Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    Interesting question. I don't think Edmond is snobby in the least. We are new here, (4/2007) with a Jones mailing address, but the kids go to EMHS. Great school and lots of nice folks as far as we can tell these last 2 years.

Driving around edmond, I see lots of people of all economic levels, from the low end apartment dwellers to the McMansions. Edmond seems to take pride in the appearance of it's community and we really appreciate that.

I work in Norman, and one day I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "Don't Edmond my Norman". So, I wonder what that means? Seems pretty silly when you think about it, especially with some of the regulations the city of Norman straps on it's residents, just like many other communities. Perceptions....

I've also been in many other cities around the USA that do not take near as much pride in keeping their communities clean and nice like both Norman and Edmond seem to strive to do. We have a nice state here, and I'm pleased to be an Oklahoma City area resident.

Bottom line from a 2 year newbie: This is a great place to live! And...folks tend to get what they expect. So if folks come to Edmond or Norman or Moore of wherever expecting snobbery, I reckon they're gonna find exactly what they are looking for!
    so what do you have against norman that restricts you from living there as opposed to edmond? would seem the logical choice since your employment is there. norman is known for great schools too, on the same caliber or exceeding emhs.

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
    so what do you have against norman that restricts you from living there as opposed to edmond? would seem the logical choice since your employment is there. norman is known for great schools too, on the same caliber or exceeding emhs.

Nothing against Norman whatsoever. My wife's job was initially in Edmond, so I chose to make the commute rather than her mainly for that reason. I have been in and out of Norman on business for 19 years prior to moving here. Great city.

The second reason was we decided we preferred the Edmond school system over Norman. We spent a significant amount of time in each city observing the students before deciding where to live. We had lunch in places where the students went. We talked to them and their parents in each city. We visited the neighborhoods surrounding the schools. We talked to school administrators. After considering all of the facts we gathered, we chose Edmond over Norman primarily because I did not want my wife sitting in the commuter traffic from Norman to Edmond everyday, and secondly because the EMHS was a better fit to our kids for various reasons, more to do with programs our kids were interested in than anything else, although, honestly, we would have likely been happy with either school.

My wife now works in OKC, which is still alot closer to Edmond than Norman, however when both kids have graduated; one in 2010, and the other in 2013, we might split the difference and move to Moore depending on my employment situation. Until then, my Honda Accord econo-box with a manual transmission gets 34 MPG, so I will keep burning 12 gallons of fuel each week. You get used to it after a while.

But again, in answer to your question, nothing against Norman. Had my wife's job been there, then that's where we would live.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    It could also be argued that a count into how many homes in which SFHS students live are actually within the limits of Oklahoma City in contrast to the other two high schools would change things. (Just playing devils advocate.)

Yes, but its not like they are living in the inner city or anything - It may be OKC city limits, but is practically Edmond. In fact, the parts of the Santa Fe district that are in OKC City limits are probably overall much nicer than some of the neighborhoods in the Santa Fe district that are in Edmond - those fringe neighborhoods in OKC city limits but Edmond schools are high dollar.

Im in 11th grade at Santa Fe Highschool and Im no snob at.

I drive an '01 mazda that was my mothers before she bought her '07 volvo and wear semi nice clothes but I like people for who they are not what they own. I mean I do get the comment about how nice/rich looking my house is because my family takes care of it and we have pride in taking care of our house among other things. it does hurt my feelings when people rub in how rich my family is but we're not at all, we're middle working class.

But Ive met people who blow their money on material things or their parents do the same, I just dont understand that.

5. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

You want to find a snobby town, try Greenwich, CT! One man's accusation of snobby is another man's envy - I envy Greenwich!

No!

yes.

I grew up here. Some parts aren't snobby at all, if you live in the right neighborhood. But if you're like me and had to get a job when you were 16 to buy a car because your parents wouldn't buy you a new escalade or mustang like all the other kids at N. Edmond, then you immediately became "one of those people".

I worked at Target and constantly had to deal with snobby housewives who thought they were shopping on Rodeo Drive and expected to be treated that way.

School was even worse, but since they were kids, you didn't feel as bad being treated like sh!t as you did when their parents acted the same way.

Once I graduated, started going to OCU and working in OKC, I don't have to deal with the Edmond snobbery nearly as much. I still live here, but as soon as I graduated I'm getting the f out of this city, if not the state.

No...Edmond is not snobby - yes there are snobby people in Edmond..its not that hard of a concept...Heck MightyHorse - I had to work to get a car too...and you know who I worked with? Other people from school...who also needed money for their cars...yes there are rich people, but if you think everyone in Edmond is out to get you and make fun of you, you have issues.

9. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I've encountered snobby people all over the metro. edmond, nichols hills, moore, ect. WHO KNEW?!

Hey, MightyHorse, you should try applying for a job at Gailardia Country Club in OKC proper. Or even OKC Golf and Country Club. Then let me know what you think of Edmond. It's the same no matter where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Hey, MightyHorse, you should try applying for a job at Gailardia Country Club in OKC proper. Or even OKC Golf and Country Club. Then let me know what you think of Edmond. It's the same no matter where you go.
    I'm a Full Golf member of Gaillardia via my parents.

12. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I have lived here a year and have not found it snobby at all.

This is still going on?

Here's the deal... Edmond is a fine place to raise kids...really, one of the finest places in the metro. Great schools, great church communities, highly competitive little league programs, parks, trails, playgrounds, a fantastic municipal pool. Basically, the community is built to raise families and kids. Edmond's better points have allowed a lot of successful high-end development, which has, in turn, attracted some pretty high-end earners to the community.

I grew up in Edmond in the 80s and 90s, went to grade school there, and later attended ENHS for my Senior year. Despite my folks definitely being on the higher end of the income ladder, when I was in grade school, we had wealthy friends and dirt poor friends. No one cared or really even knew the difference. In high school, I guess that might have been there, but I never really cared or noticed the difference, of course, this was the late 90s, where everyone dressed way, way down... jeans and t-shirts for everyone. Sure, some kids had nice cars, but again, not anyone I knew cared about that.

Perceiving others as being snobs is more of a function of your own self esteem (or lack thereof). Be confident and assertive and don't let the fact that you don't drive a German engineered sports car bring you down and life is good. Edmond is a decent place to live if you have kids. If not? I don't see the appeal, but to each his own.

Thread Information