding but is there anything really going on?

They are five months into the entry / concourse renovation, so I would imagine they would be close to wrapping up what they called "Phase I".

Anybody been in that building lately?

Pete, I work there. Phase I lol.. not even close.

They had the owners down today, so a lot of work got done over the weekend and today. I don't even think they finalized the plans on what to do until last week.

Didn't they tear up the floor in the lobby? Hasn't that been replaced yet?

They started replacing the tile.. last Thursday?

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post em.

They've had a dumpster or two out front for awhile now. It appears they are gutting it out so they can bring it up to modern standards. Let's wait for some of Toadrax's pictures.

Sorry for the delay, I am a noob at taking pictures and the camera on my iphone is scratched up anyway. This is about all that is going on that you can see, there might be a lot of other work going on in places I can't get to.

When you come in from the skywalk.

Ceiling.

Tile.

Thread Information