Widgets Magazine

Thread: Do you make your own jerky?

Default Do you make your own jerky?

Contrary to popular belief, making your own beef jerky can be more expensive than buying the packaged stuff from the store. Still, I enjoy making my own jerky because I make it just right. I typically use the original seasoning from American Harvest. My uncle's a rancher, and one of these days I'm going to buy a whole cow, which will make the cost of making jerky less expensive. Until then, I'll just have to keep buy thin cut steak from the markets. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get really thin cut strips of steak? Also, if anyone knows of some really good seasoning recipes, I'd like to be educated. I'm a man who loves his jerky!
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

2. Default Re: Do you make your own jerky?

Well you could buy it the meat in bulk roast and such and slice it you self which is hard meat has to be part froze, or get a meat slicer and set it to a thin setting and go that route they have a meat slicer at harbor frieght for like 20 bucks, they have cheap tools so it may not be of high quality but may work. I love jerky too if I was rich I would buy it all day long, I made it couple times for myself was kinda a hassle the wait time just killed me, rather just go and buy when I want but want to start makeing my own again.

Default Re: Do you make your own jerky?

afcm,
    any decent grocery with a butcher can slice the beef for you at no additional charge. just grab a roast and ask the butcher to slice it thin... i think 1/4" thickness should do the trick for jerky.

-M

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: Do you make your own jerky?

I've made my own a few times. I've only tried a couple types. I used the standard seasoning packets you can buy in the store and spiced them up a bit with some cajun seasoning. I've also used a bottle of teriyaki sauce as a marinade. That turned out really good, but a little sticky. Maybe I used too much, or maybe I didn't dry it long enough - I like the jerky a little on the softer side.

Wal Mart has packages of pre-sliced beef that are perfect for jerky.

Thread Information