Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 125 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: First National Center

Default Re: First National Update!

I'll be interesting in seeing all of your reactions to what they announce.
    -Steve

Steve - are you saying you already know?

2. Default Re: First National Update!

I'll try to get something on NewsOK as soon as the announcement is made.

can you get something on OKCTalk before an announcement is made? We won't tell anyone.

I'll guess that it has something to do with the Great Banking Hall, a major tennant, and that they've signed up someone to turn the old Beacon Club back into a restaurant.

Personally, I don't think that it will be anything regarding tenants because the Journal Record article and the Daily Oklahoman clearly said that what they were doing would be 'visible' and if it meant interior changes, that is no different than what they are doing already. I wonder if it isn't something like a facade upgrade, sandblasting the building something like that. Something that is well...visible!

Thoughts???

Any breaking news on First National??

Nothing yet on newsok.com or Milbank's website.

Not sure the exact time of the press conference.

8. Default Re: First National Update!

Any plans for money to be spent on other parts of Oklahoma City,
    or are we just supposed to be spending money on downtown now,
    because a lot of developers evidently have decided that's a good investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice View Post
    Probably because it is a good investment. The ROI on downtown property is going through the roof right now.

10. Default Re: First National Update!

HELLO!! Where were you last december when voters approved a nearly 1 billion dollar bond issue for the entire, sprawling city??

Alice is getting on my nerves with her posts. Anyone else agree??

12. Default Re: First National Update!

mmmhmmmmm

I think the lack of vision by some of the haters in this forum is refelctive of the mindset of some of the citizens of OKC and why OKC is just now moving into the future. We need more people that want progress in the city, and are willing to pass meaningful measure to support the city. Measures that make our city the city other cities turn to when they need innovative solutions to fund special projects.

14. Default Re: First National Update!

I probably shouldn't say this, but some of us liked Oklahoma the
    way it was and I've never heard anyone say they wished Oklahoma
    or Oklahoma City could be like Dallas. I always thought it was nice
    that Oklahoma wasn't trying to be like everywhere else. Not that
    it was all great, but it was really nice that we weren't trying to
    be something we're not. After hearing respones like "why don't you
    move?" which is so charming, why can't someone say "if you want
    this city to be like San Antonio, why don't You move?"

I'm not sure that I'm particularly interested in taking direction from
    people who don't live here or people who have recently moved here
    telling us what we need so they can make more money.

If businessmen want to develop downtown, they should use their
    own money. Bricktown is ok, but I honestly don't go down there
    very often. Some of us live in other parts of Oklahoma City and the
    only things that developers are interested in putting where we live
    are storage units. While lovely to look at, maybe they could put
    them downtown and maybe our library branches could be updated,
    and some of our roads fixed out here, and maybe someone could
    plant a tree or two.

If I had just moved to anywhere, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be
    telling everybody what they needed to be doing.

15. Default Re: First National Update!

Again. BOND ISSUE. And need I link you to extensive discussions of the many suburban retail/office developments going on in the suburbs?

I probably shouldn't say this, but some of us liked Oklahoma the
    way it was and I've never heard anyone say they wished Oklahoma
    or Oklahoma City could be like Dallas.
    Well, that's what happens when you live in a city that is growing and evolving.... There are plenty of cities that are completely stagnant and void of growth. If that's your thing than maybe you should look to live somewhere else. Heck the town of 800 that I grew up in is 100% identical to what it was in 1983 when my family moved there. And I am sure there are plenty of people that live there like that fact.... the one's that don't, move away..... it's simple.

I don't like Dallas which is why I don't live there. I don't like Wichita which is why I don't live there. I don't like LA which is why I don't live there. It would be completely insane and idiotic for me to live in one of those cities and then whine and complain about how the city is growing and changing because I didn't want things to change, but somehow it's okay for the people of OKC to do it?

By the way, your description DOES make you anti-progression, not a conscientious tax-payer.... IMHO.....

17. Default Re: First National Update!

And if you took the time, BobAliceskidillyoomkapoomp, you will see that very rarely does someone on this board suggest we be like Dallas. Instead, you will see a broad spectrum of cities suggested as models, but no one wants to be exactly like any one city, and certainly not like Dallas. Blech.

I was just in Dallas the last few days, we certainly aren't even close to becoming Dallas. Just when things are looking good for OKC, we're blown away just by some of the suburban development in Dallas. I don't want to be Dallas or any other city, but to say we're becoming like......well, that isn't even close to the case. Cities larger and smaller than us are growing at a much faster rate than we are. Just in one or two Dallas suburbs have more skyscapers than all of OKC, period. I was at Northpark Center Mall in Dallas yesterday, which is about the quality of our Shepard Mall today (seriously, the asthetics are horrible), but they just completed a 1 BILLION dollar renovation and have the finest retail shops in the world in that mall, and the mall looks old. Now that is investment. We talk about the $3 billion that has been invested in inner OKC since MAPS, and Dallas gets that in one or two projects.

This all just goes to say that we're not even close to becoming another Dallas, but we have to pass things like BIG LEAGUE CITY and other initiatives, just to MAINTAIN ourselves, let alone grow or stay competitive in the region.

19. Default Re: First National Update!

Northpark has interesting aesthetics. I wouldn't say they are as bad as Shepherd, but they are about like our Northpark. It's a blocky, all-brick style. I don't care for it, but at least they were consistent with their newer additions to the mall.

First National plans new look
    By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

Milbank Real Estate, asset and property managers of downtown's historic First National Center, today announced they have filed a $1.5 million permit for renovation of the landmark building. The renovation will include extensive interior remodeling of the building's arcade level and the addition of a concierge stand and services for all tenants. An additional investment will go toward the construction of a new north entrance.

Lt. Gov. Jari Askins is set to attend an afternoon celebration that will include a ground breaking in the lobby.

"We are excited to mark the new beginning of First National Center," said Emily Dobson, property manager for Milbank Real Estate. "The changes we are making will be visible, so everyone who enters First National Center will know that something big is happening."

Renovations at First National Center being announced this afternoon include a new north entry facing Park Avenue. - Provided by Milbank Real Estate

21. Default Re: First National Update!

How disappointing.

What is that picture?

It's the section of the adjacent FNC buildings that are mid-block. The photo is of a proposed new entry that faces Park.

Glad to hear they are going to spend some money on the arcade but that building is going to need a lot more than this to make it competitive.

And they still aren't saying anything about the Banking Hall.

23. Default Re: First National Update!

Oh ok. I was afraid that was on the art-deco section. I have no problems with a new facade for the ugly 60's era additions.

Looks to me that that entrance will be on the right side of the mostly glass section:

I just don't see how this building can become competitive with modern office buildings without at least an 8 figure renovation.

Thread Information