Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicfly
    I can say that grocery store down the street.... Crest Foods or something---everyone there during the day is quite nice! That's the most people interaction I get.
    I agree. But, remember that Crest is on the west side of Edmond, which generally isn't as snobby.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HOTTCUTZ View Post
    I should have phrased that different.. I am sorry I bunched everyone in the same catagory..

I kinda told that clerk off... I know everyone in Edmond is not snobby esp the police officer that pulled me over for running a very slowwwwwwww light.. He was awesome.. lol
    Probably because you went into a Shell. Had you gone into 7-11, I but the situation would've been different. Edmond snobs hang out at the more upscale service stations.

I notice I usually don't have the problem in Wal-Mart in Edmond. I think it's just the more upscale stores that attract the Edmond snobs.

7-11 dont sale my flavor of Frapps.. Dont worry I explained to the clerk how rude she was.. The guy she ignored me for walked out the door with me ..
    "You can't fix stupid it's foreverrrrrrrrr!!" Ron White

What I find so funny is that I live in Blanchard there is more money out there than in Edmond.

Twin Creeks Golf and Country Club is in my back forty.. I dont think people realize how rude they come across because they think they have more money than someone else.. I mean I could see if I stunk she would ignore me or be rude to me.
    I am not impressed because your ego is bigger than your common sense. I wont be rude to you if you are not rude to me first, but if you are ever that rude to me you bet I will tell you.

5. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

I can't understand how a clerk making minimum wage in a gas station felt superior to a customer.. nearly everyone makes more than her. What the heck does she have to be snobby about? She's working in a convenience store.

If I were stuck working there, I'd be pissed off too. Gas went up again, everyone's probably taking it out on her.. she's probably not a snob, she just hates her job.

Maybe that's why she was rude, worried about how to pay her bills or something. Chances are if you are a woman working in a convenience store, you're not driving an Arbonne Mercedes.

Now, if you would have said a car salesman working at the Lexus dealer turned his nose up or acted snobby or something ... then I might understand, but a clerk? I just don't get this.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karried
    Gas went up again, everyone's probably taking it out on her..
    Blame that one on George W. Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Blame that one on George W. Bush.
    AMEN.

I also agree on the 7-11's... thats where I fill up and even though there's scary people hanging around outside the people working there aren't too bad. I did get cut off by a richy lady driving a HUGE-MUNGOUS Super Useless Vehicle when I was trying to put gas in the U-Haul I used to move here. She caused me to have to back out and over a curb I swear I'm not that bad of a driver!!!

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicfly View Post
    AMEN.

I also agree on the 7-11's... thats where I fill up and even though there's scary people hanging around outside the people working there aren't too bad. I did get cut off by a richy lady driving a HUGE-MUNGOUS Super Useless Vehicle when I was trying to put gas in the U-Haul I used to move here. She caused me to have to back out and over a curb I swear I'm not that bad of a driver!!!
    That's ok.......it sounds like you drive like Patrick .

9. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

"Now, if you would have said a car salesman working at the Lexus dealer turned his nose up or acted snobby or something ... then I might understand, but a clerk? I just don't get this."

Not me. No one is any better than anyone else. Just because someone sells Lexus is no reason to think you are better than someone else.

Edmond has snobs, sure - but so does every other town in Oklahoma. Being a snob is not about where you live, but who you are as a person - in other words many people with money worked very hard to get it and don't have to prove how superior they are by being a snob - if you are a snob just because you have money or because you feel superior for some insane reason, then that says more about who you are as a person. Being rude is being rude, no matter what economic status you hold or where you live. btw- I live in Edmond/DC (about 5 years) and love it.

11. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

"Now, if you would have said a car salesman working at the Lexus dealer turned his nose up or acted snobby or something ... then I might understand, but a clerk? I just don't get this."

Not me. No one is any better than anyone else. Just because someone sells Lexus is no reason to think you are better than someone else.
    Of course no one is better than anyone else!

Completely missed the point here ..

We were talking about people judging people on appearance .. I was saying that I could see how a Luxury car salesman might come across as snobby while he tries to determine ( based on appearances) if you can afford a luxury car.. it could be any outrageously expensive car dealer.. I was trying to say that the clerk at Shell had no reason to act snobby or judge anyone based on appearances or what kind of car she was driving. We've all experienced rude salespeople.. sometimes they judge customers based on what they think they can afford.. and how much time they want to waste with them because they are equating their commission with time spent with a customer who might not be able to afford what they are selling .. but a Frappe at a gas station? I see no reason for the clerk to act snobby.. that's what I'm not understanding.

( note to car salesman.. never, ever think that just because a client pulls up in a clunker or isn't dressed to the nines that they can't afford a car.. big mistake - we've all seen Pretty Woman.. now that's a snobby salesclerk!)

When we were first married we went to look at houses in CA and went to an Open House.. I was 24, must have seemed really young and the Realtor was kind of rude - a little standoffish, probably thought we couldn't buy anything.. well, we stopped and talked to this nice older guy at a local office on our way out of town.. he was really sweet and we took his number.. imagine his surprise when we called him a few months later and ended up buying a 200K house through him.

12. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    You said you understood if that car salesman turned up his nose or acted snobby. It sounds to me like I DID get your point. It seems to me you were saying you believed people like luxury car sales people or others in higher end products or services have the right to feel superior to people of lower income.

13. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    You said you understood if that car salesman turned up his nose or acted snobby. It sounds to me like I DID get your point. It seems to me you were saying you believed people like luxury car sales people or others in higher end products or services have the right to feel superior to people of lower income.

Oh, my. Over the most simple of posts.
    For what it's worth, Karrie, I understood what you meant perfectly.

--------------------------------

14. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

writerranger... thank you.. I'm sure 99.9% of people understood my post.

Mr A.. You are putting words in my mouth, simply because you cannot understand the concept I'm trying to explain here. I don't appreciate it.

You're not connecting the dots and you are trying to say that I think a car salesman is in a superior position or is better than everyone else .. that's ridiculous.

Last time I checked, a car salesman wasn't ranked highly on the list of most respected professions.

Think about what you are saying for a minute.. go back and read the posts a few times.

I don't think anyone is better than or superior to anyone else.

I'm trying to frame the scenario, that hottcutz described, into a situation that I find plausible.

I'm trying to understand why anyone would assume that a clerk working at a gas station had a reason to act snobby. They are working at a gas station! They don't work on commission, they shouldn't judge your ability to buy anything or act snobby based on appearance. She was just rude.

In other words, if someone came on this board and said 'Edmond is a snobby town' because:

I went into a showroom of high end luxury cars wearing cutoffs and flip flops and the salesman was snobby to me. I would say ' yeah, that is snobby!' I might agree that the salesperson was judgemental and snobby because he didn't want to spend time with a client who might not make his as much money as someone dressed to the nines......that's judgemental and rude. I'm not saying they should act that way at all or that it is right but it happens everywhere.

But, in my mind, a gas station clerk could care less what you look like and was probably just having a bad day and displaying poor customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post

Last time I checked, a car salesman wasn't ranked highly on the list of most respected professions.

Different story in my hometown. That's big bucks!

lqtm

Karried I understood what you meant totally.. and I did not mean to put all of Edmond under the same umbrella..

Blanchard is just as snobby. I know I worked there and I still live there.. When my daughter brings people home, they usually comment on her bedroom. Like she is spoiled and I bet people that see us some places think we might be snobby. However she has friends that make more in a year than I will see in a couple of them and they are as sweet as can be..

Oh yeah I traded off my sports car. So now I fit into "my own kind"...lol

17. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

It doesn't matter what anyone does for a living. Your profession doesn't give you the right to act snobbish or uppity to anyone. Why a clerk in a gas station would be uppity is beyond me, but I've known people like that. And I have known very snobby lawyers and doctors. But I have known snobby wives of men who are well-paid and they have no real education of their own!

People just need to be a little kinder.

I lived in Edmond for 5 years. I didn't really like it; I felt like an outsider, just like I did back home. But I think people back home, in Marietta, were WAY snobbier than Edmondites. For the most part. And they had no reason to be whatsoever.

I remember trying to find a summer job in Edmond. What a joke. These ladies in an antique store looked down their noses at me when I asked if they needed any summer help. They gave me the "Miranda Priestly" look from Devil Wears Prada. I was like, hello! You work in an antique store!
    Still corrupting young minds

If only I could describe some of the looks I got when I asked for applications in some of the stores here!

I would say that was the driving force behind me returning to my computer and massing out my resume on job finder websites.

There is a kind of elitism that many people teach their children here. It is an attitude of entitlement instead of gratitude for the abundance they have. It's not my way and the opposite of what I try to teach my children.

However, it's hard not to be affected when the high school girls in their $50K sports car attempts to insult me at a stop light with that high handed way snotty rich girls have. Its hard to not hope they meet their comeuppance in a particularly spectacular fashion. Like maximum security prison or and extended stay in the "luxury" lifestyle afforded by welfare and minimum wage jobs.

I'm not proud of these reactions in me, but at the same time, it's this kind of class consciousness that disgusts me. It is also this kind of class hatred that is unfortunately common place in Edmond.

I like to play a game when buying a car in Edmond. I dress in the clothes I garden in. During the time period the salesman is sizing me up--what do you do for a living, where do you live..what do you drive now..., I give answers that, while true, are designed to describe somebody in a far lower income tax bracket.

It's funny to see what happens next. What kind of car they try to sell me, what kind of usurious financing they try to sell me, and everything else.

It's also funny when it comes time to pay and I forgo the financing and pay in cash.

I doubt I get much better a deal, but it's fun to play the game.

Another story about how kids learn class hatred.

I was going with my brother, a quite prosperous business man from Tulsa, and my family to Moe's a few weeks ago.

There was one of those silly Hummer Limos in the parking lot that carried the 10 year old "princess party" participants around where ever they were going.

The Princesses were sitting directly next to the Moe's door acting in a typical way 10 year olds act when assembled enmasse. Except, they seemed to be positioned specifically next to the door to judge everyone who entered with that haughtiness engendered by a learning that those who are in the Limo are superior to those who are not.

I was herding my 4 kids and not paying so much attention to the little *****es until my brother said, "Those little *****es were dissing us." I said, "Because we arrived in a van instead of a limo?" He said, "or maybe just because they are stuck up little *****es."

I couldn't have agreed more.

21. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    Another story about how kids learn class hatred.

I was going with my brother, a quite prosperous business man from Tulsa, and my family to Moe's a few weeks ago.

There was one of those silly Hummer Limos in the parking lot that carried the 10 year old "princess party" participants around where ever they were going.

The Princesses were sitting directly next to the Moe's door acting in a typical way 10 year olds act when assembled enmasse. Except, they seemed to be positioned specifically next to the door to judge everyone who entered with that haughtiness engendered by a learning that those who are in the Limo are superior to those who are not.

I was herding my 4 kids and not paying so much attention to the little *****es until my brother said, "Those little *****es were dissing us." I said, "Because we arrived in a van instead of a limo?" He said, "or maybe just because they are stuck up little *****es."

I couldn't have agreed more.
    Outsider, I really don't want to indulge in negativity, but it seems from your posts (and your username) that you are constantly looking for things to be mad about! Anywhere you go you can find unpleasantness if you look hard enough. Earlier on this thread I posted a list of really cool, down to earth places in Edmond. Spots where the "real" Edmondites hang out, not the McMansion types. Have you tried any of them? Have you made an effort to connect with anyone in town? Seriously, there are some truly wonderful people here, and if you take the time to visit with them I'm sure you will begin to understand why we love our town!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Outsider, I really don't want to indulge in negativity, but it seems from your posts (and your username) that you are constantly looking for things to be mad about! Anywhere you go you can find unpleasantness if you look hard enough. Earlier on this thread I posted a list of really cool, down to earth places in Edmond. Spots where the "real" Edmondites hang out, not the McMansion types. Have you tried any of them? Have you made an effort to connect with anyone in town? Seriously, there are some truly wonderful people here, and if you take the time to visit with them I'm sure you will begin to understand why we love our town!
    Well said, Tim.

23. Default Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Why, thank you Pug!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

I have to agree, I've lived in many towns in Oklahoma and travel domestically and internationally very frequently and I'm always happy to be back in Edmond. The people here are extremely friendly for the most part and there is more culture than would appear on the surface. Like Tim said you can find unpleasantness of all kinds everywhere. I think the Edmond bandwagon bashing is just to easy for people so everyone likes to join in.

Thumbs up Re: Is Edmond a snobby town?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yes, no, and why?
    Hello,

My name is Andre'e. I have lived OK for about 30 years. I'm a very "happy to live here" Edmond resident. No, Edmond is not a snobby town. It is full of the rich and famous but I have never recieved negaitve treatment from anyone.

I am a single foster parent with five children. Three are dissabled. The Edmond school system is primarily the reason I remained here. They have the best Special Needs Education program around. We are blessed.

I love Edmond because it offers "everything" - except a ZOO. The speed limits are faster and the streets are smooth sailing. I like the fact that so much of OK's money is settleing here because it keeps it clean and pretty.

If you think Edmond is "snobby" - maybe, just maybe - you have a chip on your sholder you need to loose! Judge Edmond by its beauty and charm - not the people that hurt your feelings.

Thread Information