Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

Default OKC MAPS III light-rail link

Does anyone know if there are any plans on extending this system to Norman? I've checked the OKC boards and no one seemed to mention it...

2. Default Re: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

Hey super, good to have you on here!

From what i have heard in the past, eventually, edmond, yukon, moore/norman, and midwest/del would all be connected. It sure makes sense, but that could mean 30 years from now. Thats a lot of track.

I live in south moore, basically norman and i wouldn't mind hopping on a light rail to go eat dinner and go to a movie in bricktown. Cheaper to pay $1 each for us than 5-10 for a crappy parking spot.

I think it would be pretty cool if they did expand it that far in the original planning, but i think that would be like a phase 2 or 3 probably. Hope someone knows more info on this, this is an interesting thread.

Default Re: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

I agree, it would be so much easier to just hop on the train and go to the city then driving and trying to find parking! Plus it would be nice to visit the other metro communities without having to drive.

4. Default Re: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

Have you ever rode the DART in dallas? its phenomenal. The only problem is that it doesnt run late at night, like after 12. I think you could curb some drunk driving by having it run like from bricktown out until like 245 or something. Encourage a lot of people to take that instead of driving after drinking....

It wouldn't be light rail but rather commuter, or heavy, rail in between Norman and downtown OKC. I created a thread in the Metro subforum about possible locations for stations and accompanying transit-oriented development around them for such a commuter line. It is a great idea and I hope to see it happen sometime soon. OKC need only look to the south down I-35 to see the wonders DART has done in Dallas/Ft. Worth and further south they are getting ready to do the same thing in Austin which is only slightly larger than the OKC Metro.

6. Default Re: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

why would it not be light rail? Norman to downtown is closer or as close as plano to downtown dallas? Its all on the dart rail system?

Have you ever ridden the DART once in your life?

Quote Originally Posted by Superhyper View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any plans on extending this system to Norman? I've checked the OKC boards and no one seemed to mention it...
    I hope you aren't under the impression that a web forum is the absolute authority on something. After all, all of us on here, we're all just typing heads, akin to the talking heads of the radio.

Yes there will be an Edmond to Norman rail link for commuter purposes. Happy riding. Once it's up, give it 5 years and then some.

8. Default Re: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

[QUOTE=Spartan;83667]Have you ever ridden the DART once in your life?

Sparty, if you are asking me, i have ridden it probably 50 times...have you ever rode it and why does it matter?

Light rail = streetcars, like how the DART trains are as they move through downtown Dallas making numerous stops. Heavy rail = commuter rail which is what this system would be utilizing existing track and/or right of way to move from Norman to downtown with maybe only 2-3 stops in between, one definitely being Moore and possibly stops in south OKC and the Capitol Hill or Riverside neighborhoods just south of downtown.

10. Default Re: OKC MAPS III light-rail link

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Light rail = streetcars, like how the DART trains are as they move through downtown Dallas making numerous stops. Heavy rail = commuter rail which is what this system would be utilizing existing track and/or right of way to move from Norman to downtown with maybe only 2-3 stops in between, one definitely being Moore and possibly stops in south OKC and the Capitol Hill or Riverside neighborhoods just south of downtown.
    Why would you not have light rail again? Its almost the exact distance, about 20 miles, from norman to downtown, as it is from plano to downtown dallas. They use light rail quite effectively. You couldnt use a commuter train because you would have 10 stops. Thats the whole point of light rail because you can speed up (almost 70 mph) and slow down quickly.

BG, They arent street cars. They are normal mass transit vehicles. Not like trolleys or anything like that.

DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Check it out.

Well, regardless of the specific form, I think its an incredibly exciting idea! As a young Norman transplant(I'm from Sapulpa originally, if anyone knows where that is) I think it would be a great way to visit OKC and vice versa. Both communities have a lot to offer, and I think a good mass transit link between the two could only be beneficial for both. Now if only Amtrak could find a magic money pot and extend the Heartland
    Flyer to Tulsa.

Thread Information