Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pond behind Chili's?

1. Default Pond behind Chili's?

Does anyone know what in the world the 5 year (it's seems like its been that long) project behind Chili's and next to the new BJ's is going to be? They have been working on that forever and nothing seems to be moving that fast. It would be cool if it ever got finished!

2. Default Re: Pond behind Chili's?

I once heard it was for chili's to have a patio bar and patio seating over the concrete pond. Haven't heard anything about that in a year or two though. Hopefully a chili's worker has some info!

Default Re: Pond behind Chili's?

Any updates as to what this will be?

Since this is my first post and we were just discussing this the other day, I'll chime in here for my first post.

I was told basically what oudirtypop had said. It was to add "ambience" to the area as well as dine out by the water or stroll around the "cement pond". As for it taking so long I was told that there were zoning, legal, money and property right issues that could never get worked out.

We were dining there this past weekend and me and the wife were talking about it and an older couple that was seated by us joined in on the conversation and that is what they had told us.

You can take all this with a grain of salt like I did, but at least it sounded like a plausible explaination.

This is off topic but does anyone know why the huge vacant dug location over on that strip has remained empty? It is an eyesore.

The pond serves a detention facility (controlled runoff of storm water) for a large area south of Main Street, including Sam's parking lot. It is designed to be an amenity once it is completed. It has been drained (yes it will hold water, contrary to what some may say) so work can be done on the pad just to the east of Chili's. This is not part of Chili's. It will be a new upscale restaurant at the water's edge. There are no zoning, legal or property rights issues at this time. It is a difficult engineering project because of the complexity of design and working around the detention facility. Be patient, when it is done it will be cool.

Any updates on this project?

It is a strange deal. That pond has been there since Chili's was constructed in the late 1980's. And, since then, it has been drained, messed with, filled up again, drained, messed with, etc. None of this seeming to serve any eventual purpose.

Now there are actual footings being poured. For what, I don't know.

About two years ago a coworker of mine, who was on the Norman Planning Commission, told me it was for a seafood restaurant. He would know. But that hasn't happened.

About 3 months ago I was in Chili's and overheard a waiter talking about it. I asked him and he said he didn't know, but that every day there were about 5 workers slowly working on the site and the owner/foreman would eat lunch EVERY DAY in Chili's and sit at the booth near the window and watch them. He said they make very little progress each day. This doesn't seem like a project that is well planned or executed--it certainly doesn't indicate a project backed by experience, well-funded restauranteurs. I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Every other time I go by there some guy in a big black Mercedes is driving around in the mud next to the pond. Figure it must be the GC reviewing the progress, but I wish he'd keep that nice Merc out of the mud and do a walking inspection instead.

I've seen him too. Usually he is parked down on the creek bank just setting there watching.

It is probably some kind of toxic chemical sewage pond that the public isn't supposed to know about, either that or a secret X-files exploration alien burial ground.

Remember that X-Files episode with the fluke-worm dude? I'm not saying I've seen anything... but...........

I saw the dude in the Merceedes tonight driving around that thing, back and fourth. I overheard a waiter say something like "It is going to be a seafood restaurant" but he wasn't talking to me.

bump, anyone know anything?

That has got to be the slowest construction project I have ever seen. Lots of pipes and poles and stuff sticking out of the ground last time I went by, but couldn't figure out what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by FlounderinDC View Post
    I saw the dude in the Merceedes tonight driving around that thing, back and fourth. I overheard a waiter say something like "It is going to be a seafood restaurant" but he wasn't talking to me.
    He is the developer.

Drove by it yesterday for the first time in a few months and I don't think I could tell that anything had been done since the last time I went by. So bizarre.

I heard it is the guy who owns (or owned at one time) Legends. Not sure what it is going to be. I did hear the whole seafood restaurant bit...

Wayne Copeland (the guy who at one time owned Chili's) is developing Ed Noble Parkway. His reputation as a so-called perfectionist, mind changer is legendary. So don't be in a hurry on some of his construction projects. He re-did/ re-designed his own home five times before settling on a final design.

Correct, Silliman. BTW, his house is still a work in progress. LOL

21. Default Re: Pond behind Chili's?

I talked with the owner last week. He said it is going to be a restaurant called waynes place or something like that. He said he thought it would be open late this year. the food would be "like what you would eat at home"

Haha I saw the Mercedes today for the first time just randomly driving by.

Quote Originally Posted by oudirtypop View Post
    I talked with the owner last week. He said it is going to be a restaurant called waynes place or something like that. He said he thought it would be open late this year. the food would be "like what you would eat at home"
    oudirty, was the owner Wayne Copeland ? Maybe he wants to have another restaurant since he left Legends years ago.

This is hilarious that everyone keeps mentioning the mysterious Mercedes. Even I've seen it!

i heard they are putting water taxi's on the pond behind chili's, can't remember who told me that.

Thread Information