Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

1. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

You'd still have to have someone with deep pockets to buy out the three anchors of HPM to do it, not to mention Whataburger and Pelicans in the parking lots...

The Cherry Center still has a lot of space to rent out...

I'd like to see the baseball field by the Vo-Tech replaced with an expanded campus of the Mid-Del Vo-Tech. There were talks about the District buying the land west of the campus where Furr's was, but no dice. Or, what about getting rid of the old skating rink?

6-7 floor office towers does sound nice.

Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well how about we think about something that doesn't involve a red light district and talk about something that actually has a chance to work.

And the next time someone suggests something like that, why dont you ask how you would feel if it were across the street from your house.
    Agreed! I live in the housing addition behind HP Mall and the last thing we need is to see one of the last really nice neighborhoods in MWC go to heck in a handbasket.

3. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I was poking around the OKC Chamber site today and found this little snippet of information I think most people here would be interested in.

"Midwest City also has the highest median income in the State."

Those of you that continually do so, remember that the next time you start bashing my home.

but, but, but, isn't that already why they bash mwc?!?!?!

5. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Median Income?

I was poking around the OKC Chamber site today and found this little snippet of information I think most people here would be interested in.

"Midwest City also has the highest median income in the State."

Those of you that continually do so, remember that the next time you start bashing my home.

Atta' boy, bombermwc - you tell 'em for all of us!

Oh, and:
    Median is a mathematical result that indicates that one half of the group is higher and one half lower.

7. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I know what Median is.. I'm talking about, how do you have a high medium?

Geez, mean medium mode

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post

Geez, mean medium mode
    Go to school, dont wear your hat side wise, talk with your mouth and not your fingers.
    Do what your told and do it well. Dont cause something to be re done.
    Dont bad mouth your employerer within ear shot of the work place and never never with fellow employees
    Go to work on time and stay late if requested.
    Seems to work for most people.
    Oh yeah and it takes years to............COmeing outa high school wont automatically get you a 6 figure job

But this thread was about heritage park mall.
    Keep the sears............................................. .......

9. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

What are you talking about. You seem to never make any kind of sense at all.

What are you talking about. You seem to never make any kind of sense at all.
    I have no idea.. Dont worry about it as it just to beyond any way......

11. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

So the basic point here is, that all these places that talk about having all this money, also have a lot of poor people too. You would think a city like Edmond would have a high median income, but apparently not. That shows how for each of those high income folks, there are plenty very poor people as well.

Now, turn this into a zip code thing, and you'll see a different picture I'm sure. Then you can isolate parts of Edmond or OKC, but don't have to take it as whole.

I'm not trying bash anyone or anything, I'm just repeating my usual spiel about how people underestimate MWC because they don't know anything about it. They just make a judgement based on driving through it on I-40 or something. There is a lot about MWC people dont see....which is what brings that median income up.

12. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I like MWC, but I'm raised in Del City. I'll always bash MWCHS, cuz I attended to DCHS. Sorry, the Eagles disarmed the bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    ...talk with your mouth and not your fingers.
    BTW, don't talk with our fingers? How do you want the deafies to speak? LoL

13. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    BTW, don't talk with our fingers? How do you want the deafies to speak? LoL
    I dont believe I was talking about the hearing impaired, just moron's
    I also believe this thread had more to do with economics and heritage than morons..........Tag your it............lolololol

maybe they can convert it into a outlet mall

16. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

That would be a nice idea....like a Mills Mall Jr.

17. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

For that to get the type of support it needs, we'd have to bring up the surrounding areas...

18. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I don't think the neighborhood has anything to do with it. There are only 2 empty businesses anywhere near there. Pep Boys (which went bankrupt) and Popeye's...wooo fast food, big loss.

Since we don't have any real outlet malls in the state, I think that would be a more accurate representation of what would need to change. However, I don't see it happening because outlet malls are losing their customers all over the country. People aren't going to them nearly as much because they tend to be built farther out from metros...higher gas prices means less traveling. Think about how many fewer people go to Gainsville than used to.

That's why I like Mills Malls because they take the cocept indoors, and but it in an urban environment. Benefits of a mall (ie not outside in a strip center like most outlets), and youre IN town.

That would be a nice idea....like a Mills Mall Jr.
    My favorite is Grapevine Mills, but it is so huge!

I think you're on to something - now, how do we get the developers to notice?

20. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Everything, to be successful, has to have people, ie neighborhoods. The type of people in those neighborhoods dictate the type of success for a business and THE type of business to come in. Would you place a JC Penny's on the east side of OKC right at oh... i don't know, 16th and MLK? Of course not, the business would not be supported and people don't want to go into that neighborhood. This is my point.

Sure, Air Depot between 15th and Reno has a LOT of business, but it's cluttered, tacky, and starting to look a bit dated.

North on reno you have odd department stores and rental places. Also included is an obscure shopping center, apartments, funeral homes, and to the far, a nice Apartment complex [mark that as a point for your debate]. But to the east of that, an older community, and NE, the hoodlum area, also know as Panick Zone and Murder 1.

Sure, just to the north of Heritage Park Mall, there are nice early '60s houses.

On the south side of reno heading west, you have an old office building, haggered looking buildings, a burnt down seafood place, a bar, on old parts yard, and apartments. On the north side of Reno heading east back towards HPM, you have Anthony's, nice, Mid-Del Pantry, houses, a church, apartments and a small office house. Then, What-A-Burger.

Did you get the message i'm trying to convey here?

21. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

I think you are over-criticising the area. If that were the case, then why the crap would anyone have built on 29th? It was FAR worse off by any measure.

Plus the neighborhood directly behind Heritage is a VERY nice neighborhood. Just because the homes were built in the 60's and 70's doesn't make it bad. It's one of the best places to live in MWC.....nice homes, quiet, low traffic inside the neighborhoods, easy access to 3 main roads. One of, if not THE top rated elementary schools in the district.

Plus I would disagree on most of the points on homes/businesses. Again, North Air Depot. If it's so bad, why are all those new neighborhoods right there within the last 2-3 years? Why is the newest and best apartment complex ( a legacy complex for goodness sake) right there? Other than that, we have one funeral home that needs a little help. But that's it.

Plus South of Reno has been redeveloped in many places. They've torn down some of the old buildings in favor of new ones...ie those crappy house looking places....Aldi taking the old vaccum place. I don't see the "crappy" stuff youre talking about.

West, yeah Captain D's burned down...it's also been bulldozed. It is one of the least appealing views of MWC, but it's also got one of the other best apartments in MWC and even more of the nice neighborhoods. But again, there's been new development there in the Masters Commision next to Anthony's.

East, it's normal everyday stuff. Houses, Braums, Crest, etc. Nothing weird there to complain about.

Now, if MWC was stagnant and nothing was happening, I would totally agree. HOWEVER, all these areas continue to develop and grow. They may not always be developed in the most flashy way, but they aren't being left to deteriorate by any means. Just because we don't have lifestyle centers going in on every corner, doesn't mean it's bad. For someone that lives in MWC, I would think you would be more in touch with what the city has been doing. It's totally not the ghetto people think at all. i don't even consider the area north of 10th part of MWC...it's OCPS and is totally ghetto. It was a self defeating area as soon as it became OCPS.

Geez, mean medium mode
    mmonroe, I'm not being criticle, but just trying to point out your misread of the post. bombermwc did not say that MWC had a high median income, he/she said they have the highest in the state. According to the C of C that is.

I don't think the closing of Pep Boys (the only one in Okla closed), Popeyes, and Captain D's (burned yes, but will not be rebuilt), Dillards and going back to Circuit City (which is now a Salvation Army store - not a good trade) is going to make any major developers or retailers jump at the chance to be at Reno & Air Depot. The track record for that area is horrible the last 15 years.

Being located 2 miles off the major highway would be a tough sell

I think you are over-criticising the area. If that were the case, then why the crap would anyone have built on 29th? It was FAR worse off by any measure.

(snip)

Now, if MWC was stagnant and nothing was happening, I would totally agree. HOWEVER, all these areas continue to develop and grow. They may not always be developed in the most flashy way, but they aren't being left to deteriorate by any means. Just because we don't have lifestyle centers going in on every corner, doesn't mean it's bad.
    (snip)
    i don't even consider the area north of 10th part of MWC...it's OCPS and is totally ghetto. It was a self defeating area as soon as it became OCPS.
    As usual, you beat me to the punch on all points! Well said, bombermwc!

25. Default Re: What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

@bomber, 29th is on the highway, thats why it took off like it did. It was far worse, and they bulldozed it all. But what i'm really getting at is the type of business you have surrounding an establishment, dictates what business"persons" would feel would make them more money when picking a location to invest. Would you place a fine dining establishment next to a strip club and a dollar general?

I did not mention anything about the '60's houses being bad, i said they were nice.

I gave you the point for the NEW apartments, so don't be so critical.

I have seen new development.

Crappy places, how about the tag agency/pawnshop/laundry mat? Or, the cigarette/nail salon next to sonic? Then there is the bowling shop and loan place. Then we also have the old liqour store that looks like the same architect who designed Del Ranchos also did theirs. Don't even let me mention Nino's, I knew the old General Manager for the restaurant on the South Side, and let me tell you, you couldn't pay me to eat there. Filth is clean compaired to whats in there. Even better, how about the old sinclair gas station? Also, the buildings in front of the skating rink.

On reno itself, the goodwill store, need I say more?

The sign restrictions in Midwest City are horrific. Since they can not be too tall, we have midget signs that clutter the eye line of any motorist. It's crazy. I know Anthony, he told me since there were restrictions on sign highth, he decided to put a large flag since there were no restrictions from it in municipal code and people would still know he was there.

The master commission buildings are nice, i do believe funding was provided by Medowood Baptist.
    I was mearly stating what is over there. Not bashing.

I am affluent with the progression in our area, but i'm not happy with the status qou. And, since I lacked mentioning it, the Outlet mall would be a great idea.

@andy, i believe you misinterpreted my understanding of the post and the reply there of. I was wanting to know HOW you have a high medium, as in, what are the factors, but no criticism taken.

@Drake, you get what i'm talking about. But they do try to sell it on the point that it's only 9 minutes from downtown. Even if the drive to and from are a bit blighted.

Thread Information