Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I wish I could talk GSA into leasing the space for our office.

IRS "customers" are ill-served by having to search for almost non-existent parking downtown and risk getting towed if they don't get back in time. Handicapped folks have an even harder time.
    And since the IRS won't pay for employee parking, moving to a large ex-retail mall would be a win-win. Heck - I bet the space would be cheaper than the pricey CBD property.

2. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i'm not up to speed on that... who did they 'steal' it from? -M
    LC stole it from the smaller church inside the mall called New Life Church. They had deals with Hobby Lobby to purchase the property and then resell it back to the church for $1. A week before they were to purchase, contracts already signed, the broker turned around, sold his soul to the devil for a small commission and gave it to LC. Bastards.

3. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

And then Life Church pretends to be a good christian group, all the while stealing property out from under another church.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    LC stole it from the smaller church inside the mall called New Life Church. They had deals with Hobby Lobby to purchase the property and then resell it back to the church for $1. A week before they were to purchase, contracts already signed, the broker turned around, sold his soul to the devil for a small commission and gave it to LC. Bastards.
    I admit I have no knowledge of this particular situation, but that doesn't sound like the whole story. There are legal ramifications to backing out of contract if all obligations have been met.

Plus, it wouldn't be the brokers call. It would be up to the seller to decide to break the contract or not. If the broker has it listed he is going to get paid regardless. Now he might advise his seller that a better offer has come in and seller may choose to act on it.

I would suspect that the buyer had given some reason or "out" to the seller that they would be able to void the contract and move on to a more capable buyer.

5. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

What does Hobby Lobby have to do with the mall?

If Sears moves to the new DC shopping center New Life Church could always buy that property....assuming they are still in need.

I talked to a Sears manager at the mall this past weekend and he said they are not moveing and they own that section of the building. So I don't see them moving to the new DC development.

Man, I wish they'd do SOMETHING with Heritage Park Mall. It's near my house and I'd love to have more shopping options in the area.

Unhappy Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I went to Heritage Park Mall this afternoon for the first time in over a year - maybe two. The empty parking lot should have been a clue, but when I reached center court, I was nothing short of speechless. <Redacted by Author>. Although I didn't wander throughout the mall, I went to Bath and Body Works and it was literally one of the only places left open. The endless darkened hallways lined with shuttered spaces was downright sobering.

Heritage Park Mall was opened my senior year of High School just four years after Crossroads Mall. During that time, Saturday Night Live had a recurring skit about a pet store in a shopping mall that was a victim of the economic malaise that was gripping the country during the late 1970s. I didn't pay too much attention since here in central Oklahoma things weren't as bad as they were elsewhere. Crossroads was bustling, Heritage Park Mall was new and we had just learned that General Motors had announced the construction of a state of the art assembly plant south of Tinker.

I don't have a preference as to what they do with the mall, but if it were my responsibility, I wouldn't be able to sleep soundly at night until I took some kind of action to either fill it with something useful or encourage the remaining tenants to vacate so that I could lock the doors.
    Last edited by woodyrr; 05-22-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Statement redacted to prevent possible appearance of plagiarism

10. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I was thinking about this when I was at Sears the other day. I don't really remember the last time I was many people buying clothes at Sears but just in case, I had 2 ideas. The main idea is what can we do to vacate the building to make it ready for a new use.

1 - Take Sears out and put it in the old Wal Mart. This would put Sears in a similar square foot building. They already have the auto garage and plenty room for all the stuff the have now.

2 - Put Sears in the old Albertsons....convert it to a Tools/Appliances/Auto/Electronics only facility. Toss the clothes and other stuff. Do people buy this stuff at Sears anymore?

So this way we utilize the other structures near by that have been empty. It also leaves HPM empty for conversion to office space.....something MWC is in need of. If you don't think so, just drive around and check out how many of those awful little house-like single use office buildings are going in everywhere. They are such a horrible and inefficient use of land and resources. The municipal offices could move in and vacate their old strucutre at Reno/Midwest. That would give the Police Dept. room to expand. We've seen how the Fire Dept. has been given the resources to do so, why not give the Police the same?

HPM as a building is in GREAT shape. It just needs some freaking bodies inside. The stores that are left can go in any strip mall in town. When people know where they are, they'll go shopt here. IE, no matter where Bath and Body Works moves to, people will drive to it. Throw in some eateries in the center and make it into an actual food court and then the folks that work in the offices inside, have a place to eat.

11. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

It's shocking to me that nothing has been done to HPM. What are the owners waiting on? This mall has been gone for years, yet you don't hear a peep from them. They can't be making money, can they?

Also, something needs to be done with the old Target/WalMart/Albertson's buildings. What an eyesore. Any word on this??

And Bomber, good ideas there, but I don't think Sears is going to make that move. If they leave, they leave the area. Why would they move a mile to a worse location? Reno/Midwest Blvd. is quite bare nowadays.

12. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

looks like they are going to renovate the mall.Heritage Park Mall | Shop on the Edge of Midwest City

13. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

That looks pretty awful.

I am pretty sure I have seen that rendering for quite a while here and there...a pipe dream, I think.

That was posted about two years ago - and two owners ago, I believe

It is so ugly, it'd be embarassing - glad it didn't happen!

15. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

OMG, that shocked me!

What if they are still planning to do that? If this was updated on the site 2 years ago, then why doesn't it list Dillards as an anchor? Looks up to date to me.

I was wondering who the heck owns HPM?
    And with the GM troubles is the news they're building a new line in oklahoma still on?

God, that thing is hideous.

residential? no..theres no point in building new homes if theres no real jobs to be had within a key given radius. gm is gone, and tinker isnt what it was.

shopping? doubtful..at least not at this point. the new shopping center at 29th and air depot is too close in proximity for another to be erected.

i think the mwc area is in dire new of a new theatre.so they could build like a 16 screen theatre there. the closest ones currently are the ones by crossroads mall (another mall on the way to being defunct as well)

personally, id bulldoze the land and build an ornate japanese garden complete with a small pond spanned over with a moon bridge.

id renovate it to restore it with all the anchors it had back in the mid 1980's..when the mall was at its height of its success.

20. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I drove by the mall today and I wonder how long will it be before the city makes them mow. The upkeep on the property must be non existant. They have weeds growing in the cracks in the parking lots. The place looked like an abandoned house.

Quote Originally Posted by so1rfan View Post
    I drove by the mall today and I wonder how long will it be before the city makes them mow. The upkeep on the property must be non existant. They have weeds growing in the cracks in the parking lots. The place looked like an abandoned house.
    The Sears store does pretty good thier. The wife has been working there for 3 months and makes good money on comission.

I will agree they need to mow the lawn and tow all of the junk cars on the back side of the mall. There is a retired OCPD patrol car that has been there for months. The driver's side window is busted out and a wheel is missing.

they actually had the nerve to print up brochures and distribute them as far as Tulsa, embarrassing. It just needs to be razed; malls, in most cases aren't as profitable.

23. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Apparently, the City of Midwest City has stepped in to help with getting HP moving in a direction, whatever that direction might be.

More information here please? How is MWC stepping in to help mmonroe? And okcustu who distributed pamphlets?

I guess the new owners, it was maybe two years ago. It had the fugly renovations that never happened.

Thread Information