Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pond behind Chili's?

Default Re: Pond behind Chili's?

I worked at that Chili's for five years during college, and that pond remained empty every single day. I've heard rumors that the site was supposed to be a Joe's Crab Shack (before the original one next to Cracker Barrell was built then demolished making way for Saltgrass), an upscale Chinese restaurant (like PF Changs) or possible for a Ted's Escondido (before the new one was built next to Saltgrass).

It's true, the owner would come into the restaurant in the middle of the afternoon, sit at the table closest to the back window on the patio and just watch the construction or go over his notes. Sometimes he would have somebody with him, but most of the time he was just by himself. My customers always asked me what was going in there, but we never knew the answer. It was funny b/c everybody assumed the initial construction phases were a sign that a new restaurant was coming in soon, however they didn't realize the construction had been going on since before 2002!

If you drive by the site now, there are some steel beams going up, but I don't remember seeing a sign or anything w/ more info on it.

I'm thinking opening night at the new place will make a nice tie in for my granddaughter's sweet 16 party. then again, she's already two months old, so that may be overly optimistic on my part

There's a structure now rising out of the ground. They have the steel framework up and there's a large load of framing lumber waiting.

We'll see...

I've heard pretty much the same info, Wayne Copeland, a local developer is building a privately owned seafood restaurant.

Copelin, not Copeland

I ate at BJ's the other day and they were working on the structure. Looks like all the steel is up, there are wood roof trusses to the East of the structure and there were people out there working on it. It was after the rains and water was wavy and bumpy. Looks really interesting though - looks like they might have a boat dock that comes right up on the West side of the building. Will be interesting to see how it turns out...

I have heard it is going to be an upscale steak house....should be interesting considering Mahogany's was rumored to be going in at UNP.

Magoo, it is Wayne Copeland. He is the developer and Ed Copelin is the owner of the store on Main.

Don't count on it being open in your lifetime! LOL

Wayne Copeland is the developer and the mysterious mercedes is his. He does like everything done just so-so and I'm sure that's why it is taking so long. Supposed to be an upscale restaurant, this is the first I've heard about seafood though.

I was just by there the other day and it looks like that they have most of the steel work completed. It just seems kind of small to me, but it's probably just the angle I always see it from.

Drove by there yesterday and there is some wood frame sticking up now form the steel, looks like it might be part of the roof. It's starting to take shape.

Wayne Copeland = bizarre behavior. I can't say specifics but this guy is one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Woman View Post
    Wayne Copeland is the developer and the mysterious mercedes is his. He does like everything done just so-so and I'm sure that's why it is taking so long. Supposed to be an upscale restaurant, this is the first I've heard about seafood though.

Ok, how original, an upscale seafood restaurant in the middle of a pond.

Maybe they plan to let you go out and catch your dinner in the pond.

Spoke with my brother-in-law who is a manager at BJ's yesterday and he said that the restaurant will be an upscale steak house. But who knows, this thing has been under construction for ever. I don't which is slower the supposed restaurant next to the pond or the interurban that is supposed to be at the corned of ed noble and lindsey.

Quote Originally Posted by MestaParkMan View Post
    Wayne Copeland = bizarre behavior. I can't say specifics but this guy is one of a kind.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Very odd!

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    I don't which is slower the supposed restaurant next to the pond or the interurban that is supposed to be at the corned of ed noble and lindsey.
    Yeah, I'm about tired of hearing Dean and er Rosser talk about the IU coming to Norman soon. By the time that gets built OU will have won 4 more national titles.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Yeah, I'm about tired of hearing Dean and er Rosser talk about the IU coming to Norman soon. By the time that gets built OU will have won 4 more national titles.
    that is oh so true!

I agree, I own a 420 SEL No Benz should be treated that way!

Does anyone know yet what restaurant is being built? I was by there yesterday and looks like things are progressing along....slowly but surely.

Drove by this place yesterday and it looks like it's getting close to completion. Nice looking place too. Anyone know for sure what it's going to be?

it is finally starting to take shape, i seen the black car there today also driving in the field...lol

It's going to be a Laredos.

Quote Originally Posted by HFK View Post
    Every other time I go by there some guy in a big black Mercedes is driving around in the mud next to the pond. Figure it must be the GC reviewing the progress, but I wish he'd keep that nice Merc out of the mud and do a walking inspection instead.
    That's Wayne Copeland, the owner of the property. Actually, two years is considered a relatively short time for a Wayne Copeland project. But it will be nice when it's finished. If you think I'm kidding about the two years, consider this: when he had an interest in Legends, he remolded the place five times. When he built his own house he had it almost finished then gutted it and rearranged the rooms. And then when it was nearly completed the second time with the drywall finished, he enlarged two rooms again. What should have been an eight month project took many, many more months, even years.

There was a photo and short article in the Oklahoman My Norman section this morning about this and it shed little light since Wayne refused to say anything other than it is a future restaurant. But he would not give the name, type of restaurant, or when it will open.

http://newsok.com/norman-restaurant-...rticle/3343002

ddavidson, what is your source on it being a Laredos and what is Laredos?

Hooters!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information