Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Edmond a snobby town?

1. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Chances are if you are a woman working in a convenience store, you're not driving an Arbonne Mercedes.
    There is a girl I know that works as a clerk at a bread store and she drives a really awesome Avon Jeep Grand CHerokee.

Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by CMSturgeon View Post
    There is a girl I know that works as a clerk at a bread store and she drives a really awesome Avon Jeep Grand CHerokee.
    A good lesson on never judging a book by the cover. It's funny there are plenty of rich people who don't mind looking and acting broke, and broke people who like to look and act rich.

I know there are plenty of people with money around Edmond and I'm always interested to hear about the crazy business ventures people have built there wealth in. Hell my neighbor makes a ton of money servicing his vending machines of all things.

3. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoreokie View Post
    A good lesson on never judging a book by the cover. It's funny there are plenty of rich people who don't mind looking and acting broke, and broke people who like to look and act rich.

I know there are plenty of people with money around Edmond and I'm always interested to hear about the crazy business ventures people have built there wealth in. Hell my neighbor makes a ton of money servicing his vending machines of all things.
    Hey! If you find anyone who knows how to make a living running a non-profit, let me know!

Our good friend works for a non-profit in NYC but I believe she is partially subsidized by her trust fund back in Edmond. haha. Good luck in your venture!

5. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoreokie View Post
    Our good friend works for a non-profit in NYC but I believe she is partially subsidized by her trust fund back in Edmond. haha. Good luck in your venture!
    I guess the term "non-profit" should have been a clue...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hey! If you find anyone who knows how to make a living running a non-profit, let me know!
    I think you should include your definition of "living" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    There is a kind of elitism that many people teach their children here. It is an attitude of entitlement instead of gratitude for the abundance they have. It's not my way and the opposite of what I try to teach my children.

However, it's hard not to be affected when the high school girls in their $50K sports car attempts to insult me at a stop light with that high handed way snotty rich girls have. Its hard to not hope they meet their comeuppance in a particularly spectacular fashion. Like maximum security prison or and extended stay in the "luxury" lifestyle afforded by welfare and minimum wage jobs.

I'm not proud of these reactions in me, but at the same time, it's this kind of class consciousness that disgusts me. It is also this kind of class hatred that is unfortunately common place in Edmond.

I like to play a game when buying a car in Edmond. I dress in the clothes I garden in. During the time period the salesman is sizing me up--what do you do for a living, where do you live..what do you drive now..., I give answers that, while true, are designed to describe somebody in a far lower income tax bracket.

It's funny to see what happens next. What kind of car they try to sell me, what kind of usurious financing they try to sell me, and everything else.

It's also funny when it comes time to pay and I forgo the financing and pay in cash.

I doubt I get much better a deal, but it's fun to play the game.
    I am not being rude but I think that you need to move. Maybe I need to get out more, but I have yet to see the type of attitude that you refer to.
    You mentioned, as well as several others in this thread, that people will judge you by what you wear but WHO does not do that. I am black. If I came up to you in baggy pants, a skull cap, boots and an oversized tee shirt, would you think that I was a thug or about to rob? If you respond NO to that then you are the only non-ethnic person in the world who thinks that.
    I think some people need to realize that people, make judgments all the time and Edmond is no worse than Norman, OKC or Tulsa.

Is this a "Edmond, Love It Or Leave It" response? I have no illusions that there is a perfect place full of people perfectly suited to me. But, it is possible to recognise the flaws of a place and still live happily in it.

I'm not a big fan of conspicious consumption nor do I place a high value on it. I think Edmond, as the state's most wealthy suburb, has more than its share of this.

For what it's worth, I lived for 20 years in Tulsa, I went to an Urban high school there, I lived for 15 years in Norman, and I've lived 10 in Edmond. I've traveled extensivly and this class conscious attitude is prevelent in most places there are wealth.

The question is, is Edmond a snobby town. Yes is my answer to this question. The wealth combined with the love of conspicuous consumption tends to make this a bit more prevelant than Del City. I work in Del City and it is a dramatically different kind of place. I have a choice and I choose to like in Edmond.

As I have said previously, "snobby" is a broad generalization. Within any community, there are good people, bad people, and creepy folks who like in vans down by the river. Some places have more of some than others.

Gated communities and country clubs tend to attract more of one type of person than others. Folks who send their kids to Cassidy are more likely to be a certain kind of person than those who send thier kids to public school.

I tend to treat people based on how they treat me. I am not without my own subjective responses based on appearance, but I withold any judgement until I have reason to make a judgement. Treat me like ****, and I will have a negative opinion on of you. Treat me with respect and I will have respect for you. It does not matter one whit to me what you drive, how much money you have in your pocket, your politics, religion, skin color, or ethnic identity.

Come to my house and you will find we live by this basic idea. We do not have a gate on our neighborhood nor would I be likely to live in one. That's me and my family. It tends to be the kind of people we hang with as well.

There are lots of people in Edmond that are similar to us. Cool.

OK I'm from Jersey (as the name implies) and I just moved out here recently and I'm quite fascinated with Edmond. In Jersey (and out east in general) rich people are everywhere, and I'm talking about the million dollar bungalos (sp?) near the shore. Looking at 250K for a decent small starter home in a not-nasty area, and paying probably about 3-6K in taxes a year. Median home prices and taxes are enough to put you out on the street if you're not careful. Snobbery is everywhere you turn out there, and its the kind where if you're not born into it or are not a doctor or lawyer or have a sugar daddy, you can just forget it, you'll never be there. My parents still live in a dinky two bedroom condo in an increasingly degraded neighborhood and they are making 150K a year. However, people accept it and in general get along (to a degree, like any urban jungle).

With that being said, Edmond seems perfectly normal to me, and in fact seems "affordable". I've gotta be careful, we're househunting right now and everything seems like a deal! I'm so excited that there's this like "American Dream" where I can afford a house in the "rich" side of town, with a yard!

We in Oklahoma should realize that everything is relative and that anywhere else its like a different currency given differences in cost of living. Edmond seems the most like home to me in that respect (probably also because there are trees, something I took for granted out east). Anyhow, I think no matter where you are the have-more's will look snobby to the have-not's.

We just have to keep everything in perspective.

10. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

omg... this was me just a few years ago moving from the West coast! It's like a kid in a candy store isn't it?

Let me know if you need any pointers on your house hunt .. just ask for a CMA and make sure you're not paying more than what the homes in the area are selling for .. us out of towners might not be as savvy as the locals because, frankly, we're just so amazed at the type of house we can get here compared to where we came from!

I have to admit, I paid more for my home than I should have because I was so thrilled to get a huge yard on a greenbelt with trees(!) and neighbors not breathing down my neck.. but now I know and hopefully, now you know too..
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Thanks for the advice, Karried!

I totally agree its like a kid in a candy job, it makes me twitchy. Anyhoo, we are being careful, and we've been checking out the CMA (prices per square foot, mostly) to make sure its all relative. We are actually looking down in Moore and north Norman right now because my boyfriend is about to start at OU (and we have some potential roomates to help pay rent on the mortgage). But if we end up staying more than 5 years we will most definately be looking in Edmond (due to school districts and trees to remind us of east, and proximity to my work, mostly).

But thanks for your concern! Must be a hell of a shift from the West coast too. How was the transition for you? Culture shocks at all, how long before you could say OK was "home"? I'm still transitioning, its getting better, but sometimes I ache a bit.

You know, I have noticed alot of California plates around here. We speculated that perhaps Californians come down here and are able to pay for their homes cash if they've owned anything out there. Prices out there almost make the NY metro area look affordable.

12. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I'm still homesick. This will be going on five years.. I miss my friends .. that is the hardest part and I miss the ocean, mountains, weather... but we have a good life here. The kids love their schools, we make a decent living and we travel a lot so it's all working out.

But, it takes a while for that 'ache' to go away.. I'm not sure it ever does.. but I lived there my whole life - this was our first move so it has been a little traumatic. We are good now though.. I say give it lots of time and know that there will be good and bad days .. last time I visited CA, I was glad to come back here....

13. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I moved to Edmond when I was 5 years old and gaduated Highschool at Santa Fe. I have since moved to Denver. My wife is from the PC West area.

Our household had one income from my father. Throughout my time in Edmond he made between 40 and 80 thousand a year. A family of four managed to live on that amount of money, own a house, and never go without. My first car cost 1800 dollars and my second cost 2900 dollars. My brother paid for his own car. I had many friends and still keep in touch with all of them. None of them were any better off than I was.

Most "snobbish" people I have known in life were the ones who didn't know a damn thing about money and what's it's worth. I think part of the problem is the "have not's" are envious to start with. What does it matter what this person or that person makes. In the end all that means jack squat.

I'll never be rich but my wife and I make a good salary. We have everything we could ever need. I am confident enough in what I've accomplished that I could care less what someone more affluent than I thinks about me.

I worked at golf courses in Edmond in Highschool. I worked at Oak Tree one summer. Never did I feel inadequate around the members. I will tell you this however. Some of the richest people in the club were some of the saddest. Many drank to much and were on their 2nd or third wife. They thought they were playboys well beyond there physical capabilities. It was pathetic and they were the only ones that didn't know it.

I love Edmond and when the wife and I have children we will move back. My family is in Edmond and live in Coffee Creek. (nice hood right? guess it pays to live in a town with appreciating property values. Yet another reason Edmond is a nice option).

Although, I think I might give Norman a try as my wife still thinks all Edmond is full of snobs.

One more thing......I nver appresiated the things OKC has to offer until I moved away. The weather here in Denver is amazing and the scenery and outdoor activities are in abundance. However, Oklahoma people are special because there is a sense of pride that is inherant in native Oklahoman's. Oklahoma in and of itself has had a rough past and only tough people could make it work for them. My wife and I are proud to be from Oklahoma and the things happening there are exciting. I can tell you that people who visit Oklahoma are always impressed with what's going on and the friendly people. It's not the surroundings or weather that brings people to Oklahoma and keeps them there. It's the kind, caring, and friendly people that make Oklahoma the great state it is.

Edmon's gotten a reputation for "snobby", but I really don't get it. We live here, go to parks, mow our yards, go tot the grocery stores like everyone else. It's a great place to raise kids, lots of parks, don't have to worry about the kids playing in the front yard. Don't hestitate to come back Svetlana---!

I work in a retail store in a 'high-end' shopping center. If you ask most of the employees in the center the reply would be 'yes' Edmond is snobby. Maybe its just the customer we attracted, however, I worked in the same store in Penn Square mall and the customer base there was far more down to earth and frendly.

I don't think it is. No more than other "well off" areas of the city. I teach in edmond schools and have the most DELIGHTFUL parents and wonderful children!!

but as others have said, you are going to find snobs in every area of the metro..........well, maybe ALMOST area!!

alot of areas of south okc actually have higher household incomes, i think its just the people there.

18. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Depends on who you ask.

Google Answers: Top 5 wealthiest zip codes per state

Oklahoma

Tulsa, Edmond, Broken Arrow, Tulsa, Edmond

But who really cares about what people make? I don't.

I love Edmond, I guess there could be worst things to be called.

19. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Edmond people are not snobby...Nichols Hills people are.

I grew up in Edmond and worked in NH 4 summers.

Actually, the people here in Stillwater might be a little bit snobbier than Edmond. Hmm.

I don't think it is a snobby town. As many before have said, you can find those people anywhere. I am seriously looking at moving to edmond in the next year or two to teach!

Honestly, I would say Edmond used to be snobby. Until the mid 1990s it still had a small town feel to it, and the community tended to look at outsiders with suspicion. When the school system adopted 3 high schools rather than one, part of that small town feel was sacrificed. As Edmond went through near explosive growth to the north that was further eroded.

I remember a t-shirt that the cheerleaders had in 1989 or 1990- they said "At EHS we aren't snobs..." on the front. If you know what it said on the back, you'll know why Edmond used to be seen as a snobby town. Now, it is just about like any other upper middle to upper class suburb.

I think I agree with Echo-Four, but I think some people who live in Edmond still remain snobby to this day. Its just like the same problem that God had with the Israelites who left the bondage of Egypt. It was no problem to deliver them from Egypt physically --- but then God had to deliver Egypt from out of them --- in their attitudes. Similarly, I believe that people who live in Edmond have a tendency to return to their past ways of snobbishness, even though the town as a whole may be a whole lot more pleasant than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I remember a t-shirt that the cheerleaders had in 1989 or 1990- they said "At EHS we aren't snobs..." on the front. If you know what it said on the back, you'll know why Edmond used to be seen as a snobby town. Now, it is just about like any other upper middle to upper class suburb.
    Were these the shirts with "...we're just better than you!" on the back?

There are definitely some snobby people in Edmond, but I don't know that I would label the whole town that way.

I find the whole thing kind of humorous. The same person snobbing it up on the highway in a nice car is the same person you see buying $0.99 bologna at the supermarket. I think some folks have a warped sense of their own success.

Hello, Karried. I too, am living on the West coast, Orange County to be exact, and will be moving to Edmond sometime next year. Originally from Long Island, NY and I still have that homesick ache after 10 years of living in socal. I, for one, am looking forward to a move into Edmond, although I am nervous about being land-locked and the possibility of nothing to do (we have 2 small boys...ages 4yrs and 2 yrs). There is just soooooo much to do out here, you really can't be bored. I think that will be the biggest adjustment for me, as well as the weather and not having an ocean. But, very much looking forward to affordable housing. Haven't seen that.........ever!

Thread Information