Widgets Magazine
Page 102 of 125 FirstFirst ... 252979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3119

Thread: First National Center

Default Re: First National Center

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So once the ramp structure is in place will they still wrap it in a building looking thing? I went back a few pages an the end product still looks like an office building that comes up to the street. Of has plans changed on the final looks of the ramp structure?
    Nope, will look just like that. Will appear to be a glass office building.

Has anything new happened since last month?

Quote Originally Posted by _Kyle View Post
    Has anything new happened since last month?
    Nothing visible from the outside.

I was most excited for this project but haven't heard a thing about it in a while. Hope this is still coming along.

Quote Originally Posted by _Kyle View Post
    I was most excited for this project but haven't heard a thing about it in a while. Hope this is still coming along.
    I walked by the other day. I heard a lot of banging around coming from inside the building. I think they're still cleaning it out.

Beyond just wanting this project to be done because of how monumental it is for the city. I'm SSUUUUUUUUPPER ready for Gary Brooks to get back into other developments. I feel like we've missed him since he became buried in this one (though grateful he is buried and doing this correctly!)

Blog Entries

Highly recommend following Gary Brooks on social media. He posts lots of interesting and relevant content.

Does anyone know the timeline when this will be completed? It is crazy that on one hand I am so excited about this project and all that is going to be included. On the other hand, I am disappointed that it will get lost in the mix due to a lack of height. All the great things that are going to be done, and from many angles and areas of the city, it will not be easily visible because it needs to be just a little taller. Even an extra 75-100 feet would make it stand out and would be visible from anywhere. It is basically a small version of the Empire State Building, and I plead for anyone that can get it done to consider some minor changes or additions. Put an observatory or restaurant up top and take the existing Spire and replace it with a wider and taller one and light it up like the Empire State Building! This will become cooler than the Devon, which looks insanely terrible now days by the way. For such a beautiful building, its rough to see the minimal lighting they do and the boards in the windows. Can something like this be done and have it draw even more tourists and locals who would love to be in a rooftop bar with great views in the coolest building in OKC? It just needs a little more height or it is only going to be seen at certain angles.

I think we are still about 2 years out.

Very, very complicated project.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Does anyone know the timeline when this will be completed? It is crazy that on one hand I am so excited about this project and all that is going to be included. On the other hand, I am disappointed that it will get lost in the mix due to a lack of height. All the great things that are going to be done, and from many angles and areas of the city, it will not be easily visible because it needs to be just a little taller. Even an extra 75-100 feet would make it stand out and would be visible from anywhere. It is basically a small version of the Empire State Building, and I plead for anyone that can get it done to consider some minor changes or additions. Put an observatory or restaurant up top and take the existing Spire and replace it with a wider and taller one and light it up like the Empire State Building! This will become cooler than the Devon, which looks insanely terrible now days by the way. For such a beautiful building, its rough to see the minimal lighting they do and the boards in the windows. Can something like this be done and have it draw even more tourists and locals who would love to be in a rooftop bar with great views in the coolest building in OKC? It just needs a little more height or it is only going to be seen at certain angles.
    Don't think there is anyway they would add more height to it. Just no way that would be remotely cost effective given the massive amount of work required for the structure itself. There will be a rooftop restaurant in the old Beacon Club Space though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think we are still about 2 years out.

Very, very complicated project.
    My brother is involved in the bid processes in this project and has shown me some of the things that they are needing to accomplish. VERY complicated indeed.

The notion that First National won't "stand out" and needs "more height" is a suburban way of viewing an urban project. It won't be visible from where, the highway? People moving past the area? You won't be able to miss this project if you're actually interacting with it as part of the urban neighborhood in which it is located. It's great as is.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The notion that First National won't "stand out" and needs "more height" is a suburban way of viewing an urban project. It won't be visible from where, the highway? People moving past the area? You won't be able to miss this project if you're actually interacting with it as part of the urban neighborhood in which it is located. It's great as is.
    Absolutely. In any world class city, often the best places are the ones hidden in plain sight. I think this will certainly fit the bill of a world class addition to OKC, and we are lucky to have this level of investment.

Think of how the Ambassador hotel in Midtown is considered a "jewel" in the hotel world, at least it is part of Hilton's signature collections (correct me if I am wrong) and you really wouldn't be able to pick it out of many skyline views of the city, unless it was an aerial view.

15. Default Re: First National Center

Marriott's
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Yep. Drove by it around 7 and there were at least eight fire trucks on the west side of the building.

They have crews in the concourse at BancFirst (current building) where it intersects with the FNC. Doing all kinds of bracing with 2 x 6’s. I’m not sure what is going on but you can see into that old barber shop and it’s the underground of FNC. Maybe it’s having to do with structural reinforcements going in for the beams and pouring soon to be going up for the garage.

^^^The bracing is temporary and is there for extra support while concrete trucks drive overhead.

First National rebuild begins: Apartments, hotel rooms, restaurants, retail and more are planned for the historic structure

What's really interesting about this article is the accompanying video, it's an interview with Brooks from I believe over the weekend about a big pour they are doing for the parking ramp footing.

You can see the rebar starting to poke up for the new ramp structure leading into the parking garage along Broadway.

Ramp structure starting to take shape.

A number of rooms on the west side of First National were lit up tonight. My first time seeing them

Ramp system along Broadway starting to take shape:

Thread Information