Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Patrick Guest

Default Is Edmond a snobby town?

Yes, no, and why?

2. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

IMO - Edmond is like any other town in that they have their 'rich,' 'moderate' and 'poor' areas.

The snobs are the ones who take a particular delight in letting everyone else know they live there.

Most of my family lives in Edmond. All of their homes are over $275K, but honestly only one seems all that impressive. The rest are nice homes that could have been bought for alot less in OKC.

One relative just had to live in Edmond and paid probably about $140K for a tiny house in a neighborhood without any trees. A year later she sold it and moved to Yukon and bought a much bigger house for the same money and lost the traffic issues too.

Had another friend that moved here from out of state. His wife just had to live in Edmond and wanted next to I-35. They paid at least $250K for a home that looked like a fancy apartment to me with no yard. They even had to paint their garage a different color so friends could find it easier because all the homes on the street looked the same.

Give me an older home on a couple of acres any day.

3. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

There are definite pockets of snobbery, but that's be to expected I guess. I once stood in line at a rare trip to Panera Bread, and had to listen to some guy brag about his new luxury car. The only thing missing was him holding up a sign that said "Look at me, I'm rich".

I do hope my jeans and cheap shirt did not offend his sense of style.

4. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Here we go again... I don't know why we have to have these 'my town in better than your town' discussions.. we've had them for years. Such a generalization.

Okay, I'll bite anyway.

There are snobs anywhere and everywhere. It depends on the definition of snobs. What some might assume is snobbery might really be just shyness or it could be a myriad of things, they might have just lost a loved one, a job loss whatever... anything could make them appear snobby because they don't start a conversation with you.

You can never know, without really knowing someone, that they are snobs just because they live in Edmond.

Personally, it all comes down to location, location, location if you want the most bang for your buck over time regarding property values and quality of life ... that usually translate into good schools, increasing property values, pride of ownership with well maintained neighborhoods, good HOA's, reputable city management, convenient amenities, transportation, easy commute, etc etc...

Yes, you will find many people who have a lot of affluence in Edmond. There are a lot of educated professionals here who make lots of money or are business owners or came from money through their families.

If they choose to feel superior or act ugly to those less fortunate that's their own personality flaw. Not neccesarily a product of living in Edmond.

You will find those people anywhere also...look at Nichols Hills or Gaillardia.

Who knows, even someone living in a trailer park in a double wide might look down on someone who has a single wide... makes people feel better to think they are doing well in life and how do they gauge that?

Some use money or homes or cars and some use community service to others, giving to charities or being good people and helping out others less fortunate. But, please just don't assume that because someone has a certain zip code they are snobs.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

5. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    They even had to paint their garage a different color so friends could find it easier because all the homes on the street looked the same.
    LOL that's hilarious.

We moved to Edmond for the trees and hills and good schools, about ten years ago. We are a mile from I-35 so we don't have the traffic issues unless we have to drive into Edmond.

I think there's definitely some of it, but I know more nice, humble people than snobby ones. In high school it was 60-40 at least. But a lot of the churches are like Country Clubs, which is why we don't go to church in Edmond.

Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Think it's safe to say it is the most snobby next to Nichols Hills

But I get a little satisfaction knowing many there are mortgaged and in debt to their eyeballs just to live there

7. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

But I get a little satisfaction knowing many there are mortgaged and in debt to their eyeballs just to live there
    You could say the same about any area in any town...it's all proportionate. Most everyone lives beyond their means whether they live in a poor area or a wealthy area.

I know karried, but it's much more fun when you know snobs are living way beyond their means

9. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

As an Edmondite, I find that the snobbiest residents are the ones who sport the million-plus "McMansions" and choose to have very little to do with the City itself. If you want to meet the real people of Edmond, have breakfast at Around the Corner, or coffee at Java Daves. Go to a concert at the UCO Jazz Lab and have a bit to eat at Othellos. Walk around Capital View neighborhood or grab a burger at Flatire next to campus. There are great folks here, just like anywhere, and to paint an entire community with the same brush is patently unfair and a form of "snobbery" in itself! That being said, my Hummer is warmed up, so I have to run to Starbucks and grab a triple-soy-latte-half-decaf-cinnamon-americano to energize me for a long day of buying really expensive art and $200.00 rippd up jeans. Ta!

10. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

"snobbery" often comes down to a third parties sensitivities. Just because someone talks/brags about their new $50K automobile doesn't mean they are a snob as much as the 3rd party being jealous. If I talk about my new truck that I had lifted 3" does that automatically make me a hick or redneck?

People talk about what they drive, own, where they live, vacations and their jobs.

11. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Great replies..... I hate to have the whole town/area stigmatized with the image of a bunch of stuck up, snooty people.. because it's just not that way.

Most people I interact with in Edmond are family oriented with kids in soccer and hanging out at Target ... yeah, there are some nice executive homes in Edmond but it's not really all of Edmond..there are plenty of pockets of different types of homes and cars driven.

Something interesting, home ownership anywhere gives a lot of clout when purchasing a car and obtaining credit to buy all the 'toys' ... but we all know it's not about that.. that doesn't give people true happiness.

12. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I know karried, but it's much more fun when you know snobs are living way beyond their means
    I like that remark. And you right to a huge extent. Our society is addicted to debt and everyone thinks that they should get to live like Kings and Queens. Look at the houses they are building these days. Look at what our parents lived in.

I like listening to Dave Ramsey and his line about the paid-off mortgage being the new status symbol. I also love it when some snotty person is trying to play the "my stuff is better than yours" card. That's when I like to play the "I don't have a mortgage card".

It also goes good with the "I always pay cash for cars" card.

Being in debt is a tremendous yoke around your neck. It can turn you into a very "not nice" person when your job is in jeopardy, and thus your lifestyle.

End of sermon.

13. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Preach it brother! If more people thought like you, we would have far fewer problems!

Nicely put drums...Can't say I am near as financially responsible as you seem to be....But it comforts me to know that many wealthy Edmondites are just 3 or 4 paychecks away from joining me down here in good old Moore

15. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

There are the wealthy "I'm too good for Penn Square Mall" types all over the city. Look at areas of Edmond, Nichols Hills, or Norman and you will find plenty of these types coming in the neighborhood Starbucks.

At the same time, there are people who are six or seven figure earners who are willing to step foot into a Target or Walmart and don't feel the need to show off their BMW to everyone else.

Easy180 has it right. Many of those who have the half million dollar houses are a pink slip away from losing everything.

16. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Nicely put drums...Can't say I am near as financially responsible as you seem to be....But it comforts me to know that many wealthy Edmondites are just 3 or 4 paychecks away from joining me down here in good old Moore
    Thank you. All it takes is discipline to be financially healthy, but asking for discipline in today's world is obviously asking for too much. Everyone is bombarded with all the images of people living large and it seems they feel like failures if they don't at least make an attempt to live that way.

By the way, I would never stand in line and brag about anything financially the way the guy in Panera was running his mouth. It was clear he wanted everyone to hear it. There's people like this everywhere. We used to have a guy at work that would come in every Monday and spend half an hour bragging about the latest toys he'd bought. He too, was just a few paychecks away from losing it all, and had to work his wife like a pack-mule so they could afford their lavish lifestyle.

My motto for a two income family is: Live on one income, save the other.

I know a couple that has house so big they have already resigned themselves to working until they are 65. That's a lot of sacrifice to the Gods of Square Footage. But hey, they get to brag at work, and isn't that what it's all about these days?

17. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    There are the wealthy "I'm too good for Penn Square Mall" types all over the city.
    There's somewhere to shop that's better than Penn Square Mall???
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

18. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Dam* .. the Dow Jones just fell over 500 points! Thank God for savings accounts and diversification.. wow..

19. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Personally, I think it's whatever makes you happy. I know people that work 80 hours a week to afford to live in a big home with lots of toys and very little set aside, but that makes them very happy. Then I have grandmother that saved every penny. She lives in a 60 year old home that needs lots of renovation. She clips coupons, won't buy anything unless it is on clearance or used and takes pride in the fact she has over $100K in the bank.

Other than her, I know very few people (rich or poor) that are not basically living pay check to pay check.

Regardless of my toys or lack thereof, I live by the financial principle that I could survive for a year without any income.

20. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Regardless of my toys or lack thereof, I live by the financial principle that I could survive for a year without any income.
    Same here..... that is the best way to live.. peace of mind, knowing if something catatrosphic should happen you can take care of your family.

No amount of 'toys' brings that same feeling... although they are fun! And God knows I love to vacation.. all in moderation.

Side note, anyone and everyone can start now to 'sock' a little away for rainy days.. it does take discipline but it is well worth it in the long run.

21. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I'm not saying Edmond's the only place for snobby people...And I know the majority of the city isn't likely to act on this standard...But all of the 'snobby' kids I went to high school with ended up at UCO, and I could say the majority of my friends who live in Edmond have more of an "air about them" than my friends who live elsewhere in the city/countryside...I'm sure it's somewhat of a coincidence.

My wife's family has been in Edmond for 30+ years and I've lived there for 10. I'd say Edmond is one of the most class conscious and materialistic places I've ever lived and has grown even more so since I've lived there.

On the other hand, there's a few interesting things happening that signal some kind of change going on. First, pace of growth during that time has brought an unexpected kind of ethnic diversity to the area. I seem to see a far more ethnically diverse population than I used to. I think the profit motive of real estate developers has trumped the desire of old-edmondites to keep the town ethnically and socially pure.

My perspective may be skewed because my kids go to Russell Daugherty and that is more diverse than most schools. I could be wrong, but that is my perception.

I also see far more mixed-ethnicity families than I used to. Some of this is because of the increasingly common practice of adopting Asian or other non-Caucasian children among edmonites.

I think the long term effect of this will be positive and tend to break down some of the entrenched stale and pale element of Edmond society. It's awfully hard to have racial prejudices when you are surrounded by all types of people--some of whom are now part of your family.

23. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Rich snobby people aren't the ones that bother me. It's broke snobs that hate rich people because they're jealous. I have a friend and if he sees someone in a nice car he'll say something like, man that's bullcrap, why can't I have a car like that. And it's like.... go to college or..... something, don't hate people because they are priveliged or work harder than you and are receiving the rewards for it. I don't hate rich people, I want to be one, and I'm proud to know I'm working my way to that point. I guess that's why I dont hate republicans even though I'm middle class right now.... I would like to be one of those rich jerks that doesn't care about the broke people.... because unless you are truly disabled and need help, you need to get your lazy ass a job just like i did.

Before my wife and I bought a house, I said that I did not want to in Edmond. (I thought Edmond people were snobs) Now that we have been in Edmond for 7 months, I would not want to live anywhere else. Our house is in North Edmond and I really like the pride that most people show in there community. I would not call Edmond snobby or prejudice in the least bit. (I am black by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by CMSturgeon View Post
    .... because unless you are truly disabled and need help, you need to get your lazy ass a job just like i did.
    If only everyone would follow this bit of advice, our taxes would be next to nothing...lol

Thread Information