Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Snobbism is a state of mind. People who come in with a pre-conceived notion about something or someone, and assume them to behave a certain way, are often the catalyst for that reality since they are projecting their own feelings onto that other person.

If you want to have a snobby experience in Edmond, I'm sure you'll come up with one. If you want a friendly experience, you can find that, too. You just have to be open to what you are looking for.

Snobbism isn't all about "rich SUV-driving stereotypes" acting in a condescending manner towards people who drive Yugos or Saturns or Geos (car makes chosen at random). It could just as easily that the Yugo-driver has some pre-conceived notion towards the SUV driver, and would act towards them in a manner that conveys a feeling of jealousy, resentment or general dislike. If, in putting up some kind of barrier, said Yugo driver acts in a manner that is unfriendly or conescending towards Ms. SUV, then who's being the snob?

Anytime you think your idea, and or opinion, and or way of life is "better" than that of the next guy, then guess what - you, too, are being a snob. Money or not. And we've (most of us) have been guilty of it from time to time.

If you want Edmond to be a snobby town in your reality, then you've obviously not tried hard enough to make it NOT be. If, on the other hand, you want to find friendly, open experiences in Edmond, they are certainly there for the taking.

As for Falcone, he's a bit of a snob himself. Colors or not. Let's not get into that one again.

I think its just a rumor that people from the other suburbs perpetuate so they can all gripe about Edmond people...

3. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Did this really need to come back to life?

Seriously, you can find snobs anywhere.

I agree....is this really a discussion? Every town has its snobs!

I'm from Edmond and I'm an uber-snob.

So there's that....

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'm from Edmond and I'm an uber-snob.

So there's that....
    Good point. I've certainly been out-argued on this one!

7. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I just read a quote and I love it .... it sort of reminded me of this thread.

" It's Not Pretentious When You've Earned It "

You have to admit, Edmond has some highly educated, hard working, high income earners. Professionals, Business owners - most people have worked extremely hard for what they have. It's sad to have these labels put on them because of where they live.

But, no big deal..... I can think of a lot worse labels to be assigned.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Wow, this thread is really humorous to me. I was born in Edmond back in the 1950's (in the hospital above the old Broncho theatre) when Edmond was a very small town. In many ways back then, it was Mayberry. I don't remember knowing any wealthy people then though I am sure there were some. It was mostly small town values and ethics with people who worked for small businesses in town or commuted to "the city" to work.

I know the town is a totally different demographic mix today and probably in terms of per capita income, one the more wealthier towns in Oklahoma. But if you get to know the true Edmondites, those old values and ethics still remain. Snobs? I'm sure there are and probably in good number. But no different than in any town where there is some affluence. By the way, I grew up on the old west side of the tracks where there was little to no affluence. I don't remember, however, class envy or a feeling that people in other parts of the town or even in Nichols Hills were better than us or that they looked down at us. In fact, most of us knew that "wealth" was a relative term anyway. We were wealthy in many respects even though we had little money in those days. I really believe they were the happiest days of my life. Why? It was the people we lived around and grew up with that made Edmond such a great community.

It is much, much larger today and there are affluent and notable people who live there. It is still Edmond, however. One of the best places to live anywhere on the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by dalewill View Post
    Wow, this thread is really humorous to me. I was born in Edmond back in the 1950's (in the hospital above the old Broncho theatre) when Edmond was a very small town. In many ways back then, it was Mayberry. I don't remember knowing any wealthy people then though I am sure there were some. It was mostly small town values and ethics with people who worked for small businesses in town or commuted to "the city" to work.

I know the town is a totally different demographic mix today and probably in terms of per capita income, one the more wealthier towns in Oklahoma. But if you get to know the true Edmondites, those old values and ethics still remain. Snobs? I'm sure there are and probably in good number. But no different than in any town where there is some affluence. By the way, I grew up on the old west side of the tracks where there was little to no affluence. I don't remember, however, class envy or a feeling that people in other parts of the town or even in Nichols Hills were better than us or that they looked down at us. In fact, most of us knew that "wealth" was a relative term anyway. We were wealthy in many respects even though we had little money in those days. I really believe they were the happiest days of my life. Why? It was the people we lived around and grew up with that made Edmond such a great community.

It is much, much larger today and there are affluent and notable people who live there. It is still Edmond, however. One of the best places to live anywhere on the planet!

Good post - kind of what I've always said - My family has been in Edmond since the Landrun and none of them are snobby (or wealthy for that matter). How can a CITY be snobby? Are there snobby people in Edmond? Certainly. Are there Snobby people in the other suburbs? Of course. I think its time to end the myth about Edmond.

id have to say that edmond leans towards being snobby. one poster here mentioned they lived in a small home in edmond, then sold it and moved to yukon and got more home for the money.

i think the prices of homes are inflated in edmond compared to other cities in the metro. when you think of edmond, you cant help but to think of affluent. they tend to go hand in hand.

norman is a nice town, with its share of affluent residents, but the mantra there is OU, and sooners...not flaunting wealth and debaucheries.

even mustang is known for nice homes and good schools, but its mainly tucked away due to will rogers airport dividing most of it from south okc, keeping it nice.

but mustang doesnt seem to tout the same affluent attitude that edmond does, nor does mustang seem to attract the interest of commercial developers and/or does it lure people to move there on the same level that edmond does. ..it could contend with edmond on that level, but mustang prefers to keep itself tranquil and tucked away.

edmond tries hard to ward away excessive commercial development from a lot of its more affluent residential neighborhoods. there for a while youd always hear stories on the news about some homeowners crying over spilled milk cause some developer wants to build a big box retail center nestled against the wooden fence of their precious backyard. there so much effort on warding away commercial retail development that quail springs mall and its overflow of commercial development thats epicentered right at memorial and penn is tucked right outside edmond city limits but is still within ease of commute for edmond's residents, and is that area's chief financial support.

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
    edmond tries hard to ward away excessive commercial development from a lot of its more affluent residential neighborhoods. there for a while youd always hear stories on the news about some homeowners crying over spilled milk cause some developer wants to build a big box retail center nestled against the wooden fence of their precious backyard. there so much effort on warding away commercial retail development that quail springs mall and its overflow of commercial development thats epicentered right at memorial and penn is tucked right outside edmond city limits but is still within ease of commute for edmond's residents, and is that area's chief financial support.

Sounds like you are going of one instance dealing with wal-mart. I believe there have been other cities where people haven't wanted wal-mart in their backyard (can't say I blame them). I don't think this makes "a city" snobby, or for that matter, a homeowner either.

Edmond's neighborhood groups are behind keeping commercial development out of what they perceive as "neighborhood areas" in certain areas more than most of the council or planning commission, for the most part they are just responding to the constituents who make noise about it. Edmond has come a long way in allowing development in places that 20 years ago were deemed to be residential only by many who live there. A city (in Oklahoma) cannot survive on residential property taxes alone, it needs commercial property and sales taxes. The Village has struggled with this since Wal-Mart, Albertson's and the Cooper dealerships moved out and haven't been replaced with anything substantial.

13. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Next up: Edmond residents argue whether Deer Creek folks are snobby. Big controversy ensues....

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Next up: Edmond residents argue whether Deer Creek folks are snobby. Big controversy ensues....
    Deer Creek? We're not snobby in the least...well, at least not at my house.

Interesting question. I don't think Edmond is snobby in the least. We are new here, (4/2007) with a Jones mailing address, but the kids go to EMHS. Great school and lots of nice folks as far as we can tell these last 2 years.

Driving around edmond, I see lots of people of all economic levels, from the low end apartment dwellers to the McMansions. Edmond seems to take pride in the appearance of it's community and we really appreciate that.

I work in Norman, and one day I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "Don't Edmond my Norman". So, I wonder what that means? Seems pretty silly when you think about it, especially with some of the regulations the city of Norman straps on it's residents, just like many other communities. Perceptions....

I've also been in many other cities around the USA that do not take near as much pride in keeping their communities clean and nice like both Norman and Edmond seem to strive to do. We have a nice state here, and I'm pleased to be an Oklahoma City area resident.

Bottom line from a 2 year newbie: This is a great place to live! And...folks tend to get what they expect. So if folks come to Edmond or Norman or Moore of wherever expecting snobbery, I reckon they're gonna find exactly what they are looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    Interesting question. I don't think Edmond is snobby in the least. We are new here, (4/2007) with a Jones mailing address, but the kids go to EMHS. Great school and lots of nice folks as far as we can tell these last 2 years.

Driving around edmond, I see lots of people of all economic levels, from the low end apartment dwellers to the McMansions. Edmond seems to take pride in the appearance of it's community and we really appreciate that.

I work in Norman, and one day I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said "Don't Edmond my Norman". So, I wonder what that means? Seems pretty silly when you think about it, especially with some of the regulations the city of Norman straps on it's residents, just like many other communities. Perceptions....

I've also been in many other cities around the USA that do not take near as much pride in keeping their communities clean and nice like both Norman and Edmond seem to strive to do. We have a nice state here, and I'm pleased to be an Oklahoma City area resident.

Bottom line from a 2 year newbie: This is a great place to live! And...folks tend to get what they expect. So if folks come to Edmond or Norman or Moore of wherever expecting snobbery, I reckon they're gonna find exactly what they are looking for!

Appreciate your viewpoint. I think you'll find that most of the "Edmondites are snobs" crowd are from people who have lived in some of the other local 'burbs all their lives. I don't get it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post

so what do you have against norman that restricts you from living there as opposed to edmond? would seem the logical choice since your employment is there. norman is known for great schools too, on the same caliber or exceeding emhs.

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
    so what do you have against norman that restricts you from living there as opposed to edmond? would seem the logical choice since your employment is there. norman is known for great schools too, on the same caliber or exceeding emhs.

Nothing against Norman whatsoever. My wife's job was initially in Edmond, so I chose to make the commute rather than her mainly for that reason. I have been in and out of Norman on business for 19 years prior to moving here. Great city.

The second reason was we decided we preferred the Edmond school system over Norman. We spent a significant amount of time in each city observing the students before deciding where to live. We had lunch in places where the students went. We talked to them and their parents in each city. We visited the neighborhoods surrounding the schools. We talked to school administrators. After considering all of the facts we gathered, we chose Edmond over Norman primarily because I did not want my wife sitting in the commuter traffic from Norman to Edmond everyday, and secondly because the EMHS was a better fit to our kids for various reasons, more to do with programs our kids were interested in than anything else, although, honestly, we would have likely been happy with either school.

My wife now works in OKC, which is still alot closer to Edmond than Norman, however when both kids have graduated; one in 2010, and the other in 2013, we might split the difference and move to Moore depending on my employment situation. Until then, my Honda Accord econo-box with a manual transmission gets 34 MPG, so I will keep burning 12 gallons of fuel each week. You get used to it after a while.

But again, in answer to your question, nothing against Norman. Had my wife's job been there, then that's where we would live.

Im in 11th grade at Santa Fe Highschool and Im no snob at.

I drive an '01 mazda that was my mothers before she bought her '07 volvo and wear semi nice clothes but I like people for who they are not what they own. I mean I do get the comment about how nice/rich looking my house is because my family takes care of it and we have pride in taking care of our house among other things. it does hurt my feelings when people rub in how rich my family is but we're not at all, we're middle working class.

But Ive met people who blow their money on material things or their parents do the same, I just dont understand that.

20. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

ha, ha.. so true! I always tell my kids.. you will always, always find someone who has more than you and someone who has less than you. The secret is to be grateful for what you do have, appreciate everything you have and don't worry about who has what.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

21. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Well this is kind of a waste of space. It's a relative and subjective statement. There are plenty nice people and well as plenty snobs. Same goes for people in every other city in the world. Edmond ranks up there in the affluency ratings, but I think youd be surprised to learn this....OSSAA does rankings every so often of the economics of each school. These include the number of students on federal lunches, those below the poverty line, and some other economic indicators. Edmond Santa Fe High School ranked in the same category as NW Classen, U.S. Grant, Norman, and Midwest City, among a few others.

Now, you can either read into that to say that ESF is more poor that people thouht, or that the other schools aren't as poor as people thought. I was surprised, to say the least. So the perceived affluency of Edmond....isn't always as clear cut as one might think. There are plenty families struggling in Edmond like they do in other burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well this is kind of a waste of space. It's a relative and subjective statement. There are plenty nice people and well as plenty snobs. Same goes for people in every other city in the world. Edmond ranks up there in the affluency ratings, but I think youd be surprised to learn this....OSSAA does rankings every so often of the economics of each school. These include the number of students on federal lunches, those below the poverty line, and some other economic indicators. Edmond Santa Fe High School ranked in the same category as NW Classen, U.S. Grant, Norman, and Midwest City, among a few others.

Now, you can either read into that to say that ESF is more poor that people thouht, or that the other schools aren't as poor as people thought. I was surprised, to say the least. So the perceived affluency of Edmond....isn't always as clear cut as one might think. There are plenty families struggling in Edmond like they do in other burbs.
    It could also be argued that a count into how many homes in which SFHS students live are actually within the limits of Oklahoma City in contrast to the other two high schools would change things. (Just playing devils advocate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    It could also be argued that a count into how many homes in which SFHS students live are actually within the limits of Oklahoma City in contrast to the other two high schools would change things. (Just playing devils advocate.)

Yes, but its not like they are living in the inner city or anything - It may be OKC city limits, but is practically Edmond. In fact, the parts of the Santa Fe district that are in OKC City limits are probably overall much nicer than some of the neighborhoods in the Santa Fe district that are in Edmond - those fringe neighborhoods in OKC city limits but Edmond schools are high dollar.

24. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

You want to find a snobby town, try Greenwich, CT! One man's accusation of snobby is another man's envy - I envy Greenwich!

No...Edmond is not snobby - yes there are snobby people in Edmond..its not that hard of a concept...Heck MightyHorse - I had to work to get a car too...and you know who I worked with? Other people from school...who also needed money for their cars...yes there are rich people, but if you think everyone in Edmond is out to get you and make fun of you, you have issues.

Thread Information