Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

To be fair, I think Plaza Court had turned out to be a bigger project than many expected. hopefully, the delays only mean that it's being done right...

I agree BDP...in fact it looks like OG&E just finished bringing electrical service to the building. Also all of the road work along Walker didn't speed anything up. I think that Plaza Court is going to be the shining example of what can happen with some of the older buildings that are located in Downtown and Midtown. I'm not sure how long the building was empty but it sure seems like they filled it up quickly with great tenants.

I'm hearing rumors that the International Photography Hall of Fame may be moving to Rochester New York. I guess Kodak is offering them some incentives to move the museum there. I had heard that they were considering moving to Midtown. Has anyone heard anything about this. I would hate to see a museum leave the city and the state. I think they have been here for 20 years.

4. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

We need a building for them in the Arts District of downtown.

We need more museums and attractions in our Arts District, not JUST a label where we copied off of downtown Dallas.

All of our Halls of Fame or Museum this or that, other than the well established ones in the Adventure District and Capitol District; should have a home in downtown's Arts District.

Think of the critical mass of pedestrians a critical mass of museums, theatres, cafes, and galleries (in addition to the municipal and county govt offices) would draw in a defined area such as the Arts District.

Venues there could feed off each other's successes and a thriving area of commerce/entertainment would ensue.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I agree, we need to have a true arts district, not just in name. I'm not even sure what the boundaries of the art district is. It would be nice to have an area that could house some small galleries and have some outdoor cafes as well as museums. What developer(s) are working in that area?

6. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I hope that's not true. We need a counter offer. MAPS3?

Maps III may be the way to go. Wouldn't it be great if the city would build a large building or complex that provided low rent loft space to artist and a venue in which to display their work. This could also house anything that relates to the arts and send a loud and clear message that Oklahoma City is truly a renaissance city. I would rather see this go on the land at 13th and Walker instead of high priced condos that may or not ever happen. Does the city or urban renewal have any land in the Arts District?

8. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I would prefer the IPHOF have a dedicated building.

How about that parking lot north of the OKCMOA?

Quote Originally Posted by trison View Post
    I'm hearing rumors that the International Photography Hall of Fame may be moving to Rochester New York. I guess Kodak is offering them some incentives to move the museum there. I had heard that they were considering moving to Midtown. Has anyone heard anything about this. I would hate to see a museum leave the city and the state. I think they have been here for 20 years.
    Sounds like we better get an email campaign going to the IPHF and quick!! Let's save this place before it's too late.

10. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I'd like them to be near the OKC Museum of Art not that lot near the memorial.

We need to focus our Halls of Fame and museums around the Art Museum, so that we develop a "true Arts District."
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

11. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by trison View Post
    They have been at the Omniplex for quite a while, but it's not a very good location for them. Actually, they are a really good museum . . . solid archive permnant collection and able to attract some world class traveling exhibits. They have looked at a couple of locations downtown and one in Midtown. The City and Chamber of Commerce should be working hard to keep them, but that's not happening right now. There is strong pressure from their board to move to Rochester, but no final decision has been made yet.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Any ideas how we can save them and do you know what buildings they are considering? We definitely need to get the chamber and the city behind this project. We are always recruiting but we need to keep what we have.

How cool would it be to relocate them into the Film Exchange area of downtown?? There is plenty of empty buildings in that area of downtown, and it would be very close to the Arts District.

Before anything tourism-related will survive in the film exchange district, the homeless problem will have to be addressed.

You can't walk around down there without being hassled constantly. It's really bad.

15. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I'd like them to be near the OKC Museum of Art not that lot near the memorial.
    OKCMOA = Oklahoma City Museum of Art

A bit more information on McNellies

Oklahoma's best pub for Guinness, plus 299 other beers
    Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:55 PM IST

By Nick Carey

TULSA, Oklahoma (Reuters Life!) - If you're the type who likes to try every beer a pub has to offer, then you should make a few trips to McNellie's - it have 300 brews.

There are only 60 of them on tap, but that still means a bristling array of taps behind the bar of this popular downtown Tulsa haunt, like regimental standards in a brewers' army.

The other 240 beers come in bottles in this Irish pub. A large digital clock on the wall counts down the days, hours, minutes and even seconds to the Saint Patrick's Day on March 17, 2008. It's still a long way off yet.

To help you keep track of the beers and cross off any you've already had, McNellie's provides a menu of all the beers on offer.

Or if you don't have time or the alcohol tolerance to try that many full beers, there is always the option of a flight or five small samples.

For example, you can try the "Original" selection - consisting of Hoegaarden, Paulaner Lager, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Guinness Stout and Anchor Steam.

There's food, too, from burgers to salads to help line your stomach if you need it.

Owner Elliot Nelson, 28, said he opened McNellie's three years ago, inspired by the six months he spent in Dublin as a student.

"I fell in love with all the beer there," he said.

Guinness is the top selling beer at McNellie's and "we're the biggest seller of this beer in Oklahoma, so we've been told by our distributor."

Nelson added that in a recent taste test tour of bars in Colorado and Oklahoma by Guinness representatives, McNellie's also tasted best in the state as well.

The No. 2 beer here is Boulevard Wheat, brewed in Kansas City, which Nelson said is seen locally as a big regional beer. Among the local beers on tap is Choc, an unfiltered wheat beer named for the Choctaw American Indians who originally made it, which is in the top 30 beers at McNellie's.

"We sell more beer than anyone in the state, so the Top 30 is still pretty good," Nelson said.

He added that this year he will open a restaurant in downtown Tulsa called El Guapo's. which is named after the villain in the 1986 film "Three Amigos", and a McNellie's pub in Oklahoma City.

"Ultimately, my dream would be to open up an uber-McNellie's in Chicago with 1,000 beers available," Nelson added. "But that is some way off yet."

I noticed that there is a for sale sign in front of the old Red Cross building at 10th and Hudson. That's one of the few remaining eye sores on 10th.

18. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

My company is looking to buy office space somewhere in Midtown. Anybody know of anything available? Is Banta selling back or just leasing?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    My company is looking to buy office space somewhere in Midtown. Anybody know of anything available? Is Banta selling back or just leasing?

I know he is doing some selling back, or has at least sold some of his properties back.

I think they are selling some of their smaller buildings. How big of a building are you looking for?

21. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Not huge. We currently have 7 people in the office. The idea is to have room to grow, and lease for now what we don't need.

You should call Greg Banta or Chad Elmore to see what they are selling.

23. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Well I'm not the man in charge, but I'll pass that along. Thanks.

I know I have stated this before, but Mid Town is really on track to be the most impressive new areas of Okc.

It is one area that is almost changing daily with new construction going on everywhere. Not to mention St. Anthony's hospital building the new MOB.

If anyone hasn't been through the area at NW10th around Walker, I would recommend a drive around Midtown. You will be impressed and surprised at how quickly this area has changed from an eyesore to a unique part of Okc.

This area just needs more residents.
    Does anyone have a list of the available residentials in Midtown??

I have talked to Rick Dowell of Dowell Properties about leasing in Midtown. He owns most of the property around 4th and 5th on and around Walker. He is really doing a nice job and the rents are pretty reasonable for office space. We looked at one of the finished spaces and it had a lot of character with exposed brick but had the modern amenities you need in office space. Very classy looking.
    His web site is pretty good if you just want to look.

Thread Information