Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas

1. Default Dallas

Anyone have some favorite experiences in Dallas, TX they want to share? Went down there this weekend just to get away for a bit. Skip to the bottom to ignore my story and answer the question, lol. (will post pics later)

Stayed at Prava Suites by the Galleria (former Hilton) with my hubby and a couple of friends. The hotel was really nice, I would recommend it to anyone going to Dallas that doesn't want to be directly down town. It was pricey, we all split the bill though. The price of the room was definitely worth the money. It was large, nice, and the guy at the front desk took us every where we wanted to go at 2 am. lol. He took the guys on multiple food and beer runs. The pool and hot tub were nice and the burgers from the menu were delicious.

We spent some time at the Galleria (my 1st time there), that was the biggest mall I've ever been in so far, was pretty neat. However, there was only one store in the mall that had reasonably or normal priced clothing. However, I did buy an OU koozie for only $7. Oddly enough OU gear was the cheapest thing there!

Saturday we went to the Lizard Lounge which is supposed to be the 2nd rated club in Dallas. Let me just say, I hope that's not true. The DJ was good, played strictly Techno and Dance, but there were about 300 people there and about 15 total were dancing. And that includes me and my 5 friends so yeah. There were go go dancers (pretty hot) and guys were just lining the floor standing there staring at them. Left there after dancing until I was about to fall over. That was the most eventful thing. OH and everyone smoked. When we got in the cab to leave the guy started driving then slammed on the brakes and demanded to know who was smoking in his cab. lol. None of us were, that is how bad we smelled. Oh and there were a lot of people there with glow lights, waving them in front of their faces. Can we say "on drugs?"

Oh we ate at Chipotle, that wasn't bad, except for the bum coming in off the street to ask everyone for money. Drank a margarita there that was about 4/6ths tequila, 2/6ths drink mix.

Someone has to give me an idea of the places to go to have a good time in Dallas (restaurants, attractions, bars, clubs)! And maybe a nice cab service as well if anyone has had a good experience with those.

What are you favorite things about Dallas and the easiest ways you recommend to get around? What was your fav. experience there?
    Last edited by CMSturgeon; 03-05-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: remembered something to add

2. Default Re: Dallas

What is the top ranked club?

Default Re: Dallas

Why would you go to Dallas to do those things. You can do all of that here. The Galleria is nice but its not all that and certainly not a huge mall. The only reason to go to Dallas is for shopping at stores we currently don't have here, and even then I'd just do it online. You can stay at an extremely nice Skirvin or Colcord in downtown OKC or the Waterford Marriott and shop at upscale clothiers in Penn Square and keep your tax dollars here.

4. Default Re: Dallas

The whole point was to not be here. Mini-vacation. While driving around lost I actually thought, "I could be at home with my dog right now."

5. Default Re: Dallas

Well, there is a certain experiential element to shopping the upscale centers in Dallas. That's why we need to work to get as many of those stores here as possible downtown, in University North Park, The Bridges at Spring Creek, The Village at Quail Springs, and the Covell/I-35 project.

totally agree jbrown

7. Default Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Well, there is a certain experiential element to shopping the upscale centers in Dallas. That's why we need to work to get as many of those stores here as possible downtown, in University North Park, The Bridges at Spring Creek, The Village at Quail Springs, and the Covell/I-35 project.
    Me too. I loved being able to be in the mall without having 'wangsters' everywhere. lol. Penn Square is getting bad with that now and Quail is usually too far a drive if I'm going shopping. I dont even bother with Crossroads, I just get pissed off when I go there.

In reference to my posting regarding fist fights, I had asked what gets you to that point...... idiots 'acting hard' at the mall, that makes me want to just start a fight. And it's pretty sad they have to have police there at all times basically now. I just want to take a baseball bat and hit everyone in the face that pisses me off when I'm there.

Anyway, the Galleria wasn't like that, so that was nice. So no one really has a recommendation for somewhere in Dallas to eat or experience?

Oh and 'Purgatory' is supposed to be the #1 club in Dallas.

CM what is your reference for your list of top Dallas clubs?

9. Default Re: Dallas

I see nothing wrong with a weekend trip to Dallas. Why not? Everyone likes to getaway every now and then. No, the Dallas galleria isn't the HOUSTON Galleria (a monster), but it's okay. Visit The Legacy in Plano and see the future of the "urban burbs." Also, Ft. Worth is a great city. Talk about progress, that city is exploding. I certainly don't feel the need to stick around Oklahoma City all the time. DFW is the nearest major metropolitan area - it makes for a perfect weekend getaway. Take an extra 2 hours and Kansas City is another super weekender, though it may be best for a long three-day weekend. I doubt OKC will miss your tax dollars. I don't know though, you may get a knock on the door from the local sales-tax police.

-------------

Quote Originally Posted by writerranger View Post
    I see nothing wrong with a weekend trip to Dallas. Why not? Everyone likes to getaway every now and then. No, the Dallas galleria isn't the HOUSTON Galleria (a monster), but it's okay. Visit The Legacy in Plano and see the future of the "urban burbs." Also, Ft. Worth is a great city. Talk about progress, that city is exploding. I certainly don't feel the need to stick around Oklahoma City all the time. DFW is the nearest major metropolitan area - it makes for a perfect weekend getaway. Take an extra 2 hours and Kansas City is another super weekender, though it may be best for a long three-day weekend. I doubt OKC will miss your tax dollars. I don't know though, you may get a knock on the door from the local sales-tax police.

-------------
    I wouldn't necessarily say OKC wouldn't miss the tax dollars. In fact the weekend DFW getaway is common for thousands of Oklahoman's every weekend. Not to mention big events like OU-Texas, or the Texas Motor Speedway where tens of thousands of Oklahomans may flock down there on any given day. This adds up to tens of millions of tax dollars that DFW enjoys instead of Oklahoma. Just think how much better our roads and bridges, infrastructure, highway beautification would be with this extra money.

11. Default Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say OKC wouldn't miss the tax dollars. In fact the weekend DFW getaway is common for thousands of Oklahoman's every weekend. Not to mention big events like OU-Texas, or the Texas Motor Speedway where tens of thousands of Oklahomans may flock down there on any given day. This adds up to tens of millions of tax dollars that DFW enjoys instead of Oklahoma. Just think how much better our roads and bridges, infrastructure, highway beautification would be with this extra money.
    So - never go anywhere? Stay in your own backyard? So the other place doesn't get the tax dollars? That, (and it's just my opinion), is taking civic responsibility a little too far. If I spend 10 days in Dallas a year, that gives me 355 days a year to offer up OKC my sales tax dollars. This is a non-issue as far as living life to its fullest and enjoying weekend getaways.

---------------------------

I understand your point writeranger, and as usual, I agree with you. Perhaps I should have rephrased my post. I don't think it's healthy for an individuals or a city for it to "shelter" its residents. My point on that last one is that OKC does miss tax dollars. Some are understandable for a weekend getaway or something Oklahoma simply can't offer right now, however, there are still thousands of people who go to Texas, usually DFW to do things they can do right here at home like shop at common stores like Gap, Old Navy, etc. or say folks that live in Ardmore are about equally close to DFW and OKC. Many choose DFW because of the larger selection (and yes I like shopping some of the upscale stuff that can't be found anywhere in Oklahoma), however some of them do it for groceries, or stuff that can be bought here. That is where I think it is part of civic responsibility to get/spend money on those sorts of things here in state where it improves our infrastructure and educational systems, not Texas'. That is where they've got us beat.

If you like dance clubs try some of the ones on the Northwest Highway in the University Park area of Dallas. Lower Greenville Avenue is where it's at.

For food, try Uncle Julio's on Lemon in old downtown. Fantastic Mexican food. If you're brave, take the challenge and order a basket of their peppers and see if you can bite into one. The last time I was there I ate one whole, and then had the most unbearable numbing pain in my tongue and throat for the next 45 minutes. Not to mention sweat was just pouring from my face. If you think you've had hot food, give that a try... it may change your mind.

I personally like the Addison Galleria or any of the malls up in the Plano/Addison area a lot more than the Dallas Galleria. They're just so upscale.

Hey and while you're there swing by the only remaining Crystal's Pizza in the country.

ditto on Lower Greenville...10 or so bars lined up side by side...Usually no or just a small cover charge so you can easily check them all out

Several of them have rooftop bars, which are full in the spring and summer

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    ditto on Lower Greenville...10 or so bars lined up side by side...Usually no or just a small cover charge so you can easily check them all out

Several of them have rooftop bars, which are full in the spring and summer
    I used to run a bar on lower Greenville Ave. It is as lively as it has ever been. I spent most of my life in Dallas. One of the areas I would look check out is, Uptown. South of Travis and North of downtown on McKinney. lot's of shopping and fine restaurants. One of my favorite places for bruch is, the Meridian Room, by Fair Park. I go there everytime I am in Dallas. Also, don't forget the Dubliner, Old Monk, Ginger Man (for a gazillion different beers) Nick & Sam's and Javier's

I usually stay in Grapevine at the Embassy Suites Bass Pro Outdoor World when I go to Dallas. The hotel is great because they have a free full breakfast buffet that includes a short order grill. There is also a manager’s reception in the bar every night where you get a free drink and free bar appetizers.

Grapevine Mills Mall is close by as well as several sit down type restaurants that they do not have in OKC. If you have never been to Grapevine Mills I suggest you go, they have something there for everyone including an ice rink.

If you ever decide to check out the Dallas Zoo, visit the McDonalds’ that is next to the zoo. It is decorated in a cool safari theme with sounds included. If you have kids, they will get a kick out of it.

Does anyone have suggestions for late night dining in Dallas? The last couple of times I've gone I've found myself looking for somewhere to eat after 10PM- usually I've ended up at fast food, and once at a not very good seafood place. I like Mexican best, but any suggestions would be great.

Try the Blue Goose on Lower Greenville Ave. for late night mexican food.

I go to the Dallas area quite often and honestly, no sarcasm intended, my favorite part is the "Welcome To Oklahoma" sign just north of the Red River. There just isn't anything in Dallas that I find worth fighting the extra traffic, worse drivers, etc. Bigger is not always better.

Have you tried Ruth's Chris soonerbent?.....Well worth the drive down south just for that....But they do have more upscale shopping (unfortunately for my wallet) and various dining and nightlife options we don't have here in our fine state

Plus they have Fat Tire beer down in Big D

Patrick Guest

I've never been a fan of Dallas. I'd rather make the longer drive to Houston or San Antonio. The Galleria in Houston is larger and nicer than the Galleria in Dallas. Plus, I think traffic is better in Houston. Katy Mills Mall is every bit as nice as Grapevine Mills.

22. Default Re: Dallas

I haven't been out to Katy, TX yet. I actually work just a few miles north fo the Houston Galleria.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

23. Default Re: Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've never been a fan of Dallas. I'd rather make the longer drive to Houston or San Antonio. The Galleria in Houston is larger and nicer than the Galleria in Dallas. Plus, I think traffic is better in Houston. Katy Mills Mall is every bit as nice as Grapevine Mills.
    I agree with you about the Houston Galleria for sure. No comparison. But Dallas traffic worse than Houston? Houston is known for a lot of things and heat and traffic probably rank right up there with oil. Seriously, from experience and word-of-mouth, I see Los Angeles and Houston as the worst two cities in America for traffic. In fact, to me, Dallas traffic looks tame in comparison to Houston. But you are sure right about the Houston Galleria. It's an awesome place. That whole Galleria district there is incredible. Oh! Katy.....that is my favorite Houston burb. But where Pulse is is nice, too. But damn that Houston traffic. How DO you do it pulse??

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I understand your point writeranger, and as usual, I agree with you. Perhaps I should have rephrased my post. I don't think it's healthy for an individuals or a city for it to "shelter" its residents. My point on that last one is that OKC does miss tax dollars. Some are understandable for a weekend getaway or something Oklahoma simply can't offer right now, however, there are still thousands of people who go to Texas, usually DFW to do things they can do right here at home like shop at common stores like Gap, Old Navy, etc. or say folks that live in Ardmore are about equally close to DFW and OKC. Many choose DFW because of the larger selection (and yes I like shopping some of the upscale stuff that can't be found anywhere in Oklahoma), however some of them do it for groceries, or stuff that can be bought here. That is where I think it is part of civic responsibility to get/spend money on those sorts of things here in state where it improves our infrastructure and educational systems, not Texas'. That is where they've got us beat.

If people are buying their grocieries in Texas its probably because they have no sales tax on them and therfore they save money. What is wrong with that? Who wants to pay more just so our politicians can squander more of our money?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdiesel View Post
    If people are buying their grocieries in Texas its probably because they have no sales tax on them and therfore they save money. What is wrong with that? Who wants to pay more just so our politicians can squander more of our money?
    Yes, yes... it's a terrible thing when they squander our sales tax money on police protection, firefighters, roads and streets, road signs, traffic lights, sidewalks, parks, water, sewers, animal control...

Thread Information