Widgets Magazine
Page 118 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1868113114115116117118119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3102

Thread: First National Center

  1. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i was really hoping that this property would be a part of the "luxury collection " for marriot instead of the Autograph collection ..

    but for reference that is a very rare collection dallas does not have one ..
    Yes, and I suppose it is always possible that the property could be re-positioned into a different collection in the future, if that made sense. But to be clear, Autograph also includes many properties considered true luxury hotels. Here is a link to Autograph: https://autograph-hotels.marriott.com/about/

    One of the reasons I know FNC's mobility within the Marriott collections is even possible is that Gary did a number of things during the build that would be required of a Ritz-Carlton, the top of all of Marriott's brands. They initially toyed with pursuing the R-C flag even. For instance when they re-plumbed (and the ENTIRE building required it) they selected cast iron for drain, waste and vent rather than PVC, which essentially everyone uses these days. The reason for cast iron is so that when someone upstairs or elsewhere in the building flushes a toilet or takes a shower, you will not hear it in other rooms. This would be a requirement to gain R-C designation. This was an incredible and expensive commitment all by itself. And this was done on multiple aspects of the building, so that there would be no limits on the flag that they could pursue.

    This renovation was done with an eye to keeping the building active and engaged for ANOTHER 90 years. Nothing like this project has been attempted in this city, ever.

  2. #2927

    Default Re: First National Center

    Thanks for the insight as always, Urbanized. It’s refreshing to see a developer commit to quality instead of pure cosmetics aiming for a specific sale down the road. Sounds like they are spending money as if they were going to live there. Awesome.

  3. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yes, and I suppose it is always possible that the property could be re-positioned into a different collection the future, if that made sense. But to be clear, Autograph also includes many properties considered true luxury hotels. Here is a link to Autograph: https://autograph-hotels.marriott.com/about/

    One of the reasons I know FNC's mobility within the Marriott collections is possible is that Gary did a number of things during the build that would be required of a Ritz-Carlton, the top of all of Marriott's brands. They toyed with pursuing that flag even. For instance when they re-plumbed (and the ENTIRE building required it) they selected cast iron for drain, waste and vent rather than PVC, which essentially everyone uses these days. The reason for cast iron is so that when someone upstairs or elsewhere in the building flushes a toilet or takes a shower, you will not hear it in other rooms. This was an incredible and expensive commitment all by itself. And this was done on multiple aspects of the building, so that there would be no limits on the flag that they could pursue.

    This renovation was done with an eye to keeping the building active and engaged for ANOTHER 90 years. Nothing like this project has been attempted in this city, ever.
    agree with all of this and to be clear autograph collection/lux collection does not necessarily mean better / worse hotels .. .

  4. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Thanks for the insight as always, Urbanized. It’s refreshing to see a developer commit to quality instead of pure cosmetics aiming for a specific sale down the road. Sounds like they are spending money as if they were going to live there. Awesome.
    One of the recommendations for Gary is that he usually DOES get an apartment in one of his properties, at least early on, and purposefully spends peak times there (weekends especially) to see for himself what the resident experience is like. He once told me a story about The Edge, where after staying there a few weeks he had his contractor return and replace all of the hollow metal front doors with solid ones, just so that residents wouldn't have to hear footfalls and conversations in the corridor. Understand, this was AFTER the project was "finished." That was a major expense he was under no obligation to take on, other than that he wanted the resident experience to be better than it initially was. First National is just a next-level expression of this ethos.

  5. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I disagree. A Ruthís or McCormick and Schmick's would be a nice option to have in addition to the plethora of amazing steak houses OKC has. But to your point OKC has to have one of the best steak restaurant offerings in the world. The best steaks Iíve had in OKC blow anything out of the water Iíve had elsewhere. What sucks is there isnít a true seafood restaurant. Thatís what I wish OKC could get. Closest thing is Fish City, Pearls, or Bonefish Grille(Tulsa) and Iím being very generous there. There was The Drake but Iím not sure how good it is now.

    They should have built a Fogo De Chao here. That would draw people from outside of downtown. In order to really be a big draw and liven up the place from regional visitors theyíre going to have make some damn good steaks here.
    Urbanized, I never said I wanted a Ruth's Chris there - that was what was previously promised and I was OK with it since OKC doesn't have any national prime chains (until Bob's). No, I'm talking more about what Panda is saying -

    Couldn't have said you quote better Panda. OKC needs more upscale national restaurant chains at prime locations. OKC should get some prime seafood, italian, and fine dining continental options for First National and other KEY PRIME locations in the CBD. We have plenty of local elsewhere but it's the CBD that we want to show off or at least keep up with other major cities (the Jones's) especially as you noted national prime upscale eateries in downtown likely would be the only location in the state.

    I fear what's being proposed for 1st National is just going to be another Good-Egg and/or Fusion this/that - don't get me wrong but the location in the CBD beggs for higher (and IMO - national).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

  6. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Urbanized, I never said I wanted a Ruth's Chris there - that was what was previously promised and I was OK with it since OKC doesn't have any national prime chains (until Bob's). No, I'm talking more about what Panda is saying -

    Couldn't have said you quote better Panda. OKC needs more upscale national restaurant chains at prime locations. OKC should get some prime seafood, italian, and fine dining continental options for First National and other KEY PRIME locations in the CBD. We have plenty of local elsewhere but it's the CBD that we want to show off or at least keep up with other major cities (the Jones's) especially as you noted national prime upscale eateries in downtown likely would be the only location in the state.

    I fear what's being proposed for 1st National is just going to be another Good-Egg and/or Fusion this/that - don't get me wrong but the location in the CBD beggs for higher (and IMO - national).
    I think you're severely underestimating the group that is managing the F&B program. How many restaurants do we have with Michelin-starred chefs? I'm not aware of any off the top of my head in OKC, and all of Oklahoma for that matter. I'll take a unique, high level, restaurant over a chain 10/10 times.

  7. Default Re: First National Center

    Urbanized (I finally was able to read through all of your posts not just the quote from Panda ). I think we are saying the same thing. But you keep saying Ruth's and I (and Panda) aren't talking about that. I agree OKC does need a Ruth's somewhere else in the city like at Classen Curve, Deep Deuce, or Oak.

    What I am saying is I am not aware of the offerings 1st National announced so far - so I will wait until they open. But that this building (and Park Ave) deserves to be the prime of the city, at least have a national upscale name or better to show off OKC; be THE spot to be at - as it likely would be the only locaiton in the state equal to or surpassing other major cities offering. Again, I'm not talking Ruth's or even a steakhouse since we have so many already, but something monster upscale national in another food genre (like Seafood, Continental fine dining, or Italian) that OKC (and OK) doesn't already have. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

  8. #2933

    Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I think you're severely underestimating the group that is managing the F&B program. How many restaurants do we have with Michelin-starred chefs? I'm not aware of any off the top of my head in OKC, and all of Oklahoma for that matter. I'll take a unique, high level, restaurant over a chain 10/10 times.
    You don't know how Michelin ratings work, do you? Only like, 4 cities in America have them.

  9. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I think you're severely underestimating the group that is managing the F&B program. How many restaurants do we have with Michelin-starred chefs? I'm not aware of any off the top of my head in OKC, and all of Oklahoma for that matter. I'll take a unique, high level, restaurant over a chain 10/10 times.
    ok, I am hoping guys. I think we all agree!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

  10. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I think you're severely underestimating the group that is managing the F&B program. How many restaurants do we have with Michelin-starred chefs? I'm not aware of any off the top of my head in OKC, and all of Oklahoma for that matter. I'll take a unique, high level, restaurant over a chain 10/10 times.
    Here is a menu from Jonathan Benno's previous restaurant (Bar Benno) in NYC that won him his first Michelin star. While I would be surprised if the menu is similar, this gives you an idea of what we've got coming.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-02 161540.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	17362

  11. #2936

    Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    One of the recommendations for Gary is that he usually DOES get an apartment in one of his properties, at least early on, and purposefully spends peak times there (weekends especially) to see for himself what the resident experience is like. He once told me a story about The Edge, where after staying there a few weeks he had his contractor return and replace all of the hollow metal front doors with solid ones, just so that residents wouldn't have to hear footfalls and conversations in the corridor. Understand, this was AFTER the project was "finished." That was a major expense he was under no obligation to take on, other than that he wanted the resident experience to be better than it initially was. First National is just a next-level expression of this ethos.
    That is so freakin cool. If only more developers were like this.

  12. #2937

    Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Urbanized, I never said I wanted a Ruth's Chris there - that was what was previously promised and I was OK with it since OKC doesn't have any national prime chains (until Bob's). No, I'm talking more about what Panda is saying -

    Couldn't have said you quote better Panda. OKC needs more upscale national restaurant chains at prime locations. OKC should get some prime seafood, italian, and fine dining continental options for First National and other KEY PRIME locations in the CBD. We have plenty of local elsewhere but it's the CBD that we want to show off or at least keep up with other major cities (the Jones's) especially as you noted national prime upscale eateries in downtown likely would be the only location in the state.

    I fear what's being proposed for 1st National is just going to be another Good-Egg and/or Fusion this/that - don't get me wrong but the location in the CBD beggs for higher (and IMO - national).
    I also wouldn’t be upset if a nice authentic Russian restaurant was built.

  13. #2938

    Default Re: First National Center

    Regarding Apicii the company that is managing food and beverage for FNC, they already have one of the concepts operating elsewhere.

    Library of Distilled Spirits, which will be going into the old bank vault space, is operating in New York:

    https://www.apicii.com/library-of-distilled-spirits

  14. #2939
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,147
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I also wouldn’t be upset if a nice authentic Russian restaurant was built.
    Maybe not the best timing for that.

  15. #2940

    Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Maybe not the best timing for that.
    Yeah that’s definitely true.

  16. #2941

    Default Re: First National Center

    High-end bootmaker Lucchese is planning to open a store in First National.

    On their website, cowboys boots are priced from $745 to $2,995.

    https://lucchese.com/


    They are currently running job openings for store manager and sales associates.

  17. #2942

    Default Re: First National Center

    Their website says they have a store at the outlet mall. Will this store be different?

  18. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    High-end bootmaker Lucchese is planning to open a store in First National.

    On their website, cowboys boots are priced from $745 to $2,995.

    https://lucchese.com/


    They are currently running job openings for store manager and sales associates.
    I'm very excited about this! I have several pair and love them, and love visiting the store in Santa Fe, NM each time we go.

  19. #2944

    Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Their website says they have a store at the outlet mall. Will this store be different?
    Probably a full-line store. Would be a nice get to kick-start downtown OKC retail. I know plenty of people who spend BIG money on boots. Not for me, but this is a big market in OKC.

  20. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Their website says they have a store at the outlet mall. Will this store be different?

    There is one at the outlet mall. It's hard to find anything there that's worthwhile. And while they are slightly defective in some way, there's not much discount on them.

  21. #2946

    Default Re: First National Center

    I was told today by someone with building physical management that their first apartment tenant is moving in Friday.

  22. Default Re: First National Center

    ^^^^^^^
    The building management and leasing team is also moving out of the Main Street parking garage and into their offices on 14 this week.

  23. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    High-end bootmaker Lucchese is planning to open a store in First National.

    On their website, cowboys boots are priced from $745 to $2,995.

    https://lucchese.com/


    They are currently running job openings for store manager and sales associates.
    This is the retailer I hinted at some time back. There are a couple of other very nice (and location-appropriate) locally-oriented stores going in. One is a very well-known local store, but since I’m not sure it’s been announced yet I don’t feel it’s my place to name it. Lucchese is the splashy one.

    I was in the building yesterday for the first time in several weeks and among other things can share that the barber shop is much further along in buildout and looks fantastic, and also that the kitchen behind Tellers was up and running and testing menu items.

  24. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Urbanized (I finally was able to read through all of your posts not just the quote from Panda ). I think we are saying the same thing. But you keep saying Ruth's and I (and Panda) aren't talking about that. I agree OKC does need a Ruth's somewhere else in the city like at Classen Curve, Deep Deuce, or Oak.

    What I am saying is I am not aware of the offerings 1st National announced so far - so I will wait until they open. But that this building (and Park Ave) deserves to be the prime of the city, at least have a national upscale name or better to show off OKC; be THE spot to be at - as it likely would be the only locaiton in the state equal to or surpassing other major cities offering. Again, I'm not talking Ruth's or even a steakhouse since we have so many already, but something monster upscale national in another food genre (like Seafood, Continental fine dining, or Italian) that OKC (and OK) doesn't already have. ..
    Where we seem to disagree is whether or not a national chain would be better for this particular location than concepts developed by Apicci with the involvement of a Michelin starred chef. I prefer the latter. I think a chain here would have lacked the uniqueness this space deserves. Did you click on the link I provided and check out Apicci’s other concepts?

  25. Default Re: First National Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Where we seem to disagree is whether or not a national chain would be better for this particular location than concepts developed by Apicci with the involvement of a Michelin starred chef. I prefer the latter. I think a chain here would have lacked the uniqueness this space deserves. Did you click on the link I provided and check out Apicci’s other concepts?
    with the exception of Prime steak houses (which OKC has plenty of) great local fine dining is almost always better then the high end chains

    would i like a Morton's / Del frisco / capital grill sure but i would rather have more great local spots ..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Willa Johnson advances in National League of Cities
    By Spartan in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 05:57 PM
  2. New Italian Buffet at First National
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 01:00 PM
  3. National Memorial Fully Funded
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM
  4. Carol Stoops - National Title of her own - USA Today Story
    By BarbaraHarper in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 10:29 PM
  5. First National Building
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 01:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO